Amazing Spider-Man ARTISTS and ART

I know art is subjective but i still think comic book art has DEFINITELY improved over time. Back in the days, most writers had to use an excessive amount of exposition to tell the reader what was happening in the panels. These days, the art is so good sometimes, the writers just let the artist tell the story. I dunno, to me thats an improvement. I love Ditko and I LOVE Kirby, but the modern artists like Maleev, Mcniven, Dell'otto, Lark, J.H. Williams, Quietly, Cassaday...they're so much prettier to look at. But thats just my opinion.

I know art is subjective but i still think comic book art has DEFINITELY improved over time. Back in the days, most writers had to use an excessive amount of exposition to tell the reader what was happening in the panels. These days, the art is so good sometimes, the writers just let the artist tell the story. I dunno, to me thats an improvement. I love Ditko and I LOVE Kirby, but the modern artists like Maleev, Mcniven, Dell'otto, Lark, J.H. Williams, Quietly, Cassaday...they're so much prettier to look at. But thats just my opinion.

Well, that's also really just a change in storytelling style. Comics back then used to be super-compressed and all one shot stories, whereas today's multi-issue stories give the artist a lot more room to be expressive. People today complain about six-issue arcs and whatnot, but I enjoy it because it gives more space to develop and express the characters than back in the day when each issue was supposed to be a major story in itself with plenty of pop and action.

So yeah, one can prefer one way of storytelling to another, but the artists like Ditko and Romita definitely did a great job working within the framework of the stories they were trying to tell. I can't really see someone like Maleev doing so well trying to tell those stories. I mean, he's one of my favorite artists, but even I'll admit his action scenes sometimes come off a bit stilted.

I thought Javier Pulido was incredible in the recent Sandman arc.

Yeah, I really liked that story arc. I hope he does more.

I think Gauntlet's been giving us some pretty good artists in the rotation. Pulido, Martin, Lark, Bachalo, it's pretty awesome:up:

Hmm...You know I actually don't quite agree with what you said. The art back in those days didn't need all that excessive amount of exposition to tell the story. Writers just wrote a lot of exposition because that was the norm.

For example, a lot of the dialogue in the following pages could be omitted and the reader could easily understand the story still.

ASM033_04-1.jpg

ASM033_05-1.jpg

ASM033_06-1.jpg

ASM033_09-1.jpg

Maybe writers were just being extra cautious because the demographic of readers were younger and they wanted to make sure every reader understood what was going on?

Well, that's also really just a change in storytelling style. Comics back then used to be super-compressed and all one shot stories, whereas today's multi-issue stories give the artist a lot more room to be expressive. People today complain about six-issue arcs and whatnot, but I enjoy it because it gives more space to develop and express the characters than back in the day when each issue was supposed to be a major story in itself with plenty of pop and action.

So yeah, one can prefer one way of storytelling to another, but the artists like Ditko and Romita definitely did a great job working within the framework of the stories they were trying to tell. I can't really see someone like Maleev doing so well trying to tell those stories. I mean, he's one of my favorite artists, but even I'll admit his action scenes sometimes come off a bit stilted.

i have to disagree. There's definitely more to it. Even if you looked at just the angles used and the portrayal of motion, those two alone are vastly superior to what they were 35 years ago.
What you're saying is equivalent to saying that the quality of movie director's output isn't really any better now than it was in 1960. A good movie from today has far better visuals than one from back then due not only to technology but also progression of the artform, as directors learn from the greats that came before.

i have to disagree. There's definitely more to it. Even if you looked at just the angles used and the portrayal of motion, those two alone are vastly superior to what they were 35 years ago.
What you're saying is equivalent to saying that the quality of movie director's output isn't really any better now than it was in 1960. A good movie from today has far better visuals than one from back then due not only to technology but also progression of the artform, as directors learn from the greats that came before.

Meh, action scenes were pretty well-depicted in the old comics, I don't think the motion in comics has improved. Honestly, I find a lot of the artists that go for that uber-realism have scenes that look flat or stilted (Greg Land comes to mind).

And no, I dont think movie directors today are better than ones from the past. Stanley Kubrick's Apocalypse Now is still an amazing film to watch. I dont know very many people that will say Eyes Wide Shut was better. As far as technology goes, I think that's more equivalent to, say, the paper quality of a comic, than to the actual artistic process. Outside of that I dont see how visuals have improved in movies. If you mean stuff like CGI compared to stop-motion, then again you're assuming realism equals superior. I mean, Transformers 2 has pretty crazy visuals, but was mostly a cluster**** of nonsensical robot fighting. Terminator 2, another movie with robots, totally kicks that ****** movie's ass, in action sequences and story alike.

