Agents of SHIELD TV series for ABC - General Discussion - LEVEL 11 - Part 8

Discussion in 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' started by Thread Manager, Oct 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocinante Registered

It's funny because I feel the exact opposite how it pertains to Jemma and the portal storyline , that plotline could become an eye sore fast with all the angst surrounding FitzSimmons and this Will character right now. I fear the focus would be more on the love triangle than whatever planet that is or the threat it poses.

I'm more invested in the ATCU and Lash plot right now. Ward's HYDRA is a close second but if they expected people to stay invested in taking them down because of what Ward did last season then I feel sorry for them. This new faction should be a threat in their own right, killing Andrew wont cut it considering he might not even actually be dead. Ward should be building his own Team of superhumans to counter Daisy's or something to up the stakes.

One thing I hate about Jed and Maurissa's writing is how lazy they can be with presentation. Sometimes things, people, and organizations are just...there without much thought put into how things should look aesthetically. Which is why I'm not too hyped about Powers Boothe appearing, he could just end up being Gonzales 2.0 HYDRA edition.

Kevin Tancharoen seems to have a better grasp of this which is why the episodes he directs always turn out to be some of AoS' best. Visually and in content.

#76 Rocinante, Oct 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  2. BoredGuy Never Did a Popular Thing

i dunno
    Like you said, I don't think Ward's Hydra is much of a threat, and I don't really care about Andrew (though I am curious to know what happened to him in 'that' scene), so that story has very little momentum for me at this point
    The Inhumans could be an okay story, but Lincoln is extremely boring and they haven't progressed it enough to hook me.. add in the questionable styling of Lash and I'm not that big on it

and yes, the Jemma story could get irritating if they dwell on the angsty/relationshippy angle, but if they can keep it focused on the sci-fi/horror/mystery aspects and then don't take tooo long for the reveals to come, I think it could be amazing

3. Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

I'm wondering with the Jemma story if they might be going for Sentry, with the aspect that the storm is the angel of death type thing and that the planet used to be a paradise. That could be interesting.

4. Infinity9999x Registered

I said this in the episode thread, but I was wondering if Will may turn out to actually be the "evil" playing a long con on Jemma to get her to take it to Earth.

5. cph9fa Registered

A bit of fun head-canon here, that just came to me. It probably doesn't have much relevance to the overall storyline, but I want to see what people think...

In CA:TWS, we saw the SHIELD/Hydra helicarriers, using Zola's Project Insight algorithm to target lots of people as potential threats. At the time, it struck me as a bit odd that there were so many of them. It even made me (slightly) question the accuracy of Zola's algorithm.

But now, watching the Inhuman outbreak on Agents of SHIELD, I can't help but believe that a good percentage of those targets were latent Inhumans (obviously, not all of them). We know that Hydra, through the work of Whitehall, has had a knowledge of, and an interest in Inhumans for quite some time. So when Zola developed an algorithm to find potential threats, there's no reason to think he couldn't have possibly found some way to determine Inhuman lineage as one of the (many) criteria for being deemed "dangerous".

When seen in that light, the targeting scene from Winter Soldier can be viewed as a Hydra scheme to exterminate the Inhuman population (among other threats) -- who Captain America then saves. This provides a nice way to tie the TV and film worlds slightly closer together. :-)

For reference:

#80 cph9fa, Oct 31, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  6. Uskok MCU fan

Good theory, but I think HYDRA would sooner capture the Inhumans and make experiments on them, maybe even brainwash them into loyal HYDRA soldiers, rather than exterminate them.

7. InternetPeople Petty... and tiny

They're talking about murdering billions of people, that makes for a lot of potential threats.

8. Vartha Mod of Thunder

9. Loki882 Registered

Actually, they specify the number of people on HYDRA's hit list in TWS. It was 20 million. And the reason why there were so many was because Zola's algorithm apparently took a wide variety of factors into consideration when evaluating potential or current threats. Voting records, tax returns, work history, and so on and so forth.

10. Dr. Evil Registered

I'd wonder how Ward would react to seeing Lash.

11. Vartha Mod of Thunder

...Makes me wonder if he KNEW about Lash all along

12. Vartha Mod of Thunder

Hey, What's this new Jet's name?

13. Silvermoon Made To Be Ruled

Zephyr One

14. Vartha Mod of Thunder

That's right! I couldn't remember what it was, and didn't seem to find it on-line easily

#90 Vartha, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  15. InternetPeople Petty... and tiny

That was 20 million only in the target area

16. Uskok MCU fan

Remember what Pierce said. I can bring order to the lives of 7 billion people by sacrificing 20 million.

17. InternetPeople Petty... and tiny

I suspect they would have to murder a lot more than 20 million people to placate the world. I mean, killing all the liberals in New York probably won't get it done.

But, whatever. It doesn't matter.

18. Silvermoon Made To Be Ruled

The target area for their initial wave was only just over 700,000 (715,854 if we want to be exact) according to the highest "Targets Acquired" count shown on Hill's screen just before the HYDRA helicarrier personnel say "Target saturation reached" "All target's assigned" (and just before Steve get's that last chip put in the final helicarrier)

19. InternetPeople Petty... and tiny

^^ That's good. I was wrong initially. I still stand by my opinion it will take murdering more than 20 million to control the world but whatever, I disagree with Pierce and he's dead.

20. spideyboy_1111 Young Avenger

The Algorithm I don't think was just about people with abilities ... but people who could potentially get in hydras way... which means even internet bloggers and hackers were likely targeted.

I always took the Algorithm as the same concept as the Future Sentinel program in DOFP... even potentially targeting people who would give birth to someone who could be a threat to hydra

21. InternetPeople Petty... and tiny

Which makes that 20 million number awfully conservative. But hey, this is Hydra, I'm sure they will be more than happy to bump next quarter's numbers up providing a solid role out of the program.

22. spideyboy_1111 Young Avenger

well it's about potential threats

clearly there wouldn't be a time with 20 million superheroes on earth either...

23. cph9fa Registered

There are some good points here, but I think it still works. Being Inhuman wouldn't be the final determination of being a threat, but could be one of many potential factors that makes you stand out. Just like how being a wealthy, talented businessman with lots of contacts might make you a threat (like Tony Stark) or an asset (like Ian Quinn), so too, having an Inhuman lineage would be another check in the box for the algorithm to take a closer look at you.

As far as brainwashing, this would have been before anyone knew how to activate Inhumans. While they might have known about the general concept from Whitehall, there were clearly many details they lacked. There would've been little point in brainwashing a latent Inhuman (assuming the algorithm could detect one). Furthermore, if you consider the option of brainwashing, you could ask the same question about any of HYDRA's targets in TWS. Why kill any high risk targets, instead of just brainwashing them to help you? I think the answer is that brainwashing is a difficult, lengthy, and risky proposition. Clearly it's not worth the effort to brainwash millions of targets; it's easier to just off them. Same with potential Inhumans.

Absolutely agree. But Inhumans are one group that could potentially get in Hydra's way.

24. Dr. Evil Registered

If he knew about Lash, I don't think he knows that Andrew is Lash because I think he's going to try to capture Andrew to lure May into a final showdown.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.