Anubis' "How would you do it?" Thread.

i just hope that they finally kill of Osbourne. At one point, he was one of the best villians ever, but at this point, he's become a crutch for writers. Everytime you wanna shake things up, have the Goblin do something horribly f*&ked up to Pete. Like, turn Flash into a vegetable, or take his first loves virginity. It's just too much. Kill him now in MK Spider-Man and let the new guy take over as GG.

ThorneFox said:
Since Marvel seems to just be sitting on "Thor" right now, rather that doing anything with him, I guess I'd want a shot at reviving him if I ever happened upon the oppurtunity to do so.

For a great part of the series I'll be focusing on Thor's resurrection. The main point I'll be focusing on is enlightenment, and how most of the divinely enlightened people in history have always had to make some great sacrifices and overcome most of their human limitations. So keep that in mind....now..

A man is upset with the way his life has been going. He's given up as he considers himself to be a failure. One week he decides to stay home while his wife and children go on a break to visit some relatives. His excuse is, "I've got some work to do". While they're away he hangs himself somewhere in the woods near their home (they live in a pretty rural area). He dies upon hanging and his body lingers there for 9 days. His family has returned home and so they report him missing.

The authorities eventually find his body just as a freak storm hits. They're preparing to take him down when lightening strikes. The noose severs and he drops to the ground. Now he's been revived, but no one knows it yet, not even him. In an attempt to transport his body they notice something in his hands that wasn't there before....it's Mjolnir. No one can pry it from his hands so they leave it and take him to a morgue to be examined.

In short, it turns out he isn't dead but he's far from what he once was. He returns home and his family must recover from the shock of finding out that he is actually still alive. During this point in time he pretty much completely ignores them and baracades himself in a room with Mjolnir and some chalk. All he does for weeks at a time is draw runic symbols on the wall. He's far beyond where they could've reached him before.

His wife is worried especially after learning that he attempted suicide, and tries to have him institutionalized. This is a big deal, considering Thor and this guy are arguing about whether or not to fight back. Thor convinces the guy to go willingly at first and just escape later because he doesn't want to reveal himself (he's seen what happens when someone's godhood is confirmed).

That's pretty much the direction it's going to go into. Thor will survive through this man and spend the first few issues developing into what he once was. Loki will be involved, but his development will seem smoother than Thor's as he settled into the mortal world while Thor was still sleeping and has regained his power and a faithful group of followers as well. So eventually Loki will come after Mjolnir as usual. I'm going to try and use different villains from other Rogues like Sabretooth and Rhino at first.

There would also be a great contrast between their views. Both as god and man aswell as two different individuals. For instance, Thor likes his beer warm, this guy likes it cold, he probably would back down from a barfight, Thor may not, or vice versa.

Asgard won't be ignored nor will the supporting characters in Thor. I'd just want to focus on Thor and Loki for a while though before I tackle what happened to Asgard and the rest of its inhabitants.

I like this take on the character. Having him bonded to an unstable human being might be the one element that Thor Needs. Question: Does he keep the power that he attained towards the end of the book? Because I really liked that Thor. Without the Odin Force, but now fully cognitive of what he actually is and what he can do. Great idea man.

Dread said:
Precisely. Plus, it all depends on how he uses his powers. He has "keen eyesight", although nothing superhuman. He has extensive knowledge of martial arts and ergo some anatomy. He can enhance his blows with chi. Now, say, maybe he targets someone's nerves in their arms...

Considering that the Street Fighter comic is selling rather well for a title made outside the "Big Two", it is a shame that Marvel's love of fads hasn't led to some better Iron Fist work. His last series was just so mediocre. He needs either to face opponents that the average fan knows, or just to have a spectacular battle that will give thrills regardless. Preferably both. Iron Fist had none.

Now, the 4-issue Taskmaster series was a good way to do a short story about an underknown person. How did issue #1 start? A fight with Iron Man, someone everyone knows. That'd get your interest in Taskmaster up if you were a casual fan, eh? Plus it had him use his abilites well, had some dynamic art and got into his head a bit. Not bad. Of course, like most small, good Marvel books, they didn't collect it into a trade and didn't hype it, so those who missed the boat have to track it down or wait for someone to post it on Hype again. ;)

And yes, I actually have a fan fiction idea revolving around Mystique and Taskmaster forced to team up in a simple action thriller.

