Iron Man 3 Anybody else miss Terrence Howard as Rhodey?

Please do explain.
Can't wait to hear the "reasoning" behind this one.

Because Terrence Howard is a black actor, he has to be a stick in the mud or else he's a stereotypical buddy cop gangsta wannabe shivin and jivin Eddie Murphy, Martin Lawrence, Chris Tucker wannabe, apparently.

NOTHING he did in the film was any more "black stereotype" than Tony Stark did. Its just because he's black he's getting compared to all these people. Its blatantly racist and I don't understand how you can't see that.

You didn't have to bring up race, but you did. You done like his portrayal? Thats fine. But using THAT as your reasoning is completely asinine.

Because Terrence Howard is a black actor, he has to be a stick in the mud or else he's a stereotypical buddy cop gangsta wannabe shivin and jivin Eddie Murphy, Martin Lawrence, Chris Tucker wannabe, apparently.

NOTHING he did in the film was any more "black stereotype" than Tony Stark did. Its just because he's black he's getting compared to all these people. Its blatantly racist and don't understand how you can't see that.

Right: so comparing someone acting like a black buddy-cop sidekick to another black buddy-cop sidekick is "racist," now, huh?

( Where's that "THAT'S RACIST!" kid meme when you need it? )

Who do you suggest I compare him to instead: Pee Wee Herman? :dry:

You didn't have to bring up race, but you did. You done like his portrayal? Thats fine. But using THAT as your reasoning is completely asinine.

*I* didn't bring race up at all: DENT did, if you'd bother to keep up.
God, why are you so slow?

The only thing remotely true about the "buddy-cop" thing would be that RBJ and Terrence Howard seemed like buddies. Rhodey wasn't a cop in that movie. He wasn't a gangster. He wasn't a pimp.

*I* didn't bring race up at all: DENT did, if you'd bother to keep up.
God, why are you so slow?

Oh, is that true? Well mind telling me who said this then

This is black sidekick shuckin' and jivin', and it's as old as the 60s. Cheadle in IM2 and IM3 acts like a Colonel in the USAF, not Eddie Murphy in 48 Hours.

That was the first mention of race in this entire thread.

The only thing remotely true about the "buddy-cop" thing would be that RBJ and Terrence Howard seemed like buddies. Rhodey wasn't a cop in that movie. He wasn't a gangster. He wasn't a pimp.

lmfao :pal:

hooray for taking analogies literally, eh? :doh:

That completely flew over your head...there was absolutely NOTHING in Iron Man that made Rhodey look like any of those things you brought up. You pulled them all out of your ass and you know it. If Terrence Howard came out and said "Hey Tony I'm going to go put some of these honies on the street" or something then the pimp comment would be legit but thats the farthest from the truth.
YOU are making these connections in YOUR MIND because theres no truth to them in reality.

Last edited:
There was absolutely NOTHING in Iron Man that made Rhodey look like any of those things you brought up. You pulled them all out of your ass and you know it.

Don't tell me what I *do* or *don't* believe. I've always hated Howard's portrayal for EXACTLY the reasons I've explained, and have said so for the past 5 years, even right here on this very forum.

I use the "black buddy cop sidekick" and "hip hop gangsta pimp" analogies because that's exactly the way I perceive him acting. And I perceive that kind of acting as being "shucking and jiving." Ask Spike Lee about how that works....he can tell you all about it.

You don't agree with my perception of Rhodey? Fine, disagree. It's not wrong, it's not right....it's an *opinion.* But when you and Dent start throwing around insulting labels like "racist," don't expect me not to react. That's flamebaiting, and you got your flame. You don't wanna deal with it, then learn to debate in a more civil manner before you start spouting insulting and presumptuous posts at people you don't even know.

