BvS Batman casting thread for Man Of Steel 2 - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact they're okay with him being in Chris Nolan's upcoming movie is probably a good sign that the "battle" would be won.

Maybe. There's a difference between that and putting him as the face of their money making franchise. But, honestly...I think he'd be fine. I'm confident they'd get their guy anyways. I just think WB would make it harder than it'd need to be for them.

Man, if age wasn't an issue...I'd be happy with Jim Caviezel.

jim-caviezel.jpg

Last edited:
We all seem to want a more Conroy-esque approach to the new Batman. But it doesn't mean that's what we're going to get. Because it's not animation or the comics, so these types of casting might keep going. Keaton not having the hair or build for Bruce Wayne. Bale not having the perfect jaw. Gosling or Bentley not having the deepest voice like we imagine Bruce having.

If they can get closer to the comics and Conroy then awesome. But im not counting on it. I just want a damn good actor who has range and can pull off Bruce Wayne/Batman in a new interpretation.

Yeah, they altered it in TDK and (I think) TDKR. Not sure why. It was great in BB other than maybe that "It's what I do" scene.

I still think it was good throughout most of the other two films; it only bothered me in scenes where he was yelling or when they hampered him with stupid lines ("This city showed you that it's filled with people who belieeeeeve in gooooooooood.")

Ah, the brilliant Jonah Nolan, who writes dialogue that's SO much better than Goyer's. :whatever:
Well that was great dialogue. Dialogue had nothing to do with that, it was line delivery and voice alteration in post-production.

Well that was great dialogue. Dialogue had nothing to do with that, it was line delivery and voice alteration in post-production.

Come on man, really? No actor could have made that line work. It was as bad as the "hockey pads" line or "You'll be in a padded cell forever!"

I don't know why, but they gave Batman all the worst lines in TDK.

Come on man, really? No actor could have made that line work. It was as bad as the "hockey pads" line or "You'll be in a padded cell forever!"

I don't know why, but they gave Batman all the worst lines in TDK.

The hockey pads line IMO was pretty awesome.

Jawlines, eye color, hair...I agree....NONE of this will be taken into consideration until later when they have to create a cowl for the actor. It's all irrelevant. Only hardcore fans care about this stuff and honestly the fans aren't really why these movies are made. Theyre made because the studios want money, tailor made for the general audiences not fanboys, and if the director is passionate himself and puts in what HE wants to put into a superhero movie.

Physique is also not a big issue. It's an issue. Only Bale got his role as a skinny man coming off of The Machinist cuz he's friggin Bale! And he has the dedication to bulk up. But they don't have to look like Joe Manganiello once they walk into a screentest. If they look average and it's months away from production, then it's fine. They hire trainers. As long as they're average in build.

The casting is all about intensity, dynamics as an actor (3 sides to a character people, not 1, Adkins should wake up from a Batman casting dream and apologize to WB just for dreaming it). It's all about box-office potential too. A bomb few years ago might mean nothing like Gyllenhaal and Prince Of Persia, but Armie Hammer for example JUST bombed really bad in Lone Ranger. Theyre casting now-ish. So that's never happening. Thank God anyway because he has zero intensity.

This is why Gosling and Bentley are big contenders. No matter what people say about this guy's voice, blah blah. It means nothing.

He has it in him more than anyone else suggested. Don't know what you're saying man!
Um... this is a superhero film... one of the tests is in the costume! Every superhero movie has the actor test in costume to see if they can pull off the costume, it is not easy and not everyone can do it. Cavill won the role in large part because he rocked the costume.

You must be kidding. The look is extremely important while casting these characters. Jesse Eisenberg is a young Oscar nominated actor but he won't be auditioning right? Why? Because he doesn't have the right look.

The physique or proof of physique is also important. They definitely look at such things. Film is a visual medium and specially superhero films are visual, you have to embody the character, and the look is one of the most important things.

Murphy actually tried out for Batman but he obviously didn't get the job. In the end, Nolan liked him so much, so he cast him as Scarecrow.

I know. That's why i suggested it. :woot:

Solid acting prowess and stage presence are, of course, paramount. For once, though, I'd like to see Batman/Bruce Wayne appear much like he does in the comics. When it comes to Superman actors like Cavill or Reeve, it's not uncommon to hear people say thinks like, "Look at that jaw. It's like he stepped right out of the comics!!!" And I want to hear people say the same thing about the new Batman if at all possible.