With the use of multiple styles of martial arts, and more potent use of his chi attacks, as well as a few wins over established heavy weights, (or popular characters) And thats all the Fist needs to become a breakout character. Why the hell is it nobody thought of this before?

I always thought Iron fist had to have a rematch with Sabertooth and wipe the floor with him.Seeing as he was kicking Sabertooth's ass before Wovie ever lay eyes on him.Also I wouldn't mind Fist going up against the hand.

Anubis said:
I like this take on the character. Having him bonded to an unstable human being might be the one element that Thor Needs. Question: Does he keep the power that he attained towards the end of the book? Because I really liked that Thor. Without the Odin Force, but now fully cognitive of what he actually is and what he can do. Great idea man.

Thanks Anubis. As I probably said before (or forgot to say) Thor would have to work his way up to what he was when Ragnarok occurred. I'd most likely have him greatly powered down due to his host's own human inhibitions. A god's power is measured by the faith of his people. If the one person who truly matters doesn't believe in his power, what then?

So there should be a process of spiritual growth for this guy. May even make him an atheist....just because.

This is long but bear with it.

Let me start out by saying that I like Thor but I’m not a huge fan. Out of over 14,000 comics I own, maybe 100 are Thor comics. I know him more from his time in the Avengers than anything else. That being said, I think I have a good grasp of the character and the world he populates but I don’t claim to be an expert. So some ideas that I say are “new” might really not be, it may just be I’ve never read them. Not that it matters or anything since this is a restart.

Here’s what I suggest as a “restart” to Thor.

This is possibly the best comic for a nearly complete restart. Plain and simple. The world was destroyed and has to be rebuilt. So some changes are to be expected and in this case would be acceptable (I think).

My main goal was to integrate real world Norse Myth with the history from the comics. Change the settings and histories a bit but still pay close attention to what has come before. I also want the stories to follow the myths some more. Many of the stories would parallel the ancient myths with out actually following them exactly. Also, I want to give respect to the history that is already established in Marvel's Thor. I'm not saying everything else didn't happen, I'm just saying everything from now on will be different and new. All the previous stories happened, but since everyone will be reborn, their histories will affect them differently.

Some of the main things I want to do are:

1) Keep the stories away from Earth. While Thor obviously will go to Earth at some point, I’ve always enjoyed his adventures in Asgard the most.
2) Bring back Odin and the dead Asgardians. This is the perfect point to bring them back because its expected and acceptable.
3) With Odin back, knock Thor back down a level. I enjoyed King Thor but I enjoyed him as simply Thor better.

So here goes my idea.

Title

I’m going to suggest returning to the title, Journey into Mystery (unfortunately Volume 3 since Marvel is a restart-****e) for several reasons.

First, this allows the title to expand beyond being Thor-centric. While Thor will still be the main character, the rich tapestry that is the Asgardian world can be explored without ignoring a “title” character. The Asgardian dimension is called The Nine Worlds for a reason. THERE ARE NINE ENTIRE WORLDS. Mostly in the past, the only exploration was in two of the worlds, Asgard and Midgard, with the occasional foray into Muspelheim or Jotunheim. Entire races live in the other worlds of the Asgardian Dimension that have barely been heard from. Having said all of that, the focus will always be on the Asgardians themselves, and specifically Thor, but we will see the other worlds through the eyes of the Asgardians.

Second, the word “Journey” in the title tells us the path the stories will follow. We’ll be on a voyage of learning. As the Asgardian Dimension is recreated, things will be slightly different, characters will have to relearn things, relationships will be reestablished or left behind, new people will be introduced, new conflicts discovered. The readers will be coming along with the characters on a journey of discover and creation, being a witness as The Nine Worlds are set into motion again.

Third, the word “Mystery” tells what the stories are about. But to understand it you have to look past the common usage of the word “mystery.” Mystery has come to mean a story that needs to be solved or a secret that only a few know but it means so much more than that. Mystery in it’s more traditional sense speaks of religion and secret sects, methods of worship, mysticism, and ways of life unknown to the world at large. Mystery literal means in this case an unknown place, a place where magic happens, a place where the common man is astounded and can’t fully understand. A place where a person can change his shape (Loki), where another calls lightning from the sky (Thor), where another knows you are coming when your first step is taken (Heimdall), where a one-eyed man sees all (Odin). A world whose inhabitants were objects of worship for hundreds of years and may again become that hundreds of years from now.

