The Avengers Avengers Score : Singular, Or Multiple Composer?

Once again Michael Giacchino. Listen to The Incredibles theme and let him go crazy.

In the words of Robert Zemeckis to Alan Silvestri during the production of Back To The Future, "BIG! BIG!"

Single, my choices would be
Danny Elfman
James Horner
James newton Howard
Howard Shore
Alexandre Desplat
[FONT=verdana,arial][/FONT]

I would love to see Desplat score a superhero film. Especially one like The Avengers.

I still love the idea of the other four teaming up but it would never happen.

I'd love to see David Arnold give it a shot.

David Newman: Undeniably talented, rarely gets decent work. His Serenity score was excellent. Let him take a crack at this.

Single, my choices would be
Danny Elfman
James Horner
James newton Howard
Howard Shore
Alexandre Desplat

Wow! No Zimmer. For once. Yeah I hope he and his cronies won't get a chance to score a second of this. Only problem TPTB would get somebody they can easily micromanage to copy their typical sound. I just hope Whedon and co. go for a more traditional score. That's why it would be sweet if Giacchino and the names you listed above would get this gig. Most likely they won't b/c Marvel Studios likes hiring smaller composers. With the exception of Silvestri for Cap. But he hasn't wrote a score that I was really impressed with since Van Helsing.

Some have mentioned David Newman which would be nice as long as he can write a score that takes advantage of his talents. And doesn't limit him to copy the MV/RC sound. Like some composers have suffered scoring these films.

Of those recently mentioned, I'd be happy with:

James Newton Howard (always, that guy suits any tone, any genre)
Michael Giacchino
David Newman
Alexandre Desplat (I'm iffy on him in general, but the thought of him doing a superhero score is...intriguing)

And I'd add...

-John Powell
-Marco Beltrami
-Clint Mansell (ever since I learned he did the score to Sahara, which had a totally sound than people associate with him, I've wanted to see him score a proper blockbuster)
-And for a "cheaper, smaller composer" suggestion - maybe Henry Jackman. I think he's shown a lot of potential with X-Men: First Class and his contributions on Kick-Ass. Kinda reminds me of John Powell's early days.

Alexandre Desplat (I'm iffy on him in general, but the thought of him doing a superhero score is...intriguing)

If you heard his score for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1, Desplat can easily adapt to a wide range of genres (and not be typecast for romance and drama films). His action music for HP was truly impressive. And the way Desplat would use the electric guitar to represent Iron Man/Tony Stark would be more interesting than what Djawadi or Debney did for the IM films.

But Whedon has a good eye for composers. Whoever he'll pick will do a fine job. I would be ecstatic if someone like Desplat signed on to do The Avengers.

Howard Shore or Michael Giacchino for me.

I haven't heard anything from Howard Shore other than The Lord of the Rings (which is my favorite score of all time) so I really wonder what else he can do. I might have to sit through Eclipse just to get more of a feel of what he can do.

Michael Giacchino always has a unique recognizable score, not usually epic the way The Avengers needs to be, but he could probably do it if he wanted.

I hope they keep some of the themes from the solo movies. If Thor's return isn't a variation on 'Can you see Jane?' I will be very disappointed

I think there will be variations on the characters themes from their own movies.

my choices:
Thomas Newman
Ennio Morricone
and Daft Punk. their score for Tron should have gotten an Oscar nom.

Last edited:
Alexandre Desplat would be a likely choice, he's been getting a lot of work lately. He's got range and talent to spare, but aside from Fantastic Mr. Fox (odd choice, I know) none of his stuff has blown me away.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up for David Newman. Whedon hasn't brought any of his original crew members from Serenity, Newman probably won't be the exception. He's not somebody the studios would hire for a big tentpole movie anyway :csad:

Will Michael Giacchino finally get into a Marvel film? Stay tuned and find out! :D

I think that would be awesome. After what he did with Star Trek, Incredibles, and even his one sort of Godzilla tribute piece for Cloverfield, I've wanted him to do this movie. I think he can give it justice and give it the big theme it deserves.

The themes of the previous Marvel movies, I'm sorry but they just haven't been big enough. We need something huge and bug that we can hum and remember forever. We need the Star Wars or Indiana Jones of superhero movie scores here.

Remember Lord of the Rings? Howard Shore delivered there for us. I think Giacchino could do the same.

I can't really get on board with Giacchino bar his Lost (which I completely adore) and Pixar work.

I dont see how anyone could have a big problem with any of Giacchino's previous stuff. His work on Star Trek was incredible, his Pixar work has been first class and on LOST, he raised the bar for television score. What's not to love?

And why is that?

I just don't. I have all seven of the Lost CD releases and play them pretty often. Star Trek has got about three listens, about two of which were me trying to force myself to like it, and now it's gathering dust on the shelf. Didn't think much of Let Me In either, and Mission Impossible 3 is my least favourite score of the three.

