Batman: The Killing Joke animated film is coming - Part 1

I feel like the prologue would be fine if it was just its own separate story (which it pretty much is). Its the overall lack of passion in this that irritates me. Just really underwhelming... even the scene where joker finally snaps just kinda felt like "okay, that happened, whatever..."

That scene was over in three seconds, and the animation in the iconic shot was ****. What were they thinking?

The Origin of The Joker (Killing Joke vs. Under The Red Hood)

Strange, in the animated movies, he trips over into the chemical vat. In the comic books, he intentionally jumped in it.

After reading reviews before going to see it monday night, I was pretty bummed out. That said, I ended up enjoying the movie a lot. Minus the first 30 minutes. They could have done something a lot more interesting than what they did. Maybe shown the first encounter Batgirl had with The Joker or something.

I thought the voice acting was great. I didn't feel like it was off. I guess I envisioned it differently than most did in their heads? I don't know.

The music was awesome.

The animation could have been better in some spots. Why not give this movie a better budget? Why do they constantly CGI cars/buldings/etc. Yeah it's cheaper, but this is TKJ for crying out loud. Put some more effort into it. Maybe scrap the first 30 minutes and just go all out for a 35-40 minute movie. I would have accepted it.

Overall the film is probably 7.5/10 for me. If you cut the first 30 minutes a 9/10. I'm sorry, but the Batgirl plot was boring to me.

People complaining about the ending... I'm sorry, but in the comics, Batman has his hands placed on his shoulders, just like in the movie. I get why people think he killed The Joker, (him being the last one laughing) but that goes against everything the movie is setting out to be. The Joker trying to show everyone he's like him. Com Gordon wanted him brought in by the books. I just feel like it wouldn't make much sense for him to kill him. Yeah, it's an elseworld story and all.. but I don't see it. I guess it's cool the comic was more ambiguous... but I really didn't mind the ending like everyone else seems to. The laugh went on for a little too long maybe... but eh. I enjoyed the movie and definitely will buy and watch it again.

Maybe make a setting to where it cuts out the first 30 minutes on the blu ray... That'd be great for me. :D

Last edited:
I thought it was ok. I didn't care for Azzarello's original content added to the adaptation.

The new element added to Bruce and Barbara's relationship was also useless as it was irrelevant to the story from that point on. It literally lifted panel for panel the same story from the page and added no new edge to Bruce's hunt for the Joker so yeah, I've no idea what Azzarello was thinking there who previously wrote some very strong stuff. If anything it just served to make the last scene even more ****ing ludicrous.

That being said, I found the "sexist" furore over such a non entity of a moment absolutely ludicrous as well.

Positives being that the feature handled the actual adaptation of the novel very well and Hamill, well, what can one say at this point? Still top of his game at this point.

Didn't the film-makers get some fan backlash at Comic-Con?

Yes but from what I've read, and seen on watching the film, most of the hysteria was caused by the overreaction of some online journalist and in turn a heated response from Azzarello.

Storm in a teacup over something blown out of proportion.

The added original content was a little bit overdone. Could've bee a bit more streamlined. The rest was terrifically put together. Mark Hamill really blew it out of the park, particularly the Broadway-like piece. So, while not as solid an adaptation as Batman:TDKR, or Batman: Year One, still very fun and watchable.

That scene was over in three seconds, and the animation in the iconic shot was ****. What were they thinking?

Exactly. They even skipped the "average man " speech...

For a film so concerned that a straight up adaptation would be "too short", they sure did rush it.....

That was an issue alright. They never gave the TKJ story room to breathe and feel the greatness of these iconic scenes and moments. It had a rushed feel to it.

That was an issue alright. They never gave the TKJ story room to breathe and feel the greatness of these iconic scenes and moments. It had a rushed feel to it.
I think they were more concerned about pumping out their own story and setting up Oracle in the animated universe.

Funny. I thought it dragged too much. On the other hand, I agree, they skipped a lot of things they shouldn't had.

I very much appreciated how they gave extended exposure to the "carnival freaks".

I thought the scene with Barbara running from the park was weird. Mostly with the camera on her face and the animation used for it.

I thought it was ok. I didn't care for Azzarello's original content added to the adaptation.

The new element added to Bruce and Barbara's relationship was also useless as it was irrelevant to the story from that point on. It literally lifted panel for panel the same story from the page and added no new edge to Bruce's hunt for the Joker so yeah, I've no idea what Azzarello was thinking there who previously wrote some very strong stuff. If anything it just served to make the last scene even more ****ing ludicrous.

That being said, I found the "sexist" furore over such a non entity of a moment absolutely ludicrous as well.

Positives being that the feature handled the actual adaptation of the novel very well and Hamill, well, what can one say at this point? Still top of his game at this point.

They don't even follow up on it. You COULD have had her quit being Batgirl, for better reasons, and then worked that into TKJ. She gets shot by the Joker, and she sees that as proof that "Gotham won't let me walk away" and that she needs to fight back. Which sets up her ending.

Also the prologue makes her look, so small. The villain isn't interesting, his motivation are incredibly cliché, and the idea that he could manipulate/trick Barbara Gordon is not at all believable. And yeah they tacked on a "she saves Batman" moment, but it's not nearly enough. And ultimately, she does more or less what Batman wanted her to do anyway by the end, so it undercuts her there to.

It makes her WEAKER as a character, not stronger.

I don't think it was sexist, but it certainly didn't depict Barbara in the best light either.

I think it would've actually been more relevant to the story of TKJ if the prologue was more about Barbara's relationship with her father, and her being torn between being the daughter he wants her to be and her double life as Batgirl. I think there could've been some interesting stuff to explore there, and could've been done in a way as to heighten the tragedy of what happens both to her and Jim later.

Bruce Timm has a fetish for Bruce and Barbara getting it on, plain and simple. It is what it is...and it was extremely unnecessary for this movie.

Yeah I just don't get how this subplot makes her a stronger character.

Yep :up: Not sure where I would rank this one but TDKR for me is still probably at the top as the best adapted and my favorite.

I feel like the people that will enjoy this are people that haven't read the Graphic Novel. That's not a jab at people liking it because this is all subjective so if you like it then... Kudos! I'm just saying, for me it was like a brisk skim through of a great book that felt like the creators didn't really want to do it and if you've read the book then it becomes painstakingly obvious that this is just no where near as good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"