The Avengers Avengers Score : Singular, Or Multiple Composer?

All those guys were busy, Doyle's been doing nothing for a while now. I can see your point, but at the same time, it's pretty much confirmed. Yeah he might be replaced at the last minute like you said, not that Branagh would ever let that happen, but that Captain America poster (which was confirmed to be fake) was also confirmed to have some of Thor's official crew on it. Doyle was listed as composer and that guy who did the art direction for Batman Returns.

Yeah. I have no problem with Doyle scoring Thor. It's just that I'm skeptical especially with Marvel's track record for scores in the past two years.

I'm worried about what they might do to the score. Doyle always gives a good strong central theme, and I got the impression from Debney that he was discouraged from using a lot of thematic material.

Most recent comic book movies have lacked really big epic themes and scores and that's a little sad IMHO.

I really liked what they did with the music in the Dark Knight and the Joker's one note theme. The music picked up really well in Dark Knight and built off the first movie.

However nothing has been as good or as memorable as the John Williams Superman theme or the Danny Elfman Batman theme.

Ottman put some great music together for X2 that was promptly tossed in the trash with the third movie as they had yet another new composer. It makes me sick.

I wish Michael Giacchino did Avengers and gave it a Star Wars type of score because that is what it needs and deserves.

Ottman put some great music together for X2 that was promptly tossed in the trash with the third movie as they had yet another new composer. It makes me sick.

Well, Ratner encouraged Powell to do his own thing. But in a 2006 interview, Powell said he wrote new music that "was in the same family as Michael Kamen and John Ottman" (and there are some Kamen and Ottman stylistic pieces in X3's score). Plus, Ottman was unavailable to do X3 because he was both editing and scoring SR at the time.

But I loved Powell's score for X3. Still do. Some of the action stuff blows away Ottman's work on X2, and the Phoenix theme is beautiful stuff.

Sorry, I just didn't care for it. I think Powell is a good composer, but it felt like a servicing job and not a true score to me. I don't like that in all of the movies there is no unifying theme.

In The Dark Knight they bring back certain pieces in the score of the first movie along with the new stuff.

The film doesn't need multiple composers. Composers tend to do something silly like make sheet music. They hire one composer who samples the themes of each respective film to make the music for the avengers. The last thing a composer needs his a bunch of them in one room.

Most recent comic book movies have lacked really big epic themes and scores and that's a little sad IMHO.

I really liked what they did with the music in the Dark Knight and the Joker's one note theme. The music picked up really well in Dark Knight and built off the first movie.

However nothing has been as good or as memorable as the John Williams Superman theme or the Danny Elfman Batman theme.

I wish Michael Giacchino did Avengers and gave it a Star Wars type of score because that is what it needs and deserves.

LOL. You complain about the way film scores have been like in this genre b/c of a lack of really big epic themes, but praise the lame one note Joker motif, which is anything but "epic". Elfman's Doc Ock theme, Powell's Dark Phoenix theme, and even Ottman's Luthor theme for SR were memorable and more epic than that poor-excuse-of-a-Joker-theme-that-Zimmer -came-up-with-in-10 seconds.

That's sad that the Joker and Heath's tour- de-force performance for the same character got such a pathetic theme, imo. They both deserved better. The rest of the TDK score is leftovers of BB, which is leftovers of the MV/RC sound design junkload factory. That they use in every action movie they scored in the past 15 years. Having a Batman score sounding like anything from a Jerry Bruckheimer/Michael Bay movie score isn't something that's distinct and appropriate for Batman. It's something that you hear in 90% of all action movies.

What I'm trying to say is Zimmer's Batman score is interchangeable with any action movie scored by him and his cronies. Batman deserves his own sound. If he wanted to do something new since it was a new take don't use your typical and generic MV/RC sound scape that been used to death. Zimmer should've changed his sound to fit Batman and not change to Batman fit his generic style. Which is what I feared about Zimmer scoring the Superman reboot.

Also I think some people hate on Powell's X3 score b/c of the movie it's associated with. Which isn't fair. That's amazing that Powell was able to came up with something like that for a movie that craptacular. Definitely the best thing about that movie, imo.

I agree about Giachinno. I want him to score a movie in this genre. And take it in another direction. This genre definitely and desperately needs it ,imo.

LOL. You complain about the way film scores have been like in this genre b/c of a lack of really big epic themes, but praise the lame one note Joker motif, which is anything but "epic". Elfman's Doc Ock theme, Powell's Dark Phoenix theme, and even Ottman's Luthor theme for SR were memorable and more epic than that poor-excuse-of-a-Joker-theme-that-Zimmer -came-up-with-in-10 seconds.

That's sad that the Joker and Heath's tour- de-force performance for the same character got such a pathetic theme, imo. They both deserved better. The rest of the TDK score is leftovers of BB, which is leftovers of the MV/RC sound design junkload factory. That they use in every action movie they scored in the past 15 years. Having a Batman score sounding like anything from a Jerry Bruckheimer/Michael Bay movie score isn't something that's distinct and appropriate for Batman. It's something that you hear in 90% of all action movies.

What I'm trying to say is Zimmer's Batman score is interchangeable with any action movie scored by him and his cronies. Batman deserves his own sound. If he wanted to do something new since it was a new take don't use your typical and generic MV/RC sound scape that been used to death. Zimmer should've changed his sound to fit Batman and not change to Batman fit his generic style. Which is what I feared about Zimmer scoring the Superman reboot.

