Avengers the Initiative

Christos Gage's War "Initiative"

2w3dg9j.jpg

2qdsc2c.jpg

CBR News: It seems with the villain scenes in "The Initiative" that you're primarily interested in exploring a specific type of villain, that of the professional costumed criminal variety. Is that correct? What makes these characters so intriguing to you?

Christos Gage: I don't know if I have a specific preference for mercenary types as much as that's what seems to best fit the book, but I definitely find those characters intriguing. I think ever since "Silence of the Lambs" we've all seen some pretty in - depth explorations of psychopaths. To me, characters like Constrictor, Taskmaster, and (on a different level) Johnny Guitar are a different breed; sort of the working class of villains. They don't get the attention of a Dr. Doom, Venom or Green Goblin, but they make the villainous world go 'round.

I'm not saying these people are normal or well adjusted by any means, but I do find it interesting to write a character who isn't a villain because they're too crazy to be anything else, but rather because they've consciously chosen that path. They see it as a route to fame, riches or luxury, or it feeds some other need you and I can relate to, even if we'd never put on a skull mask or octopus arms. What I like to try to do is put readers in the position of saying, 'Okay, I understand that guy. Maybe even identify with him.' I think "The Sopranos" did that brilliantly. Most of us can relate to Tony's problems with his kids, his wife, his mom, his co - workers. So it carries that much more impact when he often deals with those problems by killing someone, because then you have to ask yourself how far away you are from doing the same thing.

In "Avengers: The Iniatiative" #31, Taskmaster accepted Osborn's offer to join his Cabal and later attended his first meeting...where he was attacked by Doctor Doom. At the end of the issue, when he was recuperating from Doom's attack, it seemed like Taskmaster realized that in accepting Osborn's offer and trying to be involved in something much bigger, he's actually in way over his head. It also seemed like he felt like he was trapped. What exactly is running through Taskmaster's mind when Osborn reveals that they're invading Asgard?

You'll find out more about Taskmaster's thoughts and how he feels about everything over the course of the "Siege" issues - Taskmaster is definitely one of the focal characters. You're right, he realizes that, like it or not, he's stuck. He accepted Osborn's invitation and now he's got to see it through.
It could end with him dead, Osborn dead, or both. It could end with them winning and achieving even more power. It could end with Osborn using him as a human shield or throwing him under the bus. He's certainly thought about running, but he knows Osborn - one of the most powerful men in the world - would come after him, so that's not an option...right now. But you can bet Taskmaster will never stop calculating the angles and considering his options. That, if anything, is what sets him apart from other villains - his common sense. In his first appearance he took on all the Avengers, so he's no coward, but when things started to go bad he ran for it. He's not stupid. He's going to be keeping an eye out for opportunities - and he won't be too picky about who he has to stab in the back to save his own skin.

Issue #31 also shines the spotlight on Constrictor, another character you seem to enjoy writing. Will we be seeing more of him in upcoming issues, and how would you describe his moral compass? It doesn't seem like he's exactly a villain or a hero.

I very much enjoy writing Constrictor, and yes, he'll be another one of the spotlight characters during Siege. He's a guy who has literally walked the line between hero and villain for quite a while, and I agree that you can't firmly put him in either category. He'd steal without a second thought, and killing per se doesn't bother him, but he wouldn't kill innocent people.
He's capable of heroic acts, but he also has a highly developed sense of self - interest. He's made bad choices. He's got character flaws. But he can also surprise you, as when he saved an airplane full of people in #29. Right now his relationship with Diamondback is really putting him through the wringer, as the last page of issue #31 reveals.

Reposting my review of the last issue, with spoilers:

Dread said:
AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE #31: As this title starts to reach the 3rd year marker, sales are dwindling but Christos Gage has really taken off since he began writing solo. As good a book as it was with Dan Slott either solo or co-writing, it has become a grade better under Gage's pen. Few titles can have a cast of some dozen or so characters and juggle them so well over 22 page issues. Nearly every character is spotlighted eventually, from B to F listers and they usually are done justice for as much script time they have, whether 10 pages or 2 panels. Especially for the past 6 or so issues, this title has been super-consistent, in a good way. While prior issues tackled Penance, Trauma, and even Prodigy and Johnny Guitar as stars, this one goes with a steady cast member since the SECRET INVASION era, Taskmaster.

As per the CABAL one shot tie-in, Osborn has chosen to promote Taskmaster to the "big table" after being betrayed by Frost & Namor and finding he cannot really trust Loki or Doom. This issue builds up to that scene that Bendis wrote, where to be honest I seem to have missed that Doom zapped Taskmaster, since there was a lot else going on. So this issue we have Taskmaster trying to shore up the Initiative base for Osborn's final inspection, and chatting with another long term B-List grunt, Constrictor, about risking a fall vs. taking the chance. Considering Constrictor, who has been a villain, a merc-for-hire and even an occasional hero, is now dating Diamondback, who is revealed as the Avengers Resistance mole (which makes sense for her, considering she is an ex of Capt. America). It works well to make both of them sympathetic. The Hood in a way vocalizes some of readers' dismissals of Taskmaster; that he merely copies skills from others, and always bails on a rough fight. Taskmaster himself has a good counter to that in his chat with Constrictor, noting how megalomania often leads to defeat. His "made emperor of Newark" line criticizing some of his bosses especially killed me.

Still, it is important for Taskmaster to actually beat opponents now and then. I tried to think of the opponents Taskmaster has beaten this decade, and the going was rough. He threw Iron Man around in his own mini years ago with UDON, but that was a draw at best. Since then he lost, decisively, to Deadpool and Moon Knight (even begged for mercy with the latter). He did take down Stature and "Skrullojacket", but I don't think that especially counts; EVERY hero got to beat at least one super-Skrull during SECRET INVASION. Even Gravity outright killed a few. The point is Taskmaster kind of does need some wins now and again, and I don't expect them from Bendis. It'll be up to Gage to continue with that angle of Taskmaster's redemption. Too few writers really get that about characters; the reason Wolverine is who he is is because he's BEATEN PEOPLE. Name me one worthy opponent that Iron Fist has beaten in the last few years. None. Random HYDRA fodder or an occasional dragon don't count. Now if he'd gotten to beat Sabretooth before he croaked, that might have mattered. Taskmaster has that dilemma to a larger degree because he is very similar to DC's Deathstroke, and Deathstroke could practically beat the Anti-Moniter with a pool cue. Future solicits claim that Taskmaster is set to face Capt. America, which is a problem since Taskmaster really shouldn't beat Capt. America. He needs to fight some B and C list heroes now and then to build some wins. What, Daredevil is too busy? He won Namor's respect in a fight, after all.

Still, in terms of characterization, Gage is on a role. Donyell still seems to have his own subplot, Tigra reaffirms her "getting her grooze back" mantra after Bendis all but made her a rape victim, and Justice and Ultra-Girl get back together again. My only quibble is they were barely apart for 5 issues, which made me question the point rather than needing SOME subplot for them. But even on that level, it worked and was fine; they are both barely 20 after all. It is a shame that the "Slapstick gone psycho" subplot has been quietly dropped, considering Gauntlet is serving alongside him now, and Gage helped co-write it. A worthy issue could easily be had with Slappy and Gauntlet hashing stuff out. But these are really just nitpick style concerns, like complaining that a great present had a bow that wasn't tied right. On the whole it is a solid Avengers book, at times even better than MIGHTY AVENGERS. And heck, Gage has written for that, too.

If you're a fan like me who enjoys all sorts of B, C, and D list characters and wants to see them not only used, but used WELL (not just showing up to die like in a Bendis or Millar comic), then this has been your book for a while, and it's only gotten better in 2009. Rafa Sandoval returns to art, I guess he was busy on ULTIMATE SECRET for a bit, and his pencils are as solid as ever. I can't wait for things to heat up with the SIEGE tie-in's, and the word that this title is set for a relaunch as "AVENGERS ACADEMY" sounds great. If Gage has managed to wring this level of quality about the trainee school being run by nut-jobs, I imagine he'll be even more solid with the Academy run by genuine heroes (even Iron Man was hardly one during his Initiative tenure). And it is still $3! Excellent, too often underrated and ignored title.

Added points:

- It is cool to get Sif in some of the SIEGE issues. I wonder if Gage's own subplot revolving around Tarene and Ragnarok/Clor will come up during this crossover. I mean, if not now, when? No one else seems interested in it. Why not use it to cap off the event tie-in?

- Gage (with some help from Slott in past issues) has done a solid job dusting Taskmaster off from the dustbin of the Handbook of the Marvel Universe and made him a readable, viable character. The only thing Taskmaster needs are some actual wins against named opponents. Otherwise, all of Hood's "opinions" about him in issue #31 will prove true. No, I don't want or think Taskie could take out Steve Rogers in a fight, but he has to at least put in a decent showing. And he needs some C or even B list heroes to spank now and then. I mean, in the (recent) past he begged for mercy from Moon Knight, a guy that THE FLY once single handedly defeated, and CRIPPLED. THE FLY, a Spidey F-Lister! Beating random Asgardians in a preview page isn't enough; a dying "William the Warrior" was able to kill an Asgardian. Like in wrestling, it's all about rep. Taskmaster has to beat SOMEONE with a name one of these years.

I really hope we get some kind of follow-up for Tarene and/or Clor in the Siege tie-in. It's the perfect time.

I really hope we get some kind of follow-up for Tarene and/or Clor in the Siege tie-in. It's the perfect time.

It truly is. Gage began his solo run with those two, why not cap off this run before the relaunch with them? If not SIEGE, then when? Seems natural to me.

Taskmaster made short work of Cap first time they fought way back in Avengers #196 (iirc)....have they scrapped again since then?

Not that I recall. Since 2000, though, Taskmaster's fought Iron Man to a draw, before getting his rear handed to him by Deadpool and losing, then whimpering at, Moon Knight. The last time I saw Taskmaster defeat anyone with a name (who wasn't a Skrull) was "The Cat", a.k.a. Shen Kuei, who's a two-bit Shang Chi hanger on. Yes, Taskmaster isn't even allowed to beat Shang Chi, he has to beat a Shang Chi HANGER ON. The dude seriously needs to get in some wins.

If you consider how martial arts works in Marvel, Taskmaster should be incredibly formidable even if he does "copy moves". I mean, martial artists can kick down doors, punch through bricks or even damage robots to a degree. Hell, if he used trick arrows like Hawkeye, that alone should make him formidable. Gage (and Slott) have done a good job with Taskmaster's personality, I just think adding in a victory or two for the guy would be nice.

I mean, having him cower in fear to K.I.A. with Eric O'Grady is not the kind of thing that makes anyone compare him favorably to DC's Deathstroke the Terminator. They both were made around the same time (and drawn by George Perez too), only Taskmaster has become an underachieving C-Lister while Deathstroke could probably punch out Metron if he wanted to. It's totally unfair.

Last edited:
To be fair, he should cower in fear to K.I.A. that dude was a beast and had just killed like fifty superheroes. He did however take out Stature and Skrull Pym, or was that O'Grady? Either way, he took down giants by punching them in the shins. That's something....I guess.

Not that I recall. Since 2000, though, Taskmaster's fought Iron Man to a draw, before getting his rear handed to him by Deadpool and losing, then whimpering at, Moon Knight. The last time I saw Taskmaster defeat anyone with a name (who wasn't a Skrull) was "The Cat", a.k.a. Shen Kuei, who's a two-bit Shang Chi hanger on. Yes, Taskmaster isn't even allowed to beat Shang Chi, he has to beat a Shang Chi HANGER ON. The dude seriously needs to get in some wins.

If you consider how martial arts works in Marvel, Taskmaster should be incredibly formidable even if he does "copy moves". I mean, martial artists can kick down doors, punch through bricks or even damage robots to a degree. Hell, if he used trick arrows like Hawkeye, that alone should make him formidable. Gage (and Slott) have done a good job with Taskmaster's personality, I just think adding in a victory or two for the guy would be nice.

I mean, having him cower in fear to K.I.A. with Eric O'Grady is not the kind of thing that makes anyone compare him favorably to DC's Deathstroke the Terminator. They both were made around the same time (and drawn by George Perez too), only Taskmaster has become an underachieving C-Lister while Deathstroke could probably punch out Metron if he wanted to. It's totally unfair.

Agreed. Taskmaster is making the Bronx look bad.

To be fair, he should cower in fear to K.I.A. that dude was a beast and had just killed like fifty superheroes. He did however take out Stature and Skrull Pym, or was that O'Grady? Either way, he took down giants by punching them in the shins. That's something....I guess.

Most of K.I.A.'s victims lived except for one of the Scarlet Spiders, and that "Dragon Wizard" guy.

"Skrull Pym" doesn't count; anyone could beat a Skrull in SECRET INVASION. Gravity managed to kill several. Stature does, I guess...although is anyone really quivering in their boots because Taskmaster beat her?

I mean look at that Cabal table:

Dr. Doom: "Doom has beaten the Beyonder, Silver Surfer, the Fantastic Four on occasion."

Norman Osborn: "I've beaten Spider-Man on occasion."

Loki: "Managed to make Thor my ***** for the past year."

Hood: "Man-handled Tigra."

Taskmaster (looking around): "Uh, I beat Stature."

Agreed. Taskmaster is making the Bronx look bad.

He's written quite well these days. He just needs some wins is all.

I'm just happy to see him written at all. He and Agent X are the best things to come out of the Deadpool-verse

Most of K.I.A.'s victims lived except for one of the Scarlet Spiders, and that "Dragon Wizard" guy.

"Skrull Pym" doesn't count; anyone could beat a Skrull in SECRET INVASION. Gravity managed to kill several. Stature does, I guess...although is anyone really quivering in their boots because Taskmaster beat her?

I mean look at that Cabal table:

Dr. Doom: "Doom has beaten the Beyonder, Silver Surfer, the Fantastic Four on occasion."

Norman Osborn: "I've beaten Spider-Man on occasion."

Loki: "Managed to make Thor my ***** for the past year."

Hood: "Man-handled Tigra."

Taskmaster (looking around): "Uh, I beat Stature."

He's written quite well these days. He just needs some wins is all.

Actually he still holds on to that whole beating the Avenger's collective asses in their first meeting. Hey, if Sue Richards can still harp on that whole knocking the Hulk out once thing, I'm sure Tasky could.

Taskmaster shouldn't stand a chance against Cap, as far as I'm concerned. I'm disappointed if Cap's never beat him to date.

Well, now would be the time to do it, if it hasn't already happened.

I want Taskmaster to go back to being like he was in Agency X or like in his original Avengers Intiative appearances, not a complete villain, but a lovable rogue

I'm just happy to see him written at all. He and Agent X are the best things to come out of the Deadpool-verse

:huh: Taskmaster was around long before Deadpool was a disproportionately muscled thought in Liefeld's head.

Well, Taskmaster has been around since 1980. Even if many newer fans likely first saw him in AGENT X. Still, he had shown up in Kurt Busiek's Avengers run by the end, around 2000-2002 I think, after Perez had left the art chores after about 3 years. I still like that UDON costume design of his from 2002, which went by the wayside when he returned in the Huston/Finch MOON KNIGHT relaunch.

Gage writes him very well. He is a solid writer in general but he has a great voice for the "working class blue collar villains" which Taskmaster is. He rarely was about mega-schemes or posturing, just doing his thing, whether training someone or providing henchmen or occasional merc work, getting his paycheck and splitting. That should seem pragmatic, but instead it seems cowardly to some because he hasn't had too many high profile wins over named heroes in a good decade.

Actually he still holds on to that whole beating the Avenger's collective asses in their first meeting. Hey, if Sue Richards can still harp on that whole knocking the Hulk out once thing, I'm sure Tasky could.

To be frank, Invisible Woman has a slew of impressive victories since whenever she beat Hulk to brag about. Hell, Havok could technically brag about beating the Hulk (or at least holding him off) in the 70's.

Danger rep for villains is sometimes a lot like a professional fighting record. Past great wins are great, but if since 2000 all Taskmaster can claim is holding Iron Man to a draw once while losing to Deadpool and Moon Knight, well, it's time to take some names. I mean Ringmaster almost killed Moon Knight once, for chrissakes. The Fly once crippled him in the 80's and he was Scourge-fodder. I like Moon Knight but he's the definition of C-List.

Taskmaster shouldn't stand a chance against Cap, as far as I'm concerned. I'm disappointed if Cap's never beat him to date.

Well, now would be the time to do it, if it hasn't already happened.

To be fair, while Captain America needed steroids and radiation to reach peak human status, apparently Taskmaster is peak human in at least some areas through sheer hard work. If some of the power boosts in the UDON mini remain, Taskmaster can even move at about twice human speed, albeit only for a few seconds at a time.

Taskmaster probably shouldn't be able to beat Captain America in a fair fight, but Taskmaster could try to hold out for a draw...

To be frank, Invisible Woman has a slew of impressive victories since whenever she beat Hulk to brag about.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what book that supposedly happened in? I read a lot of Hulk and FF but i don't recall that particular fight anywhere...

15y6rnk.jpg

AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE #35
Written by CHRISTOS N. GAGE
Penciled by JORGE MOLINA
Cover by DAVID YARDIN

SIEGE BLOCKBUSTER TIE-IN!!

This is it: the series finale – and the end of the Initiative as we know it! Learn the fate of your favorite heroes, villains... and those who aren't quite sure what they are, but who are going to have to decide in a hurry!

Who will taste sweet victory? Who will know the agony of defeat? For some this is an end -- for others, a new beginning (which you'll be reading about very soon)! Camp H.A.M.M.E.R. is falling...and The Heroic Age is dawning!

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99

This does support the rumor of AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE being rebooted as AVENGERS ACADEMY after SIEGE. Which made sense as technically "the Initiative" ended two years ago, and A:TI is selling below the Top 50 and thus it is due to a relaunch after 3 years anyway.

I do hope that Christos Gage gets to continue his solo run on A:TI regardless of what the title becomes.

Bah. Tantalizing stuff now that we know the Avengers franchise is shifting radically after Siege ends. I want to know what happens already. :csad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"