Ant-Man and the Wasp News and Speculation Thread - Part 2

I honestly did not think Interstellar was all that watchable. I felt the whole movie crumbled once the secret NASA stuff started. Some scenes looked extremely bad as far as CGI goes and the storytelling was God-awful. TDKR was much the same. Inception, though, I thought was awesome alongside something like The Prestige. I think Nolan can nail it like he did with those movies, but IMO he tries to get something deep into every movie of his and that is where the pretentiousness comes in. When he basically shoehorns whatever he feels is a "deeper" message into where it does not belong.

Oh yeah, forgot about The Prestige. That movie, Memento and Dunkirk are kind of Nolan's perfect wheelhouse. He'll never be a transcendent, deep filmmaker, but give him a fun gimmicky structure and he'll photograph and edit it to perfection.

I love the marketing for Ant-Man and the Wasp.

https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/1010998591408631809

https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/1010998655325634560

sMz4qs4.gif

KUY5igE.jpg
AuKULxu.jpg

N5DHjiW.png

[YT]EQ2gLnPKq4k[/YT] [YT]TZkEKuuVPBs[/YT]

Oh yeah, forgot about The Prestige. That movie, Memento and Dunkirk are kind of Nolan's perfect wheelhouse. He'll never be a transcendent, deep filmmaker, but give him a fun gimmicky structure and he'll photograph and edit it to perfection.

I don't think you're giving Nolan nearly enough credit. The Prestige is the best film of that decade. It is highly ambitious not just for it's acting and directing, but for its transcendent subtext as well. Laughing him off as a pretentious storyteller out of his depth is not fair I think.

That being said... name famous directors would probably be more trouble than they are worth in the comic book genre. We don't need independent artists interested in telling one big story. We need loyal, dedicated, and talented individuals who are excited to tell the story that was in part given to them.

Why isn’t Michelle Pfeiffer there? Is it because she’s filming Maleficent 2?

The Prestige is the best film of that decade.

This is not within millions of lightyears close to true.

I'm not 'laughing him off' as a pretentious storyteller. I've enjoyed many of Nolan's films and I stated that he's a hell of a craftsman. But my considered opinion is that he is weak at emotional storytelling and the philosophical/subtextual underpinnings of his movies are at best shallow (Inception), and at worst completely incoherent (TDKR).

He's good at making beautifully photographed, middlebrow entertainment. The Dark Knight is great. Dunkirk is really good. The Prestige is a lot of fun. But deep they're not. Not everything is THE GREATEST EVER or UTTER GARBAGE.

Nolan's both overrated and The Prestige (amazing as it is) probably still isn't the best film of the 2000s.

But if this is a broader part of the Coogler/Russos discussion, c'mon, Nolan's pretty objectively a more accomplished filmmaker than those guys at the moment. Nobody knows where the other guy's careers will go in future, I'd say there's big things in store for Coogler (not entirely convinced about the Russos though, could go either way), but even as someone who's not particularly a huge slobbering overly-enthusiastic Nolan fan, he's the better director. Maybe not even in raw talent (but probably that too, yes), but in terms of maturity and proficiency in the medium. Coogler's pretty green, and outside of Marvel flicks the Russos haven't done d*ck of significance on the big screen yet.

This is not within millions of lightyears close to true.

I'm biased.. I did my thesis on this movie. There are a lot of deep concepts in this film, from meta discussions on the filmic medium itself to obviously conversations on identity, trauma, and sacrifice. Like Inception, it's got a lot of metaphor of the filmmaking process in the subtext. Nolan does that better than anybody, and yeah... I honestly think the Prestige is one of the best films in the past 20 years easily.

I'm not 'laughing him off' as a pretentious storyteller. I've enjoyed many of Nolan's films and I stated that he's a hell of a craftsman. But my considered opinion is that he is weak at emotional storytelling and the philosophical/subtextual underpinnings of his movies are at best shallow (Inception), and at worst completely incoherent (TDKR).

Like I said, I disagree. I don't think your giving Nolan enough credit. The philosophical/subtextual underpinnings are much more deep and nuanced than you are giving them credit for, IMO.

He's good at making beautifully photographed, middlebrow entertainment. The Dark Knight is great. Dunkirk is really good. The Prestige is a lot of fun. But deep they're not. Not everything is THE GREATEST EVER or UTTER GARBAGE.

What makes Nolan great is the ideas behind the imagery, which are pretty uniquely expressed usually.

All that being said, I think that I basically agree with you. Nolan is a great example of why getting a top shelf director is not only unnecessary, but also detrimental. I wouldn't let Nolan within 3 miles of an Ant-Man movie if I actually wanted to maintain any control on that movie. Nolan would tell whatever Ant-Man story that he wants to tell... one which would probably be very different and not fit into the MCU mold. We don't need auteurs at this point... we need solid team members who can work well within parameters.

They should play brother and sister at some point. She’s the tough as nails older sister who had to play grown up when their parents died when they were young. He’s the younger brother who refused to grow up but now has to because his sister has cancer and has a young daughter who needs to be cared for.

[YT]HgU9IFBbMe4[/YT]

They should play brother and sister at some point. She’s the tough as nails older sister who had to play grown up when their parents died when they were young. He’s the younger brother who refused to grow up but now has to because his sister has cancer and has a young daughter who needs to be cared for.
It would be weird now and I probably wouldn't watch because that sounds like sad movie. I prefer Rudd in comedy kind of roles.

Why isn’t Michelle Pfeiffer there? Is it because she’s filming Maleficent 2?
Rudd and Lilly seem to be doing the bulk of marketing and appearances. Pfeiffer probably can't talk about it because it would give things away. We know she is stuck in the Subatomic realm. She can't talk about the character or scenes only interactions with actors and director.

Pfeiffer was at the premiere and they talked to her briefly

DglOfXmUwAEqwMI.jpg

When did the premiere start? When can we expect more social media reactions?

Review embargo lifts Wednesday.

We may hear more reactions later tonight.

PPedPBh.jpg

1SbeQte.jpg

Trp7vOj.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. A couple of mentions of this being Ant-man's 'Winter Soldier' already?. That's some high praise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"