Game of Thrones - HBO part 2 - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Renly is being petty but partly truthful....Stannis is a great soldier and fighter, but he's about as boring as it gets outside of that....he willingly exiles himself in his castle because he really cares little for what goes on other than his duties

Stannis is a big d-bag, basically.

And it's like BlackLantern said, he pretty much stays in Dragonstone. It's a kind of self-exile. He thinks Robert slighted him by giving him Dragonstone and not Storm's End, and he still holds a grudge that Robert ****ed someone in his wedding bed before he and his bride got there.

Great soldier, but about as inspiring as a stick in the mud. You follow him because you're sworn to, not because you want to.

Ah, but his religion is the most interesting thing about him.

IMHO the Stannis chapters have all been great, some of my favorites.

Last edited:
Well, just finished season 1. Wow, that was awesome. I'm pretty much in love with this show.

Question for those of you that have read the books... do they explain a bit better how Daenerys is somehow half dragon or whatever? I mean, how does that work? Did humans mate with dragons?

Also... awesome news that Natalie Dormer will be part of the second season. She was brilliant in the Tudors. And I'll tell ya, Natalie and Emilia Clarke in one show... too much hotness to handle! Damn.

Explaining would be a bit of a spoiler, I recommend reading it or waiting till it's explained. She's not half dragon, she has certain dragony qualities much like all her ancestors.

It's back-history that I'm not sure will be quite revealed in the show. So, with no novel spoilers whatsoever:

The sigil of House Targaryen is the dragon. They came from the Freehold of Valyria, which at one point in history was a very large empire - think GRRM's equivalent of Rome. Something big and mystical and bad happens called The Doom of Valyria, and it basically goes the way of the dodos. Some of the Targaryens and their armies survive, the ones who were on Dragonstone, which is an island just off the coast of Westeros. Aegon and his two sisters land at the site of where King's Landing now exists, and set to taking over most of the Seven Kingdoms.

So kind of like the Starks finding the dire wolves in the first episode is a sign and omen of symbiosis, the Targaryens and dragons are a sign and omen of symbiosis. Does that all make sense?

Cool, thanks. That does sort of makes sense. But I guess I will have to read the books. Sounds really interesting.

I started the book last night. Kinda surprised that the prologue was the most changed of the chapters I read (that and the first 3) in the show. The book also made the symbolism of the direwolf mother killed by the stag antler a lot more obvious to the reader while the show kind of ignored it afterwards. I like how it shifts between POVs, as well. Makes it seem a lot shorter to read.

Everyone should read A Song of Ice and Fire, whether they like reading or not. It should be mandatory reading at some point in life, and added to the canon of great American literature. But it won't be, because ooh, ahh, fantasy is not as intellectual.

I was out of the country the last week, so did not see the season finale until tonight on DVR.

That was freaking great. I know people have moved on to talk about the books, but I am still savoring how epic that was. Every storyline had me craving more. Jon Snow is (FINALLY) going north of the wall to hunt Whitewalkers? Rob Stark is now King of the North? Tyrion is Hand of the King? And the freaking dragons? I was floored by the final scene. Now that is how you do a season finale (hinthint Borgias, Killing, True Blood and Glee for that matter).

Lastly, could someone kill Joffrey already? Preferably Arya stabbing him with her little sword, her lost dire wolf biting his royal jewels away and then Sansa delivering the final blow with Ice and removing his bratty, sadistic and monstrous little head. Too Hollywood? I don't care, I want to see the Starks, especially the daughters, have their revenge on that little bastard. Strangely, as much as I hate Jaimie Lannister, his blunt honesty with Lady Stark made me not as thirsty to see her bring justice on him. Though I still hope it happens, as only Tyrion is worthy of surviving the Starks's wrath, in my opinion.

Cannot wait for season 2. I also hope winter finally comes after all the hyping these characters have had about it all season. A lot of build up that didn't have anything this year.

The hype about Winter coming shows you just how important the event is in their lives. It's not like the normal winter we have here in North America. It's freaking bad news.

Imagining Sansa picking up Ice reminds me of those anime movies that have skinny people wielding oversized weapons.

I loved the finale but I wish it had been longer.

Yes winter is a big deal, it's a big freaking deal.

Imagine if the earth's weather was like that. Out of nowhere, unpredictably every now and then there's a winter that lasts it's regular 3 months, but it could as easily be 20 years. Imagine the strain on resources, the starvation in the extreme north and south sections of the planet. Where would the world's seat of power lie? Not in the US, England, Russia, Germany, France when most of it is frozen, it'll be somewhere along the equator like King's Landing, the Caribbean, somewhere in South America (most likely since they produce a lot of food and oil too), maybe India even. Somewhere that can trade everywhere by sea, naturally protected ports. What does it do to the governments of all the sovereign nations when every now and then they have to bend the knee to some equatorial despot so their entire country does not starve to death for lack of food and fuel for a winter that may never even end this time around.

will there be more wicked swords that [BLACKOUT]dont go to s**thead kids or chicks, sorry but i read what happens to "ICE"[/BLACKOUT]

There are a bunch of swords in the story, do they all carry the importance of Ice?
Valerian steel, more than 5 feet for the blade, enough steel to make 3 other swords?

Not quite, but there are other important weapons. Ice's story kinda parallels the Stark storyline itself.

will there be more wicked swords that [BLACKOUT]dont go to s**thead kids or chicks, sorry but i read what happens to "ICE"[/BLACKOUT]

Yeah the mountain's sword is all kinds of awesomeness. As important to the story as Ice? No. However
His trial by battle in book 3 is bada*s.
Oh and Brienne is no ordinary chick.

Reading A Clash of Kings,
Joffrey just gets more intolerable and Tyrion gets much more epic!
:woot:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back