Avengers the Initiative

Yeah I remember that Iraqi team..that was a good story. Good moment for Avalanche..one of my favs.

Promotion for the long rumored sequel series to A:TI, "AVENGERS: ACADEMY" by Christos Gage and Mike McKone, has begun at Newsarama!

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/Avengers-Academy-100308.html

My first reason is: YAY! After months of rumors, it is official!

The next question; will any of the instructors of this Academy be revealed in promotions, or just new characters like this new Veil? And what about the original characters of the last volume, such as Melee (who never did much), Komodo, Hardball, and of course Butterball? I'll sure stay tuned!

This is really the only Avengers title I may check out when it first comes out.

Man... I love Initiative. I really hope this is as interesting.

The only thing that sucks for a completionist like me is that it seems this title doesn't really create plots of its own, but rather does minor stories enveloped in whatever is going on in New Avengers and related events. I couldn't read just this without being drawn into the other Avenger titles, just because of my completionist mentality. I have to know everything that is going on and own everything that influences everything in the titles I prefer to read.

It's really annoying. I should get some help.

Man... I love Initiative. I really hope this is as interesting.

The only thing that sucks for a completionist like me is that it seems this title doesn't really create plots of its own, but rather does minor stories enveloped in whatever is going on in New Avengers and related events. I couldn't read just this without being drawn into the other Avenger titles, just because of my completionist mentality. I have to know everything that is going on and own everything that influences everything in the titles I prefer to read.

It's really annoying. I should get some help.

Yeah that does suck dude. Are comics even really fun anymore at that point?

Yeah that does suck dude. Are comics even really fun anymore at that point?

Not as much as they used to be. I'm working on fixing my mindset though starting after Siege. I'm determined not to pick up every Avenger title for completionist sake, but to only buy the ones I enjoy.

I also plan on adjusting my buying on the X-Titles as well, but I know me. I'll make the adjustment, something will eventually pull me back in, and then I"ll make a frantic rush to get all the back issues that I've missed just so I can get the story and know what's going on.

It's happened before.

A:TI's got its own stories. Diamondback and Constrictor are a great story within A:TI that pretty much only uses Siege as its backdrop. Their romance could be happening at any time with any major battle the Initiative participated in.

Oh I know that they have their own stories, but the backdrop is always whatever New Avengers creates.

I'd love to see the Constrictor/Diamondback storyline playout on its own, etc. I mean, Gage is doing a great job with what he's given, but I'd like to see Gage get the chance to run his own storylines without having to also deal with whatever plot the other Avenger books have cooking. I'd like to see the book stand on its own for a while, like the majority of the first year.

I don't really think A:TI or AA, by their very nature, are set up for that. An organization sanctioned by the Avengers and run by Avengers members is naturally going to be affected by whatever's going on with the Avengers. Excluding them would feel awkward. Plus, one of Gage's strengths is that he can write tie-ins and play off of other stories really well.

True. But in defense, the X-Men kid books have always done a great job at staying separate except for large crossovers. Starting from New Mutants, through Generation X, to the New X-Men (Academy X, New Mutants, Young X-Men, etc.), they've always been their own stories tied in to X-Men just enough to make sense, but not enough to make them feel like a tagalong. Even Young Avengers were able to run their own thing for their initial series.

It's possible, but I guess Initiative wasn't able to swing that way. I'm hoping for differant with Avengers Academy but we'll see.

Yeah, but the X-Men books stayed separate because they were trying to keep the kids kids. The Xavier Institute is a normal school, not just a headquarters for a superhero team. There was supposed to be a separation between the New Mutants and Generation X and the X-Men so the former two could learn all the normal stuff kids learn and go on to lead full lives. They could join the X-Men after if they wanted to, but they weren't necessarily being trained expressly and only for that.

With the Initiative, it's not a normal school, it's a superhero school. It was created specifically to train superhumans in the use of their powers because they were required by the SRA to serve the US in what was effectively a superhuman military. The Avengers Academy will presumably be something similar, only less militaristic and corrupt.

Apples and oranges.

Hey, I know we already saw the promo pic for Veil, but did anyone notice this blurb on Marvel's site with it?
Don't miss the brand new AVENGERS ACADEMY #1, from the superstar creative team of Christos Gage & Mike McKone, this June!
Apparently Gage and McKone are confirmed as the series' team.

Yeah, I'm glad Gage is still on board. I really like him. McKone I'm mediocre on, but he still has time to win me over.

I'm not a fan of McKone either. He's not bad, but there's something kind of boring about his work to me.

Yeah, but the X-Men books stayed separate because they were trying to keep the kids kids. The Xavier Institute is a normal school, not just a headquarters for a superhero team. There was supposed to be a separation between the New Mutants and Generation X and the X-Men so the former two could learn all the normal stuff kids learn and go on to lead full lives. They could join the X-Men after if they wanted to, but they weren't necessarily being trained expressly and only for that.

With the Initiative, it's not a normal school, it's a superhero school. It was created specifically to train superhumans in the use of their powers because they were required by the SRA to serve the US in what was effectively a superhuman military. The Avengers Academy will presumably be something similar, only less militaristic and corrupt.

Apples and oranges.

So young superheroes are going to be forced to Join the academy?

Hey, I know we already saw the promo pic for Veil, but did anyone notice this blurb on Marvel's site with it?

Apparently Gage and McKone are confirmed as the series' team.

No Slott, huh? Poor guy. That sucks. No more Avengers for him.

Pym solo, perhaps? There is an Ant-Man movie in the works... ;)
So young superheroes are going to be forced to Join the academy?
Don't know. Possibly. The SRA is still in effect and the academy is still going be geared toward getting superhumans ready to be superheroes, as far as I know. But maybe kids will be able to choose whether they want to go into the academy in the first place now. We'll have to wait and see.

So is there gonna be a entirely new thread for Academy, or is someone just gonna change the name of this one?

Threads have to be closed after 10,000 posts and this one's halfway there, so we might as well start a new one. I'll do that now.

Avengers: The Initiative #35 Preview

k4fkg5.jpg

prv5125_pg4.jpg

SIEGE BLOCKBUSTER TIE-IN!! This is it: the series finale – and the end of the Initiative as we know it! Learn the fate of your favorite heroes, villains...and those who aren't quite sure what they are, but who are going to have to decide in a hurry! Who will taste sweet victory? Who will know the agony of defeat? For some this is an end -- for others, a new beginning (which you’ll be reading about very soon)! Camp H.A.M.M.E.R. is falling...and The Heroic Age is dawning!

Nooooo, the people who find Constrictor and Diamondback had better not be metaphors for the paths they end up choosing! They deserve to be together and happy if they're not going to be in any comics past this, damn it! :argh:

That would be the "Hollywood ending" for Constrictor and Diamondback. Gage could go for that, or he could try to subvert that by keeping them split up. From his perspective, if both of them are not in another comic, no one will really work with them being together anyway. Better to end it on your own terms than to have it happen and have it go nowhere because someone didn't give another writer an editorial memo. I wouldn't mind seeing them get together, but I wouldn't bet even odds on it. But that's what we'll all have to find out in this final issue. :)

Who cares about whether other comics use what he set up? In terms of his own narrative that he's built with these two characters, having them split up over a stupid misunderstanding would be somewhat poetic but wholly unsatisfying to me. I really hope that's not what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"