Alan Wake.

Alan Wake 2: There WILL be plaid flannel shirts

Just what is this? Is it a sequel? Prequel? Or neither? Does it answer any questions from the last game?

It looks like an "elseworlds" thing. Thinks of it like "Wes Craven's New Nightmare" in reverse. Seems like Alan Wake got sucked into one of his stories.

Last edited:
How "open" or nonlinear is the original Alan Wake compared to American Nightmare? The same? More? Less?

How "open" or nonlinear is the original Alan Wake compared to American Nightmare? The same? More? Less?

About the same ... but the playing areas are larger ...

So far it seems like American Nightmare is more open than Alan Wake, in the sense that everything has taken place in one area so far. But then again I've only played for maybe 20 minutes. :o I'm liking the story, it's really trippy and the voice acting makes me lol coz it really adds to that B-movie feel. I have a feeling it might be a lil short but "Fight til Dawn" is insanely fun so I don't regret buying it.

Just finished American Nightmare.

That ended a bit more conclusively than I expected though they obviously threw in just enough weirdness at the end to leave the door open. So I guess we're to assume if no more Alan Wake comes down the pipeline that he got home alright.

I've always been a huge fan of the combat in Alan Wake and I absolutely Fight til Dawn. Very fun

Finished today.

As a huge Wake fan I seriously enjoyed it but I don't think it will convert anyone who didn't like the original.

It was longer than I expected, more polished than I expected and included some brilliant little improvements (such as a 'fitter' Alan who can run further) ...

If one of the main purposes of this release was to keep Alan Wake in the mind of gamers and bridge the gap to a full sequel then I think it works perfectly ... but they shouldn't leave it too long.

I was disappointed by alan Wake. I've waited for this game for so long, I wanted to LOVE it. I bought the collector edition, and I liked the short stories. the game itself was incredible. the visuals were stunning, and the mood was outstanding. But the story didn't deliver IMO. It was average at best. and the characterization was mediocre. I still finished it 3 times, because I really like the game itself. But I would have liked to Love it. I didn't play American Nightmare yet, but I'm planning to.

Thing came out for the PC and I played the first segment.(got to the lighthouse) So far not feeling it. Does it get better? I remember it getting compared to Heavy Rain when it came out. I dont see that at all

Thing came out for the PC and I played the first segment.(got to the lighthouse) So far not feeling it. Does it get better? I remember it getting compared to Heavy Rain when it came out. I dont see that at all

not really. If you don't like the first segment, I don't think you'll enjoy the others.

It's not on par with Heavy Rain IMO. Heavy Rain was flawed, but really intense, and you could relate to the characters, something I couldn't do with Alan.

Who the hell compared Heavy Rain to Alan Wake or vice versa? Not even remotely similarly outside they both feature...voice acting.

Who the hell compared Heavy Rain to Alan Wake or vice versa? Not even remotely similarly outside they both feature...voice acting.
The gaming community. Both games came out around the same time and were often compared to each other

I compared the two a lot before that first gameplay trailer for Alan Wake came out and it was revealed to be a third person shooter.

The gaming community. Both games came out around the same time and were often compared to each other

That's...odd. They aren't very similar, and they didn't come out that close together (HR came out in February, and AW came out in May, so about 3 months apart). The only thing I can think of to compare the two is they are both maybe a little more story-oriented than the average game maybe, but even that's kind of a stretch.

Last edited:
That's...odd. They aren't very similar, and they didn't come out that close together (HR came out in February, and AW came out in May, so about 3 months apart). The only thing I can think of to compare the two is they are both maybe a little more story-oriented than the average game maybe, but even that's kind of a stretch.
3 months is close enough. Its within a similar window and both were getting their buzz and publicity ramped up at the beginning of that year. Never played Alan Wake till now and thought they were similar based on all the comparisons I remember reading. Playing it now, Im not seeing it much at all. Maybe the dark atmosphere and possible superficial similariites between Ethan and Alan? Gameplay however seems very very different

It's true, I do remembered the comparison between the two games in parts of the gaming community as well but I never got it besides they're games that they emphasize on how the gamers experience the story. HR more about having an engaging interactive movie experience and AW has a traditional gameplay to it with an episodic format. They're both good games nonetheless.

I think it's because both sides were jealous of the ohter exclusive game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"