In light of the fact they're rebooting the franchise much earlier than many of us on here anticipated, why not indulge the purist perspective a little? It's not like we're actually involved in the casting process anyhow.

As for Bale, my opinion isn't really based on any previous Batman incarnation on film. Although he was the best live-action Batman to date, he still wasn't the definitive version of the character in my eyes. That said, I'm entirely focused on the future of "the dark knight", devoid of any baggage -- good or bad.

I have a feeling purists will get disappointed again, like they were with Superman in Man of Steel.

All I want out of the new Bruce Wayne/Batman is for him to be different from the Bale or Keaton Batman. If you have an actor with a style as distinct as Gosling, thats a real possibility. If you get a 2nd tier actor, he'll be a puppet of the director/writer or will simply imitate Bale.

Im tired of villains being more interesting then Bruce Wayne/Batman. I want a Bruce Wayne/Batman that stands out as different, with loads of charisma. He needs to be the flagship character of the new DC cinematic universe. Superman/Clark Kent cannot be that character. He is too much of a boyscout. DC needs an Iron man like Bad ass that has loads of charisma.

After watching Gosling in this scene I believe he can be that character

I have a feeling purists will get disappointed again, like they were with Superman in Man of Steel.

I said I don't see why we can't indulge that type of perspective a little. There's a difference. :yay:

Superman, in MOS, was the closest live-action incarnation of the character to date in my opinion. He was awesome. The Donner/Lester version, on the other hand, benefited from deus ex machina-like powers (e.g., time travel, memory loss inducing kisses, etc.) bestowed upon him by lazy writers so as to get him out of sticky situations. That Superman also performs a number of questionable deeds like seeking and carrying out revenge on the bully who assaults him in an earlier altercation as well as tossing a powerless Zod into a bottomless pit. In sharp contrast, when Man of Steel's Clark is put in a similar situation with a bully, he refrains from taking advantage of the situation even though he clearly has the power to literally rip the guy a new A-hole. Rather than hurt him, he just takes out his frustration on the bully's truck. And with the Zod killing scene, it was written in a way where he clearly had no choice in stopping the living embodiment of a lethal weapon. So, I have no idea why full-on purists would have a problem with Snyder-Supes, aside from hating the fact that he lost the red trunks.

Last edited:
what if cavill plays batman?. yes. batman. everyone keeps suggesting actors that look like cavill...i say why not cast him in both roles? he'd have great chemistry with himself.

Um... this is a superhero film... one of the tests is in the costume! Every superhero movie has the actor test in costume to see if they can pull off the costume, it is not easy and not everyone can do it. Cavill won the role in large part because he rocked the costume.

You must be kidding. The look is extremely important while casting these characters. Jesse Eisenberg is a young Oscar nominated actor but he won't be auditioning right? Why? Because he doesn't have the right look.

The physique or proof of physique is also important. They definitely look at such things. Film is a visual medium and specially superhero films are visual, you have to embody the character, and the look is one of the most important things.

Agreed. I think detail is especially important to a guy like Zack Snyder. He even said as much. All one needs to do is look at Cavill as Superman for proof of such.

Maybe. There's a difference between that and putting him as the face of their money making franchise. But, honestly...I think he'd be fine. I'm confident they'd get their guy anyways. I just think WB would make it harder than it'd need to be for them.

Man, if age wasn't an issue...I'd be happy with Jim Caviezel.

jim-caviezel.jpg

Jim Caviezel already plays Batman in Person of Interest, which is actually written by Jonah Nolan. Yep, doesn't it suck when age gets in the way?

Bentley was a popular choice back during the Batman: Intimidation Game days. My only gripe with him at the time was that he had a ridiculously youthful face for his age. That no longer appears to be a problem.

Bentley was a popular choice back during the Batman: Intimidation Game days. My only gripe with him at the time was that he had a ridiculously youthful face for his age. That no longer appears to be a problem.

That was precisely why he started using drugs in the first place -- to make himself look a bit more haggard, thus older, so that he could one day portray the dark knight on film. It was his plan all along! :o

Are you saying...he used prep time?

Oh I didn't know that. He's the PERFECT age now. I would agree with the haters if he was young like back then, because he just didn't have that face or was too skinny so I could never see Bruce. Maybe Grayson. But now it just fits. Plus he would bulk more which would be intense.

I really hate to say it but I could totally see Bentley being cast.

It's not that I think he'd be bad, he's just not who I'd personally want. But he certainly checks off multiple boxes.

you know what, wes Bentley is actually a really good choice. I haven't thought of it before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"