Homecoming All the technical details of this deal

but is this confirmed?

It's something fans like to say...kind of like an ostrich burying it's head in the sand.
The reality is probably more a collaboration between Sony and Marvel. However Sony has the final say in all matters.

It's something fans like to say...kind of like an ostrich burying it's head in the sand.
The reality is probably more a collaboration between Sony and Marvel. However Sony has the final say in all matters.

I just can't believe there wasn't any money involved. no split in merchandise, no profit in sony lending spidey to marvel's movies... this is all a gamble for sony. they're just hoping spiderman will be more popular at the box office now. so yes maybe spiderman can get back to doing $800 million+ worldwide, but that's not gonna keep sony afloat.

I just can't believe there wasn't any money involved. no split in merchandise, no profit in sony lending spidey to marvel's movies... this is all a gamble for sony. they're just hoping spiderman will be more popular at the box office now. so yes maybe spiderman can get back to doing $800 million+ worldwide, but that's not gonna keep sony afloat.

Connecting to the MCU is a good movie...real good. It will guarantee better box office.

Connecting to the MCU is a good movie...real good. It will guarantee better box office.

i don't doubt that man (it was the ONLY move) but a better box office won't be enough to keep them afloat. these companies make most their money off merchandise, of which sony is still getting none.

i don't doubt that man (it was the ONLY move) but a better box office won't be enough to keep them afloat. these companies make most their money off merchandise, of which sony is still getting none.

If they string together a few good films they may.

but they regain reputation which they have lost massivly in the last months

Anyone knows exactly what the deals with Paramount and Universal were before Disney bought Marvel. I know they had the distribution rights. Anything else?

but they regain reputation which they have lost massivly in the last months

Anyone knows exactly what the deals with Paramount and Universal were before Disney bought Marvel. I know they had the distribution rights. Anything else?

I think paramount got 12% of the box office revenue from avengers.

also, paramount got to have their logo in front of the film (even though it wasn't theirs).

If they string together a few good films they may.

it'll be a very slow process but theoretically, possibly.

i was reading that some mcu property can appear on spidey stand alone sony produced movies. whats the likelyhood that those actors who are signed up for certain amount movies.. are really available to be used in the stand alone films?

Besides being able to throw Spidey in for cameo purposes, mainly to spur excitement and, as others have explained above, sell more stuff, I can only think of one main way that this deal helps Marvel, and that is stories like the Secret Wars!!!!!

Think about it...

Secret Wars is the next logical step for the Marvel cinematic universe after the events of the Infinity Wars. It's a major Marvel event, making it a perfect story to adapt (with, of course, certain tweeks).

Yes they could have done the Secret Wars with the characters they have the rights to, but Spidey was a pretty important character in Secret Wars. Same could be said for other non-Marvel-owned characters, such as the F4, Doom and the X-Men; but Spidey would be a great character to add, and who knows what they might work out with Fox between now and then...

From the hero side of things Marvel is standing pretty well. They already have Captain America, Thor, Hawkeye and Iron Man; all of whom were in the original 1983 story. In addition, they own the rights to other characters that may not have been seen in the movies yet, but could be between now and when a Secret Wars movie comes out. These would include She-Hulk, Captain Marvel and Wasp.

From the villain side Marvel isn't doing great as far as this story. Not one of the villains used in the Secret Wars story is available at this time, as far as already being introduced, and many are currently off the table. Enchantress is a possibility, Ultron (depending on his outcome - though I have a feeling he'll be done post Avengers Ultron), Kang (if he's ever introduced), the Wrecking Crew (right?), and Molecule Man. The ones off the table are Doctor Doom, Galactus or Magneto (I know - he was officially on the good side).

But with this Spiderman deal I would imagine that Spiderman and Doc Ock are usable, and that's huge.

And of course they can add other characters, such as other Avengers, Guardians, Black Cat (I would imagine), etc.

The point is that a Secret Wars story, of course altered, is not oly very feasible, but a very likely place to head to after whatever phase they have plans for (what is it now, Phase 4? - making this phase 5???).

Are there any other major Marvel stories that include the Avengers and other Marvel owned movie characters, as well as Spiderman et al???

Here's the thing: Even if Spider-Man is still a "Sony" character, he is now part of the MCU canon. Marvel doesn't want to let the character get screwed up for their universe.

Not for Captain America: Civil War and the 2017 Spidey movie, no. But the 'free' lease is for one MCU movie, and I expect Sony and Marvel to negotiate a co-financing deal or something to get Spidey in the 2-part Infinity War.

That's when the money will talk.

I think paramount got 12% of the box office revenue from avengers.

It was 8% actually. But that was a hefty $121M just from the box office alone. Paramount got 9% from Iron Man 3, which was $109M.

I think Sony wants more than 8-9% of the profits.

It was 8% actually. But that was a hefty $121M just from the box office alone. Paramount got 9% from Iron Man 3, which was $109M.

The fact that a Spider-man reboot is already getting tons of hype just for beeing announced says to me Sony is safe to get more proffit than them on their own

Sony needs it. And that was different anyway. Did Paramount and Universal have the rights to Iron Man and Hulk? or was it rather easy obtaining those characters?

Not for Captain America: Civil War and the 2017 Spidey movie, no. But the 'free' lease is for one MCU movie, and I expect Sony and Marvel to negotiate a co-financing deal or something to get Spidey in the 2-part Infinity War.

That's when the money will talk.

just one movie? Is that a new detail that leaked? I thought spidey was a part of the mcu from here on out

how is it cofinancing if sony's not getting anything out of it. if they don't get their cut then why would they even pay for it?

As far as I understand it, the deal essentially grafts the character of Spider-Man into the MCU, but without Sony losing their control over him. It's a purely creative partnership that could potentially expand far beyond the two films that currently comprise its duration.

how is it cofinancing if sony's not getting anything out of it. if they don't get their cut then why would they even pay for it?

The fact that MCU´s Spider-man reboot is already getting tons of hype just for beeing announced says to me Sony is safe to get more proffit than them on their own doing the reboot, again

The fact that MCU´s Spider-man reboot is already getting tons of hype just for beeing announced says to me Sony is safe to get more proffit than them on their own doing the reboot, again

ya, but still... why should sony help pay for something they're not making any profit off of... the deal was disney would get to use spidey for free, now unless disney is helping to pay for sony's solo spidey films, it makes 0 sense for sony to help pay for avengers 3.

by the way, does the deal allow for sony to use marvel characters?

^ That's certainly the rumor according to IGN's report on the specifics of the deal that was struck between Sony and Marvel Studios, but nothing concrete has been said on the subject as far as I know.

^ That's certainly the rumor according to IGN's report on the specifics of the deal that was struck between Sony and Marvel Studios, but nothing concrete has been said on the subject as far as I know.

are you referring to my question about sony and marvel characters?

I'm not saying its canon, but its "canon".

The only logical thing I could come up with was Sony lost confidence in Part 3 being a success so they went to Marvel to get help. After all, Marvel does a kick ass job when it comes to marketing!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"