Am I crazy, or is my grandfather racist...

I can speak about this on the reverse flip side of things.

as a (god i hate this ****ing term) minority member of society and a somewhat last generation child born abroad, I can understand that the perception of the western lifestyle isnt always the greatest in the media since they sell by brooding fear and uncertainty to keep us all hurdled together doing their bidding.

now I have my own culture and it's very important as a parent to instill this culture into someone when away from your home of origin. Now interracial breeding could easily be seen as a well of diluting the merits of one's original culture till its ultimately lost to the way of the west.

Just take a muslim for an example coming over to the uk. within 3 generations, it's likely his great grandchildren will have left islam alone and would have forgotten the ways of his forefathers.

I also believe alot of people believe dating leads to marriage and marriage definitely isn't the same thing in the west as it is abroad. These crazy words such as divorce or 'half' make any type of long term culture diluting institution less worthwhile if you forsake your past upbringing for a five year relationship.

So although some people believe that different cultures can live together, when not in equal numbers alot of people fear the loss of multivariate cultures altogether and the first step of that comes with interracial dating, as least from the (gasp), minority's side.

after a few generations, I dont know what the problem may be but it may come down to settlement issues or other things like that.

People will mix... that is inevitable...

from a *gasp*minority*gasp* point of view, as you mentioned, interracial dating will in the end mean the end to that lineage's culture, but I think that's ********. Teach culture to people, don't teach cultural ignorance. Teach your kids the world map. Teach your kids another language. Teach your kids that people are different. You can still retain your culture in your kids, and make them smarter while you're at it. And if it's about 4 generations down the line, then forget about that. It's your kids choice on what to instill in their children, and so forth down the line. SO DON'T BE RACIST.

And from the *gasp*white*gasp* point of view, I doubt they don't want interracial dating for the loss of the *gasp*minority's*gasp* culture. They just don't want they're kids having sex or kissing those damned colored people... AND THAT IS RACIST TOO, OBVIOUSLY.

This, "They were raised in a different time so it's not 'really' racism." bull**** is bull****.
There were non-racists all the way back to the days of slavery, even though most were "raised" to think of Black people as sub-human inferiors who were lucky to slave under a Christian master. :o

A racist is a racist.

I can relate to ShadowBoxing's posts. A lot of my relatives, specifically the ones over 65, have a tendency to say incredibly mean spirited about minorites (and occasionally, cops). Most recently, I had a relative call Obama an "arogant n**ger." They're not necessarily racist in the KKK - type sense (yeah, thart doesn't sound right), but they grew up in a time when that kind of talk and mentality was accpeted and often encouraged, and that mentality has become so imbedded in them that they can't seem to adopt to today's more liberal view of those ideas.

Well, the KKK sense of racism is violent, while other types of racism are mostly thoughts and speech... but if someone says that about Obama, they could just say he's arrogant... otherwise, they're saying "White people are allowed to be arrogant, but if a black man is, then he's an arrogant N-word"... ya know?

Well, the KKK sense of racism is violent, while other types of racism are mostly thoughts and speech... but if someone says that about Obama, they could just say he's arrogant... otherwise, they're saying "White people are allowed to be arrogant, but if a black man is, then he's an arrogant N-word"... ya know?

I guess. Some people I know justify the use of "N" word by saing "Well, w're referring to the low life, drug dealing, ghetto blacks. Not hre ones with successful jobs and good families."

Is there a harsh word that deals with lowlife drug dealing whites? I'm not talking about "redneck", I'm talking about a harsher word?

I guess. Some people I know justify the use of "N" word by saing "Well, w're referring to the low life, drug dealing, ghetto blacks. Not hre ones with successful jobs and good families."

Because they know we're all one missed paycheck away from being on the corner asking the suburban white boys if they wanna get high tonight.

Hey Terry, man, you got anything?

To me, it seems Chairman, is that some people use that excuse... then they can say there's these type of people:

Whites, African-Americans, N-words (unsuccessful), Mexican-Americans, *******s (unsuccessful), etc.

There are all these denominations for unsuccessful minorities? Really? It's all ********, and it's all racist.

i think your grandfather is a product of his generation

I don't think you grandfather is racist. If your grandfather, or anyone else in your family, were really racist, you probably would know by now. That's just my assumtion.

I remember the first time I heard my dad say the n word. I was disappointed. But looking back on it, it's not that big a deal. I know my dad isn't racist.

I don't think you grandfather is racist. If your grandfather, or anyone else in your family, were really racist, you probably would know by now. That's just my assumtion.

I remember the first time I heard my dad say the n word. I was disappointed. But looking back on it, it's not that big a deal. I know my dad isn't racist.

What would you say he is then?

All grandfathers are racist in their own way, and rightly so. Being controversial is probably the only thing keeping them out of a nursing home, for entertainment value alone.

Word.:bh:

[YT]a2I4YXzVK08[/YT]

Fred Willard breaks it down for you.

My grandmother says things like "He's a credit to his race". A lot of older, middle aged, and younger people, have a touch of racism. I know I have my prejudices.

Princeton:
You see?!

You're a little bit racist.

Kate Monster:
Well, you're a little bit too.

Princeton:
I guess we're both a little bit racist.

Kate Monster:
Admitting it is not an easy thing to do...

Princeton:
But I guess it's true.

Kate Monster:
Between me and you,
I think

Both:
Everyone's a little bit racist
Sometimes.
Doesn't mean we go
Around committing hate crimes.
Look around and you will find
No one's really color blind.
Maybe it's a fact
We all should face
Everyone makes judgments
Based on race.

Princeton:
Now not big judgments, like who to hire
or who to buy a newspaper from -

Kate Monster:
No!

Princeton:
No, just little judgments like thinking that Mexican
busboys should learn to speak goddamn English!

Kate Monster:
Right!

Both:
Today.
So, everyone's a little bit racist
Okay!
Ethinic jokes might be uncouth,
But you laugh because
They're based on truth.
Don't take them as
Personal attacks.
Everyone enjoys them -
So relax!

Princeton:
All right, stop me if you've heard this one.

Kate Monster:
Okay!

Princeton:
There's a plan going down and there's only
one paracute. And there's a rabbi, a priest...

Kate Monster:
And a black guy!

Gary Coleman:
Whatchoo talkin' 'bout Kate?

Kate Monster:
Uh...

Gary Coleman:
You were telling a black joke!

Princeton:
Well, sure, Gary, but lots of people tell black jokes.

Gary Coleman:
I don't.

Princeton:
Well, of course you don't - you're black!
But I bet you tell Polack jokes, right?

Gary Coleman:
Well, sure I do. Those stupid Polacks!

Princeton:
Now, don't you think that's a little racist?

Gary Coleman:
Well, damn, I guess you're right.

Kate Monster:
You're a little bit racist.

Gary Coleman:
Well, you're a little bit too.

Princeton:
We're all a little bit racist.

Gary Coleman:
I think that I would
Have to agree with you.

Princeton/Kate Monster:
We're glad you do.

Gary Coleman:
It's sad but true!
Everyone's a little bit racist -

All right!

Kate Monster:
All right!

Princeton:
All right!

Gary Coleman:
All right!
Bigotry has never been
Exclusively white

All:
If we all could just admit
That we are racist a little bit,
Even though we all know
That it's wrong,
Maybe it would help us
Get along.

Princeton:
Oh, Christ do I feel good.

Gary Coleman:
Now there was a fine upstanding black man!

Princeton:
Who?

Gary Coleman:
Jesus Christ.

Kate Monster:
But, Gary, Jesus was white.

Gary Coleman:
No, Jesus was black.

Kate Monster:
No, Jesus was white.

Gary Coleman:
No, I'm pretty sure that Jesus was black-

Princeton:
Guys, guys...Jesus was Jewish!

Brian:
Hey guys, what are you laughing about?

Gary Coleman:
Racism!

Brian:
Cool.

Christmas Eve:
BRIAN! Come back here!
You take out lecycuraburs!

Princeton:
What's that mean?

Brian:
Um, recyclables.
Hey, don't laugh at her!
How many languages do you speak?

Kate Monster:
Oh, come off it, Brian!
Everyone's a little bit racist.

Brian:
I'm not!

Princeton:
Oh no?

Brian:
Nope!

How many Oriental wives
Have you got?

Christmas Eve:
What? Brian!

Princeton:
Brian, buddy, where you been?
The term is Asian-American!

Christmas Eve:
I know you are no
Intending to be
But calling me Oriental -
Offensive to me!

Brian:
I'm sorry, honey, I love you.

Christmas Eve:
And I love you.

Brian:
But you're racist, too.

Christmas Eve:
Yes, I know.
The Jews have all
The money
And the whites have all
The power.
And I'm always in taxi-cab
With driver who no shower!

Princeton:
Me too!

Kate Monster:
Me too!

Gary Coleman:
I can't even get a taxi!

All:
It's true.
But everyone is just about
As racist as you!
If we all could just admit
That we are racist a little bit,
And everyone stopped being
So PC
Maybe we could live in -
Harmony!

Christmas Eve:
Evlyone's a ritter bit lacist!

I blame Chris Rock for that. Ever since he did that Black people vs. ****** skit, there are some people of other races who think they can say the "N" word because they think they "know the difference".

Black, white, and latino families will be okay with interracial dating (sometimes) but it seems to me that asian families are the ones who'll have a problem with it the most.
All races have members who are hesitant to accept their kids marrying outside their race.

I will bring anybody home that I want as long as they are hot:o

As I've told friends of mine... "You can always tell whether someone is racist based on who they let their daughters date." Basically, if anyone has a problem with interracial dating, they're racist.

In a way this is true,
I live in a diverse city, I have friends who are black, white, asian, indian, etc. I myself am not against interracial dating, if I see an interracial couple I dont think "What are they doing together?" like some of my friends/ family do. With that said, I myself dont date interracially. I'm not sure if I'm just not attracted to people of different ethnicities or have yet to find "the right one". Also, its sad to say, but if I brought home a girl of a different ethnicity to meet my family, they would not approve. I'm sure this has an effect on me not dating interracially. But going through college and being exposed to different cultures/lifestyles, I have come to appreciate interracial relationships and seeing these cultures intertwine, its just that feel I could never date interracially.

Senility can be a contributing factor, though there's a good chance it's just bringing up something that he's been keeping hidden from prying eyes for some time. It's all up to you on how you want to handle it, SB. Erzengel's suggestion isn't entirely out there, yet I wouldn't go out with a girl just to prove a point (maybe you could bring a friend and fake it?). But I'd suggest guaging his opinion on race in casual conversation. Nothing really serious at first, but leading up to some of his thoughts on the differences between people. If race really becomes a fixation and it's not just a slip of the tongue, that could confirm your suspicions. Of course, I hope any approach you take dispels them.

Only read the first post, but I'd say it's probably partially a product of the time period he grew up in. I have a similar situation.

My Grandma often says, "Negro". She has a view that Black ppl are always poor. However I've never heard her directly say anything derogatory towards a Black person based on their skin. I think it's just the time period she grew up in, when Black ppl were treated different and many were poor compared to white ppl of the time. I don't think she harbors any hate for ppl with different colored skin, I think she's just partially a bi product of her era. I give her some slack as she did have a hard life.

Also I've seen when she really hates something, replublicans :). She occasionally mutters "Bushy boy" under her breath when the news is on. Anything political pops up and she starts muttering how republicans ruin everything. I figure if she was racist she wouldn't be that good at holding it in when I see her like that about republicans.

I blame Chris Rock for that. Ever since he did that Black people vs. ****** skit, there are some people of other races who think they can say the "N" word because they think they "know the difference".

Um, that goes back a looooooooong way before that Chris Rock skit.

Chris Rock used it intelligently. He made fun of black people instead of doing the typical black comedian thing and making fun of white people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"