• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Andrew Garfield IS Spider-Man! - Part 1

Some even refuse to see the reboot films despite claiming to be Spider-Man fans. Which seems odd to me. I'm always up for seeing diferent interpretations of characters.
I think its awesome to have different actors playing Spider-Man. Gives a little bit more variety, you know? It's like I can look on my shelf and decide on whether or not I'm in the mood for Tobey or Andrew. I feel the same about the James Bond films; each actor brings in a different take on the character, and it helps keep the franchise feel fresh.

Some even refuse to see the reboot films despite claiming to be Spider-Man fans. Which seems odd to me. I'm always up for seeing diferent interpretations of characters.

I'm a huge Spider-Man fan, and I don't plan on seeing ASM2 in theaters. That's not because I'm "not open" to a different interpretation; that's quite the contrary. I very much disliked the first Amazing Spider-Man flick, and I haven't liked what I've seen from this new one (aside from Spidey's new costume). Does that make me less of a Spider-Man fan? I don't think so. I also don't view people who love the ASM movies to be "lesser" Spider-Man fans either. I personally don't like the current interpretation happening right now, that's all. The universe and tone was set up in the first movie, and I definitely gave the first movie a fair chance. If I didn't like the first movie, why would I go see the continuation of that story?

Back to Andrew Garfield: I may have HATED his Peter Parker, and I may have HATED the first Amazing Spider-Man, but that doesn't mean I'm hating on Garfield. My problems with the first movie don't stem from the cast. In fact, I think the cast from the first movie was quite excellent. I just don't think the material that was written was any good. I'm sure that if I had liked the screenplay/script, I would have adored Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker/Spider-Man. I've loved every other movie I've seen Garfield in.

Well, you won't know the script for TASM2 is bad unless you see it

I hated the first TASM, but I may see this one in theatres. I actually was really stoked about this one until they showed the Green Goblin (it will take a lot for me to get over that design). Also I'm a bit concerned about the sheer number of characters in this one. I would have rather had Shailene as MJ and cut out one villain than the other way around.

The goblin's design won't make or break the movie though.

The goblin's design won't make or break the movie though.

No..but Dane's performance as Goblin will though, of course.

But I think there's already an anticipation for it. Due to what we've seen in Chronicle, Andrew and Jamie hyping his role and all that..

Why did Andrew Garfield snub poor little Bat Kid at the Oscars?

He didn't. They cut the segment at the last minute. To make up for it, Batkid, Batkid's parents, and Andrew all hung out at Disneyland.

Why did Andrew Garfield snub poor little Bat Kid at the Oscars?
That's a bunch of bs straight from the new york post and everyone retracted that article they both got snubbed and Andrew took the kid to Disneyland or joined them it was on the accademy

@ Spider-X agreed and now every new site is retracting and people are feeling sorry for their quick judgement on the guy

I just realised something...the media (JJJ) tried to tarnish Spidey's reputation and that's what's happening here! Poor attempt though!

Andrew rocks. Well done and shame on the paper who tried to blacken his name.

Since we have threads for a lot of the other characters, I thought we maybe should go with one for our main hero as well.

One of the major letdowns of the first film, for me, was Peter Parker's characterization. He just wasn't likeable. At points he was simply mean-spirited (his jabs at criminals while dressed as Spider-Man came off more as demeaning and patronizing than witty or clever). He seemed incredibly immature. His quickness to break his promise to Captain Stacy, and his disrespectful comment about "broken promises being the best kind" didn't do any favors to my opinion of the character.

I think much of this is due to bad scripting rather than Garfield's performance. I'm hoping the characterization will be much better this time around. So to get things started: what would be some ways to improve his character in the second film? Where should his arc go from here? Do you disagree with my above analysis and why?

I'm hoping (fingers crossed!) that Spidey will be a more likeable and sympathetic character this time around.

Frankly I'll never understand these complaints. By the way people go on about it you'd think that he chopped off the car thief's fingers and water boarded him or punched an old lady and tea bagged her. Seriously, stop placing Spidey on a higher moral pedestal guys. We already have Captain America and Superman for that ********.

^ We've got to respect the feelings of car thieves, Napoleon. :oldrazz:

Frankly I'll never understand these complaints. By the way people go on about it you'd think that he chopped off the car thief's fingers and water boarded him or punched an old lady and tea bagged her. Seriously, stop placing Spidey on a higher moral pedestal guys. We already have Captain America and Superman for that ********.

I wonder what will happen if comic pages where Spidey making fun of bald people or fat people gets translated to big screen lol. Its like people never read or seen anything Spidey related other than Raimi movies. SMH

Since we have threads for a lot of the other characters, I thought we maybe should go with one for our main hero as well.

One of the major letdowns of the first film, for me, was Peter Parker's characterization. He just wasn't likeable. At points he was simply mean-spirited (his jabs at criminals while dressed as Spider-Man came off more as demeaning and patronizing than witty or clever). He seemed incredibly immature. His quickness to break his promise to Captain Stacy, and his disrespectful comment about "broken promises being the best kind" didn't do any favors to my opinion of the character.

I think much of this is due to bad scripting rather than Garfield's performance. I'm hoping the characterization will be much better this time around. So to get things started: what would be some ways to improve his character in the second film? Where should his arc go from here? Do you disagree with my above analysis and why?

I'm hoping (fingers crossed!) that Spidey will be a more likeable and sympathetic character this time around.

I'll just leave this here...

shcVxjO.jpg

Last edited:

Exactly! Spider-man isn't perfect, he is a flawed human with just as many shortcomings. He gets angry and makes mistakes like the following:

SLqBR2U.jpg

hqfTh5G.jpg

This sums up nicely why I love Spiderman

Not at all! I think Spider-Man is the greatest super hero of all time. He is so great, because he is all of us. He is a poor kid, he is unexceptional in every way, and that makes him amazing. His real super power is his character, and his strength of will. He is beaten, tattered, and torn apart. Everything he loves is destroyed and everyone turns their backs on him. His power is staying resolute.

Peter Parker isn't rich, he isn't super handsome, he isn't even popular. But he has been given the chance to change the world, and he sacrifices everything he has to give everyone else, the people that kicked him, spat on him, cursed his name, he gives them a chance. He saves them though they would more likely than not, let him die. He is the Jesus Christ of comics, and when you put him with the avengers, when you put him in a high tech jet, when you give him a lab with unlimited resources, he sort of loses his charm. He just becomes another Avenger.

Spider-Man is our personal Jesus, he is all of us.

Yeah I don't know, Pete/Spidey was extremely likable for me in TASM. Don't tell me you wouldn't try having fun with your powers.

I'll just leave this here...

shcVxjO.jpg

Oh boy I remember cracking up at the marshmallow part. And also when he first sees Doc Ock, he said something along the line of "I am the hairstyle police" and then starts mocking at Ock's bowl cut. :woot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"