Batman Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kilmer would've made great dark Batman film....

FilmoBatmanForever_L14.jpg

Damn how low was kidman ducking in this pic? Im pretty sure she's the same height as Kilmer.

Ehh that didn't really bother me. The character was still pretty accurate. I think him being a young adult opens up some other avenues too.

Could you really see a 12 year old Robin having that convo with Bruce about revenge? And Dick being like "You can't stop me." and Bruce simply replies "I CAN stop you..." that scene was bad ass.

agreed that was badass :awesome:

Damn how low was kidman ducking in this pic? Im pretty sure she's the same height as Kilmer.

Well you can't have a tall woman next to Batman. I think it was same for Keaton, Basinger was taller than him but they made her shoes flat so that Keaton would look taller.

Well you can't have a tall woman next to Batman. I think it was same for Keaton, Basinger was taller than him but they made her shoes flat so that Keaton would look taller.
Giving a girl flat shoes doesn't make them shorter it makes them their real hight. High heals is cheeting. So unless they gave Keaton a boost as well, Basinger is actally shorter than him but normally wears shoes to make her taller.

Kilmer is 6' and Kidman is 5'10, so they are not the same height, but I'm sure they exageratted the difference in that particular picture.

I find that BF had the right amount of action & drama, with all the right nods to the comics and to comic books in general. Unlike TDK, we got to see a Two-Face who was divided & obsessed with duality, not Harvey Dent pissed off & scarred. Now sure, they injected too much humor into the character, especially when, as Ace pointed out, he started off beautifully with that "Counting on the winged avenger" line. (I think a true representation of Two-Face would lie somewhere in-between Jones & Eckhardt.) Now the whole "brain-wave manipulator" angle was a little out there, sure-a bit more sci-fi than the Batverse had ever been. And then we had the elaborate villain lair, complete with deathtraps, a mega-box receiver antenna, logos everywhere and a holographic floor! Wild and outlandish, sure, but fun. I might also point out that this was the only movie in the franchise that offered us a plausible, logical motive for the villains to team up; each had something the other wanted, BESIDES a hatred of Batman. And let's be fair, it's not like the Burton installments were completely devoid of camp. Not with Joker taking center stage and pranking people to death. Not with Penguin being present and Catwoman doing all that damn monologuing. "In order to destroy Batman we must first turn him into what he despises most; namely us."
Many of us argue that the movie gets unfairly paired with B& R. But to an extent this is justifiable. Fans and neophites alike flocked to see this movie, resulting in WB giving Schumacher carte blanche to do whatever he wanted with the follow-up. So what did we get? More nipples. More zoom-in butt shots. More wisecracks. More gratuitous More neon and color and bizarre set designs, transforming Gotham into an utterly unliveable city. More of everything we didn't like about BF, magnified 1,000 fold. I'm not saying Schumacher's first Bat-outing was by any means golden, nor that it was on par with the Nolan films. (Kilmer's performance aside; I feel like he was hired to play the Caped Crusader and wanted to play the Dark Knight.) But it was and (IMO) still is highly enjoyable.

Is Batman Forever the best Batman movie? No. Is it the worst? No. I liked it but the thing I enjoyed the most was Jim Carrey, I thought he was a very good Riddler! The movie felt like a comic book had come to life, instead of realistic interpretations. But unfortunately Batman & Robin has damaged my views of this movie.

BF has enjoyable moments more than B&R. The villains in BF I don't know how to say this (made more sense) I love performances of Val Kilmer, Tommy Lee Jones, Jim Carre and, Nicole Kidman than I did with B&R cast. BF doesn't look there is too much going if you know what I mean.

As much as I can appreciate Batman Forever (and i do REALLY like it)... I simply cannot stomach thier take on Two-Face.

Even when I was aged 5, when the movie came out... thanks to Batman: The Animated Series, I knew something was wrong.

-Bad writing
-Bad direction
-Bad acting
-Bad costume
-Bad make-up

I honestly dont know what they were trying to acheive with the character.

As much as I can appreciate Batman Forever (and i do REALLY like it)... I simply cannot stomach thier take on Two-Face.

Even when I was aged 5, when the movie came out... thanks to Batman: The Animated Series, I knew something was wrong.

-Bad writing
-Bad direction
-Bad acting
-Bad costume
-Bad make-up

I honestly dont know what they were trying to acheive with the character.

Trying to make him less frightening for the little kids and interfering parents.

Trying to make him less frightening for the little kids and interfering parents.

