At what age did you begin to analyze movies?

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by Superhobo, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Superhobo Registered

What age did you start looking deeper into movies at? When did you start analyzing themes, and subtexts? I started when I was around twelve, or thirteen, I guess. I forget which movie it was; probably something indie my brother had downloaded.

You?

2. Darthkush Avenger

It's kind of hard to say for me. I know it was sometime during my adolescense(i'm 25 now). I want to say sometime around the release of phantom menace, the matrix, and the x-men because that's around the time i started having discussions with other nerds online about well...EVERYTHING(movies, comics, tv shows, etc.). So if episode I and Matrix came out in 99', my answer would be 16 years old I suppose.

3. Cinemaman Registered

4. Grievous General of the Droid Army

I say about 12

5. Infinity9999x Registered

I'd have to say around the 12-14ish stage for me. That's when I really began to analyze movies. I got to a point where I almost analyzed some movies to the point that I didn't enjoy them anymore, and now I've toned back on that a little.

I think the first movie I really got into was SM2. It was the first movie that I really liked, and really hated at the same time. Because that movie got so many things right about Spidey, but then so many things very wrong, it just really split me down the middle. That was the first movie I really sat down and analyzed.

6. Superhobo Registered

Same here, for a couple a movies. Coppola's "Dracula" being one of them.

The worst thing about the film, for me, was the whole 'neuro-transmitter' subplot thing, with Ock's tentacles. Molina plays the character great, but that was a sour note for me the entire film.

7. Kevin Roegele Do you mind if I don't?

8. DieSmiling Can't Be Stopped

Probably around 13-14.

9. cerealkiller182 Must Get Deadpool Avatar

10-12 I started analyzing technical kind of stuff. What works, what doesnt,how things should be, offering constructive criticism.

When i was 15-16, I started getting in-depth in story, meaning,and symbolism.

10. Sebastos le professionnel

It was the age of 14 for me.

11. Jolie_Desastre Registered

it was really 15 or 16 when i really started to pick them apart. i don't enjoy most films that gals my age enjoy.

12. SuperFerret King of the Urban Jungle

I don't. I can, and have been able to for a while, but I don't. It's similar to the reason I hated english class in high school (while likely being one of the few students who enjoyed reading). I find analysis to be disrespectful of the story itself, as it just leads to picking it apart and not enjoying it as intended.

13. cerealkiller182 Must Get Deadpool Avatar

Many books and movies are made in order to symbolize something and be meaningful

14. Superhobo Registered

A lot of books- wait, this feels familiar.

Yeah. :up:

15. SuperFerret King of the Urban Jungle

So? If that's what the author intended, then fine, but not everything has or needs a hidden meaning or theme that you need to dig to get to. If an writer has something definite to say then let them say it, it doesn't have to be blunt, but the average reader/veiwer should be able to get it while reading/watching the story.

16. cerealkiller182 Must Get Deadpool Avatar

Well then why do so many creators say its up to the audience. I personally see no disrespect. One part of making art is to allow interpretation. most of the time when a creator leaves it to interpretation and when he has something definite to say is usually clear.

Half of the art with meaning do not define what to think, but question the way you think about it and why discussion and interpretation is so prevalent.

17. Superhobo Registered

Terry Gilliam said something about this kinda thing, on the commentary for "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas":

"After we'd previewed the film, the studio kept getting us to try and contextualize the piece, explain who these people were. And I was so resistant to that, because that's all we do now, is explain things, whether it's an artist and his piece of art, he has to get of there and explain what it means, or a filmmaker who has to get up there and explain what it means. It's all about reaching the largest audience possible, for the widest range. And I thought, 'no, that's what everyone else is doing.' So, in a sense it's a very arrogant film because it just says 'here it is. If you don't get it, that's your problem.' "

:up:

18. cabel Registered

around middle school, I also had the benefit of a father would let me watch movies such as The Deer Hunter and Bonnie and Clyde at an age where I had no business watching

19. Argyle of Sock Registered

Probably 9 to 11 was when I first started thinking about it, but after taking a literature class when I was 16 and a rhetoric class when I was 17 I got much better at picking things like that out.

20. Catman Registered

Ha!

21. Hush Wee Little Puppet Man

About 13 I saw Fight Club as i believe many of us had, and it changed my world.

22. Spider-Vader Mercin' & Workin'

23. Catman Registered

It was Point Break for me.

[​IMG]

24. Jerry! Registered

I was around 10 or 11. I thought I had seen some bad films, then I saw a show called Mystery Science Theater 3000. Then I saw some BAD films.

25. Hush Wee Little Puppet Man

Love the tag line "Pure Adreniline Edition" lol. Perfect for a Keanue movie.