Bad Robot/Jonathan Nolan Bringing "Westworld" to HBO - Part 1

The Dark Knight Rises was influenced by Charles Dickens' 1859 novel A Tale of Two Cities and you can sort of see Nolan playing with those themes a bit in Westworld as well.

So that was a wild ride. Can't believe there's only three episodes left. Main takeaways:

- I'm fascinated about what's going on with Caleb's backstory.
- I loved the music but do wish they would have gone further with the "genre" concept.
-I definitely screamed a little bit when Enrico Colantoni showed up.

I loved the first two seasons of this show. Loved them. But this season has taken a show I loved, and turned it into one of my favorites ever. When I see online reviewers "turn" on the show, it reminds me of what I saw for POI. As the show became truly special, they acted like it lost the plot. I am not sure what they expected this show to become, but part of me feels like they expected it to just stick around the parks, having kitschy fun. As opposed to actually trying to answer those big philosophical questions they presented in the first two seasons. Kind of like how I think many expected POI to just stick around as a procedural, that didn't really explore the themes so obviously presented by the premise.

Never hurts when someone appreciates T2 as much as I do, and Jonah has made that very clear over the years. :D

I could have done without seeing how those are installed, thank you very much...

I felt that scene way too much.

A bit cliche but
Dolorale’s tragic story worked for me a lot. Another fantastic acting showcase from Tessa. On a shallow point, I got so much arm envy!

I’m #TeamDolores on this one. I’m glad she brought up the hypocrisy in Maeve’s actions. With Dolorale “killing” Hector, who’s the other host that’s almost done?
ETA: Reddit has clues that it’s Clementine.

Was totally bored with the William stuff...

Very much looking forward to the Caleb stuff next week. :awesome:

William, my boys!

"If you can't tell... does it matter?"

William might be my favorite character. That voice, that music, that line delivery... I love Ed Harris.

I loved this episode. Might be my favorite of the season? That final scene was haunting.

God damn that final scene was crazy. Really awesome episode with Tessa Delores kicking all kinds of ass towards the end and the stuff with Ed Harris was just fantastic IMO. Really loved the little cameos in this episode, especially seeing
Johnathan Tucker
just randomly pop up again like he always seems to do in these shows lol.

So for me that was one of the weaker two episodes of the season. After what felt like a few weeks of consistency moving the story forward after episode 2 (the other option for weakest for me), this episode kind of stopped the show dead again, to go back to a more park type storyline. And they kind of did it with three characters, and I wasn't the biggest fan. That said a weak episode of WW is like a weak episode of Justified. Still better then 99% of television.

- Opening scene is the worst this show has ever looked.

- I forgot about William’s hand somehow. Ouch.

- I love how awesome, understanding and hot black husbands are on great HBO shows. :hehe:

- Especially when married to incredibly awesome and beautiful women. :atp:

- “I won’t let our future be decided by a machine.”
PsjT4wh.gif

- Pneumatic tubes… I am starting to think these guys watched that crappy CBS show.

- Telores has basically turned into Maeve. That poor digital soul.

- Can I be Evan Rachel Wood’s?

- If Telores kills Dolores, there will be hell to pay!

- Little William looks like the little *****e I always knew he would be! He’s live action Bart Simpson… and William has been played by Jimi Simpson! :eek:

- How did I end up liking Sizemore again? Because he really shouldn’t put a smile on my face, and yet here we are.

- Telores’ robot walk really is the worse. :hehe:

- Telores has clearly seen the Wayne Brady episode of the Chappelle Show. That or Asylum.

- Are we about to find out about the gay relationship William had with the third best Justified villain?

- WILLIAM, THIS IS YOUR LIFE!!!!

- Xerxes lives!

- Maeve right now:
66ohMxU.gif

- Maeve brings back naked Dolores in Kate Mara's wig from FF. On second thought, maybe Maeve ain’t that bad…

- How much do you have to hate yourself to imagine your father-in-law to run your own personal intervention?

- 69 year old Ed Harris walking around in a onesie is definitely a mood.

- That’s right Falores, Maeve is one to talk!!! :argh:

- Falores:
0GgkdDn.gif

- Everyone in that conference is totally about to die.

- And this is why Dolores hid the Forge. The only one about dat life and by dat life, I mean saving her people!

