• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Andrew Garfield IS Spider-Man! - Part 1

I feel exactly the same way. I share many of his querks in social situations that I feel uncomfortable in.

I'll just say that Andrew's Peter felt sufficiently awkward to me in many of the same ways in which I am also awkward. I was able to relate pretty well. Surprisingly well, actually.

Ha don't we all? He's the best!

I had similar situations last week at work!

The most relatable moment in TASM for me was when Peter tells Aunt May "please go to sleep!" with teary eyes. I had the exact same situation with my mother :p

The most relatable moment in TASM for me was when Peter tells Aunt May "please go to sleep!" with teary eyes. I had the exact same situation with my mother :p

Oh totally. We've all acted a bit inappropriate to our parents and whatnot. He nailed it, dude.

Haters have often said peter was a *****e, emo or hipster.

He wasn't, he was just a modern teenage character.

His quickness to break his promise to Captain Stacy, and his disrespectful comment about "broken promises being the best kind" didn't do any favors to my opinion of the character.

The "broken promise" premise wrote the character into a corner, and into an unfavorable light. He loses two father figures (for which he is pretty much responsible), and then what? He immediately breaks his promise to a dying man who knows a thing or two and only wants to protect his daughter's life, and we're expected to find it, what? Charming? Romantic? It makes the character come across as inept, selfish and cold. It rubbed me (and a lot of people apparently) the wrong way (Regardless of the defense that cites it as being "more realistic").

The broken promise made perfect sense, it wasn't an ideal situation or line of dialogue but it flowed perfectly fine in the context of the movie.

He was forced to make the promise, you could see it in his face that he was forced, he couldn't say no to a dying man, who could?

Then HE STAYED AWAY from Gwen, even so much as to not go to to her Dads funeral.

It was only AFTER Aunt May said that he had a right to be happy that he decided That she was right and after losing so many people in his life he felt he shouldn't be forced to lose Gwen aswell.

It's something that will come back to bite him in the backside with her eventual death but can anyone here honestly say that after losing your parents, beloved Uncle, only other male role model and having only their aunt in their life that you would give up the girl you love, especially as a teenager?

The broken promise made perfect sense, it wasn't an ideal situation or line of dialogue but it flowed perfectly fine in the context of the movie.

He was forced to make the promise, you could see it in his face that he was forced, he couldn't say no to a dying man, who could?

Then HE STAYED AWAY from Gwen, even so much as to not go to to her Dads funeral.

It was only AFTER Aunt May said that he had a right to be happy that he decided That she was right and after losing so many people in his life he felt he shouldn't be forced to lose Gwen aswell.

It's something that will come back to bite him in the backside with her eventual death but can anyone here honestly say that after losing your parents, beloved Uncle, only other male role model and having only their aunt in their life that you would give up the girl you love, especially as a teenager?

It was a man's last request before he died, made with his daughter's safety in mind. It was something he had all the right to ask, and any person with half a heart would grant it. Especially an intelligent, mature kid with supposedly good values. But said kid doesn't. And it makes him seem weak and insensitive and selfish and inconsiderate. If by "perfect sense" you mean that it's okay for such a beloved superhero to appear like a total jerk, then I'd agree.

Imagine the situation in real life. Instead of a superhero, think of a mob hitman, or a drug pusher. Anyone in a position of danger and of bringing danger to those around him. Not so sympathetic, is it? Peter Parker would realize that.

So Pete should give up the woman he loves (one of only two people in his life) and be miserable to keep a promise he was forced to make?

So Pete should give up the woman he loves (one of only two people in his life) and be miserable to keep a promise he was forced to make?

There's this little movie that came out in 2002, it was called 'Spider-Man'... I kinda liked it. The title character in that does pretty much what you just said.

See, I know it's a different movie, and no, I'm not saying I wanted the exact same ending. But I did want the same character, and the same CHARACTER in that character. THE Peter Parker, the one that doesn't break a bona fide sacred promise just days after he made it. But oh well.

He'll be miserable soon enough (like Tobey) when Gwen dies because he didn't keep the promise and couldn't save her.

I wonder what the Capt Stacy scene in ASM2 will be like.

