The Avengers Avengers Score : Singular, Or Multiple Composer?

VenomVsSpidey

Superhero
Reaction score
Okay, so marvel has gone out saying they want the musical scores and themes to be tied in-continuity within each other. Good Idea, right? Well, how about the fact that each marvel film / hero would have a different theme? (Iron Man - Debney, Thor - Doyle, Hulk - Armstrong, etc.) So, how could all these themes be carried into the avengers? Will a single composer decide to use all of these character themes, or will multiple composers score the flick? (ala kick-ass)

I thought it worked for Kick-Ass, bit I'm not too keen on the idea in general.

The more hands with the score the better, so far the scores in the films to date have been totally forgettable.

Multiple but there needs to be a lead/deciding composer.

You better duck.

Christophe Beck and/or John Powell maybe?

The more hands with the score the better, so far the scores in the films to date have been totally forgettable.
save for Ramin Djawadis score for Iron Man 1. You cannot argue that Drivng with the top down is NOT awesome!

Singular. Different themes for different characters.

save for Ramin Djawadis score for Iron Man 1. You cannot argue that Drivng with the top down is NOT awesome!

I could.

Debney's Iron Man theme found in Mayhem In Monaco and I Am Iron Man is way better and I'm sure will be used as his theme from now on.

I did think Craig Armstrong did a great job on TIH too though.

I could.

Debney's Iron Man theme found in Mayhem In Monaco and I Am Iron Man is way better and I'm sure will be used as his theme from now on.

I did think Craig Armstrong did a great job on TIH too though.

I found Ramin Djawadi's score to be the more memorable of the two. It underscored and anticiapted the whole build up to him suiting up in armor each time or building each new suit of armor. Driving with the top down was also awesome.

To each their own, but I thought Armstrong's TIH score was awesome. I listen to it all the time.

In regards to the thread, I would favor a single composer for the same reason as having a single director. Too many may lead to a total mess. However, I would like to hear the distinct themes for each character woven together in seamless transitions. But an overall "Avengers" theme needs to be created.

I think they should get all of the composers to return to collaborate on the Avengers score...and then at the last minute, Kevin Feige should release a scathing press release about how bad Craig Armstrong's Hulk score was and then have Mark Ruffalo choose some random guy to join the Avengers musical team.

Have a main Avengers Theme that integrates motifs of each characters' individual themes.

:up:

So, how could all these themes be carried into the avengers? Will a single composer decide to use all of these character themes, or will multiple composers score the flick? (ala kick-ass)

Considering Whedon, it'll most definitely be a single composer. And since Marvel Studios owns the rights to the music, they can have the composer integrate the themes without asking the original composers for permission.

If he were still alive, I wouldn't mind a score by Elmer Bernstein. After all, the Avengers seems to be the superhero equivalent of The Magnificent Seven.

Considering Whedon, it'll most definitely be a single composer. And since Marvel Studios owns the rights to the music, they can have the composer integrate the themes without asking the original composers for permission.

True. Maybe he'll bring Newman along. His music is awesome, and he's worked with whedon before (serenity).

You better duck.

Please don't start with the Elfman bashing.

I don't know who should score this. Let alone who's scoring Cap.and Thor. So I'll wait to see who's scoring those two before I give my choice or opinion of who should score The Avengers.

They probably might be cheap on a composer and get someone they can force to follow temp tracks and not come up with anything new and original ,but generic and boring instead.

Which this genre desperately needs to work on. Having better scores. I mean.

Patrick Doyle is Scoring thor, FYI
Source please.

Let me guess you assume that b/c Doyle is Branagh's usual collaborator.
I'm sorry I want confirmation. Which superherohype or any other comic book movie related website hasn't confirmed yet.

I really don't like the idea of multiple composers. A singlular composer who is versatile enough to encapsulate all of the themes while giving the film its own unique sound and carrying the story emotionally is what they need to look for. Newman would be an outstanding choice. He's versatile without being bland. He's also usually doing really bad comedies when he does get work, so I'm sure his schedule would be free.

I'd like the idea of many composers, but sometimes the score gets botched and screwed in the film (see Spider-Man 3 before all those tracked cues).

Source please.

Let me guess you assume that b/c Doyle is Branagh's usual collaborator.
I'm sorry I want confirmation. Which superherohype or any other comic book movie related website hasn't confirmed yet.

A source isn't needed. Do we need a source to know Elfman will score Burton's next film or that Williams will score Speilberg's? Not only do they work together, but Doyle is one of Branagh's best friends. He will be scoring Thor.

A source isn't needed. Do we need a source to know Elfman will score Burton's next film or that Williams will score Speilberg's? Not only do they work together, but Doyle is one of Branagh's best friends. He will be scoring Thor.

That's what people thought when Nolan was working on BB. Fans thought David Julyan was a shoe-in for it. Nolan decided to go with Zimmer. While Zimmer decided Newton Howard would be helpful to him as well. Look at how that turned out.

Singer usually works with Ottman on his projects but when he was working on the first X-men. Ottman wasn't availiable b/c he was busy directing Urban Legends: Final Cut. So Singer and co. went with Michael Kamen instead.

The same goes for Jon Favreau . Debney is a frequent collaborator of his, but Favreau went with Ramin Djawadi instead for the first Iron Man.

Notice that this is their (Nolan, Singer, and Favreau) first attempt at a summer popcorn movie. That's based on a comic book no less. The same could happen with Branagh. I'm not assuming just being skeptical.

I'll give another (different) example. Del Toro usually works with Beltrami on his American films but for some reason for Hellboy II he went with Elfman instead. Eventhough Beltrami already established the Hellboy universe Del Toro wanted for the first film. Yet he wanted the score to go in another direction for the sequel. The second film continues where the first left off so why change composers. I'm not complaining b/c I respect both composers and enjoy both their work. With that said there's a continuity gap with the music that's already been established. I think it would've been interesting to see where Beltrami would've taken it with the sequel. Like I said I still enjoyed Elfman's dense, dark, magical and epic score for Hellboy II.

Another thing. I'm always skeptical about composers signing on to some projects especially of this genre. Look at how Hulk (2003) replaced Danna for Elfman with less than two or three months (I think) before it's release. Elfman only had a month to compose the music for it. James Newton Howard replaced Howard Shore for King Kong (2005). Newton Howard had three weeks to compose the music I believe. Elfman's score almost didn't make the final cut for The Wolfman (2010) and got close to being replaced by Paul Haslinger of all people. Elfman was replaced (a few months ago) by Newton Howard for The Green Hornet b/c of scheduling conflicts. I can go on and on. The point I'm trying make is that stuff happens and composers don't always stay on board either out of creative differences, falling outs, scheduling conflicts, studio interference, or even the director wanting to try new things with the music e.g. working with a different composer.

Anyways I always take info about composers being hired for a film with a grain of salt. Until I see the movie myself or see the album of that movie with the composers name on it.

Btw, I wasn't trying to start an argument with you. I know you're a nice guy. I was just backing up why I'm skeptical about who's scoring the Thor movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"