- Elevator, awkward stares…
QawPoQ9.gif

- Wait, wrong Marvel franchise.

- Even though she is the one who saved her daughter!!!

- My Dolores is a schemer! :atp:

- I just realized Dolores proper has only been in this episode by phone call so far. No wonder it sucks!!!

- Xerxes does not live!!!

-The pearls are far more squishy then I thought they’d be.

- Those are some fine pants, Telores.

- First Dolores wrecking house, now Telores…
0SsMc1X.gif

- Guys, I am starting to think there might be something wrong with William.

- I like how he killed all his other selves pro wrestling style.

- Too bad we didn’t get to see him murder his little self. That would have been classic.

- William I can guarantee you one thing. You are not the good guy.

- What are the chance is that is actually what we saw with William at the end of season 2?

- I always like seeing more of the creation of the host. Always neat.

- I like how Telores is living out her Jurassic Park and World fantasies, driving her family during this disaster.

- I honestly didn’t see that coming... until she repeated herself.

- She is totally going to walk out Liquid Metal style.

- Okay, less Liquid Metal, more Robocop villain after an acid bath.

- I know we are suppose to think it is Serac, but what if that was Dolores, severing Telores from her connections? That would be the first evil thing she actually did, and would tie to the idea of why they needed those emotions. Because she is about to go Man on Fire!

- Next week’s episode is brought to you by Metal Gear Solid 4!

- I forgot to mention this last week, as I didn’t do one of these. But Aiden Pearce not just being a random dude felt obvious to me at the start of the season. Like his friend he talked to wasn’t even real obvious. But I dismissed it because I thought it felt too obvious! They got me again. Last week with the editing plus all they have done to the host and VR, that seemed to confirm it. He totally killed Veronica Mars dad!

I liked William's backstory in this episode. Great acting but Ed Harris and I'm always happy to see Jimmi Simpson again. I miss Willores before we knew the truth.

Tessa Thompson has been excellent this season and this was her best episode. The ending was absolutely heartbreaking though. I wish that didn't happen.

I sure do have a craving for Robocop and Terminator after that episode.
Literally every episode this season but the second for me. Though I do think it is pretty clear which Terminator they prefer. :hehe:

I felt that scene way too much.

A bit cliche but
Dolorale’s tragic story worked for me a lot. Another fantastic acting showcase from Tessa. On a shallow point, I got so much arm envy!

I’m #TeamDolores on this one. I’m glad she brought up the hypocrisy in Maeve’s actions. With Dolorale “killing” Hector, who’s the other host that’s almost done?
ETA: Reddit has clues that it’s Clementine.

Was totally bored with the William stuff...

Very much looking forward to the Caleb stuff next week. :awesome:

Like I've mentioned before, after episodes on Hulu, they always have a short BTS of the episode before they show the preview of the next one.

In the BTS, a producer called Hale "Halores."

EDIT: I paused right when "Halores" was mentioned and didn't see the caption below. It was Lisa Joy herself that said "Halores."

Not my favorite episode of the season for sure, but still great.

-Ed Harris and Ed Harris and Ed Harris and Jimmi Simpson was great. Getting surprise Mary Lightly in my shows is always a plus.

-Also, William, how in the world have you come away from all this and decided - "Ya'know what? I'm the good guy!"

wrong-gif.gif

-Yes, Tessa Thompson's arms are indeed exquisite. And her acting in this episode is off the charts. I kind of expected her to take a step back as her Hollywood fame grows, but she has been all in and taking it to a new level this season.

-Vincent Cassel would have KILLED as Vargo Hoat if they hadn't cut him from GOT.

-Hector, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! That's it. This is unforgivable. Dolores must die.

-No fulfillment for that brutal tease of Elias last week was painful.

-Also, we have gone WAY too long without Stubbs and Bernard. Seeing them work with William should be... interesting. Gotta earn those "good guy" points somehow, I guess.

'Westworld' Renewed for Season 4 at HBO
The renewal, per sources, was part of Joy and Nolan's larger payout as part of their nine-figure overall deal the duo signed with Amazon last year. While the married showrunners will create new projects for Amazon, the deal included upfront payment for their services as showrunners on Westworld for what sources say will be its final three seasons (taking it to season six).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"