He'll be miserable soon enough (like Tobey) when Gwen dies because he didn't keep the promise and couldn't save her.

I'm looking forward to that, because it'll make for great drama. I'll just pretend that things in TASM 1 happened a little differently. Selective memory FTW.

This part was sooooo childish and cringe worthy. Is he eight or eighteen? Because he certainly acted like a child, taking Stacy's promise to the literal extreme.

She never said he had the right to be happy. She said something like "If anyone is good, it's you." Or something like that.

Let me revise your statement to reflect the truth: "After losing so many people due to his own irresponsible actions, he selfishly felt that he shouldn't be forced to lose Gwen as well."

Yes, as Nemeres said, this is exactly the SACRIFICE that Peter made in the Raimi series.

There's this little movie that came out in 2002, it was called 'Spider-Man'... I kinda liked it. The title character in that does pretty much what you just said.

It was only after an whole new movie and character arc and angsty indecision that Mary Jane convinced him that she has some say in the matter as well and that they would face whatever dangers lie ahead together. The moment felt earned. Not tacked on for a "happy" ending, as in TASM.

The TASM series is painfully telegraphed because we KNOW that Gwen is going to die and that Peter is going to pay the price for being irresponsible AGAIN. It's so redundant it hurts.

It was a man's last request before he died, made with his daughter's safety in mind. It was something he had all the right to ask, and any person with half a heart would grant it. Especially an intelligent, mature kid with supposedly good values. But said kid doesn't. And it makes him seem weak and insensitive and selfish and inconsiderate. If by "perfect sense" you mean that it's okay for such a beloved superhero to appear like a total jerk, then I'd agree.

:up:

So what? Gwen dies and what lesson is he meant to learn that he didn't learn from Ben's or Captain Stacy's death?

It'll be Captain Stacy, in a bloody shirt, appearing at Peter's graduation after Gwen makes the valedictorian speech that grimly foreshadows her fate.

What if Gwen really ends up living in this franchise, and they don't kill her off? I know fans will be super pissed, but unless this series is going to last for more than 4-5 movies, there probably won't be enough time for Peter to deal with Gwen's death develop a relationship with MJ anyway.

I've decided that when Andrew Garfield is done being Spider-Man he should be the thirteenth Dr. Who.

He acted childish taking the promise to the literal extreme? Did you watch what he went through in the film? How it ended? It must have messed with his head. And making a promise he felt he had to make? If anything, I felt so bad for him.

He acted childish taking the promise to the literal extreme? Did you watch what he went through in the film? How it ended? It must have messed with his head. And making a promise he felt he had to make? If anything, I felt so bad for him.

Yes, it was childish nonsense for a supposedly intelligent young man to take what Captain Stacy said 100% literally, when Stacy obviously meant, that he didn't want them romantically involved.

This is a pretty astute take on Peter Parker in TASM:

http://badassdigest.com/2012/07/06/...g-spider-man-has-99-problems-but-an-uncle-be/

This excerpt in particular:

THEY HAVE A CHARACTER WHO IS SMART, HANDSOME, POSTURIFICALLY JAMES DEAN-ING IT, AND YET THE WORLD TREATS HIM LIKE HE IS NONE OF THOSE THINGS. IT AVOIDS CONFLICT IN FAVOR OF BI-POLAR SELF-PITY OR SELF-AGGRANDIZING. AND IN THE END THEY CAN'T EVEN LET THEIR CHARACTER LEARN THINGS AND HE ENDS UP CONTINUING THE RELATIONSHIP ANYWAY (AND YES, HULK KNOWS WHERE THEY GOING WITH THAT BASED ON THE COMICS, BUT NO HULK DOESN'T THINK THAT MAGICALLY MAKES THIS ****STORM WORK). IT'S ALL INWARDLY FOCUSED, *********ORY THINKING.