Well in doing so... they made him less interesting for the kids as well.

Their eyes were all fixed on what funny things Jim Carrey would do next.

Yea after the outrage following Batman Returns I wouldn't be surprised if that played a part in Two Face being more "funny and hysterical" rather than cold and psychotic.

If they wanted kid-friendly, why did they go with a tragic villiain with a charred face?

like Doc Ock said...not the best,not the worst....

i liked:

the Batsuit...i still consider the "normal" version to be the best one in the movies,so far...

the action...for the most part,it was pretty good...

Dick Grayson / Robin ....a combination of Dick Grayson and Jason Todd,with Tim Drake's costume...like they covered al the bases at once! :woot:

Nicole Kidman....christ,she was super hot in this movie!

the Batcave...not the super-duper neon tech of B & R ,but not the dank,dungeon looking ones of Batman and BR...had a nice mixture of elements..

didn't like:

Two-Face...what more can be said...a more restrained performance could've made all the difference...

Riddler..sadly,i had hopes...initially,he looked quite interesting...a Bruce Wayne stalker,who once spurned by his idol goes on a destructive rampage to not only try to destroy Bruce Wayne,but also attempt to take his place as well...hints of this were throughout...but,alas,we mostly just got caffeine-high Carrey...

the Batboat...specifically,Dick's using it...yeah,just hop right in,no instructions necessary!

the Ridler's Lair / Nygmatech...just completely out there,completely over the top....perhaps if it was more of a working factory,with green hues and lights underlining the place....seriosuly,how the F**K does no one else get suspicious of that damned thing!

loose ends...whatever happened to Sugar & Spice...they just run off as Nygmatech explodes,with full knowledge,i might add,of Bruce's secret identity ,considering Riddler talks about it right in front of them...

Kidman was indeed insanely hot. Probably the hottest she has ever been apart from To Die For.

My most favourite part with Bruce was in Chases office. Where hes looking at the dream protector doll,subtle,but I was moved by just those few seconds of him looking down sadly at the doll...

Kilmer was a fantastic Batman and he really was a great Bruce. He made me want to see more scenes with Bruce than Batman,lol. He just made the character really interesting,not just cause we understood more of him than we did with Michael,but more because of Val himself. The film had elements of camp with the villains (I think this was Shumacers and WB attempt to make them less frightening as Burton got a beating for that with Returns,as younger audiences and family goers were put off). But they tried to bring the more serious stuff in the scenes with Bruce,Chase,Dick,etc and I enjoyed the drama with them, more than the action between Batman and the villains actually.

i've yet to see a "perfect" Batman / Bruce...

Keaton : brought the darker,brooding,vengeful part of Bruce out ,and his Batman was more a creature of the night / urban legend type...

Kilmer : had the successful billionaire / playboy aura of Bruce Wayne down pat ,and his Batman was more of a hero than a "Dark Knight"...

Bale : has the most intense,focused Bruce - Bruce is the mask,Batman is the real person , and Batman has the gadgets and Skills to be the best fighter in the world...

one thing seriously missing is the detective part...we've seen a bit here and there,but not a full on "World's Greatest Detective"...i'd also love to see him go undercover ,in disguise as another alias,to get info and clues liek he has in the comics...

I think Kilmer's came across as the most intelligent. Apart from the blot test cock up.

But the way he spoke to Nygma at Wayne Enterprises and again at Nygma's grand unveiling of his brain wave thing he really came across as intelligent and sophisticated. Plus with all the riddle solving and that.

If they wanted kid-friendly, why did they go with a tragic villiain with a charred face?
For the same reason that they gave us a tragic introduction for Robin and a sexually aggressive love interest. They wanted kid-friendly up to a point. I would argue that at this point in time they were still trying not to alienate the fans of the previous installments while at the same time trying to appease Mothers Of America.

Great movie, although I'm not sure how it relates to this thread.:huh:

I could swear I saw a concept sketch for Two-Face, which bore the words, "Not too scary." I'm pretty sure that was the official mandate from the studio. I'll bet if Burton had his way, we would've seen something even more gruesome than the TDK Two-Face.

They deliberately made Two-Face camp. Visually frightening,but his actions were made less scary for the family customers.

Kind of like Freddy Kruger and LeatherFace,they started out as terrifying,but were made in to jokes.

If Two-Face appeared in the 60's TV show,he wouldve just been the same as Tommy Lee Jones portrayed him.

That was proven with Jim Carrey,cause he said Frank Gorshin was his primary influence and you can see it in his performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"