Arrival- Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Triplet, is there anyone that does a review for smallville on this board that you know of.

Because being a writer like I am also, I had thought I would start a review column for this board and the people who come here and enjoy the show like us.
If someone else does that you know of let me know please.

Danke!:)

triplet said:
:D :up:

I don't forgive them their bad episodes but I actually had someone PM me on K-site saying that my reviews helped them see the show in a different way and they found they were enjoying the show more.

That made me feel really good.

:up:

If I can spread the word about how excellent the show is to one and all, I've done my job.

That's excellent. Good Job!

Serene I think its a phone interview.

I was just looking at those new stills again, I cant wait to see how Clark gets out of that vortex.

Brainiac 8 said:
Triplet, is there anyone that does a review for smallville on this board that you know of.

Yeah, The Incredible Hulk did one last year but I don't know if he'll continue... He put it up on a blog site and always posted links to his reviews on the episode discussion threads...

Brainiac 8 said:
Because being a writer like I am also, I had thought I would start a review column for this board and the people who come here and enjoy the show like us.

If someone else does that you know of let me know please.

Danke!:)

Bitte. ;) That's about the extent of my German... :D

I'm not sure that anyone else does formal reviews, and mine tend to be a bit more verbose than Hulk's, I tend to go into the technical aspects a little (I was a film major in college)...

triplet said:
Yeah, The Incredible Hulk did one last year but I don't know if he'll continue... He put it up on a blog site and always posted links to his reviews on the episode discussion threads...

I'm not sure that anyone else does formal reviews, and mine tend to be a bit more verbose than Hulk's, I tend to go into the technical aspects a little (I was a film major in college)...

You know who else does really technical reviews for Smallville, is Neal Baily on Supermanhomepage.com. He can be a bit harsh on the show sometimes too. But his reviews are good. I didn't know you were the Ksite reviewer, good job.:up:

I saw one guy do a review of Blank, and honest to goodness he was so damn picky that I couldnt understand why he was reviewing a Smallville episode and posting it on a Smallville website.

I'm not sure if its the guy you're speaking of Brainiac but he was so damn technical that I thought it was beyond ridiculous. I just think some of these reviewers, and Triplet is definitely not one of them, need to realise that Smallville is a fantasy fictional TV show.

I've rambled a bit, but to those who havent read Triplet's reviews she does a really fair and great job of them, and points out things that you dont often see as a viewer. :up:

avidreader said:
I saw one guy do a review of Blank, and honest to goodness he was so damn picky that I couldnt understand why he was reviewing a Smallville episode and posting it on a Smallville website.

I'm not sure if its the guy you're speaking of Brainiac but he was so damn technical that I thought it was beyond ridiculous. I just think some of these reviewers, and Triplet is definitely not one of them, need to realise that Smallville is a fantasy fictional TV show.

I've rambled a bit, but to those who havent read Triplet's reviews she does a really fair and great job of them, and points out things that you dont often see as a viewer. :up:

It could be, he picks apart very strange things out of the show and get very technical, in a negetive way, that sometimes he gets a little over the top. I think he may forget that it is a fantasy show, like you said.

He did point out on two or three episodes that you can see mountains in the backround, it was kinda funny. But if he likes an episode he will praise it above all things though.

Brainiac 8 said:
You know who else does really technical reviews for Smallville, is Neal Baily on Supermanhomepage.com. He can be a bit harsh on the show sometimes too. But his reviews are good. I didn't know you were the Ksite reviewer, good job.:up:

Well, Neal and I have vastly different styles and I'm pretty sure he does not come from the same place I do when reviewing.

I review the show cause I love it, he seemingly barely tolerates it for existing....

Meh... to each his own. A lot of people love his reviews and find them funny, I don't particularly.

I used to also read the episode recaps on Television Withtout Pity, but I don't go out of my way to read those anymore... They tend to be really long.

There are a lot of fan reviews done on tv.com, btw. If you want to read more reviews you should check there, once the episode airs.

Last season left most of the characters in jeopardy as a meteor shower rained down on Smallville. While a meteor crashed into the Kent's house, Lana saw a spaceship in a crater and watched as it started to open, and Lex, on the hunt for the stones, took Chloe to the caves. Chloe was able to stop Lex from seeing Clark in a blaze of white light, but she got caught in the fallout when Clark was transported to someplace with a whole bunch of snow.

As season five begins, Lana sees two beings emerge from the spaceship. She tries to run, but they confront her and demand to know where Kal-El is. Meanwhile, Lois arrives at the Kent's house and helps Jonathan dig through the wreckage looking for Martha. They find her, but she's barely alive. And at the caves, Lex wakes up to find Chloe gone, but something else of interest catches his attention.

In Alaska, Clark throws the artifact into the snow, and the Fortress of Solitude emerges from the ground. He enters the structure and is told by Jor-El that "a dark force from Krypton has been awakened, and its sights are set on Earth." He tells Clark he must study with diligence, because it is the only way to save the planet.

However, just as Clark begins his training, a nearly frozen Chloe finds her way into the Fortress. Clark knows he has to save her, but Jor-El tells him he must be back before the sun sets. Clark makes the promise he will return on time. However, as Clark races to save those he loves and heads toward Smallville, he soon discovers that keeping his promise to Jor-El may be more difficult than he thought.