Fourth, and possibly the one that holds up the least, this is a new beginning for characters and worlds that have been firmly established for decades. Harkening back to their beginning only seems fitting when we are again building the world from the ground up.

Themes

Obviously, as stated in the Title section, two of the themes are going to be The Journey, and The Mystery. Two other themes round out the basis for the stories; The Duality and The Conflict.

We’ll look at the Duality of Thor as God and man. I’ve always thought Thor worked best as a “man of two worlds.” The two sides of Thor, god and man, were what set him apart from many other heroes and what set him apart from his fellow Asgardians. This dichotomy of character is so important to him that it became a major focus of his storylines as we came to the end of his most recent series. Only Thor could stop the cycle of death and rebirth because of his dual nature. Odin had set out a plan that he knew only his son could complete, with nothing but the hope that Thor would realize his true potential. I see Thor as the beloved son of the king, but also a bit of an outsider because much of his life is grounded away from Asgard. But Thor’s character is not the only example of The Duality that will be part of the stories.

We’ll look at the dual nature of Loki, god and giant, which I think has never been played to its full potential and how it contrasts with Thor’s duality as god and man. Thor’s humanity has always been a driving force behind his character and personality but Loki has no humanity. He is not a son of Gaea as Thor is. He is entirely foreign to Earth and to Asgard. A Giant by nature, a god by nurture. Remembering that Odin adopted Loki, the fact that Loki is the heir to the giants throne, as well as second in line for the throne of the Asgardians should be addressed. An interesting point would also be how Odin views his adopted son. Because we need to remember that Odin himself is the son of giants who became a god.

Another area to be explored is Odin’s duality as All-Father and father. How can one rule a world and still live in his household. This story is old as time, the stories of fathers and sons and the things that keep them apart and bring them together. Mirrored in a hundred other tales, real and fictional, of Kings and their children.

With The Duality comes, of course, The Conflict. Conflict is the driving force behind almost all stories. Whether it be on a personal level in relationships or on a grand scale in battles, conflict is what takes a character from one point to another. How will they react to it? Will they overcome it? How will the be changed by it?

Conflict as it takes form in Journey into Mystery will come on all levels. Traditional conflicts between Loki and Thor will be evident as will conflict between the Giants and the Gods. Personal conflicts will arise as characters reestablish themselves and relationships reform or split apart. And a new conflict will be created that will be a driving force within many stories. The conflict between the Aesir and the Vanir.

The Aesir are the race we commonly refer to as the Asgardians. These are Odin and Thor’s people, including Balder, Heimdall, Sif, etc. The Vanir are another race, similar to the Aesir, dwelling in the same world of Asgard. From my experience, all of the peoples of Asgard have been grouped into one category within the comics (though I could be off here because I’ve read only about a hundred Thor comics). Traditional Norse myth separates the two and speaks of them battling for many years until a truce is reached between the two peoples. Establishing the Vanir as a competing people adds another layer of conflict to the mix, creating multiple fronts which Odin and his people must fight on. But the battles with the Vanir will not necessarily be the same as the conflicts with Giants. The Vanir are the same as the Aesir essentially. Think of them more as a rival political faction, a nation seeking to take over, working from the inside and out to sway the Aesir to their cause. While the Vanir and Aesir share a border they are not in direct warfare with each other but rather are fighting a psychological, ideological war.

Most of the “heroic” characters that we know of , Odin, Thor, Balder, Heimdall, etc., will be part of the Aesir. The Vanir will consist of some established characters, Frey, Sigyn, Freya, Agnar, and some new characters.

Stories

I see the stories taking place in 3 issue story arcs because I feel three issues is about the longest a story needs to go on and Marvel would still be able to produce it as a trade by collecting to arcs at a time.

The first year of story arcs would be named:

1. Mystery and Monsters
The first arc, as an homage to the “original” premises of Journey into Mystery, will focus on mystery and monsters. It would lead us from shortly after Disassembled up to the recreation of the Nine Worlds. It would very closely mirror the Norse creation myth using metaphor, misdirection and modern parallels. Expect a lot of hidden meanings and multiple levels of understanding.

