Batman: The Killing Joke animated film is coming - Part 1

I cannot get through this movie, the first twenty minutes is such a slog that I had to turn it off. Think this is gonna be one I watch in a few parts. So far though it's extremely boring.

Once you get to the actual adaption part it's not that bad but the first 20 minutes ruins the overall experience however.

Funny I just rewatched this a few days ago. The Batgirl prologue is like pulling teeth. Painful to sit through. The actual Killing Joke part still feels rushed, and the story never gives those iconic moments and scenes time to breathe. The animation is disappointing, too.

I have no real desire to rewatch this. I'd rather just read the comic, and even that might be a bit soured by this movie...

The art style is like if they took the most recent recoloring of the comic and put it behind a glass that hasn't been washed in two decades.

I still like this [the actual TKJ part], but yeah. This was pretty damned disappointing.

Once you get to the actual adaption part it's not that bad but the first 20 minutes ruins the overall experience however.

I'll look forward to getting to that point, I don't really get the choice to do what they did. I get its a short story so why not pair it with something like Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow or something? At least that way we could have had two good 30-40 minute adaptations paired together rather than a
Trying to add bulk to a story.

Funny I just rewatched this a few days ago. The Batgirl prologue is like pulling teeth. Painful to sit through. The actual Killing Joke part still feels rushed, and the story never gives those iconic moments and scenes time to breathe. The animation is disappointing, too.

That's disapointing, and yeah the animation isn't very good.

Return of the Caped Crusaders had better animation that TKJ. It fit the tone and style of the movie. This had the opportunity to do something great. Make it like the animated Spawn series..something..but no.....they went with the mundane.

Movie Bob's description of this on his worst of 2016 list made me laugh.

I guess this is a case of being careful what you wish for.

I mean honestly, did this even really need to be 77 minutes? I mean if it's slightly under 60 minutes, just to make a tight, compact story, I mean so be it.

It was strictly to pad out the movie so it would be over 70 minutes. The actual TKJ comic book story is pretty short and would take maybe 30 minutes or so to tell.

I'd have been fine with a shorter movie if it was more faithful to the original story and maybe they could've done more experimental stuff with the colors and animation.

Maybe package together with another short animated story. Similar to how Marvel and Lionsgate did Hulk vs. as like a double feature.

Last edited:
^ That would've been far better than what we got, & would've allowed for them to tell two stories (they could've chosen The Man Who Laughs as the other 30 minute feature).

Honestly, the comic book has not aged well in my opinion, mainly because of its treatment of Barbara Gordon.

It's aged better than Civil War for its treatment of everything.

Sadly, the whole thing is rather souless. Prolgue & Main Story.

There's nothing "soul-less" about the story. It's a very personal message that manages to have high stakes despite not involving the entire city. Joker wants to prove underneath we're all the same by torturing Gordon physically and mentally, making him the new example to prove his theory.

TKJ has aged very well, imo. Still one of the best Batman/Joker stories and one of the best comic books period. The animated version just failed to deliver. Again, imo.

The animated version just failed to deliver.
Definitely sure that's what he's referring to because no matter how good the actual source is, they've adapted it in a way that's awkward and hacked to pieces. By far, one of the most dull DC animated features I've seen.

There's nothing "soul-less" about the story. It's a very personal message that manages to have high stakes despite not involving the entire city. Joker wants to prove underneath we're all the same by torturing Gordon physically and mentally, making him the new example to prove his theory.

TKJ has aged very well, imo. Still one of the best Batman/Joker stories and one of the best comic books period. The animated version just failed to deliver. Again, imo.

I meant the way it's presented, the film as such, not the dynamics or quality of the original basis of story.

Ah, okay. My mistake there.

In that case, I have to agree. In addition to all of that, I won't ever be okay with the Batman/Batgirl situation. Just creepy & completely unnecessary.

Ah, okay. My mistake there.

In that case, I have to agree. In addition to all of that, I won't ever be okay with the Batman/Batgirl situation. Just creepy & completely unnecessary.

Aye, he is effectively having 'fun time bang bang' with his pseudo step son's girlfriend (if one were to follow canon)

I just saw this on Netflix. Did not like it very much. I agree with others that it didn't have the soul of the original.

I watched this when it very first came out.
The Bruce Wayne/Barbara Gordon relationship was just awkward.
Nothing was right about that, at all.

Overall, though, I can say that I enjoyed it.
Still, it's not something that I've had the urge to watch again.

I think the mixed response to The Killing Joke is very telling about the quality of the source material. It simply isn't that good of a story. Prologue aside, the film follows it closely, so I feel much of the consensus about it not living up to the book is down to people remembering the comic as being better than it actually was.

I genuinely preferred the prologue to the rest of the film. When I first heard about the Batman/Batgirl pairing, I was as confused as anyone. Seeing it in the context of the film, it made sense to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"