HULK HAS NO IDEA WHO THIS SPIDER-MAN IS SUPPOSED TO BE. AND IT'S NOT SOME NEW INTERESTING TAKE ON THE CHARACTER. BECAUSE THAT WOULD IMPLY A COHESIVE TAKE ON THE CHARACTER. THERE IS NOTHING COHESIVE. NOTHING INTERESTING. HE'S AN ADOLESCENT DICK OBSESSED WITH HIS OWN PROBLEMS AND BELIEVE IT OR NOT HE ACTUALLY ENDS THE FILM AS AN ADOLESCENT DICK OBSESSED WITH HIS OWN PROBLEMS.
YUP. IT'S TRUE. THE ENDING UNCLE BEN VOICE-OVER LEADS US TO THINK HE'S COMING TO SOME UNDERSTANDING OF HIS IDENTITY AND PURPOSE, BUT THINK ABOUT WHAT HAPPENS AFTER... IN THE END HE'S GOING BACK ON A PROMISE MADE. TO PARAPHRASE: "PROMISES YOU CAN'T KEEP ARE THE BEST KIND OF PROMISES?" SERIOUSLY? THAT'S WHO THIS CHARACTER IS GOING TO BE? A GUY WHO HAS APPARENTLY LEARNED NOTHING?

UGH. HULK JUST HAS TO KEEP RAMBLING ABOUT THIS FOR A FEW MORE PARAGRAPHS. SORRY. THIS TOTALLY THE LEAST PRODUCTIVE THING THAT HULK EVER TRIES TO EXPRESS, BUT PARKER'S ENTIRE DISPOSITION IN THIS FILM IS NOT JUST SOUL-CRUSHINGLY WRONG FOR THE HEART OF THE CHARACTER, NOT JUST SOUL-CRUSHINGLY WRONG FOR THE WORDS ON THE PAGE, IT'S ACTUALLY SOUL-CRUSHINGLY WRONG FOR THE BASICS OF STORY, CHARACTER PURPOSE AND DRAMA ITSELF. LIKE THE ROMANCE, THEY MADE PARKER JUST A TEXTURE THING. HE MUMBLES AND DOES JAMES DEAN AND NEVER EVEN REALLY SAYS ANYTHING. HE'S AN ALOOF **** WHO DOESN'T PAY ATTENTION. AND HULK HATE TO BREAK IT TO YOU, BUT HULK KNOWS THE GUY WHO BEHAVES LIKE THAT IN CLASS. HERE'S A TIP. HE'S NOT SECOND IN HIS CLASS. OH AND PROOF HE'S A ****? WELL, THERE WAS A FIVE SECOND MOMENT IN THE TRAILER THAT GOT EVERYONE EXCITED FOR A FILM WITH WISE-CRACKING SPIDEY WHEN HE'S IN THE BACK OF THE CAR AND SAYS "SERIOUSLY, YOU THINK I'M A COP?" WELL IN THE ACTUAL MOVIE THAT "WISE-CRACKING" GOES ON FOR LIKE 5 ****ING MINUTES IN A BIZARRE CASE OF ADOLESCENT ****TITUDE THAT MAKES NO SENSE WHATSOEVER. SERIOUSLY, IN THAT SCENE HE'S JUST A NOT-FUNNY, OUT OF CONTROL ***HOLE. HULK COMPLAINED ABOUT THIS, AND SOMEONE ARGUED THAT THE ENTIRE POINT IS FOR HIM TO OVERCOME THESE PROBLEMS AND ATTITUDES, BUT GUESS WHAT? HE REALLY DOESN'T. HE JUST HAS SOME SCENES WHERE HE DOESN'T BEHAVE LIKE THAT SOMETIMES. WHEN DOES HE LEARN THAT BEING A **** IS REALLY WRONG?

:up:

Ah yes, the topic that never dies.

Reminds me of some YouTube comments. :dry:

Say what you like about andrew but he has won over alot of people as the better peter parker, thats an achievement after Raimis film started it all

many felt he was very relatable and that was most likely what webb and co wanted for peter and succeeded

Say what you like about andrew but he has won over alot of people as the better peter parker, thats an achievement after Raimis film started it all

many felt he was very relatable and that was most likely what webb and co wanted for peter and succeeded

Personally, I don't find this version of Peter Parker all that relatable (in TASM anyway). Sure he was cool and aloof, but relatable no. I do think that Garfield is a great, lively actor- and I love his enthusiasm for the character... though he overdid it just slightly in TASM with all the nodding, tics and mannerisms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"