2. Resurrection and Rebirth
The second arc begins with the reestablishment of the Nine Worlds (eight technically since Midgard never left). It would set up our basic history and ongoing stories, introduce the major cast (Thor, Loki, Odin, etc.). The first World to be created would be Asgard and the story arc would be told through the eyes of an Asgardian (probably Thor) as he rediscovers his place in it all. I’d also like to see a detailed map of the worlds in this arc, similar to what could be found in the old Official Handbooks.

3. Kings and Kingdoms
The third arc takes us through the two large conflicts that will always be going on; Aesir vs. Giants and Aesir vs. Vanir. We’ll look at the battles and conflicts through the eyes of the kings of these three kingdoms, Aesir – Odin, Vanir – Frey, Giants – Utgard-loki. This arc would be especially Thor-centric because Odin, the All-Seeing, does not usually take an active hand in the politics and war. He’s much more likely to send Thor and his warriors where needed and make sure all the pieces in place. Utgard-loki revels in battle and leads from the front lines. He wants to see his enemies die and take an active role. Frey, king of the Vanir, is much more subtle. He likes to use assassinations, politics, and espionage to accomplish his goals.

4. Midgard and Marvels
The fourth arc is the one everyone’s been waiting for, Thor returns to Earth. A crisis has arisen requiring Thor to return to Earth and take an active role. It would deal with the strain Thor’s absence has caused, Thor grieving over lost friends he hadn’t known were gone, trying to reconnect with those he loves and above all, some knock-down, drag-out, old-school super heroics and fighting.

I’ve actually got most of the first issue written, in comic script form, and have plotted the entire first year. That’s why I didn’t give more info on the stories, I plan on writing them out. I’ll probably have the first issue written in the next couple days. I’ll post it when I do.

So.

That’s my pitch. I’m guessing if you made it this far you liked the idea. What do you think?

while writing my Captain America story i stumbled across a story for Moon Knight. I remembered reading the forword to Batman Knightfall. They normally do a meeting of all the Batwriters and go over storylines.Almost everytime they do one of these someone would suggest getting rid of Bruce Wayne. So Knightfall came out of an editors explaination of why Bruce should still be Batman. I thought if I could tell a story that would be a fanletter/loveletter to Moon Knight. Make him cool again to everyone. The story is called Phases and each individual chapter will be named after a moon phase. Basicly during Moon Knight gets hurt on a mission and Marlene gives him an ultimatum...MK or her. Spector travels to egypt and meets with the Priests of Khonshu and they tell him that in order to quit being MK he has to choose and train his successor. Spector returns and finds 23 year old Isaiah Vaughn who is wrongly accused of murder. Spector helps him beat the charges and takes him in as his trainee. After several months of training the Priests of Khonshu hold a ceremony where Khonshu's favor moves from Spector to Vaughn. Spector goes and marries Marlene and then rides off into the sun. Vaughn takes over and makes several rookie mistakes until he meets with 'Jake Lockley' who tells Vaughn he can make him a better fighter than what Spector. After several attempts Vaughn accepts and 'Lockley' introduces him to the god Set. Vaughn accepts Set and becomes the Fist of Set. In the mystical world Set kills Khonshu. As the Fist of Set Vaughn begins to destroy everything that has to do with MK. He murders the Priests and then attacks Spector. With his new found powers and Spector's lack of powers Vaughn brutally beats Spector. The fight ends with Spector being decapitated. Vaughn brings the head to 'Lockley' who is revealed to be Bushman. In the land of the dead Khonshu uses his last bit of life to return Spector to life and grant him some new abilities. A shadow snatches Spectors head as Spector appears in Grant Mansion in his Mk suit smoldering. A year has passed and Bushman and the Fist of Set have taken over the L.A. crime scene.MK declares war on them......this is as far as I got with it though.

DBM said:
This is long but bear with it.

Let me start out by saying that I like Thor but I’m not a huge fan. Out of over 14,000 comics I own, maybe 100 are Thor comics. I know him more from his time in the Avengers than anything else. That being said, I think I have a good grasp of the character and the world he populates but I don’t claim to be an expert. So some ideas that I say are “new” might really not be, it may just be I’ve never read them. Not that it matters or anything since this is a restart.

