Batman OYL discussion thread

BATMAN : OYL is awesome, Bruce has changed alot, he's still The Badass Dark Knight from before, but he's different.

I hope 52 well shows us what happend to Bruce, Dick & Tim on their global Journey . The Quest to rediscover themselves .

This is actually the best Batman I have read, since, well... recent memory.

And this is why James Robinson is a complete and utter God in comics.

a mini about Bruce, Dick and Tim's training over the year would be good.

also i think that Batwoman is going to end up being Montoya, even though babs wearing the costume (which is a awsoem costume) would be great.

anyone know who the black guy at the end of detective #819 is?

He's the Tally Man.

He first appeared against Azbats in Knightquest: The Crusade and appeared in Batman: Prodigal when Dick Grayson was standing in for Batman.

And that's about it apart from panels here and there.

i dont think batwoman is babs and didnt didio say that barb was better left as oracle?

I like Jason Bard. I like the fact that Detective Comics has back up stories about other detective characters that ties into the main title. I like the fact that Orca had a guy who was into f**king a whale hybrid. I really love this crossover.

Yes, yes and yes Anubis. It's all so good.

This arc is great. This is the kind of stuff that got me into Batman in the first place. Also, they seem to be getting rid of quite a few C-list villains.

The ending of DC 819 promised some good stuff. Batman 653 can't get here fast enough. The resolution should be good.

Mister J said:
This arc is great. This is the kind of stuff that got me into Batman in the first place. Also, they seem to be getting rid of quite a few C-list villains.

The ending of DC 819 promised some good stuff. Batman 653 can't get here fast enough. The resolution should be good.

im nervous about this move,why would they want todo that,shouldnt they try to make them better villains? it wouldve been better tokill all the A list villains and make better use of the B and C-listers.

Anubis said:
I like Jason Bard. I like the fact that Detective Comics has back up stories about other detective characters that ties into the main title. I like the fact that Orca had a guy who was into f**king a whale hybrid. I really love this crossover.

imagine them having oral sex:down

GoldenAgeHero said:
im nervous about this move,why would they want todo that,shouldnt they try to make them better villains? it wouldve been better tokill all the A list villains and make better use of the B and C-listers.

but everybody knows the A-list villains. Why kill them off? :confused:

imagine the Joker no longer being around to be Batman's arch nemesis...or two-face, or Riddler...

GoldenAgeHero said:
There are still tons of people like Firefly, Spellbinder and Floronic Man. Plus, they can still bring back goofs like Maxie Zeus and Copperhead. People would go bat-**** (pun intended) if they starting offing top-notch villains. Getting rid of some low list guys doesn't upset things too much in the universe, but still provides some sense of legitimacy and credibility to whoever is behind all this.
Emerald Knight said:
imagine the Joker no longer being around to be Batman's arch nemesis...
Don't. Even. Think. Like. That. :( :joker:

I agree with the majority...The Batman OYL is very well written....He is still a badass Batman, just not a dukee about it. Very very good read. Poor Croc never had a chance.

Anubis said:

Jason Bard has been great during OYL, I'm interested as to how far he'll serve as Gotham's detective during the dawn. I'm also interested as to why Tally Man has suddenly been brought back.

Well, I guess he's being moved up from D list to C list seeing as some of the other guys are now dead.

All my reviews of Batman OYL thus far:

DETECTIVE COMICS #817

REVIEW:
This is it! One Year Later (OYL). This point is a new beginning for old readers but THE beginning for new readers. In terms of Batman, setting him up in OYL, they mentioned what they wanted to do with him. I didn't want to listen to their plans so I can read this freshly.

Let's go, TO THE BATMOBILE!

Story: In the year where "he" has been gone, Harvey Dent has been keeping Gotham clean the best he can. But after KGBeast's death, and the return of Poison Ivy, Gordon, back as Commissioner, goes up to the rooftops and activates the old bat signal. Upon admiring the hearing of the cheers of Gothamites, a familar voice is heard; "Hello Jim. You called, I came."

The best Batman story? The old fashion detective story. Does this have it? OH YEAH IT DOES! Despite the fact that this just a setup for the arc, this IS the Batman we are grew up on. From the old books, Batman: The Animated Series, and the current season of The Batman, this was great.

This issue still gives us some shockers to pass the time of the next couple weeks til the next chapter: KGBeast dies as stated in the story paragraph, Bullock returns after a long absense, Ivy, thought to be dead, returns, and finally Gordon is commissioner...again. I knew it was gonna happen but since this was an arc, I must've thought he was gonna be commissioner by the end of the arc. Guess not. Again, OYL for new readers too.

To end this, this was a great issue. Despite the fact it was a setup, its still good for old readers from the things like shockers to the stuff that was BATMAN. As for new readers, same thing. OYL is looking good.

RATING: 8.5/10

BATMAN #651

REVIEW:
Detective #817 opened with a setup issue for the arc. From it, we saw classic old fashioned Batman returning and we were about to see a fight with Ivy in the next one (next one being THIS one). I heard couple negetives about this issue but let's see...

Story: When the bat-signal was lit, every single person in Gotham reacted. People who love, liked, and even hate the Batman were on it as Batman & Robin fought Ivy as their batplane exploded from Ivy's plants. Inside, the changes Batman has went through even surprises Ivy. But the night isn't even doen yet....

