Arrival- Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Triligors said:
tonight. Just 12 more hours- yes!!!

Smallville Season 5 ARRIVES

Also, excited to see how the opening sequence was altered. Also Lois trying to bazooca kill the Kryptonians that's going to be a funny scene.

They'll be lucky if that scene does not turn out corny :p

AICN finally shows some love to Smallville:
http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=21428
[spoilers in the review]
Herc Quite Enjoys Tonight's
SMALLVILLE Season Premiere!!
I am – Hercules!!
I kind got fed up with “Smallville” and stopped watching early last season when Chloe Sullivan survived a cliffhanger explosion and Lionel Luthor dodged the gas chamber and Lex was suddenly friends with Clark again, and Clark was squandering his free time playing football against humans, and Lana somehow was the one American who stumbled upon some Old World Kryptonian relics. It just got to be too much for me.
The good news for me and those like me? You don’t have to have seen any part of season four to enjoy the season-five opener. It does a swell job of catching you up on who now knows Clark is Superboy, what Chloe is doing at the North Pole, where the Lex-Clark relationship stands, and any other questions that might niggle at you.
(Although – because I saw a few early episodes of season four – I am still a little curious as to how they explained the coincidence of Clark’s Smallville classmate, Lana, being the individual who happens to come upon Europe’s Kryptonian artifacts. Not curious enough to buy or watch the season-four DVD set, mind you, but curious enough to let the talkbackers catch me up if they’ve a mind to.)
From this point forward, do take that main-page spoiler warning-box seriously, because …
With this fifth-season premiere, the show suddenly and gratifyingly embraces the goofy 1978 special-effects iconography of Richard Donner’s 1978 “Superman” movie. While Clark’s birth-dad Jor-El has always been portrayed as kinda an evil presence in “Smallville” (his voice is provided by the great Terrence Stamp, who played supervillain Zod in the Donner movie), the Fortress of Solitude is reintroduced in 5.1, and looks EXACTLY like it did in the Marlon Brando movie. The Phantom Zone returns as well, and we again get to see the faces of agonized individuals pressed up against that spinning, floating geometric space-jail window. It’s all an excuse to recreate the weird ‘70s special effects with dramatic computer-generated imagery, and it’s great fun.
Clark does not tonight fly out of his new fortress as he does in the movie. Nor does he don the blue tights. But there are arrogant Kryptonian villains dressed in black wreaking small-town havoc. And we again get to hear a little bit of John Williams’ always-welcome “Superman” movie theme.
I’m inclined to believe these nods to Donner have something to do with the fact that Bryan Singer’s upcoming “Superman Returns” feature adheres so strongly to visual elements introduced in the 1978 feature. At this year’s Comic Con in San Diego, we heard Singer tell the thousands gathered that he and the producers of “Smallville” were sharing information about their respective projects. It seemed odd at the time, because the TV continuity and the movie continuity don’t – and can’t -really match up, but Singer’s comments do make more sense after you’ve seen both the “Superman Returns” footage screened at Comic Con and “Smallville” 5.1.
Lois Lane is now a regular character, with E.N. Durance’s pretty face newly wedged between those of Michael Rosenbaum and Allison Mack in the main title sequence.
We learn in the credits – the ones subsequent to the “Somebody Save Me” song - that “Buffy” vet James Marsters, who embodies the evil living computer Brainiac this season, appears in tonight’s opener, but I wish someone had arranged to reposition his credit to show’s end – or eliminate it entirely. Marsters’ is not a speaking part this week, and he only appears in the episode’s closing seconds. His nifty entrance would have had far more impact if we weren’t anticipating him all episode.
Herc’s rating for “Smallville” 5.1?
The Hercules T. Strong Rating System:
***** better than we deserve
**** better than most motion pictures
*** actually worth your valuable time
** as horrible as most stuff on TV
* makes you quietly pray for bulletins
8 p.m. Thursday. The WB.

Clark does not tonight fly out of his new fortress as he does in the movie. Nor does he don the blue tights. But there are arrogant Kryptonian villains dressed in black wreaking small-town havoc. And we again get to hear a little bit of John Williams’ always-welcome “Superman” movie theme.

:up:

Nice to see a non-fan enjoy the show so much. I can only imagine what us die-hards will think. :D

"THE DAY IS COMING WHEN THE LAST SON WILL BEGIN HIS QUEST TO SAVE HUMANITY!!!" :supes:

Nice to see something positive going forward. So many of the posts last season were negative.

Triligors said:
Also, excited to see how the opening sequence was altered. Also Lois trying to bazooca kill the Kryptonians that's going to be a funny scene.

Me too. :up: :up:

the fight won't take place in the hanger anymore, but in the Luthor Mansion, so no Lois with rocket launchers.

If you go to Yahoo.com theres a longer clip of the Clark and Chloe scene..you just have to click on the Smallville ad on the front page to see it.

Its only hours now! I can't believe it!!:)

The Phantom Zone returns as well, and we again get to see the faces of agonized individuals pressed up against that spinning, floating geometric space-jail window. It’s all an excuse to recreate the weird ‘70s special effects with dramatic computer-generated imagery, and it’s great fun.