Here’s what I suggest as a “restart” to Thor.

This is possibly the best comic for a nearly complete restart. Plain and simple. The world was destroyed and has to be rebuilt. So some changes are to be expected and in this case would be acceptable (I think).

My main goal was to integrate real world Norse Myth with the history from the comics. Change the settings and histories a bit but still pay close attention to what has come before. I also want the stories to follow the myths some more. Many of the stories would parallel the ancient myths with out actually following them exactly. Also, I want to give respect to the history that is already established in Marvel's Thor. I'm not saying everything else didn't happen, I'm just saying everything from now on will be different and new. All the previous stories happened, but since everyone will be reborn, their histories will affect them differently.

Some of the main things I want to do are:

1) Keep the stories away from Earth. While Thor obviously will go to Earth at some point, I’ve always enjoyed his adventures in Asgard the most.
2) Bring back Odin and the dead Asgardians. This is the perfect point to bring them back because its expected and acceptable.
3) With Odin back, knock Thor back down a level. I enjoyed King Thor but I enjoyed him as simply Thor better.

So here goes my idea.

Title

I’m going to suggest returning to the title, Journey into Mystery (unfortunately Volume 3 since Marvel is a restart-****e) for several reasons.

First, this allows the title to expand beyond being Thor-centric. While Thor will still be the main character, the rich tapestry that is the Asgardian world can be explored without ignoring a “title” character. The Asgardian dimension is called The Nine Worlds for a reason. THERE ARE NINE ENTIRE WORLDS. Mostly in the past, the only exploration was in two of the worlds, Asgard and Midgard, with the occasional foray into Muspelheim or Jotunheim. Entire races live in the other worlds of the Asgardian Dimension that have barely been heard from. Having said all of that, the focus will always be on the Asgardians themselves, and specifically Thor, but we will see the other worlds through the eyes of the Asgardians.

Second, the word “Journey” in the title tells us the path the stories will follow. We’ll be on a voyage of learning. As the Asgardian Dimension is recreated, things will be slightly different, characters will have to relearn things, relationships will be reestablished or left behind, new people will be introduced, new conflicts discovered. The readers will be coming along with the characters on a journey of discover and creation, being a witness as The Nine Worlds are set into motion again.

Third, the word “Mystery” tells what the stories are about. But to understand it you have to look past the common usage of the word “mystery.” Mystery has come to mean a story that needs to be solved or a secret that only a few know but it means so much more than that. Mystery in it’s more traditional sense speaks of religion and secret sects, methods of worship, mysticism, and ways of life unknown to the world at large. Mystery literal means in this case an unknown place, a place where magic happens, a place where the common man is astounded and can’t fully understand. A place where a person can change his shape (Loki), where another calls lightning from the sky (Thor), where another knows you are coming when your first step is taken (Heimdall), where a one-eyed man sees all (Odin). A world whose inhabitants were objects of worship for hundreds of years and may again become that hundreds of years from now.

Fourth, and possibly the one that holds up the least, this is a new beginning for characters and worlds that have been firmly established for decades. Harkening back to their beginning only seems fitting when we are again building the world from the ground up.

Themes

Obviously, as stated in the Title section, two of the themes are going to be The Journey, and The Mystery. Two other themes round out the basis for the stories; The Duality and The Conflict.

We’ll look at the Duality of Thor as God and man. I’ve always thought Thor worked best as a “man of two worlds.” The two sides of Thor, god and man, were what set him apart from many other heroes and what set him apart from his fellow Asgardians. This dichotomy of character is so important to him that it became a major focus of his storylines as we came to the end of his most recent series. Only Thor could stop the cycle of death and rebirth because of his dual nature. Odin had set out a plan that he knew only his son could complete, with nothing but the hope that Thor would realize his true potential. I see Thor as the beloved son of the king, but also a bit of an outsider because much of his life is grounded away from Asgard. But Thor’s character is not the only example of The Duality that will be part of the stories.

We’ll look at the dual nature of Loki, god and giant, which I think has never been played to its full potential and how it contrasts with Thor’s duality as god and man. Thor’s humanity has always been a driving force behind his character and personality but Loki has no humanity. He is not a son of Gaea as Thor is. He is entirely foreign to Earth and to Asgard. A Giant by nature, a god by nurture. Remembering that Odin adopted Loki, the fact that Loki is the heir to the giants throne, as well as second in line for the throne of the Asgardians should be addressed. An interesting point would also be how Odin views his adopted son. Because we need to remember that Odin himself is the son of giants who became a god.

Another area to be explored is Odin’s duality as All-Father and father. How can one rule a world and still live in his household. This story is old as time, the stories of fathers and sons and the things that keep them apart and bring them together. Mirrored in a hundred other tales, real and fictional, of Kings and their children.

With The Duality comes, of course, The Conflict. Conflict is the driving force behind almost all stories. Whether it be on a personal level in relationships or on a grand scale in battles, conflict is what takes a character from one point to another. How will they react to it? Will they overcome it? How will the be changed by it?

Conflict as it takes form in Journey into Mystery will come on all levels. Traditional conflicts between Loki and Thor will be evident as will conflict between the Giants and the Gods. Personal conflicts will arise as characters reestablish themselves and relationships reform or split apart. And a new conflict will be created that will be a driving force within many stories. The conflict between the Aesir and the Vanir.

The Aesir are the race we commonly refer to as the Asgardians. These are Odin and Thor’s people, including Balder, Heimdall, Sif, etc. The Vanir are another race, similar to the Aesir, dwelling in the same world of Asgard. From my experience, all of the peoples of Asgard have been grouped into one category within the comics (though I could be off here because I’ve read only about a hundred Thor comics). Traditional Norse myth separates the two and speaks of them battling for many years until a truce is reached between the two peoples. Establishing the Vanir as a competing people adds another layer of conflict to the mix, creating multiple fronts which Odin and his people must fight on. But the battles with the Vanir will not necessarily be the same as the conflicts with Giants. The Vanir are the same as the Aesir essentially. Think of them more as a rival political faction, a nation seeking to take over, working from the inside and out to sway the Aesir to their cause. While the Vanir and Aesir share a border they are not in direct warfare with each other but rather are fighting a psychological, ideological war.

Most of the “heroic” characters that we know of , Odin, Thor, Balder, Heimdall, etc., will be part of the Aesir. The Vanir will consist of some established characters, Frey, Sigyn, Freya, Agnar, and some new characters.

Stories

I see the stories taking place in 3 issue story arcs because I feel three issues is about the longest a story needs to go on and Marvel would still be able to produce it as a trade by collecting to arcs at a time.

The first year of story arcs would be named:

1. Mystery and Monsters
The first arc, as an homage to the “original” premises of Journey into Mystery, will focus on mystery and monsters. It would lead us from shortly after Disassembled up to the recreation of the Nine Worlds. It would very closely mirror the Norse creation myth using metaphor, misdirection and modern parallels. Expect a lot of hidden meanings and multiple levels of understanding.

2. Resurrection and Rebirth
The second arc begins with the reestablishment of the Nine Worlds (eight technically since Midgard never left). It would set up our basic history and ongoing stories, introduce the major cast (Thor, Loki, Odin, etc.). The first World to be created would be Asgard and the story arc would be told through the eyes of an Asgardian (probably Thor) as he rediscovers his place in it all. I’d also like to see a detailed map of the worlds in this arc, similar to what could be found in the old Official Handbooks.

3. Kings and Kingdoms
The third arc takes us through the two large conflicts that will always be going on; Aesir vs. Giants and Aesir vs. Vanir. We’ll look at the battles and conflicts through the eyes of the kings of these three kingdoms, Aesir – Odin, Vanir – Frey, Giants – Utgard-loki. This arc would be especially Thor-centric because Odin, the All-Seeing, does not usually take an active hand in the politics and war. He’s much more likely to send Thor and his warriors where needed and make sure all the pieces in place. Utgard-loki revels in battle and leads from the front lines. He wants to see his enemies die and take an active role. Frey, king of the Vanir, is much more subtle. He likes to use assassinations, politics, and espionage to accomplish his goals.

4. Midgard and Marvels
The fourth arc is the one everyone’s been waiting for, Thor returns to Earth. A crisis has arisen requiring Thor to return to Earth and take an active role. It would deal with the strain Thor’s absence has caused, Thor grieving over lost friends he hadn’t known were gone, trying to reconnect with those he loves and above all, some knock-down, drag-out, old-school super heroics and fighting.

I’ve actually got most of the first issue written, in comic script form, and have plotted the entire first year. That’s why I didn’t give more info on the stories, I plan on writing them out. I’ll probably have the first issue written in the next couple days. I’ll post it when I do.

So.

That’s my pitch. I’m guessing if you made it this far you liked the idea. What do you think?

That sounds great man and very original I think. Good luck with that, hopefully you can pitch it to Marvel before they go on and restart the title without you.

I don't even know what to say....Cool? Awsome? Fantastic? F**king incredible?!?!

I would really like to say thank you, to everybody that has posted something so far. You guys have taken this thread that was started on the whim of a druken fanboys suger rush, and turned it into something truely great. Why the hell aren't you guys writing comics? Tell me? Oh man, thumbs up man. Thumbs up all around. :up:

ThorneFox said:
That sounds great man and very original I think. Good luck with that, hopefully you can pitch it to Marvel before they go on and restart the title without you.

Thanks. Marvel should hurry up and hire me. Just wait until I get the first story arc written. It's pretty sweet.

You might want to edit out the quote of my post. My post was really long so when you add the quote in, it takes up a lot of space.

yeah we need to hurry up and get discovered....give a break to the four writers writing everything...lol

Draco:

First things first, I wouldn't have made it a big deal that Mystique was Nightcrawlers Mother, cause everybody already knew that anyway. It's not a secret. Kurt's dad wouln't have lived in another dimension, he wold have just been a Devil looking guy whoo led a cult of devil worshipers. Abyss couls have remained the brother. I also would have lost the whole angle with all the other Angels and Demons. And no way would Bobby have lived without a body and made a new one from the moisture in the others bodies. And Some one else would have done the art.

But the Juggernaut/Northstar side story in Draco was great.

One if I was writing the X-men I wouldnt write an origin story or try to fix mistakes a past writer made. Nightcrawler had a pretty basic origin...now it's a mess. I would cut down the titles. There is no need for three X-men books about the same team...make no mistake about it they are all the same team. If Marvel is adamant about three X-men books each would be drasticly different from the other. One book would the law enforcement team...an other would be the basic x-team and the other would be the X-corp team led by Banshee. Each team would have a different HQ and Logan would only be on one team...Period. Death would not happen because of a whim. If someone was to be written out of a series then I'd have something happen to them...lose powers, become paralysed, decide to have a normal life. Magneto cant be the only mutant who thinks killing humans will be a good thing. There should be other demogogues who spout mutant supremecy. I'd like to see mutant culture explored and I'd have Professor Xavier's storyline come to it's tragic and realistic end.

DBM: I like it. The Vanir were already established in Marvel's continuity but nothing much was ever said about them. Agnar, a dude who wanted to kill Balder but eventually became his friend during the Simonson run, was a Vanir.

I think an interesting change might be to allow Thor to keep his memories of the previous Asgard and all of his prior life. It would serve to further separate him from the other gods and make him a bit more tragic.

I like King Thor but I guess bumping him back down would make sense. He's still supposed to be second only to Odin in power among all the beings in Asgard though, so as long as he's actually written well and uses all of the powers at his disposal instead of being portrayed as the chump he was written as more and more as time went on, it would be cool.

I particularly liked the emphasis you put on expanding the scope beyond Thor. Asgard is so rich with potential, from supporting cast members to fantastic locations that a good artist could really impress with, that it's sad it hasn't been exploited as much as it could have been. Few people have really done anything new with the Asgardians since Stan Lee first introduced them in their Marvel incarnations. When's the last time you read a good, fun story with the Warriors Three or Balder or Sif? More of that would be excellent.

I'd also like to see Odin kept a bit more aloof for the most part. Put him up on Hlidskjalf, shrouded in shadow with Hugin and Munin fluttering around and landing on his shoulders. It would make him seem as all-powerful as the Asgardians claim him to be and it would emphasize that duality between All-Father and father when he has those touching scenes with Thor and Loki.