What surprises me in this issue is Batman. He's loosen up, more trusting with his partners like Robin, and instead of before where he was very dark, he's lighten up a bit. Another thing is that while this still is the Batman we are grew up on from the old books to Batman: The Animated Series, I can't help but see that this Batman is also like the dark knight from the new The Batman.

To end this, this was still a good issue. The arc is still starting and Batman OYL is more different that isn't bad. Even if what this arc is about isn't in this issue, its still needed and good in its own right. OYL is still looking good.

RATING: 7/10

DETECTIVE COMICS #818

REVEW:
Story: Magpie is dead. Bruce is wondering about what he has planned for Robin (although we don't know what it is). While Batman and Robin fight the Mad Hatter, Harvey Dent watches them and sees they're different than what trhey like ebfore. The Two-Face comes back and urges him to come back, but he refuses. In the final moments, another villian dies...

After the last part which didn't have the "snap" (I can't think of a term for that) like in Detective #817, #818 brings it back, maybe halfway. Bruce has something planned for Tim Drake. In every solicitation, we've heard about it and even in the preview of Batman #652 its mentioned. We have no idea what it is but its about his future. Could he be the next Batman (like in the "Titans of Tomorrow"), or maybe something that we're not thinking of? We don't know.

While in a cameo previously, Jason Bard makes a appearence as Batman gives him an offer that he accepts. As Batman's detective for the day time to help the Dark Knight and for himt o know what's up when he enters the night shift. While the appearence is small, we do get to know what he is like. He's very James Bond. He sleeps with the woman who is the criminal and once he's done with her, he rats her out.

Overall, the "snap" came back. We get more into what Bruce, as the father figure, wants for two people and whatever is happening, we want to know what's going on.

REVIEW: 8/10

BATMAN #652

REVEW:
Story: Scarface and Wesker are dead. Through a security tape, Batman & Robin find that all the villians had met before including the next oen to die: Orca. After Batman and Bullock make amens, Robin goes out to fight Killer Moth while Batman goes to talk to his old friend...

With the end of this part, the story takes turn. People have been saying that Two Face is coming back and must be killing the villians. Yet, theres still no evidence to point either way. The huge mystery on why the villians are dying is one that we would have to wait to see why this is going on, but I do know that if we come up with our own explantion, it'll bite us back. Best to wait and look at the new clues as the next issues cdome in.

Batman still talks about what he wants for Robin, but its still up in the air of wha the wants. But like the murder mystery, we get clues. The big here is that he admits that through all these times he has doubted a sidekick. How this sounds, it sounds like what many assumed which is Bruce may want to legally adopt Tim Drake, like Dick Grayson, and have him become his ward. It sounds like it.

Overall, another good one. The mystery is still here and it ain't even close of finishing. We're all wondering what's going on.

RATING: 8/10

DETECTIVE COMICS #819

REVEW:
Story: Batman, Robin, Gordon, & Bullock start the seacrh for Orca. After fighting with Killer Croc, they find Orca's body. As Harvey is pushing away his Two Face side, Jason Bard tries to figure out on his side the mysteryu of the villian's deaths, with gun shooting results.

With Orca dead, the villians from that tape are all gone. Yet, with the story still going, even I'm wondering if more are on the killer's list. Two Face is still trying to bring Hravey Dent back. My theory: I believe his Two Face side did the killings in a attempt to bring Harvey back (since his body would still have to go and kill). If thats the case, then its a fight between the two mental sides.

While the first half was pure Batman, the second half was Jason Bard. Reading him, its another deterctive story in the Batman world. I'm reminded of Gotham Central, where the cops there were solving cases without the help of Batman. This is the same here but shorter and on a person who is just a detective with a Bond side of his own.

Overall, good.

REVIEW: 8/10

Anubis said:
:up: I know, it's all been so cool.

Anubis said:
Well, I guess he's being moved up from D list to C list seeing as some of the other guys are now dead.

But if you think about it, alot of the villains in the current arcs are C/D list. Magpie, Ventriloquist and Scarface, etc.

Is there really a list so we can see? I mean, people say this guys A list, this chicks C list, you'd think somebody would actually make a list for reference.

Anubis said:
Is there really a list so we can see? I mean, people say this guys A list, this chicks C list, you'd think somebody would actually make a list for reference.

Good point. It would be cool to see someone make the so-called "A, B and C lists" of the villains.

We could make some lists right here.

A List
- Joker
- Two-Face
- Mr. Freeze
- Penguin
- Ra's al Ghul

B List
- Killer Croc
- Poison Ivy
- Black Mask
- Riddler
- Hush

C List
- Magpie
- Ventriloquist/Scarface
- Mr. Zsasz
- KG Beast
- Calendar Man

Obviously they're incomplete, but I'm not really that knowledgeable on Batman's villains. I figured I'd just start you off.

Ra's al Ghul would definitely be an A-lister. Hush would be more of a B-lister.

I am not sure if Hush would fall under A list villains. He is not really a villain anyway...with what Gotham Knights did with the character...he just basically tries to piss Bruce off and crap and blames Bruce for Gotham's condition with the criminals.

Oh, I didn't read the Gotham Knights thing. The "Hush" arc certainly seemed to imply that he was intended for the big leagues of Batman's rogues gallery, though.

I edited the post to include Ra's. Can't believe I forgot him. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"