And while there is a progression, all of it is built on what came before. That doesn't equate to stuff now being better. Rap music has its roots in jazz and blues, that doesn't mean its an improvement of those genres.

Seriously, you are denying yourself stuff amazing films if all you're watching is stuff from this century.:down

So, like I said, JRJR is my favorite of the current group of artists. I think this was like one of my favorite covers of ASM ever.

571-1.jpg

I hope he gets to do the conclusion of the Gauntlet:up:

So, like I said, JRJR is my favorite of the current group of artists. I think this was like one of my favorite covers of ASM ever.

571-1.jpg

571-1.jpg

I agree! :up:

That is an awesome cover. I hope they don't kill off Osborn before letting him don the Goblin costume and battle Spider-Man.

I REALLY wish JR JR was the regular artist on Amazing!

JRJR had not one but TWO long runs on ASM. He can't stay on it forever. It's always nice to see him come back for an arc or two.

No, art hasn't improved, it's just changes and become more stylized. Sorry, but I don't think looking more realistic is necessarily an improvement on anything. Many of the storytelling techniques used 20 years ago are still in use today and still quite effective.

Im sorry you think Steve Ditko's art is inferior to Mike Deodato, but I appreciate that Martin's art is reminiscent of his style.

I'd agree, but...

Let's rub buttholes:o

I don't want to. :csad:

Meh, action scenes were pretty well-depicted in the old comics, I don't think the motion in comics has improved. Honestly, I find a lot of the artists that go for that uber-realism have scenes that look flat or stilted (Greg Land comes to mind).

And no, I dont think movie directors today are better than ones from the past. Stanley Kubrick's Apocalypse Now is still an amazing film to watch. I dont know very many people that will say Eyes Wide Shut was better. As far as technology goes, I think that's more equivalent to, say, the paper quality of a comic, than to the actual artistic process. Outside of that I dont see how visuals have improved in movies. If you mean stuff like CGI compared to stop-motion, then again you're assuming realism equals superior. I mean, Transformers 2 has pretty crazy visuals, but was mostly a cluster**** of nonsensical robot fighting. Terminator 2, another movie with robots, totally kicks that ****** movie's ass, in action sequences and story alike.

And while there is a progression, all of it is built on what came before. That doesn't equate to stuff now being better. Rap music has its roots in jazz and blues, that doesn't mean its an improvement of those genres.

Seriously, you are denying yourself stuff amazing films if all you're watching is stuff from this century.:down

I thought Rap's roots were more closely tied to disco.

I thought Rap's roots were more closely tied to disco.

You shut up:cmad:

Well, as I see it, disco was the pop music of the 60's/70's, what everyone danced to. Rap isn't necessarily dance music at all. Pop or hip hop maybe, which kind of blend together sometimes. But what the hell do I know, I still like listening to my classical music radio station and NPR:csad:

You shut up:cmad:

Well, as I see it, disco was the pop music of the 60's/70's, what everyone danced to. Rap isn't necessarily dance music at all. Pop or hip hop maybe, which kind of blend together sometimes. But what the hell do I know, I still like listening to my classical music radio station and NPR:csad:

The technique of rapping is most closely descended from spoken word jazz poetry, while disco was a major influence on the larger Hip Hop genre, of which rap is an element, as was soul and funk.

Last edited:

What the heck dude? You picked about the most inappropriate comparisons possible, which doesn't prove any point at all. How about comparing modern movies that don't suck to olden day movies?

And I'd take Martin over Deodato any day of the week...

... your point???

My point was someone asked me a question and I was answering. What's your point exactly?

Last edited:
I'd take Deodato over Martin any day of the week.

Why? Deodato's proportions are kind of off, he makes characters way too muscular, and his attempts at making characters photorealistic have a very unpleasant uncanny valley effect.

Why? Deodato's proportions are kind of off, he makes characters way too muscular, and his attempts at making characters photorealistic have a very unpleasant uncanny valley effect.

Because I prefer sharp looking, modern style comic art over retro 60's looking comic art. One strikes me as boring and dull. The other as dynamic. I'll reiterate that the flat coloring they give martin's art doesn't help matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"