Anybody else miss Terrence Howard as Rhodey?

Discussion in 'Iron Man 3' started by Mr. Dent, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Guerrilla

Guerrilla Well-Known Member

I liked Howard as Rhodey, he seemed like a genuine friend to Tony. Then again, I feel the same way about Cheadle. Cheadle does come off a little more militaristic though. Cheadle looks pretty big in this photo. His arms dwarf RDJ's.
    [​IMG]

2. Anubis

Anubis Sup?

As far as what this actual thread is about, eh, I didn't really care either way about either of em. They were just kinda.....there.

3. Mr. Dent

Mr. Dent Well-Known Member

Yeah they do look pretty big there. Might just be how he has his arms hugged to his body though.

I just see Howard's acting in Dead Man Down and think about how good he could have been as Rhodes had he had more time. I'm still a little confused on what exactly happened between him and Marvel.

The reason why I started this now is because it seems like Rhodes will have a bigger role in IM3 and it got me thinking about how Howard would have been in the role.

4. R_Hythlodeus

R_Hythlodeus Nerd Supreme

the 'pimp' part came from you, originally IIRC. But, whatever. If you really had no problem with Howards performance that's good for you.

5. Mr. Dent

You weren't the one who said gangsta pimp, it was Sam, my bad. You said hip hop attitude...

6. R_Hythlodeus

R_Hythlodeus Nerd Supreme

yes, that sounds more like me.

7. Ant-manic

Ant-manic Well-Known Member

it's too bad that Wesley Snipes has that primadonna quality to him (and legal problems). i think he would have easily been a spinoff-worthy War Machine. of course, Michael Jai White probably could have done it too; with less chance of a spinoff. that said, i don't think they would have had any chemistry with RDj.

p.s. it's a shame that Idris Elba was already Heimdall. i think he would have been perfect for this role.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  8. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Well-Known Member

I cringe every time I see someone mention Michael Jai White's name for an acting role.

9. cherokeesam

cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

Go ahead: call me racist one more time.
    I'll let the mods sort it out.

You asked for an opinion about Howard vs. Cheadle, and I gave my take on it. EXACT same argument I made back in the IM2 discussion years ago, and there were plenty of people who agreed with my assessment, and not ONE of the people back then thought it was remotely a racist statement. In fact, if there's any racism there, it's on the part of the writers/actors/directors who gave Rhodey lines like that and made him a walking stereotype.

If you don't see that or agree with that: fine. Your opinion vs. my opinion; we're all entitled to 'em. But if you *insist* on continually hurling epithets at me and making this a PERSONAL argument instead of an objective one, I'll let you address your next comments to the mods and let them decide who's worthy of the banhammer.

I'm done with this argument.

10. Anubis

Anubis Sup?

I think the dude from the All-State commercials woulda been pretty sweet.

11. CastlesInTheAir

CastlesInTheAir Well-Known Member

All right. What's wrong, Honey Bee? I've known you too long. Now, if something's bothering you, why don't you lay it on me?

12. T"Challa

T"Challa Well-Known Member

Even though his role was small, the guy was painful to watch in Dark Knight. It was comical.

However, i still think Black Dynamite was hilarious.

13. CastlesInTheAir

:up:

14. CastlesInTheAir

:whatever:

Why do you keep hiding behind the mods? No one said anything about banning anyone, we were just pointing out the flaws in your reasoning. You can call someone out on saying something wrong without calling them a racist.

I'm done here too, I just wanted to get that last bit out there.

15. Webfoot Hero

Webfoot Hero West Coaster

I've always liked him as an actor but it's too bad he's near 60 now.

16. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Well-Known Member

As I recall, fun-vee was Stark not Rhodey in the first movie.

I miss Howard's performance as Rhodey, but that ship has sailed. What can you do?

Maybe its the baggage people have toward Howard's previous roles or personal life, but he came off pretty straight-laced to me.

Most of the lines mentioned as being "stereotypical" for Howard IMHO were not over the top, goofy Chris Tucker type lines.

17. CastlesInTheAir

18. Hawkingbird

Hawkingbird I want to be Kate Bishop

I personally think they are equally as good as Rhodey. I never felt either was better than the other.

19. Mr. Dent

We're not calling you racist, we're saying what you are saying sounds racist and you need to watch it. You would do well to remember that irl as well. You can get yourself into real trouble saying the kind of stuff you're posting here in the real. I am not the only one telling you this, so you should realize there is something wrong with what you are saying.

Again, I'm NOT calling you a racist, no one else here thinks I'm calling you a racist, and if you took it to a mod I'm sure they would agree with me. What I am saying is that you don't understand what you are saying comes off as racist and stereotyping especially coupled with the fact that none of the examples you bring up point to Howard's Rhodey being a jivin and shivin 60's funny black man gangast pimp persona.

20. jaqua99

jaqua99 ....I need a horse!

You guys are ridiculous lol. Sam, I don't necessarily 100% agree with what you are saying, but you're the freakin best lol ..

I am just going to put this stupid thing to rest. First of all, this is my opinion on the cheadle/howard thing ...right here

I'd like to think this is a pretty unbiased opinion. Now before I say what I am about to say, Castle, and whoever else, don't jump on me for saying this, as my opinion is above. but I, in a way, agree with Sam.

Everyone is blowing the race thing out of proportion. But for Howards role, everything I just said in the post I quoted, that's what I see in him. However, there is no doubt some black stereotypes by Howard in that movie. That doesn't mean it was intentional, as those are probably Howards' mannerisms. His mannerisms, the way he speaks, the natural swagger, how he literally formed his words, to me, he fit some black stereo types. Unintentionally. Stereotypes are stereotypes, but like always, some people legitimately fit stereotypes. Hell, I'll be honest, I fit every single Italian stereotype. I worked with a kid who fit the "jock" stereotype (pisses me off, I was a jock in high school, but wasn't a duech) anyway, these stereotypes... They is what probably led sam to explain why it is a racist performance by howard. That does not mean he is racist, or being racist, it's just a deduction he made about a character, who he thought, was portayed in a racist way.

I am not Sam, but I guarentee this was his point of view. I have yet to read one post by him here that seemed racist. Observing something racist doesn't make you racist.

Let this thing die down, or a mod will get involved.

I'll tattle on all of you like a little girl

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  21. CastlesInTheAir

We'll agree to disagree then. I saw nothing racist in Howard's performance, he was playing a character, and a convincing likeable one IMO. If you consider Howard's mannerisms racist then thats your problem.

22. BigThor

BigThor God of Thunder

^ Agreed, I truely miss Terrence Howard as James "Rhodey" Rhodes :(

23. jaqua99

my problem? really? First of all, I didn't say I saw it racist. Secondly, just because my opinion differs from yours, it means I have a problem??...I am telling you my POV, and most likely Sam's reasoning for his as well. Since an opinion differs from your opinion, said person has a problem? a bit egocentric huh? Let's not do that, or be like that. People like that aren't very likeably. Anywhere.

Now, as to my POV, I repeat..

I saw some stereotypes in Horwards portrayal that were probably unintentional. Those stereotypes..erhmmm *are what probably lead sam to think it was a racist performance*

alright?

No one is being racist here, I've taken a sociology cource this semester and last semester, with that **** being drilled into my head, I think i know enough to recognize the difference between stereotyping and racism lol cause they arent the same thing

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  24. CastlesInTheAir

Okay. If Sam considers Howard's performance to be racist then its his problem, not mine.

25. jaqua99

Lol, sorry for being a bit aggressive there. But it's not his problem. Nor is it anyone's problem. It's just..his opinion.