Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns Animated - Part 1

Movie Version Of Frank Miller’s The Dark Knight Returns In The Works!
Submitted by Brendon Connelly on April 14, 2011 – 2:54 pm

It’s going to get rather crowded out there, with alternative Batmen cropping up left, right and centre. We’ll barely be over Christian Bale* when a reboot will see another lucky young man dropped into the role, and there are plans for another, different Bats to appear in a Justice League feature. Add to this the various animated Batmen, from Kevin Conroy, Diedrich Bader and Bruce Greenwood.

Too much Batman? Or never enough?

Well, I think there’s always going to be room for The Dark Knight Returns, don’t you?

Bleeding Cool have heard from multiple sources (enough with the multiples already) that work is underway on a movie adaptation of Frank Miller and Klaus Janson‘s classic The Dark Knight Returns. As you might have guessed, however, this is to be an animated adaptation, much like the recent All Star Superman or in-the-works Year One.

Fittingly, Year One will come along first, but DKR is already in the early stages of development. According to our sources, several veterans of Batman toons past will be on the crew list, though we’re still trying to confirm who is writing and directing the film.

It would be sheer guesswork to try and determine when this might make it to the screen, but it isn’t going to be anytime soon. Here’s hoping they do it right.
I just messed my pants! :woot:

Who's that on the bottom right corner tho... is it Death?

on the Batman/Horse statue? Yes, it is Death from Sandman. It is those collectible things you put from one side to another of your book collection of said series, and in this case, the Sandman series with Dream on one side and Death on another.

Just watched this tonight and was blown away by it. Much better than Year One. In fact, I'm going to say this was the best animated Batman film I've ever seen.

I loved the entire bit about Bruce suppressing Batman. I loved the way it was all portrayed - the murder, the bat etc. Loved it.

Didn't think I would enjoy the back-to-basics Batman. Having been brought up on 80s Batman and Nolan's Batman, I'm used to Bats having lots of gadgets so was a little lost when he didn't have a grapple gun. But you know what? It worked. It seemed to make him....more dangerous. It has really made me rethink about the Batsuit which I've always thought should be armoured. Have always hated the cowl in Returns - forehead is short (almost like an ape) and the ears aren't long enough.

I wasn't massively overwhelmed by the comic. It had a good basic plot line but I really didn't get on with the multiple news reports/discussions though I understood their use. The film has so much less of it, which means it flows better IMO.

Weller was great as Batman.

Can't wait for part 2.

Conan O'Brien Voicing TDKR Part 2

It's cool that he brings up his love for animation, given that he started out writing on The Simpsons.

j17fyb.jpg

Just curious...what were peoples gripes with Year One? Was gonna watch it soontimez, but now I don't know...

Last edited:
I loved Year One, It's definitely on a the better side of the DC direct to video animated films. I can't wait for Part 2 to come out so I can marathon Year One and TDKR pt 1 & 2.

- Doesn't capture the feeling of the comic as well as it could have. It looks cleaner than it should.
- Ben McKenzie was very wooden as Bats. He was going for something in the performance but it just comes of as flat.
- The narration and time stamps don't work as well on the screen.

But... Bryan Cranston was awesome AND all that rambling said, it's still very good and worthy of your time.

My fav Bat animated movie (That's not MOTP) is still Red Hood, I actually think it's better than the comic

Went to the panel at NYCC. Part 2 Looks awesome and epic. Coco sounded pretty good too. Andrea Romano said that Coco nailed his "poisoned by Joker's gas laugh" in one take

Just curious...what were peoples gripes with Year One? Was gonna watch it soontimez, but now I don't know...

I believe most of the complaints stem from the fact that the film lacked the blood of the original comic. Also, the film is largely a panel for panel translation rather than an adaption of the source material. Overall, it was a well done production. One of DC's best animated features.

Woah! Did anyone catch the Reeve/Superman poster from the trailer?!

- Doesn't capture the feeling of the comic as well as it could have. It looks cleaner than it should.
- Ben McKenzie was very wooden as Bats. He was going for something in the performance but it just comes of as flat.
- The narration and time stamps don't work as well on the screen.

But... Bryan Cranston was awesome AND all that rambling said, it's still very good and worthy of your time.

Exactly. It's boring and never gripping like it was in the comics. It shows that a panel to panel adaptation can be dull and boring.

That's why they made the right choice in TDKR, when they didn't use the voice over for instance.

I guess creating the Flaming C with Bruce Timm a while back is what got Conan the job.

Cool thanks, Too me The Dark Knight Returns Superman looks like a bad Elvis impersonator, even in the comic.

P.S Why isn't there a thread for "Superman: Unbound" yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"