TheCorpulent1 said:
DBM: I like it. The Vanir were already established in Marvel's continuity but nothing much was ever said about them. Agnar, a dude who wanted to kill Balder but eventually became his friend during the Simonson run, was a Vanir.

I knew some of the Vanir had been around, I just wasn't sure how much. I started downloading the full run of Thor comics last night. Once I read throught them I'll probably flesh out the idea some.

Glad you like it though. :)

DBM said:
3. Kings and Kingdoms

I've never been big into Thor, either. But this is the part of your idea that I really like. I always like when a title is able to explore other worlds (FF during Byrne's run, Silver Surfer-not the recent one). And I love that they would interact with one another (politics). And every one of those worlds would have it's own heroes and villains.

RE: DBM's Thor proposal.

You know, when Marvel decided to end the legendary 40+ year tale of Thor, they tried to do it in a way that completely decimated and rendered moot every single Thor story ever writtin within the Marvel continuity. Priming the pump and cleaning the slate for a complete restart. I won't turn this into a rant about that as it really did piss me off to no end because this post isn't about that. But the thing that I cannot and will not ignore is how Thor, the sheer presence of Thor, the Asgardian magics and incantations and the like has affected the other characters in the Marvel universe.

A complete restart is what Marvel wants. Well DBMs extremely well written and thought out tales would do just fine to do this, but... there are to many loose ends left over from the ending of the prior Thor series to allow this to simply be a crisp and clean restart.

There are many more remnants of the presence and power of the Asgardians other than just Beta Ray Bill. The Wrecker and the Wrecking Crew, the Absorbing Man, and many many other Marvel villains and even Marvel heroes are a direct result of the existance and the power of the Norse gods. And not that DBM in his sheer awesomeness of storytelling wouldn't eventually address this issue. But it's happening right now. The Wrecking Crew, the Absorbing Man, et all are out there in normal Marvel continuity, in other comic titles currenly being printed and published as we speak, operating as they always have.

If the Ragnarok cycle has truly been broken, and the legend of the Norse gods of Asgard has truly ended, then the lives of all characters, mortals/heroes/villains/other that have been affected by them over the years should be vastly changed too.

So DBM, I do praise and commend your creativity and effort. I wish that Marvel would hire you and more guys like you who have passion in the care that they would handle the Marvel creative properties.

It's a damn shame that they (Marvel) let things get to this point, but I think of all the proposals and ideas I've heard so far, or all the creative minds that I would trust this character with (a list including Gaimen, Millar, and others)...

DBM, I would trust YOU before I would trust ANYONE ELSE, in or out of the industry, to do a good job and to respect the characters, the legend, and most importantly, the fans.

You and I have goofed on each other a lot over the last couple of years, but time and again you have earned my utmost respect and friendship (although we have not ever met). I wish you well in your ambition to become a Marvel writer. I share that very same ambition fueled by that passion that we have for these characters. But I think you deserve a real shot at it much much more than I do.

And people say I don't know how to say anything nice...:rolleyes:

I gotta tell you, that still came off as a bit condesending. ;) :D

Of course it did.

I can't say anything without coming off like a big jerk.

Gambit8370 said:
but... there are to many loose ends left over from the ending of the prior Thor series to allow this to simply be a crisp and clean restart.
Don't think of them as loose ends. Think of them as future plot points. :D
Gambit8370 said:
DBM, I would trust YOU before I would trust ANYONE ELSE, in or out of the industry, to do a good job and to respect the characters, the legend, and most importantly, the fans.

You and I have goofed on each other a lot over the last couple of years, but time and again you have earned my utmost respect and friendship (although we have not ever met). I wish you well in your ambition to become a Marvel writer. I share that very same ambition fueled by that passion that we have for these characters. But I think you deserve a real shot at it much much more than I do.

And people say I don't know how to say anything nice...:rolleyes:

Awwww. I actually teared up a little there. Thanks for the kind words.

Though Anubis is right, everything you write has that sarcastic tone in my head even though I know you mean it.

DBM said:
Though Anubis is right, everything you write has that sarcastic tone in my head even though I know you mean it.
I'm sorry.

If there was any sarcasm or condescention whatsoever in that post it wasn't meant to be directed at you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"