Avengers the Initiative

Willowhugger

Civilian
Reaction score
So, who picked up the first of this ongoing?

It's interesting to see that Camp Hammond has a very "X-men" type feel going on with the camp going out of its way to find young people with superpowers and train them in the danger room.

However, they don't have Professor X and Peter Gyrich instead (with suitably horrific results)

There's a couple other Dan Slott threads talking about this title, but since this one is the most recent and has the most concise thread title, I'm going to post here.

As some might guess, my interest in this title focuses on the new character Komodo, who is described as "A student of Curt Connors who stole some of his Lizard formula and thinks she's perfected it."

So far Komodo just seems to be a rebelious girl with Lizard-Lite powers, but the cover for A:tI # 3 shows that we'll be exploring that Lizard-connection more soon with help from Spidey...
AVNINIT003_cov_col.jpg

So far I like the writing in issue #1. The idea of American super heroes being assigned to each of the 50 states makes a lot of sense, and I want to see where this concept goes. The humorous observation by teen girl "Cloud 9" that she feels intimidated because she's got a normal girl's body unlike some of her typical comicbook supermodel teammates was cute and well-scripted. We haven't got a good look at her out of her baggy clothes yet, so I'm curious to see if artist Stefano Caselli actually has the ability to draw an average girl's body or if "average" in this sense will mean that she still looks like Hayden Panettiere.

The depowering and expulsion of one recruit because of the (apparent) accidental death of another during training hopefully shows that we can't get too comfortable with any of the characters here. I hope these kind of plot twists will keep coming.

The first issue was pretty good. I'm not really interested in any of the newbies except for Cloud 9 and Thor Girl right now, though. I really, really hope we get to see more of Thor Girl (I also hope they switch back to her real name, Tarene, since "Thor Girl" is and always has been the one lame part of the otherwise decent character). Good to see Slapstick again. Komodo has the Lizard's powers and is angry, rebellious teenager #92,391 in the Marvel universe. Trauma's an over-the-top emo goth kid cut from the mold of every over-the-top emo goth kid ever. Not a lot of interest there. MVP looked like he might've been more interesting than his perfect all-star athlete thing suggested, given his seeming attraction to the (apparently) plain Cloud 9, but I guess we won't be seeing any more from him. I'm also curious to see how Caselli portrays the plain-Jane-ness of Cloud 9 since, outside of being a little shorter, wearing baggy clothes, and having goofier expressions, I didn't really see much difference between her and her goddess-shaped peers.

I liked Rage's comments whenever something about the New Warriors came up. I'm curious about why Justice hasn't spoken up for Rage, though. The guy's served on the Avengers, same as Justice himself. He really shouldn't be reduced to just another face in the crowd of supernewbs. Same with Stingray.

The Gauntlet is a dick and I find myself hoping something bad happens to him. Not likely, given that he's Slott's own character and was said to be central to the series in interviews, but I can dream. Oh, Hank Pym is being an uber-dick here, as well. I'm really starting to wish that Hank would be declared off limits to everyone but Dwayne McDuffie. He is, after all, the only writer who had the sense to take him out of that horrible Yellowjacket costume that represents so much pain and suffering in his life.

So, overall, the first issue doesn't really do much to redeem the Initiative concept. The idea of the government essentially mobilizing all the registered superhumans as its own personal superhero army was at the very root of the Secret Avengers' dissent, and lo and behold, now that the Secret Avengers have laid down their arms, here it is, becoming reality. The incident at the end of the issue really just drives home the point that there's no difference between these government-'regulated' superheroes and the New Warriors except better PR and the resources to cover their messes up.

Corp is such a conspiracy theorist.

i'm curious, corp...when and where did mcduffie write hank pymso well? i'd like to read that...

I liked the first issue for some of the writing, but I didn't really like the grimmy vibe, if that makes sense. Loved Gauntlet and it's always good to see Justice. Not so sure about the other new characters though.

