The Dark Knight Rises Am I the only one that feels like TDKR prevents Nolan's trilogy from being perfect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christopher Nolan: The end of ‘The Dark Knight’ left the characters in a pretty interesting place. Because we’re trying to make one unified story here, so it’s not another episode, another Batman episode, if you like. For me, that meant really trying to be true to where the characters were left. And Bruce Wayne, as Batman, has made a rather large sacrifice at the end of ’The Dark Knight.’ For that to mean something, he really has to have succeeded in a sense, in his mission. He has to have a Gotham that at least superficially doesn’t need Batman anymore. And that leaves him frozen. And the eight year period is about showing that he’s retired in a sense, that he’s hung up his cape and his cowl. But he hasn’t been able to move on, he’s stuck.

http://www.flicksandbits.com/2012/0...an-interview-for-the-dark-knight-rises/28690/

Nolan has spoken.

Nothing we can say can contradict the director's own word heh.

Which is probably Nolans way of not getting pinned down or alienating segments of fan boys. It's kinda why I was saying this film causes so much debate as there are lot of things unclear. My opinion is he retired after dents death. I don't like it, but that's the way they laid it out. If not, I just need to hear one line of dialogue from anyone saying batman was out and about.

I think though you have to look at the implication of that line. Could batman still have been out there? Sure. Could he have also battled the joker again and could dent still be alive. Why not? The whole point of Blake saying that, if we are to believe Nolan isn't a hack, is to let the audience know batman had quit that night. Otherwise, why not just say hardly anyone or very few have seen him.

There ain't diddly squat anywhere in the whole damn movie from anyone that will give you a teeny tiny hint that Batman was doing a thing as Batman after Dent popped his clogs.

Not a thing.

Way too much of this goes on and for those that do there is no convincing. Lots of people used to argue that Dent was alive, although it never said in TDK that he died, the script stated that he had broken his neck. So what did people suppose? Oh, Dent died but Two Face lived. Of course he did. Until a shovel to the face hits like TDKR proves that he did die.....or did he???

Hahaha people thought Dent was alive, even when he had a funeral and all at the end of TDK?

Oh my goodness me.

3. Nolan says on the special features of the blu ray that the injury he sustained that requires a cane is from the fall he had with Dent at the end of TDK. Can you see Batman being active in crime fighting with an injury like that? You see him limping away at the end of TDK when the Cops are chasing him. Clearly the injury just deteriorated over the 8 years.

Wow! I was right about the injured leg thing. Thanks for the info, I'm waiting for the Blu ray to watch the special features.

8 years is really ambiguous. It could mean 8 yrs 5 months or 7 yrs 10 months. Daggett and Blake probably rounded of the year. The time spent writing and enacting the Dent Act probably was within the time span of my example.

Ha, yep. There were tons debating if Dent had really died. Again, people imagine so much stuff offscreen they confuse it with the reality of what happened on screen. They bring in their opinions or quotes from comic books which have nothing to do with this trilogy. We might not like the fact that Nolan didn't have Batman go on side missions between the years, but it was his series and thats the way he did it.
People say, well it would take years to pass the Dent Act. Again...this is a movie. If we want, we could say that Gotham was in a state of war "remember in tdkr they called Gordon a war hero", and we could say that in a state of war, laws are able to be passed immediately. How's that? :)

Which begs the question why one or two are so adamant to believe this. What is a one or two month difference going to make?

For me, it just offsets the idea that Bruce purposefully rushed into retirement, which is how some perceived it. I don't personally care whether or not those were the two most mundane months of Batman's career, only that Bruce Wayne was not prepared to say "I'm done" until the Dent Act was passed.

I don't like thinking of his lines at the end of TDK as a retirement speech, because he could not have possibly foreseen what would actually become of the lie he and Gordon hatched. I also think it's important for Bruce's characterization in Rises that there's some level of reluctance with his retirement, because 8 years later he's still "just waiting for things to go bad again".

Man, I'd love to see you write and direct a film.

24% rating score on RT come on down :woot:
Ha,thanks! Then when I write and show it, you could tell me what I really meant by everything in the film :)

Ha,thanks! Then when I write and show it, you could tell me what I really meant by everything in the film :)

If your film has a rating percent of 24%, I don't think anyone can tell you what you really meant :cwink:

Yep, I'm apparently that "one".

Well.... :cwink:

Captured criminals exclaiming that they saw Batman is still not a confirmed sighting since the police didn't see him. The only reason why Blake said a confirmed sighting since that's the last time the police saw him.

According to whom? Any eye witness sighting of Batman is a confirmed sighting. Since when is the Police only reliable for eye witness sightings?

"I Am The Night".

So Batman never protects in the shadows?

