Official New Avengers Discussion Thread!

Get your slapping hand ready, then, 'cause Bendis loves him and he's still writing plenty of comics in the Heroic Age. :oldrazz:

Can I just say that Hood better not pop up ONCE in the Heroic Age? I'm so tired of him.

I will track Bendis down and slap him in the face if he pops up in anything post Siege. Really, I will.

c2e2-10-presenting-marvels-avengers-franchise-20100418005332296.jpg

Since this month's issue of NA is it's last of the current volume, I figured I'd give my thoughts on NA as a whole since it started 5 years ago.

NA I liked pretty much only 50% of the time, maybe less...40-45%.

The Good:

The tail end of the first arc (the Savage Land stuff)

Cho's Spider-woman issues

The Collective arc

Issue #26 with Hawkeye and Wanda (probably my favorite single issue)

Revolution and The Trust (Leinil Yu's first issues)

The Bad:

Finch's art, especially the errors (Matt Murdock/Scott Summers hybrid, Jigsaw breaking Spidey's wrist)

Spider-Man's unmasking during The Raft riot (never was crazy about his ID going public)

The Sentry's arc

The Civil War/Secret Invasion single issues that focused on one character. If I didn't care about the person featured, I skipped it. This made the "main" Avengers book an issue of Avenger's Spotlight taking a backseat to the event. I would have rather saw a story featuring other Avengers that haven't been seen in a while.

The Middle:
Dark Reign was good at some points and boring at others. I liked it at the start, but didn't really care for the Hood/Brother Voodoo story. NA's assault on Camp Hammond was good, same goes for NA Annual #3.

The SIEGE tie ins with Steve's return were good, but not the recent two.

That's pretty much it, I'm curious too see if anyone agrees or disagrees. I'll probably skip the NA Finale since it's gonna tie up the Hood's storyline.

I like how we were never really shown what the Norn stones allowed The Hood to do specifically.

Can't fault Bendis on that one. The norn stones' abilities have never been too clear. They were once shown to imbue the holder with one specific power each, but then later they could imbue the holder with a whole host of powers that seemed to change from one person to the next. Then the stones all together seemed to give Loki pretty much all of his magic power back after it had been taken away from him. So basically, based on what we've seen, the norn stones can do pretty much anything. :huh:

Maybe they are linked to the wearers/users imagination? Like they grant them any power they want.

Would explain how each different user has shown different powers.

Could be. Parker's incredibly unimaginative if all he can think of is to make his stupid guns shoot stupid rainbow bullets. Yet another reason to hate the Hood. :o

Didn't he power up a load of his goons too? I could imagine that and the rainbow bullets is the extent of his imagination.

It'd be cool if he gets killed off in Siege. But i get the feeling someone awesome like Taskmaster will be :argh:

Last edited:
Didn't he power up a load of his goons too? I could imagine that and the rainbow bullets is the extent of his imagination.

It'd be cool if he gets killed off in Siege. But i get the feeling someone awesome like Taskmaster will be :argh:

So far the only casualties we know of are
Sentry/Void and Loki.

I wish there were some more....

Since this month's issue of NA is it's last of the current volume, I figured I'd give my thoughts on NA as a whole since it started 5 years ago.

NA I liked pretty much only 50% of the time, maybe less...40-45%.

The Good:

The tail end of the first arc (the Savage Land stuff)

Cho's Spider-woman issues

The Collective arc

Issue #26 with Hawkeye and Wanda (probably my favorite single issue)

Revolution and The Trust (Leinil Yu's first issues)

The Bad:

Finch's art, especially the errors (Matt Murdock/Scott Summers hybrid, Jigsaw breaking Spidey's wrist)

Spider-Man's unmasking during The Raft riot (never was crazy about his ID going public)

The Sentry's arc

The Civil War/Secret Invasion single issues that focused on one character. If I didn't care about the person featured, I skipped it. This made the "main" Avengers book an issue of Avenger's Spotlight taking a backseat to the event. I would have rather saw a story featuring other Avengers that haven't been seen in a while.

The Middle:
Dark Reign was good at some points and boring at others. I liked it at the start, but didn't really care for the Hood/Brother Voodoo story. NA's assault on Camp Hammond was good, same goes for NA Annual #3.

The SIEGE tie ins with Steve's return were good, but not the recent two.

That's pretty much it, I'm curious too see if anyone agrees or disagrees. I'll probably skip the NA Finale since it's gonna tie up the Hood's storyline.

I agree for the most part, except the Sentry arc was by far my favorite of the whole series. McNiven on art, Paul Jenkins, MU vs the Void and Emma helping Robert in his head. I just really liked it. Definately in the Good section.

And the solo Civil War issues weren't great, especially the Cap ish, but LUKE CAGE's was awesome. Bendis really did a great job of portraying what a stand up guy he is.

Other than those 2, I'm with you.

Probably cause I don't give a hoot about Ares...
plus we all know he'll be back in 5 minutes.

I wonder how BKV feels about what Bendis did to his character?

I wonder how BKV feels about what Bendis did to his character?
Elevated his prestige at the expense of any shred of his moral complexity? It's the nature of the beast, which I imagine he understood when he created the Hood as part of the Marvel universe instead of a creator-owned thing.

Errrm... what happened to [blackout]Loki then? How is he a casualty?[/blackout]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"