I do really dig 'Roar' though, I forgot to mention that.

I think i agree with most that the scores for Marvel movies have thusfar been somewhat lackluster. I like big themes and memorable melodies as much as the next guy. I did like what Armstrong did for TIH however, very Bourne like in places, and he did try hard to work in some thematic material for the Hulk even if it wasnt something you might whistle to yourself. Though ive never really liked/recalled anything Doyle has done before i did like what he did for Thor and he came up with a very nice Thor/Asgard theme IMO. So I guess its really the Iron Man movies that I am dissapointe with. I suspect that might have a lot to do with Favreau's keenness for the rock guitar sound - I would have thought something more electronic would have been a more natural association for a tech based character like Stark.

Anyway it seems a budget conscious studio like Marvel are more likely to go with a cheaper, smaller name composer for an aspect of the film that they probably see as largely interchangable like the score. I hope this changes for The Avengers however (the decision to go with ILM as the main effects house might indicate a more "top shelf" approach) or at least that a lesser known guy can come in and knock it out of the park.

I can see there is a fair bit of antipathy towards Zimmer and his crew (not uncommonly amongst score afficiandos) but im a fan and i think the Joker's theme from TDK was perfect. It may be "one note" but the sound design was awesome and totally suited such an anarchic depiction of the character. I would love to see him given the gig.

Giacchino would also be great. Elfman is fine but i think that would be a somewhat boring choice. I really like Jackman's score for First Class especially from someone id never heard of before. Powell's X3 score was great and in some parts was phenomenal (Dark Phoenix's Tragedy) and I think he would be potentially epic. Im sure we will end up with someone nobody saw coming however :yay:

http://www.cinezik.org/critiques/affcritique.php?titre=harry_potter_reliques_mort2

I think after listening to the samples for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part two the work of Alexandre Desplat is amazing, there is so much range so I think he could pull of the Avengers very well. Because the story should have a mixture of action, drama and maybe a sense of hopelesness in one part of the movie and Desplat can do that range very good Go and check it out ! :yay:

Last edited:
I can see there is a fair bit of antipathy towards Zimmer and his crew (not uncommonly amongst score afficiandos) but im a fan and i think the Joker's theme from TDK was perfect. It may be "one note" but the sound design was awesome and totally suited such an anarchic depiction of the character. I would love to see him given the gig.

No. For those reasons you listed above, Zimmer would be an awful choice. I'm really tired of these superhero scores nowadays (X-Men:FC, GL) that just have a couple of chords strung together and dubbed a "theme." For a big event team-up film, it needs a lot more than what Zimmer provided. I'm in the same age bracket you guys are in, but I was raised loving all these wonderful, harmonic scores. Superhero films benefit from these.

The only RC/MV composer I would be comfortable with doing The Avengers is John Powell. And he's done superhero territory two times, and I liked what he did. But Zimmer, nuh-uh. The man can write entertaining music (the POTC films being several), but he's not great at superheroes.

I think out of all the choices I've heard, David Newman sounds the best.

Anyone from Media Ventures (except for Djawadi) is a no-no, since DC basically has the monopoly on them.

I don't want Giacchino because all of his stuff sounds like LOST.

Howard Shore is busy doing The Hobbit.

As for the others, I just don't see it happening. Powell would be good, as would Mansell or Desplat. But with Marvel's track record, I just don't see it happening.

I just don't want Debney. His Iron Man score was adequate, but Djawadi's was so much better. Another reason why I hated IM2.

I think out of all the choices I've heard, David Newman sounds the best.

Anyone from Media Ventures (except for Djawadi) is a no-no, since DC basically has the monopoly on them.

I don't want Giacchino because all of his stuff sounds like LOST.

Howard Shore is busy doing The Hobbit.

As for the others, I just don't see it happening. Powell would be good, as would Mansell or Desplat. But with Marvel's track record, I just don't see it happening.

I just don't want Debney. His Iron Man score was adequate, but Djawadi's was so much better. Another reason why I hated IM2.

Then you clearly haven't listened to his stuff for The Incredibles, Up, Ratatouille, Speed Racer, Star Trek... basically all of his work besides LOST. :o

I couldn't stand Star Trek. The somber-ish music that played when the Kelvin was destroyed was EXACTLY LIKE LOST. As was a good portion of Let Me In (when it wasn't being bland).

Like John Williams, Giacchino is good at themes, but that's about it. His incidental cues all sound like gibberish and are interchangeable.

I can't comment on his Pixar work because I don't care for the movies (although I did like The Incredibles, but I haven't seen it in awhile).

Okay, yes, Labor of Love did sound like LOST. But, really... so what?

LOST sounded great all around.

Let's get down to brass tacks here: The Avengers would be damn lucky to have him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"