"I am the night".....ok two things;

1. How does this quote pertain to any of Nolan's movies? Bale's Batman never said that.

2. I am the night is Batman saying he adopts the night when fighting crime. You know, striking at criminals at night.

Wasn't bothered? Really? Bruce told Alfred that the police were not doing their job, and they weren't.

That's his frustration at how inept they were at their job. Not that they were a hindrance to him when he went out as Batman.

The injury, you said, got worse through those eight years. No way could Bruce have a limp from the beginning but yet it supposedly gets worse in the eight years? If he had the limp already, how did it get worse as you say? That doesn't make any sense. To say he had a limp from the beginning contradicts you saying the injury became worse when that's all it is eight years after, a limp.

What do you mean how could he have a limp and it got worse? The limp got so bad that he couldn't walk without a cane. That's how it got worse. A limp can be bad without the need for a cane.

:funny:

No offense taken since you're taking working at a hardware store so lightly it seems.

Only in comparison to a night out as Batman.

When Bruce comes home black and blue with bruises, you know it's easier to work in a hardware store :cwink:

And his quote says nothing to make me think otherwise than what I am now.

And I'm not the only one that feels the same way that Nolan didn't make a clear-cut statement of Bruce having retired for a total of eight years.

I'm sure you're not, but the rationalization is beyond me. His words say it, but you think they don't mean what they say.

It's.....bizarre.

What Batman memorabilia does he have in the cave besides just a suit? That's not a reason, as I said, for him to go in the Batcave to just stare.

The fact that the Batcave itself is a house of memories about where he started as Batman. His costume, his equipment, his bat computer from the Bat bunker etc.

It's like looking at an old trophy collection from a game you used to play years ago.

I could say the same

Really? What has my evidence been lacking? Quotes? Got them from both the movie and from Nolan.

Where are the lines that tell us anything about your theories?

Haha...only in a bat forum could we be debating how bad a limp could get and argue whether a hardware worker or batman has the harder job. I love it.

**update, just got the pre release blu ray. In the special features, Nolan says that people have confirmed sightings that Batman has a tougher job then the hardware worker...again...this is only from confirmed sightings..the limp however has not been seen in over 8 years**

Last edited:
Haha...only in a bat forum could we be debating how bad a limp could get and argue whether a hardware worker or batman has the harder job. I love it.

**update, just got the pre release blu ray. In the special features, Nolan says that people have confirmed sightings that Batman has a tougher job then the hardware worker...again...this is only from confirmed sightings..the limp however has not been seen in over 8 years**

Sorry, but what?

Okay, I'm done with this topic.

Joker, once more, nice talking to you, it's always a pleasure to have a decent discussion with you, but also as always, our discussions expand quite a lot. I may reply to you tomorrow if I have time, we shall see. And it's also nice to talk to someone such as you that won't sound like a total ass(hint to one of the posts above me).

Even though the scene plays out perfectly without a score, I hope someone dubs the scene when Alfred leaves Bruce with this track, starting at 2:12. It would be a cool "full circle" thing to BB.

Edit: lol forgot the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIoJoytDK5k

Last edited:
You should have wrote the script if you're so smart.
Apparently I should have!

None of these superhero movies make sense if you start questioning everything the writers do. I completely understand if you dont like the film, its not everyone's cup of tea. But you're reaching with this comment.
No I'm not!
:exp:

Last edited:
Am I the only one who feels like The Dark Knight Rises lifts Nolan's trilogy to being perfect?

-R

Am I the only one who feels like The Dark Knight Rises lifts Nolan's trilogy to being perfect?

-R
I've been thinking of making an opposite thread lately.

To answer the question, yes. Though BB brings it down.

-R

Absolutely. It's Rises that puts the trilogy in a higher place. There's a sense of progression , conclusion and coherence that are quite rare.

-R

If one can ask if TDKR prevented the trilogy from being perfect, you could definitely create a thread to ask this question.

It's not PERFECT, but what is ever perfect?

In TDK and TDKR I missed some of the dark Gotham that Begins had.

I missed some of Batman's detective work (though that's a pretty minor complaint for me).

Batman's voice sounded forced and annoying at times. I'd have wanted something more like Conroy. Though not sure how that would've worked out.

While Joker is the best CBM villain easily, I still missed some of the BTAS Mark Hamill crazyness.

It feels a bit weird that Batman was only active for like 1-2 years before retiring (not counting his return in TDKR). I'm not sure I'm a big fan of that.

Rachel Dawes is easily there with Raimi's MJ as the most terrible love interest. Though mostly because of the awfully annoying Maggie.

The unfortunate death of Ledger. I want a Joker who's present in more than one film.

The bomb plot in TDKR was very generic.

But, minor complaints aside, this is as close to perfect as we'll probably get. This is my absolute favourite trilogy of all time and I can't ask for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"