Asgard

The only part I didn't like about Hulk vs. Thor's Asgard was the main hall thingy where Odin's mouth formed the door. Looked a bit too Gigeresque for Asgard to me.

I think my main problem picturing Asgard is that when I think of castles, I think "Camelot." I'm sure Asgard should look more "rough-hewn" than I imagine.

I think my main problem picturing Asgard is that when I think of castles, I think "Camelot." I'm sure Asgard should look more "rough-hewn" than I imagine.
That's the problem a lot of people have with Asgard, it seems. More often than not, it comes off looking medieval European, which is not the right look for it as far as I'm concerned. Vikings and Norsemen had their own unique architectural styles.

This is true but I think what we have hear in our world is an aproximation of what Asgard should be. Asgard shouldn't be primative. They are superior beings therefor their designs and architecture need to be almost alien, enter Kirby.

Yeah, but they should never look as high tech as some of Kirby's designs. I like a lot of Kirby's ideas, but I'd prefer a more realistic Viking interpretation that favors simplicity of form but inhumanly amazing craftsmanship. Like Mjolnir: it doesn't look like much on the surface, but it's deceptively powerful. Asgard should take that Viking visual style and blow it up to the nth degree.

That's fine but I see no reason why Asgardians would have such primitive looking structures, it isn't Midgard and they are Gods after all so their abodes should be fitting for Gods. The other thing is Asgardians aren't vikings they influenced them yes but they shouldn't be living in rustic looking palaces.

I wouldn't want anything to look rustic, I just want to preserve the Viking design sensibilities. Double the size of your typical Viking building and gild it in gold and it'll look like it's worthy of a god. Kirby's designs just look too space agey to me.

I agree Kirby went a little too far but I do want some things here and there to look alien or futuristic kind of like in Stargate. You see where the Egyptians got their influences when you entered the alien pyramid ship, it looked old but at the same time there futuristic things as well. I'm sure something like that can be done but with the norse influences.

That's the problem a lot of people have with Asgard, it seems. More often than not, it comes off looking medieval European, which is not the right look for it as far as I'm concerned. Vikings and Norsemen had their own unique architectural styles.

Yes but these were Gods so reallly their architecture should be beyond that of normal men.

I agree Kirby went a little too far but I do want some things here and there to look alien or futuristic kind of like in Stargate. You see where the Egyptians got their influences when you entered the alien pyramid ship, it looked old but at the same time there futuristic things as well. I'm sure something like that can be done but with the norse influences.
Hmm, that'd be cool. I wouldn't mind seeing some futuristic stuff mixed in with the Viking stuff. A juxtaposition of the two styles would work really well, now that you mention it.

Exactly, that's the way I see the Asgardians. They're really not human like you and I so they are capable of other worldly things. They're visitation preceded the uprise of the norse cultures and therefor influenced them in the creation of they're Gods, dress, and architecture. That was done really well in Stargate. It doesn't have to be all out futuristic but little things here and there. What we see on the big screen has to be something all together different than what we've seen so far.

I just don't really want to see too much electrical-looking stuff. Like I said with Mjolnir, things should be really powerful and advanced without losing all of the ancient design elements.

That would be cool. Or just make the dragestil be glowing images hovering just off of the walls of the buildings. :up:

Yes. We're building a nice Asgard here. Someone get Marvel on the line..

Haha, they're probably like 6 months away from actually determining what Asgard will look like at this point. But if it looked like what we're describing, it'd rock. I liked the suggestion a while back about an Aurora Borealis-style Bifrost, too.

So, floating island or spheric planetoid. I say enormous floating island as far as the eye can see maybe in the opening shot starting with darkness then the aurora bolealislike bifrost bridge following it until Asgard slowly zooming into view.

Valhalla.jpg

Does that rock formation signify what I think it is? :D

Asgard should have a lot of Stave buildings:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ec/Urnes_stave_church,_Dahl.jpg
Covered with Dragestil:
http://media.aftenposten.no/archive/00093/Oslo_Bymuseum_93551a.jpg
However to make Asgard unique have the Dragestil be loarge 3-d Figures jutting from the buildings. Have Gold horns crowning the staves of the buildings too.
Very nice.
So, floating island or spheric planetoid. I say enormous floating island as far as the eye can see maybe in the opening shot starting with darkness then the aurora bolealislike bifrost bridge following it until Asgard slowly zooming into view.
An opening shot of the asteroid and all that jazz would be magnificent.

I like seeing Asgard as a floating landmass. "How does it stay afloat and how does it have daytime and nighttime, etc.?" MAGIC! That's part of the fun of Asgard from the comics. I don't know how the f*** half of the physics of that thing are supposed to work, but they work 'cause Odin tells them to, basically.

If they show a shot of the asteroid & have the rainbow bridge appear misty flowing into space like these pics, it would could be magical, and would remove the girly effect. The rainbow would be more heavenly.

^^Agreed. It looks more awe inspiring to great effect.

I like seeing Asgard as a floating landmass. "How does it stay afloat and how does it have daytime and nighttime, etc.?" MAGIC! That's part of the fun of Asgard from the comics. I don't know how the f*** half of the physics of that thing are supposed to work, but they work 'cause Odin tells them to, basically.
I could be wrong, but I believe Asgard doesn't have a night time. It doesn't rotate. It has no axis. But I could be wrong & who knows how they'll do it in the movie. But the day/night question is interesting.

"It's nighttime, how can this be" - Jolly Volly
"This is from Odin!" - Thor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"