Revelations and a new villain

With some major revelations, an increase in the tension between Clark and Lex and a new villain on the horizon, Smallville's season-five premiere was well worth the wait. The WB promises "everything you've waited four seasons to see ... will happen." And it just might, based on where this first episode of the season is taking us.

"Arrival" works on several levels, particularly in strengthening the bonds between some of the characters and pushing farther apart the eroding relationship between Lex and Clark. The Superman mythology also gets touched on as Clark finally makes it to the Fortress of Solitude, which in design is very reminiscent of the Superman movies with Christopher Reeve.

While the plot involving the Kryptonians and their search for Kal-El has little depth, it's quite obviously a setup for something to come. Still, it's a weak device that could have been better incorporated into the story.

However, what does work nicely are any moments that involve Michael Rosenbaum and his increasingly complex portrayal of Lex. We see his descent into evil and Clark's part in that journey. It colors the hero as well as the villain. Also, Kristin Kreuk as Lana is particularly good in the episode. Her own character's progression into the mythology of Smallville last season was fascinating, and in "Arrival" the mix of terror and bravery continued to build on that depth of character.

It's going to be quite a year for Smallville fans, who at the end of "Arrival" will finally get a glimpse of James Marsters as Brainiac. The character will appear in several episodes this year, becoming a major new villain. In addition, look for Aquaman to steal Lois' heart at some point this season.

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue440/screen2.html

Awesome!

So, Jor-El is going to teach him how to save earth, eh? Well, its not the 12 years tutelage that was in Superman: The Movie, but hey! Twelve years is a lot more to carry on the show without seeing Superman. I can see how this season will be "Superman in training" like Gough said. Can't wait!

I'm stunned.
I just watched the Arrival clips just posted to K-Site, and each one is wonderful and so touching. Man, I missed this show.

2 more days...

double post. oops
ashamed0003.gif

avidreader said:
Thanks for posting that Kiki. I guess tomorrow we can dowload it after its been on. I live in Southern California but I can barely get reception for 106.7.

You're welcome
icon7.gif
Anything for a fellow Smallvillian.
icon10.gif

Serene said:
I'm stunned.
I just watched the Arrival clips just posted to K-Site, and each one is wonderful and so touching. Man, I missed this show.

2 more days...

Wow.. they're great.. Tom Welling is as handsome as ever and Kristin totally rocked in that last scene.

Why isn't it thursday yet?

triplet said:
Wow.. they're great.. Tom Welling is as handsome as ever and Kristin totally rocked in that last scene.

I seriously am so moved by all 4 clips. Those were good scenes to showcase. I wonder why they would release so much of the show prior to the airing? Not that I'm complaining. :)

Granted, I really like KK, but her delivery in that last scene was just perfect. And I loved how Tom handled the scene with Chloe.

I'm just going to watch those clips over and over until Thursday finally gets here.

Serene said:
I seriously am so moved by all 4 clips. Those were good scenes to showcase. I wonder why they would release so much of the show prior to the airing? Not that I'm complaining. :)

Granted, I really like KK, but her delivery in that last scene was just perfect. And I loved how Tom handled the scene with Chloe.

I'm just going to watch those clips over and over until Thursday finally gets here.
Um...yes. I don't know what else to say. All four clips were really good. Moving. Well-acted. A little rough, they felt, in the audio at least. But still...I think I'm going to be watching these again...and again. These were damn good.

Awesome clips. Welling's really "turning into the man," as corny as that may sound...

Well, it's Wednesday now. Which means it's still not Thursday. Damnit!

triplet said:

yeah I'm still going to be doing them, but I'll be doing them (among other things) for a website this year, instead of my own personal blog. I dont know if it will all be together for tomorrow's ep though so I may just blog that one too... More details to follow :supes:

The Incredible Hulk said:
yeah I'm still going to be doing them, but I'll be doing them (among other things) for a website this year, instead of my own personal blog. I dont know if it will all be together for tomorrow's ep though so I may just blog that one too... More details to follow :supes:
aHAH! Gotcha. ;)

<- putting the pieces together. :D :up:

Just got throught listening to Tom on the radio. What an adorable man!!! I have no technical abilities so I couldn't capture, but it was well worth the whole 5 min little blurb. It'll be out on podcast this evening for those who want to listen.

They mostly talked about the show, but no new info. They did ask him about imdb bio blurb where he supposedly saved a woman from a mugger. He said it was actually him wearing the purse and a woman saved him from a mugger....heehee. Lots of other cutsie stuff that us girlies will swoon over. He was very careful not to mention his wife and to correct them on the fact that Clark not himself would be happy for the Lana/Clark thing happening. I don't think they knew he was married because of a couple of comments about Kristen. He was very gracious and humble about his fans and even said that he was the one sending in all the emails to the radio station about himself.
Anyway, on cloud nine now, but thought I should share.
love0058.gif

I won't be so quick with the KROQ clip. I might have that in three or four hours.

James, what is htm format? I can never download the clips from your site. I visit often because I just think you're so damn cheeky and irresistible, but alas I can't enjoy your clips or pics. :(

jas01724 said:
I've already put the clip up. :)

You are the man James. Thanks so much. Loved listening to that clip. :)

He was stacking the dishwasher, I found that so funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"