Ant-Man and the Wasp News and Speculation Thread - Part 2

This just makes the wait till August so much worse BUT makes me very happy because first movie is so underappreciated, it would be great to see sequel getting lots of love

I can't believe it took people THIS LONG to start fawning over Evangeline Lilly. I was all over that woman during her LOST days and it felt like I was alone, because the LOST fanbase was so toxic and hated her character for the most part.

I always hoped she'd make it this big someday.

Also Hannah John Kamen... people seriously need to start paying that woman attention. She's just as amazing and I hope her career keeps gaining like it has this year.

I can't believe it took people THIS LONG to start fawning over Evangeline Lilly. I was all over that woman during her LOST days and it felt like I was alone, because the LOST fanbase was so toxic and hated her character for the most part.

I had nothing against Evangeline Lilly (I thought she was a great casting), I just hated Kate as a character. That's nothing against her.

Damn! I thought I was going to see Ant-Man and the Wasp in 2 weeks time. But it comes out on 3rd August in the UK instead! That's over a month away. :cmad: :cmad:

Also Hannah John Kamen... people seriously need to start paying that woman attention. She's just as amazing and I hope her career keeps gaining like it has this year.

Same here! I loved her in Lost. So glad she has this huge role now and got all those amazing reactions

Damn! I thought I was going to see Ant-Man and the Wasp in 2 weeks time. But it comes out on 3rd August in the UK instead! That's over a month away. :cmad: :cmad:

Same here in Poland :/

Wow. A couple of mentions of this being Ant-man's 'Winter Soldier' already?. That's some high praise.

giphy.gif

I was mostly unaware of her before Ant-Man but her in the Wasp suit is just :ilv:

I think most blockbusters should be released on the same day everywhere and a month is ridiculous but you guys always get MCU movies before us so :oldrazz:

It seems like the reviews will be super positive I haven't seen one bad reaction yet!

This is not within millions of lightyears close to true.

I'm not 'laughing him off' as a pretentious storyteller. I've enjoyed many of Nolan's films and I stated that he's a hell of a craftsman. But my considered opinion is that he is weak at emotional storytelling and the philosophical/subtextual underpinnings of his movies are at best shallow (Inception), and at worst completely incoherent (TDKR).

He's good at making beautifully photographed, middlebrow entertainment. The Dark Knight is great. Dunkirk is really good. The Prestige is a lot of fun. But deep they're not. Not everything is THE GREATEST EVER or UTTER GARBAGE.

If Nolan is middle brow, what exactly do you consider the MCU? :dry:

If Nolan is middle brow, what exactly do you consider the MCU? :dry:

Nolan aims for highbrow and sometimes hits middlebrow, which is at least good. When he hits lowbrow, the results are excruciatingly pretentious.

The MCU aims for middlebrow but knows it, and NAILS it. And while doing so, it creates a lot of room for actors and writers to add wonderful subversive detail.

I subscribe to Ebert’s law of film criticism, which is to judge movies on how well they accomplish what they're trying to do. The MCU has a much higher success ratio in that regard than Nolan. So does David Lynch.

Is Nolan in this movie? He’s not? Then why has he been the topic the last two pages?

Yeah guys, stop talking about Nolan. Has nothing to do with anything.

Yeah guys, stop talking about Nolan. Has nothing to do with anything.

Not even his own films. :o

Now if England are knocked out of the world cup early, maybe they can bring Ant-Man forward to UK cinemas.

Christopher Nolan is great and all of that jazz but last time I checked he has nothing to do with Ant-Man and the Wasp.

Peyton Reed, however, seems to have knocked this film out of the park. Bravo to Peyton! Can't wait to see the film next week!

Nolan aims for highbrow and sometimes hits middlebrow, which is at least good. When he hits lowbrow, the results are excruciatingly pretentious.

The MCU aims for middlebrow but knows it, and NAILS it. And while doing so, it creates a lot of room for actors and writers to add wonderful subversive detail.

I subscribe to Ebert’s law of film criticism, which is to judge movies on how well they accomplish what they're trying to do. The MCU has a much higher success ratio in that regard than Nolan. So does David Lynch.

Well, for me, I'll just leave it at saying that's your opinion. As you probably can guess, I strongly disagree.

For the record, Ebert liked or loved every one of the Nolan movies he was alive to review, except ironically Memento (I wonder if he changed his mind on that later). He called TDK near perfect and that it "redefines the possibilities of the comic book movie."

For Inception, here is Ebert's take on the "middle brow" filmmaker:

It's said that Christopher Nolan spent ten years writing his screenplay for "Inception." That must have involved prodigious concentration, like playing blindfold chess while walking a tight-wire. The film's hero tests a young architect by challenging her to create a maze, and Nolan tests us with his own dazzling maze. We have to trust him that he can lead us through, because much of the time we're lost and disoriented. Nolan must have rewritten this story time and again, finding that every change had a ripple effect down through the whole fabric.

...The movies often seem to come from the recycling bin these days: Sequels, remakes, franchises. "Inception" does a difficult thing. It is wholly original, cut from new cloth, and yet structured with action movie basics so it feels like it makes more sense than (quite possibly) it does. I thought there was a hole in "Memento:" How does a man with short-term memory loss remember he has short-term memory loss? Maybe there's a hole in "Inception" too, but I can't find it. Christopher Nolan reinvented "Batman." This time he isn't reinventing anything. Yet few directors will attempt to recycle "Inception." I think when Nolan left the labyrinth, he threw away the map.

Poland is already kicked out and no change here :(

I bet there won't be any change though, because even if someone's home team is knocked out, people will switch to supporting another one. Football fever will continue for the next month.

I don't remember what happened to other MCU films during previous World Cups. Were these pushed back? Was there a film in 2014?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"