WOW so it os confirmd THE PHANTOM ZONE is also goin to be in Smallville :D

Phantom zone, amazing. Also the Lois scene was meant for comedic relief because if it's not evident enough- tonight's episode will probably be the most serious SMALLVILLE ever. Remember what happened where we last left off, the after effects of such a meteor shower is going to be dramatic and some parts maybe even depressing. Thus, to have fights, comedy and phantom zone is going to be the things that liven it up.

mellyM said:
If you go to Yahoo.com theres a longer clip of the Clark and Chloe scene..you just have to click on the Smallville ad on the front page to see it.

Its only hours now! I can't believe it!!:)

gah! damn yahoo and their insistence on using WMV format for video files :mad: They never work right and look like doo doo... I keep getting to the part where Chloe says "flotilla" and then it stops and goes black :(

Gah! Okay, spent WAY too much time searching for this new Clark/Chloe clip. Where the **** is it? Anybody got a more specific link? The one off Yahoo just goes to the WB, and every clip there is the premiere trailer - which I've seen a few hundred times already. *sigh*

AgentPat said:
Gah! Okay, spent WAY too much time searching for this new Clark/Chloe clip. Where the **** is it? Anybody got a more specific link? The one off Yahoo just goes to the WB, and every clip there is the premiere trailer - which I've seen a few hundred times already. *sigh*

Did you click on the picture? If you're on yahoo.com there's the picture of the trailer that flashes by and under it say tonight on the WB. Click on the flashing picture.

AgentPat said:

I just clicked on the ad itself, the animated one of the front page (use IE if you're not) and it changed to a Media player window and opened the clip..I'm not sure why its not working, I just tried it again and it seems fine. ..well its only a few hours now anyway..:)

I'm not even seeing an ad on the front page of Yahoo.com, and that's in IE with all ad blockers turned off.

AgentPat said:

Aw, it's gone now...

It was right on the main page on the right hand side above the links to specific news stories...

I watched it several times last night...

I'll see if I can paraphrase what they said:

Clark: How long have you known?

Chloe: I've suspected for a long time, there have been too many quick exits and miraculous recoveries... But I didn't find out for sure until I watched you catch a car like it was a beach ball.

Clark: Why didn't you say anything?

Chloe: (this was longer, but I can't remember what else she said) I wanted you to tell me on your own terms.

(then there wa a bit in here about not telling anyone and loose lips sinking ships or something... and her having sunk her own flotilla...)

Clark: You're a good friend, Chloe.

Chloe: I could have been a better one.

(I'm fuzzy on this part...)

Clark: I wanted to tell you for so long...

Chloe: I won't tell anyone Clark. Your secret will never pass my lips. (pause) Does Lana know.

Clark: No.

Chloe: Don't worry, I won't be the iceburg to your Titanic... But I still got some blank spots. Like how did we get transported to the North Pole and what exactly happened in that 40 story igloo?

Which is where that other clip picked up, the clip stopped after clark told Chloe about being born in another galaxy....

I hope this is helpful...

I can't wait. 8 hours for me and counting.

:D

KikiDee said:
Did you click on the picture? If you're on yahoo.com there's the picture of the trailer that flashes by and under it say tonight on the WB. Click on the flashing picture.
I clicked on the picture, which brought me to the WB's homepage for SV. I was using Netscape though, which might explain the problemo. *shrugs*

I'm back at work now, so it'll have to wait till later. At that point though, I might as well just watch the episode instead. LOL

On a related note, it's great to see the preem get so much exposure. Putting it on Yahoo's main page is a pretty big deal.

triplet said:
Aw, it's gone now...

It was right on the main page on the right hand side above the links to specific news stories...

I watched it several times last night...

I'll see if I can paraphrase what they said:

Clark: How long have you known?

Chloe: I've suspected for a long time, there have been too many quick exits and miraculous recoveries... But I didn't find out for sure until I watched you catch a car like it was a beach ball.

Chloe: (this was longer, but I can't remember what else she said) I wanted you to tell me on your own terms.

Chloe: I won't tell anyone Clark. Your secret will never pass my lips. (pause) Does Lana know.

Chloe: So, I still got some blank spots. Like how did we get transported to the North Pole and what exactly happened in that 40 story igloo?

Which is where that other clip picked up, the clip stopped after clark told Chloe about being born in another galaxy....

:D

7 hrs and 43 mins for me. :p

triplet said:
...Clark: How long have you known?

Chloe: So, I still got some blank spots. Like how did we get transported to the North Pole and what exactly happened in that 40 story igloo?

COOL!!! THANKS!!!

That scene is gonna be interesting, though if Clark just lets the car-catching thing slide, he really IS an idiot. LOL

... but a lovable one. ;)

DITTO!!!

I just went to Yahoo, and the clip is still there, for those that wanna see it. Its pretty awesome is all I can say and they both are doing such a fantastic job of it. Who said 7 hours to go, boo hoo, I have to wait 9 hours 30 .

I'm going back to watch the clip again.

I'm looking at yahoo.com on two different computers and one has the ad and the other one doesn't... weird.

On the likes of Yahoo!, AOL, and other big sites, nothing's weird. It may be focused content ... different content for different systems and IP's. Of course their focusing isn't very accurate most of the time. *grumbles*

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"