Also I think some people hate on Powell's X3 score b/c of the movie it's associated with. Which isn't fair. That's amazing that Powell was able to came up with something like that for a movie that craptacular. Definitely the best thing about that movie, imo.

I agree about Giachinno. I want him to score a movie in this genre. And take it in another direction. This genre definitely and desperately needs it ,imo.

The Joker theme is one of my very favorite parts of the score for TDK. It sets a specific tone perfectly, it makes you nervous. It immediately reminds me of the joker and hints at his presence in a very unnerving way. The joker's theme shouldn't have been a melody or something obviously clowny or circus-y. That would be way too obvious.

The theme of each individual Avenger should be used but incorporated into a much bigger piece; An Avengers Theme.

The Joker theme is one of my very favorite parts of the score for TDK. It sets a specific tone perfectly, it makes you nervous. It immediately reminds me of the joker and hints at his presence in a very unnerving way. The joker's theme shouldn't have been a melody or something obviously clowny or circus-y. That would be way too obvious.

I'm not saying it should be circus-y or clowny. Especially if this Joker puts makeup on that's refered to as war paint instead of clown make up in the film.

I'm sorry I don't think Joker at all when I hear it. I think lazy, unoriginal, cheap, generic, and annoyingly loud for a character like the Joker. All the motif does (other than makes a lot of noise) is sets a tone for the scene and character. Nothing else. There's nothing much going for the theme b/c of how simple it is.

One note is really the best Zimmer could come up with for the Joker ? Really ? What a wasted oppotunity. Can't wait for how Zimmer is going to botch the "theme" for the next villain. Sheesh.

I'm not saying it should be circus-y or clowny. Especially if this Joker puts makeup on that's refered to as war paint instead of clown make up in the film.

I'm sorry I don't think Joker at all when I hear it. I think lazy, unoriginal, cheap, generic, and annoyingly loud for a character like the Joker. All the motif does (other than makes a lot of noise) is sets a tone for the scene and character. Nothing else. There's nothing much going for the theme b/c of how simple it is.

One note is really the best Zimmer could come up with for the Joker ? Really ? What a wasted oppotunity. Can't wait for how Zimmer is going to botch the "theme" for the next villain. Sheesh.
Hans Zimmer's music is actually memorable. The scores for IM, IM2, and TIH have been boring. I can't hear a single piece of music from those movies in my head.

Hopefully they fix that problem with Thor, Cap, and the Avengers.

Hans Zimmer's music is actually memorable. The scores for IM, IM2, and TIH have been boring. I can't hear a single piece of music from those movies in my head.

Hopefully they fix that problem with Thor, Cap, and the Avengers.

Thanks for the heads up on that about Zimmer. I don't have a clue if you are talking about his Batman scores or Hans Zimmer's music in general. I have nothing against Zimmer, but his Batman scores and most of his blockbuster scores. They are too generic and are interchangeable to eachother, imo.

Anyways I agree about IM1 and 2 and TIH being generic and nothing special but your basic run of the mill action music that we get a lot of these days. Shame.

We'll get a great one from Doyle, who has officially been confirmed.
Rumor is that John Powell is scoring Cap, if that's true that would get another great one.

I hate to come off as a broken record, but.... Michael Giacchino. :o:up:

Duo's have worked before. I like the melding of James Newton Howard's melancholic sound with Hans Zimmer's coiling menace in Batman flicks. But I think that's the exception and not the rule. Having a whole bunch of guys together seems like asking for trouble to me. You're just begging for a lack of cohesion. It's also unrealistic in terms of budget. You're talking about a huge chunk of change to assemble 4 or 5 A-list composers. I say get one talented guy whose got the chops to weave previous themes and motifs in with a brand new vision.

Duo's have worked before. I like the melding of James Newton Howard's melancholic sound with Hans Zimmer's coiling menace in Batman flicks. But I think that's the exception and not the rule. Having a whole bunch of guys together seems like asking for trouble to me. You're just begging for a lack of cohesion. It's also unrealistic in terms of budget. You're talking about a huge chunk of change to assemble 4 or 5 A-list composers. I say get one talented guy whose got the chops to weave previous themes and motifs in with a brand new vision.

I agree with your last sentence. But disagree about Zimmer and Howard. Their sound didn't meld too well together, imo. Plus Howard tried to sound more like Zimmer than himself a few times. Both Batman scores they composed were more like generic sound design that plays on movie trailers from Michael Bay/Jerry Bruckheimer/Action films, imo.

I agree with that. I LOVE James Newton Howard, but he was trying to be Zimmer throughout BB and TDK. Which is a shame because he's so much better than Zimmer.

I LOVED Howard's Two-Face stuff in TDK. :(

Anyone think the main IM2 theme would have made a great Avengers theme? Everytime I hear nit I think about the Avengers for some reason, I thought it was very badly used in Iron Man 2 I could hardly hear it in the scenes it appeared, or maybe it is just my sound system :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK81B9G8y1M

Personally I'd like musical cues for each respective Hero when they have their "moments" and a singular theme for when they Kick A** together :)

If they let Michael Giacchino do a big epic superhero theme like Incredibles, yes please.

Single, my choices would be
Danny Elfman
James Horner
James newton Howard
Howard Shore
Alexandre Desplat
[FONT=verdana,arial][/FONT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads