Anime snobs:are you one? How do you feel about em?

chichidark

Civilian
Reaction score
Oh dear.....i've just had an encounter. I will admit that i have been one where my favorites are concerned, but no more! I have realized how utterly annoying it is to be called a noob for liking a popular anime when you've been watching anime for years, likely before the accuser was potty trained.

That sucks.

:(

Who was the snob?

Well, there are lots of defs for it.the least annoying form is the person who refuses to watch dubs(any at all, regardless of whether it's bad or not). An anime snob can often be someone who watches mostly obscure animes and uses japanese words they barely understand to seem cool rather than just for enjoyment. Which can be very annoying.

...That doesn't make me a snob.

I don't know whether to be offended by this thread or not.

It'd help if I knew why you were angry at this person, what anime was mentioned, and what lead up to the insult.

I'm sorry if i offend. i think it applies to extremes. I'm sure you actually take joy in the anime you watch rather than just use it to seem better than others. I am a very big fan of dbz , but i love many, many other animes and acknowledge there are better ones. Dbz just happens to be my favorite out of everything i've seen and i'm by no means new to anime.

Elitism is bad

learn from me kids

once you go indie you cannot turn back to crappy pop, no matter how much you try.

Corinthian(tm) said:
Elitism is bad

learn from me kids

once you go indie you cannot turn back to crappy pop, no matter how much you try.
:). Hey thanx for lightening the mood. I felt so mean! It's just that sometimes when people are so serious about it, it takes the fun outta anime, ya know?

chichidark said:
:). Hey thanx for lightening the mood. I felt so mean! It's just that sometimes when people are so serious about it, it takes the fun outta anime, ya know?
it's not serious. It's just you become Elitist

I for one think Full Metal Alchemist in Anime is crap and the Manga is ten times better.

Can tell you that English dubbing sucks to no amounts and Mexican dubbing is one of the best in the world. But still rather watch it in Japanese

Don't hate us elitist, we just know better:(

Don't worry! I don't hate elitists at all. In fact i'm quite guilty of it. All anime vets have their elite tendencies. I just don't like it when people try to use it to put people down. People should be able to like what they want without the threat of being called a loser by the community. Elitists just have a certain way they like anime and that's fine, without rudeness.

chichidark said:
Don't worry! I don't hate elitists at all. In fact i'm quite guilty of it. All anime vets have their elite tendencies. I just don't like it when people try to use it to put people down. People should be able to like what they want without the threat of being called a loser by the community. Elitists just have a certain way they like anime and that's fine, without rudeness.
but you are missing on the fun part of being an elitist, to put people down and make them squeel:confused:

Heh heh. I like your style. That can be fun, but intelligent people can do it with facts rather than just "you like dbz?you're such a stupid n00b! U suck". Anime "snobs" are usually idiots who can't back things up beyond "subs are cooler!"

...I don't know if I fall into the Elitist bracket or the snob bracket...

I mean... I do get annoyed when people mention that the love mainstream/current anime... and just list those off. It kinda makes me feel that they just jumped the wagon.

But I also hate myself sometimes too. I love Naruto. And, so it seems, everyone else. I started watching Naruto last Summer, before Otakon. Now everyone's watching it on cartoon network. I've seen every ep... most people now have only seen what's on CN and it hurts, because they're all like "Whoa... dude did you see?" and I'm like ... "Yeah, 7 months ago I saw dude..."

And let's not go there with people who try to argue with you about anime you know about, and watched more of, because of d/ling and subbing vs. Watching it week by week on American television. If I weren't in the line at the grocery store, with witnesses... the little Customer Service boy woulda got stabbed.

oakzap425 said:
...I don't know if I fall into the Elitist bracket or the snob bracket...

I mean... I do get annoyed when people mention that the love mainstream/current anime... and just list those off. It kinda makes me feel that they just jumped the wagon.

But I also hate myself sometimes too. I love Naruto. And, so it seems, everyone else. I started watching Naruto last Summer, before Otakon. Now everyone's watching it on cartoon network. I've seen every ep... most people now have only seen what's on CN and it hurts, because they're all like "Whoa... dude did you see?" and I'm like ... "Yeah, 7 months ago I saw dude..."

And let's not go there with people who try to argue with you about anime you know about, and watched more of, because of d/ling and subbing vs. Watching it week by week on American television. If I weren't in the line at the grocery store, with witnesses... the little Customer Service boy woulda got stabbed.
I love you oaky... May your babies be as cool as Rock Lee and as hot as Gaara:(:up:

:). I can sympathize. I'm that way with a lot of animes. I tend to be a manga elitest with things like naruto and dbz as well as many others. I also gripe about horrible dubbing(funimation and 4kids are horrible anime butchers and should be shot!)

The only people who really piss me off are the ones that complain when people say they like to watch dubbed versions of anime. I myself watch both dubbed and subbed depending on what im doing.
I watch a lot of anime when im on the computer so I dont really have time to read all of the subtitles so I like to listen to it in english.

But then you'll get people complaining about that. Whats the point??? It doesnt change their enjoyment of any anime because someone else is listening to it in english now does it.

Corinthian™ said:
I love you oaky... May your babies be as cool as Rock Lee and as hot as Gaara:(:up:

We're in the Spring Time of Our Youth Corin-kun!

And of course my children will be. I think I might name my first born Son Rock Lee and my first born Daughter (sp?! :eek:) Gaara.
Admit it, it's such a girl's name...:p

And of course thats fair enough, I do think some of them are awful.

Its just when people who hate dubbed think they have the right to tell everyone that they either watch it subbed or not at all.

I love watching people get worked up over a cartoon and listen to them try and sound superior when they babble on about how much they hate dubs and mainstream anime.

I ran into so many of those types at Otakon in 2005

I doubt anyone ever thinks of themselves as a snob

American Dubbing sounds like a cheesy made for T.V. movie of the 90's or something. I swear... And they don't get the names right

It's like hearing frodo saying Moh-dor:mad:

The more anime you watch, the more crap you are going to see. There isn't much difference than just watching movies really.

I can see where your coming from. I have a few friends who only like subs and such and who download their anime rather than buy it or watch it on tv. I usually don't mind either way, but I hate Dbz dubbed, it is so much better in Japanese......then again, I don't really like Dbz.

But then I'm a huge Gundam fan and I hate it when so many people seem to think Seed and Wing are the only Gundam shows that exist.

does that make me a snob though?

no, not totally. You have a touch of snobbery, but we all do about something

If i dress up in a robe and drink fancy wine when i watch anime does that make me a snob? I don't know that much about anime so i like hearing what's happening from an elitist or whatever:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"