And Corp, please don't tell me you liked Hank Pym in Beyond! I'm sorry, but the only person who actually knows how to write Hank Pym these days is Kurt Busiek (and a case can be made for Joe Casey).

Loved this issue a ton. I was unsure about how Slott would handle a serious book but I'm in love. He even killed off the character I didn't care about. How **** is that? :D

MVP is dead......???? His connection to Abraham Erskine was very interesting. Too bad they did that.

This whole thing is just wrong on so many levels. They took the girl's arm off and they have a Nazi scientist in the fold???

I liked it as well. I hope the revelation is that MVP wasn't lying and there really ISN'T anything up with him regarding a super soldier serum or otherwise. In other words, a perfectly normal kid got himself wasted at the camp within the first day of operation.

I also like Cloud Nine and hope she's portrayed as a little Stranger in Paradisey, i.e. slightly overweight but still cute.

Gyrich's gloating that they won the war against mutants was also perfectly in character (and vile). It's probably like him in a candy store to have him be in charge of his very own superhero army. But as always, Gyrich demonstrates he can't be in charge of tying his own shoelaces without it going disastrously wrong.

And the girl still had her arm, they just removed her nifty gauntlet. Was she supposed to Southpaw from She-Hulk?

MVP is dead......???? His connection to Abraham Erskine was very interesting. Too bad they did that.

This whole thing is just wrong on so many levels. They took the girl's arm off and they have a Nazi scientist in the fold???

Armory didn't really have time to grow on me, but I like the fact that Pym has her arm lol. MVP seemed to be a white Patriot. I won't miss him.

Trauma and Cloud 9 are easily my favorites of the bunch.

i'm curious, corp...when and where did mcduffie write hank pymso well? i'd like to read that...
Beyond. It wasn't so much that Hank was particularly great there; he was just a thousand times better there than he has been anywhere else lately.
And Corp, please don't tell me you liked Hank Pym in Beyond! I'm sorry, but the only person who actually knows how to write Hank Pym these days is Kurt Busiek (and a case can be made for Joe Casey).
See above. Busiek's Pym was definitely better than McDuffie's, but that was years ago. Ever since then, Pym has alternated between being a punching bag for his wifebeating days and being the evil mad scientist for Tony Stark's pack of goons. Beyond was the first time I've seen him get back to his Avengers West Coast-era self, which was his best characterization ever, as far as I'm concerned. It wasn't perfect, but it was the best of a bad bunch.

Gyrich is one of those characters thats wonderfully fun to hate. If he ever did anything even remotely relatable or decent I'd probably vomit all over whoever wrote it.

Also i'm interested to see more of the training sequences. And Rhodey should so be in charge here. Who the hell is Gauntlet?

Armory didn't really have time to grow on me, but I like the fact that Pym has her arm lol. MVP seemed to be a white Patriot. I won't miss him.

MVP is a martyr character. He's sort of like Jesse from the first episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. He exists to be a likeable goofy sorta guy that you think will be part of the main cast of the comic book only to die in the first episode to throw you off balance.

Basically, he's there to show that he's this guy with great potential who dies because of HPG's incompetence.

Trauma and Cloud 9 are easily my favorites of the bunch.

Only MVP and Cloud9 made an impression for me.

Yeah, same here. Then MVP went and got his face blown off. Poor bastard. He and Cloud 9 could've gotten married and had oddly incongruous children. :(
Gyrich is one of those characters thats wonderfully fun to hate. If he ever did anything even remotely relatable or decent I'd probably vomit all over whoever wrote it.

Also i'm interested to see more of the training sequences. And Rhodey should so be in charge here. Who the hell is Gauntlet?
Rhodey is in charge. Gauntlet is a new character that Slott created to be the supernewbs' "drill sergeant" guy. He's a gruff military guy who apparently would rather be in Iraq than training the superhero army that Gyrich could barely keep himself from drooling over.

Well I'm sure we haven't heard the last of MVP. That weird scientist has some interesting news for Pym :huh:

Reposting my review:

Dread said:
AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE #1: Not to be confused with the Bendis-penned one shot, THE INITITATIVE, Dan Slott's new ongoing that has been anticipated for almost a year finally comes out, with art by Caselli (YA/RUNAWAYS). The expectations for this book from both fans and Marvel were high and I believe both were met. My shop had loads of copies (I bought the cover that had Justice and the newer characters). And the story has Slott using all the tools of his arsenal. I know when some people heard "serious" from him, they got concerned, but I never did. Because even in his works where the theme is usually some kind of "good natured/dark humor", like GLA and SPIDER-MAN/HUMAN TORCH, there is plenty of suspence, mood, and sometimes darkness there. Mr. Immortal's plight was in no way funny. The heart shown between the Richard and Parker families and between the two young heroes was not merely for laughs. Just some people, by nature of our dark medium, are quick to sandbox Slott as being a "comedy" guy simply because he can be light and funny at times. Hopefully this title proves how well rounded he is. This issue does have light moments, and some jokes in it. No question. But that is because Slott stories vary in mood, vs. just keeping one throughout. We are first introduced to the drill sarge, The Gauntlet, who was plucked off of combat duty in Iraq (fighting HYDRA) to teach the recruits at their Stamford base by Gyrich, a task he at first scoffs at but is convinced because, apparently, M-Day erasing 90% of mutants left the U.S. at the top of the "super powers" race, so they only want the best for their investments. Nevermind the fact that we rarely saw even mutants outside the U.S. in the same dramatic numbers, and it works. The three main instructors, War Machine, Justice, and Yellowjacket, bring in some new recruits. Cloud 9, the self-doubting, anxious heroine, is easily going to become the fan fave so far. MVP, grandson of the creator of Cap's super-soldier serum, is a athletic prodigy that does seem familier to Patriot. Throw in Arsenal, Hardball, Trauma, and Komodo, and we have ourselves some rookies. Also having speaking lines/appreances are Thor Girl, Rage, Slapstick, Ulra-Girl, Stingray, and Bengal, amung others for the keen eye. It may seem odd that Justice is with The Inititative, but Slott doesn't gloss over his NW history. When MVP's parents bring it up, he counters it. And when Gauntlet uses the NW's name as an example for "failing heroes", Vance takes issue with it. No, he doesn't throw a power-mad temper tantrum that some fans would have expected, but it's there. He's not as gung-ho for trashing the Warriors like the others are, and that perspective is why he is key for the faculty. Plus, much like Pym and Stark, one could say he is a hero who "made a mistake and knows that heroes should be accountable", as he accidentally killed his abusive father, went to trail and served jailtime in the Vault for it. This is his best chance in years for some top billing and who better than Slott. I don't care for Rage's retro look again, though, and he seems to be going through the training simply because with Cap's surrender, it is the only option. But the core focus is on Slott's new creations, which is what you'd expect. Komodo is a girl who gained powers by swiping Dr. Conner's "lizard" formula, an idea I am surprised we haven't seen more often. Trauma (or "emo boy" as Gauntlet calls him) can literally become whatever the person nearest him fears, which is a unique power. Haven't seen much of Hardball and he kind of looks like a generic energy-blaster type. Arsenal is sort of like Witchblade in that she has a weapon on her arm that morphs into whatever she needs to blast someone. They do the tryouts and that is when things get dark. Arsenal wigs out when Trauma turns into a massive spider to demonstrate, and she madly blasts about. MVP dives to save a frozen Cloud 9, and takes a shot in the head, seemingly dying. Yeah, Slott did this once before, with Grasshopper in GLA. But this time it was more serious and it still worked and made the point about how dangerous this gig is. Plus, it was an original character made for that issue, so not as much whining. One young hero has her powers stripped from her (Arsenal) and one is killed (MVP), heckuva way to start issue #1. But what about this "discovery" that the doc doing MVP's autopsy found? And will a base that sets up a training facility for teenage heroes in which they can be traumatized or even slain come under legal fire (I could SO see MVP's parents staging a lawsuit)? The concept of the government using veteran heroes to train new teams of them in an official manner is a good idea and in a way I am glad to see it, even if the cost was CW. Slott is definately the right man for the job of having this series introduce new faces and showcase the wide range of the MU. Despite the flaws of CW, the fresh soil from under the scorched earth is starting to grow some pretty flowers, and this title looks to be one of them. The art, as expected, rocks, and I didn't have any issue with the colors (even if I have seen better). Can't wait for issue #2, as it should be. And hey! It was a complete story while obviously having subplots for the next, instead of simply relying on a cliffhanger. Go Slott Go!

Some additions:

- The Gauntlet is just serving the "a-hole drill sarge" role immortalized by FULL METAL JACKET and all those other army films. He is supposed to seem like a jerk so I can live with it. I wonder if he will have any connection to Southpaw, another Slott character who was arrogant and sported a massive tech-arm thingie.

- Pym was cooler in BEYOND, but Slott is just acting to consensus here.

- I did like all of the new kids, although Hardball is looking the most generic so far.

- Hopefully Rage, Slapstick, and Stringray get some play.

Why the hell dos everyone love Cloud 9 So much?

I just don't see the Appeal.....I found that I really lIked MVP....Though I don't think he's dead since Zavi Doctor said there was something disturbing in his autopsy.....though.....autopsy pretty much means dead....well he might be dead but his story isn't over.

I also loved whatser name.....she was all cocky in San Fran and then in Camp and in the end they...Armory that was her name, they cut her **** off and sent her packing it as awesome

And I just love the hell out of Gyrich....don't know why but I always have. Plus I want to see the connection between Gauntlet and Southpaw.

I liked MVP too, which was why it made for a surprising finish.

... I wonder if he will have any connection to Southpaw, another Slott character who was arrogant and sported a massive tech-arm thingie.

There has to be a connection, they have the same powers and same arm thingie. And her's is Left while His is Right. and Slott created them both. No way they aren't connected.

Cloud 9's just a refreshing change of pace. She's not cut from the angsty adolescent mold; she was caught joyriding with her powers. She's not a perfect paragon of beauty, either. She's kind of average, kind of goofy, and pretty funny. She gives the impression that she's just a wide-eyed kid caught up in these overwhelming circumstances. There's a lot of charm in that when you consider that almost all of the other characters in this issue were hard-asses, angsty *****es, powerhouses with immaculate figures, etc. She is, ironically, interesting because she's not extraordinary, since the extraordinary has become mundane in the comics world.

Oh...I get it....I just think her powers are wicked lame.

Hm, guess I'll be the Trauma fan around here. Weird, since I usually hate the emo characters.

Yeah, the whole idea is she's the kind of person who is utterly UNSUITED for superheroics.

She doesn't even need to be recruited she flies. So what?

But she has to join the army because ITS THE LAW.

Cloud 9's just a refreshing change of pace. She's not cut from the angsty adolescent mold; she was caught joyriding with her powers. She's not a perfect paragon of beauty, either. She's kind of average, kind of goofy, and pretty funny. She gives the impression that she's just a wide-eyed kid caught up in these overwhelming circumstances. There's a lot of charm in that when you consider that almost all of the other characters in this issue were hard-asses, angsty *****es, powerhouses with immaculate figures, etc. She is, ironically, interesting because she's not extraordinary, since the extraordinary has become mundane in the comics world.

Exactly. Just like how Chase used to be like that because he wasn't a genius, or a martial artist, or had any powers. Even with the dinosaur and pilotting the Leapfrog, he's hardly a, well, MVP.

I happened to like Trauma though, because his power is interesting. Cloud 9 naturally is cute, though. Maybe her and Squirrel-Girl can go shopping together and gossip. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"