Did you really think you'd be able to say that Terrence Howard was a "gangsta pimp shivin and jivin Eddie Murphy wannabe" without getting any flak for it? I'm not easily offended and even I think you crossed the line.

no. but he acted like some other actors who played cops/gangster/pimps in that specific way. I won't mention the names of those other actors because that would be racist by your definition.
Howard decided to portrait Rhodey that way. I'm not a fan of that decision, because it didn't fit Rhodey I knew from the comics and made not much sense. His behaviour as acted just was wrong for the character he played. His behaviour would have fit however if he had played Tony Stark who sometimes was shown to have a more extravagant persona. If Howard would have played Stark I would have no problem with it.

I honestly can't see any similarities between his performance and say someone like Eddie Murphy. Eddie Murphy's delivery is way different, he talks fast and loud. Terrence Howard was soft spoken and laid back. The only similarity is the colour of their skin which bothers me. I didn't see anything stereotypical about his performance. I just saw a likeable character.

Last edited:
I prefer Cheadle as well because i believe he's just a better overall actor, however i have to say i'm surprised by what some here are saying about Howards Rhodey portrayal.
I can see how one could say Howard and RDJ had better chemistry but u have to remember that in IM2, Stark and Rhodey spend majority of the movie pitted against each other. Up until the last 10-15 mins, they didnt really have any scenes to show off chemistry.
Howards Rhodey was a lot more laid back but i fail to see anything approaching stereotypical 'gangsta/pimp' acting. Are there any scenes in particular you can point out? because i'm running through the movie in my mind and i can't pinpoint any moments

just to get that right since english is obviously not my first language:
YOU are bother by the colour of his skin but I am racist?

No I'm bothered by the fact that people are comparing them when the only similarities I can see is the colour of their skin, which tbh is quite different.

No I'm bothered by the fact that people are comparing them when the only similarities I can see is the colour of their skin, which tbh is quite different.

see, that's why I asked. I completely misunderstood you

Sam, I don't understand how you can't see what you're saying is racist. Not only did Rhodey not act nearly like the stereotype you're saying, the fact you're comparing him to all these things when he did not act that way is overtly racist. I would not throw this claim at you if it were not. Just because he was not a hard ass officer (which AGAIN officers do not act like that all the time) does not mean he was a token 60s black guy doing a black funny man impersonation. Seriously, just typing that sounds horrible given what he was really like in the film. Maybe you should rewatch it because you obviously don't have a good recollection of what happened with Rhodey's character.

This sounds racist to me, being black myself. Maybe you don't understand because you're not black (don't know if you are or not but I'm assuming you're not) but if you said any of this to any other black person and showed them how he actually acted in the film they would punch you.

You too R_Hythlodeus, especially with that gangsta pimp comparison you made.

Last edited:
Try to stick to intelligent debate instead of trying to dig for personal insults, mmkay? I'd hate to call in a mod on you, Dent, but you're seriously trying my patience with this particular post. I expect better of you.

Really? REALLY?

You have not shown yourself to be one for intelligent debate. a lot of your arguments involve crazy exaggerations and you are quick to dismiss the arguments of others.

You also seem to be expressing your father's opinion about military officers not having a sense of humour and not your own, since HE is the one with experience not you.

Just saying you need to get off your high horse there.

Wow. Just...wow. I really don't think some of you know what "gangsta pimps" act like.

How about people move on from this debate about racial stereotypes and calling other posters racist?

I don't know man, you can't just post some questionable s**t and expect everybody to just forget about it.

Right. I'm seriously interested in hearing the logic behind these claims.

Maybe they were watching Hustle and Flow and got that confused with Iron Man?

Wow. Just...wow. I really don't think some of you know what "gangsta pimps" act like.
To R_Hythlodeus credit, his first language isn't English apparently so he may have just said the wrong thing to get what he meant across or isn't that familiar with American/African American culture.

Right. I'm seriously interested in hearing the logic behind these claims.
They tried to explain them. Didn't make sense.

Maybe they were watching Hustle and Flow and got that confused with Iron Man?
Or too much Nutty Professor.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"