Am I the only one that feels like TDKR prevents Nolan's trilogy from being perfect?

Discussion in 'The Dark Knight Rises' started by MAKAVELI25, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex Logan

Alex Logan Yes, Mr. Smith.

Agreed.

2. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

I think, Foley, in his own small way showed that in times of crisis "a hero can be anyone"...even an arrogant d-bag like he was. I think you needed someone in the film to mark the change in the GCPD opinion of Batman considering we go from Batman being chased by the entire department to leading them into war over the course of the film. Granted, we got the bare bones of an "arc" for Foley and he definitely wasn't a great character by any means...which makes me unsure if I'm glad we didn't get too much of him, or wishing he had more development.

Now that I think of it, I think his role in the story could have been a nice one for Harvey Bullock to play. If they had set him up in TDK and established his hatred for Batman, it could have been a nice payoff to have him be the one who gets inspired by the burning symbol and lay down his life for Gotham in the end. Would give it some more weight.

3. BatmanBeyond

BatmanBeyond Shadow On The Run

Speaking of which, were they really THAT repetitive? I seem to remember only two instances where they occurred.

Good way of looking at it and that would've been an actually inspired way of using Bullock.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  4. The Joker

The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

Exactly. Nine times out of ten it's not the actors at fault, it's the terrible writing of the character they are playing.

Foley was fool.

That's exactly how I feel. The way the camera zooms in on his body after he's been killed as though he as some great character we were all supposed to care about.

5. BatLobsterRises

I actually got the opposite impression. I felt like the starkness of seeing his corpse without actually seeing him go down made him feel like just another casualty of war and nobody special. I think it would have felt like more of an emotional cheat if they tried to play it as a glorious death scene (like how they had shot it with that Tumbler stunt). I feel like as is, the intended emotional impact of his death is kind of ambiguous.

6. jmc

jmc away for a while

Yeah....what's your point? :confused:

7. The Joker

The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

We'd already seen lots of casualties of this siege. It wasn't necessary for that at all. I've never seen a movie zoom in on one body like that unless it was meant to show the audience someone important has been killed.

8. Anita18

Anita18 DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

That's what I felt about all the "important" deaths in the LOTR series.

-ducks-

9. BatLobsterRises

Well, yeah he was "important" per se, as he's a high ranking officer. That doesn't mean the movie is telling us we should feel sad. I know I didn't :oldrazz:

10. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Foley's arc good or bad was still just a waste of time to me. It is to be the final installment of a great trilogy with characters that I've grown to love. Instead, Nolan starts bringing in non existant characters like Foley to kill screen time that could have been better served elsewhere.

11. Anno_Domini

Anno_Domini Well-Known Member

It isn't the first time we've seen Nolan use non-existant characters, though. To make it sound like a brand new thing sounds weird to read. You still get characters that you love from the entire trilogy, but also new created characters specifically for this film such as Mr. Earle and DA Finch with BB, Mr. Reese, Lau, Gambol and the Chechen for TDK(you could include Ramirez, Wuertz and Stephens if you don't count them as being inspirations of comic book characters) and now someone like Foley for TDKR.

12. BatLobsterRises

Technically "Foley" was in No Man's Land though. Like Daggett, they changed his first name, but in both stories he's a cop at odds with Gordon. They did similar loose adaptations of Loeb and Flass too.

13. BlueLightning

BlueLightning Caballero de la Luz

I didn't know that, thanks for the info!

14. JackWhite

JackWhite Third Man

Oh snap, I never thought of it like that! Foley could have easily been Bullock!

But yeah, I only remember the hot head comment being said twice. I guess twice was too much in some people's eyes.

15. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Ahh ok, didn't know that. Still, thought it was a waste of time. I don't know. For a movie that was almost 3 hours long, I felt like main characters like Alfred were way under served.

16. BatLobsterRises

Yeah, I see where you're coming from. Foley to me was a "functional" character. He had his role to play in the story and you can understand why he's there, but his presence isn't exactly "adding" to the quality of the film, if you know what I mean.

That said though, they started the trend of introducing a crapload of supporting characters with TDK. I think this is done in part to make the world of Gotham feel inhabited.

I still maintain...swap out Foley for Bullock, and a lot of fans would've been way more accepting of it. Though this would have been preferable if Detective Stephens from TDK had been Bullock from the start.

17. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

I have to agree with you that probably more fans would have been understanding if it had been Bullock then Foley, but again, not to the expense of screen time of faves from the series. I'd have even been fine if the newcomers Bane,Catwoman or Talia would have got that time. LIke you said, Foley was a functional character, and I do understand why Nolan used him. But when your trying to keep that bad boy under 3hours, wrap up storylines, introduce new characters and new storylines, its alot to get under one roof.

18. The Eradicator

The Eradicator Well-Known Member

Bingo! This is exactly what felt somewhat 'off' about TDKR, in comparison to BB and TDK. Gotham did not feel like an inhabited world, especially when it came to the police department.

Besides all the complaints about a lack of a voice for the citizens of Gotham, the lack of an actual world for Gotham in TDKR was perhaps its biggest weakness.

19. ShadowBoxer

ShadowBoxer Well-Known Member

Foley, Daggat, and Holly were three characters in the movie that should have been cut out entirely, they added nothing to the overall movie.

20. JackWhite

JackWhite Third Man

Daggett was awesome. If you cut him out, you don't get the famous scene of Bane killing him!

21. ShadowBoxer

ShadowBoxer Well-Known Member

It would have been awesome if he didn't get killed off scene. LOL

22. JackWhite

JackWhite Third Man

That's artistic merit though. Kind of like how in the original ESB you don't see the wampa, and in Scarface you don't see his brother getting sliced up with a chainsaw in the bathtub, just the bloody residue being spewed.

23. GENERAL RAAM582

GENERAL RAAM582 A Rebellion Built on Hope

While it's definitely not all it could of been, I don't think it ruins the trilogy. In fact, I still think Begins is the "worse" of the trilogy. I love all three movies, and it's my favorite film trilogy of all time. Begins gets a 9, TDK gets a 10, and TDKR gets a 9.5.

24. Caekzor

Caekzor Well-Known Member

It was only two instances.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

25. JackWhite

JackWhite Third Man

Uhhh, are those allowed here?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.