ampersand's new art thread

ampersand

Sidekick
Reaction score
I felt it was time to start a new thread and let my old one die. Especially considering I haven't updated it in forever.

I'm working on this for the fan art contest on the Planet forums.
optimusprimeht2.gif

So can I like, come to where you live, and steal your ability to draw?

Thanks for the replys everyone :)

Here's the final version, only a couple of key additions to it.
optimusprimexr6.gif

Great work.:up:

Hey Amp- nice work

A few things though.... :oldrazz:

His joints are confusing me- his one on the elbow doesn't really look strong enough to support any weight- and the postion of the joint on his left shoulder isnt the same as the one on the right. The one on the left also doesnt look as though you have considered where the muffler would be.

The perspective on the muffler isn't quite correct- you should be using the line from the top of his shoulder as your guide for it- which means that it would be a lot more rounded.

Where the gun/hand/arm is going behind his head there should be some shadow cast.

It would have been nice to add a bit of orange light to his highlights- from what i can see most of the light in the scene is being cast by the burning rubble etc, so you expect some of that colour to be on his surface. Maybe a orange rim highlight would be cool.

Another nice little trick would be to add a secondary light source coming up from the bottom left- maybe a orange, or a subtle blue will help add a bit more pop. :)

Im not a huge fan of the smoke- but its hard to do these kinda things with traditional media- I would at least think that it would fade off a little towards the end.

anyway, any one that does optimus art is hip in my books.

CyberMonkeyTron, why can't I have you as my personal crit giver? Those are all awesome points....damn it, now it doesn't look nearly as good as I thought it did. The only one I knew already was the problem with the joints, but I kinda drew them that way on purpose. I've never drawn a transformer before, and it isn't easy for me to imagine the way his joints would work.

Seriously, thank you for your crits. It's rare that someone really takes the time to give good criticism. You rock.

And now it's off to photoshop to make some much needed additions/adjustments.

Wow, I didn't realize it was you hwo did it (looked at it on another ofrum).

Greta work with it, and the paper effect.

nice to see something new frmo you

Thanks for the comments :D

Here's my WIP for the February contest.
ghostrider6jz.gif

that is simply outstanding!do you take requests by any chance?

the GR looks great so far

WOW, your art is great, and the GR one is really outstanding, ill try with a GR 2099 i think, ill see what i come with, jeje. Keep up the good stuff

nice art, ampersand! what did you use to draw Prime? i really like your Ghost Rider.

Thanks, Dorky. I drew Prime with both blue pencil and regular graphite pencil and then photoshopped the hell out of it with textures and digital paint. That was probably the longest I've ever spent on one contest entry, which paid of because I won.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"