Bad Robot/Jonathan Nolan Bringing "Westworld" to HBO - Part 1

At the end of S02, Dolores get away in Hale body and later we see her in Arnold's house in her Dolores body with a Hale and a rebuild Bernard.
I was wondering, were they both Dolores, one in the original body and one in a Hale or (probably that), Dolores-Hale made herself a Dolores-Dolores body and uploaded someone else in the Hale body.

This episode answered my question.
Dolores looked great in her fight (it reminded me of Terminator VS Terminatrix in T3).
So...Paris was destroyed :(

Brilliant episode.

Anyone read the theory that . . .

Possibly a bit Matrix-like, but ..................................... The entire world is a simulation. It wasn't just Paris destroyed in a nuclear attack, but most of the world. The consciousnesses of remaining humans (and the hosts) were transferred into this simulation, and it's the 'system' which maintains a certain amount of order, control and so on to enable humanity to continue. The 'divergence' shots we see at the start of each episode are referring to someone not behaving as they should according to the laws of the system, such as Bernard and Dolores. Serac is effectively the caretaker of this system and may even be completely AI.

Bit of a stretch maybe, but it would certainly account for the almost ridiculous far reaching powers of this system, such as being able to predict someone's suicide 10yrs in advance. Perhaps the whole thing has been on a massive loop for centuries.

Brilliant episode.

Anyone read the theory that . . .

Possibly a bit Matrix-like, but ..................................... The entire world is a simulation. It wasn't just Paris destroyed in a nuclear attack, but most of the world. The consciousnesses of remaining humans (and the hosts) were transferred into this simulation, and it's the 'system' which maintains a certain amount of order, control and so on to enable humanity to continue. The 'divergence' shots we see at the start of each episode are referring to someone not behaving as they should according to the laws of the system, such as Bernard and Dolores. Serac is effectively the caretaker of this system and may even be completely AI.

Bit of a stretch maybe, but it would certainly account for the almost ridiculous far reaching powers of this system, such as being able to predict someone's suicide 10yrs in advance. Perhaps the whole thing has been on a massive loop for centuries.

I dig this a lot and yeah I fully expect some, if not all, of what we’re seeing to be
simulations

Such a great episode. Only thing I could ask for was more of Bernard/Stubbs living out that Finsh/Reese dynamic. The reveal was great. And that Weeknd cover was INCREDIBLE. Also, costume design is top notch. Everyone looks freaking incredible. I mean, the women of this show already look incredible in pretty much anything, but they managed to make Aaron Paul look like he belongs in the same world as ERW.

It's crazy to think we're halfway through the season and still know so little about what the actual endgame here is.

Enrico Colantoni and the Shining theme. This episode was made for me!

GdRqcBA.gif

Dolores right now:

eNOMD6W.gif

Not my favorite episode but it could just be because I’ve had too much to drink. I might need to rewatch it as I didn’t understand what the hell those
flashbacks about Caleb and what Liam said about him mean. I suppose it’s implied that he’s an outlier, right?

Is HBO even aware that Jonah totally trolled them into funding a spinoff of POI? :hehe:

Aaron Paul must’ve had a blast shooting this ep. His faces especially during the
love genre
were killing me.

Enrico Colantoni and the Shining theme. This episode was made for me!

GdRqcBA.gif

I totally screamed at that part. :awesome:

Last edited:
Not my favorite episode but it could just be because I’ve had too much to drink. I might need to rewatch it as I didn’t understand what the hell those
flashbacks about Caleb and what Liam said about him mean. I suppose it’s implied that he’s an outlier, right?
Yeah, I think they're hinting at Caleb being an outlier/subject for Serac's program. He might be a programmed solider. This would make more parallels between humans and hosts: memory wipes, new narratives, etc.

Last edited:
Tonight's episode wasn't as good as the last couple of episodes, but damn did it still have its moments. Loved the bit on the train and that whole sequence with Aaron Paul was pretty crazy and exceptionally well done, especially seeing all his changing facial expressions and I really liked the visuals they chose to put in certain scenes. Vincent Cassel's character just keeps getting scarier and scarier each episode too.

Yeah, I think they're hinting at Caleb being an outlier/subject for Serac's program. He might be a programmed solider. This would make more parallels between humans and hosts: memory wipes, new narratives, etc.

Oh that’s a good guess. I like it and it makes sense. :up:

ETA: This supports your theory.

Last edited:
I love this show...but that Genre drug gimmick may have been the dumbest thing this show has ever done.

I wish they would have dialed it up to an 11... them doing it a level 3 wasn't worth it, but I can see why - its a cool cool cool idea and they only have 8 episodes.

But, when that Shining note dropped... it was like a DJ putting on Prince at a wedding.

Also, they were pulling off some TDK chase shots... while shooting in the same locations of the TDKRises chase; a little trippy as a Batman/Westworld fan.

I wish they would have dialed it up to an 11... them doing it a level 3 wasn't worth it, but I can see why - its a cool cool cool idea and they only have 8 episodes.

But, when that Shining note dropped... it was like a DJ putting on Prince at a wedding.

Yeah it was just...there...though. The idea isnt worth doing unless you're going to REALLY be trippy and just flat out change the show completely every time he switches genres...and its really kind of a comedy idea, like a singing episode...and this show doesnt need a comedy episode.

So, based on how Dolores tanked those gunshots from Serrac's assassins, she is totally manipulating Caleb. Good chances are she showed him an edited version of his Rehoboam profile. Or did not show him what Rehoboam was attempting to prevent him from becoming. It did feel off that she seemed a bit fragile in the premiere. I do look forward to Caleb finding out what Dolores is.

Genre was just an excuse to have some fun visually and audibly.

I’m confused as hell right now.

I'm honestly not feeling this season at all in terms of excitement.

Also it felt like watching Michael Bay's The Island during the Genre scene.

This was the first episode of the season I found a little boring thus far. I loved all the previous eps.

I love this show...but that Genre drug gimmick may have been the dumbest thing this show has ever done.

It wreaked of that "wouldn't be cool if we ......" vibe instead of coherently fitting into the plot.

Season 2 was too convoluted and deteriorated into a shoot'em up. This season is just boring and I'm exhausted from listening to Aaron Paul's redundant gruff. It's like the existential connection I had with Season 1 is looooooong gone.

I'm enjoying this season more than the second, but I doubt the show ever engages me quite as much as it did in its first season, that first season was lightning in a bottle and executed so damn well. And I'll admit, as shallow as this is, I miss the western setting, it was a big part of the show's appeal for me, even though I do fully understand that the story has to move on from it at this point.

I'm finding this season to be a nice jump over the last two, which I already loved to begin with. After Person of Interest got cancelled, Nolan said in an interview he didn't want to discuss where he had planned for the show to go as he wanted to repurpose those ideas. And it feels like that's what I'm watching here, and I've never enjoyed the show more.

Biggest takeaway from this episode though is that Jonah definitely wrote Bane's hope speech in Dark Knight Rises, Caleb might as well have told Liam a story of shipwrecked sailors turning to seawater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"