• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

BvS Batman v Superman Moves To March 2016

I really got annoyed with the "news" websites twisting the angle about BvS being a potential flop scared of Captain America :rolleyes: Typically when a movie moves up, the production is going well. None of that angle got played of course because of the DC vs Marvel war. :mad:

Exactly, we should just be content we're getting exciting movies!

tumblr_mxh4i2zyUn1qdsm1jo1_500.gif

If u read my comments I did
I just responded to someone that's all......
New subject:::::
I believe that's August 8 is JL
How's about u

Two months earlier huh? Well, that's nice... I guess. It's still a long wait though.

I was really hoping for 2015. :csad:

Two months earlier huh? Well, that's nice... I guess. It's still a long wait though.

I was really hoping for 2015. :csad:

Hey we get what we get, plus we're gonna get more DC films in the long run!

I really got annoyed with the "news" websites twisting the angle about BvS being a potential flop scared of Captain America :rolleyes: Typically when a movie moves up, the production is going well. None of that angle got played of course because of the DC vs Marvel war. :mad:

I hear yall... it's the only way articles get people to read it and get hits... The oh they screen or Cap scare them away BS...

I hear yall... it's the only way articles get people to read it and get hits... The oh they screen or Cap scare them away BS...

Lol I can't believe that
Cap is a good franchise but not good enough to complete with Batman and Superman.
now an ironman/captain america movie could but a person would either have to be really stupid or just plan out insane if they think Cap had a chance to win that weekend

Good spot for the film to be in. As many have said, they have plenty of room to make money.

Now about that release schedule...

It indicates that WB is willing to work around Marvel's flags for the next six years. They could've claimed May and July 2020, but instead they booked April and mid-June for that year.

The spring dates for 2018, 2019, and 2020 means they're making that spot the new good-luck spot (ala mid-July from 2007-2013) that's worked so well for them. And the fact that they booked August 5, 2016 means they're fully adopting Marvel's off-season strategy for the years to come.

The SHH comments page on Fellman explaining the date change is still rife with those (not to mention El Maybe is of that mindset too). It makes me sick.

If anything, the Marvel fanboys should be angry BvS is coming out before CA3. Not cheering because Disney 'won' the May 6, 2016 date.

If BvS didn't move, Cap would have. If Cap moved first, it could have gotten a huge bump from coming out first. I think WB was right on with pulling the trigger first.

If BvS didn't move, Cap would have. If Cap moved first, it could have gotten a huge bump from coming out first. I think WB was right on with pulling the trigger first.

I think they would have dragged it out for another year before moving.

If Marvel noticed that nice 4-6 week "window" beginning with the last weekend of March, they may have eventually moved it. It's hard to say. It would likely depend on Chris Evans' schedule and how willing he is to start the third film sooner than later. If he's doing something else, they have to wait. They just barely wrapped Age of Ultron.

Personally speaking, I'm glad we're getting BvS sooner. Superhero films and genre films in general should never have concurrent release dates.

Marvel is on a time crunch as it is with Captain America 3. They began negotiations with the directors this past January, and secured the deals in April. The movie is still in script development phase, and the movie likely won't shoot until early next year.

Marvel Studios could conceivably fast-track CA3 for March 2016, but I doubt they're going to do it. They'd have to pay through the nose to make sure the VFX vendors finish on time and have a rushed product overall. And we know how frugal Marvel tends to be, they're going to want to make CA3 on time and on budget.

The fight is over. WB/DC and Disney/Marvel should be happy with the move.

If Marvel noticed that nice 4-6 week "window" beginning with the last weekend of March, they may have eventually moved it. It's hard to say. It would likely depend on Chris Evans' schedule and how willing he is to start the third film sooner than later. If he's doing something else, they have to wait. They just barely wrapped Age of Ultron.

Marvel "elevated" Evans in terms of "star" status, but he still moves when and where Marvel wants him to. He doesn't have that kind of "sway" with Marvel to delay such a big production once it's ready to go ahead -- the only one who possibly does, at this point, is Downey, Jr.

(We saw what happened to Norton when he tried to exercise his "star power"...)

:word:

I never got why studios shunned away from a huge Spring release. Even big epic R-rated films like 300 aside, why not? You got Spring Break. Kids in college are taking exams that first weekend in May, and that is a primary demographic. You also got high school and middle school kids that need something to look forward to after the Holidays besides waiting for the year to be over and inch ever closer to summer. Adults pretty much have their fixed schedules, but surely most are less likely to be on vacation in March as opposed to somewhere like mid-July or August, no? Am I missing something? People aren't traveling or doing anything huge in late March.

Holidays is just loaded with competition. I think WB made an awesome move. Look for them to move their primary young adult franchises to November or March from now on, during the school year, to get kids hyping them at naseum. I think we will see the new Rowling series capture those dates. I see DC films being dispersed throughout the year, with Justice League being the only prime summer release.

Marvel "elevated" Evans in terms of "star" status, but he still moves when and where Marvel wants him to. He doesn't have that kind of "sway" with Marvel to delay such a big production once it's ready to go ahead -- the only one who possibly does, at this point, is Downey, Jr.

(We saw what happened to Norton when he tried to exercise his "star power"...)

:word:

You do have a point. He's become more interested in directing so I wasn't sure how much "free time" he had before CA3 begins shooting.

Marvel is on a time crunch as it is with Captain America 3. They began negotiations with the directors this past January, and secured the deals in April. The movie is still in script development phase, and the movie likely won't shoot until early next year.

Marvel Studios could conceivably fast-track CA3 for March 2016, but I doubt they're going to do it. They'd have to pay through the nose to make sure the VFX vendors finish on time and have a rushed product overall.

I really don't think they'd do that to themselves. Iron Man 2 was a rush job, and after the underwhelming reception Thor: The Dark World got, they don't need yet another solo hero thread to hit a pothole. Not to mention lose piles of dollars because it certainly won't outgross BvS.

Thor: The Dark World's legs were cut short by Catching Fire two weeks after, and then Frozen took a chunk of the business the following weekend. I would say T:TDW was in a similar situation to what MOS encountered last summer: big opening weekend but competition cut into its subsequent weekends.

The only film(s) that will open with BVS on March 25, 2016 will be counter programming films geared at older audiences and/or female audiences who don't want to see WW play second fiddle to Superman and Batman.

One really good thing I take away from all this is that WB learned a little something about having their legs cut out from under them by subsequent releases. What happened to MOS is almost unprecedented for a high profile CBM. The worst part is how often it's under stated.

Anyways, a 4-6 week window is a license to print money for a big film like this. Avengers somewhat fell into the circumstance with may of 2012 and a few big winter releases do it occasionally(james cameron in particular). TWS as well. If they play this right, the open weeks of comp are going to drive that total to it's max potential. Being the first big even that year won't hurt either, though it's easy to become yesterday's news(and a bluray release) by mid summer. I assume StarWars will be on it's final legs at that point.

If they play this right, the open weeks of comp are going to drive that total to it's max potential. Being the first big even that year won't hurt either, though it's easy to become yesterday's news(and a bluray release) by mid summer. I assume StarWars will be on it's final legs at that point.

Avatar started winding down in February 2010, and was tapped out by late March (it already made $738M by the weekend BVS will open on). Unless Episode VII really knocks it out of the park, I can't see it managing a 10X multiplier either. It's going to make a crapload of money just because it's Star Wars, but it'll likely wind down before then.

And right now, the only serious competition against BVS in March is former partner Legendary and Universal's Warcraft (which opens two weeks prior) and then Allegiant - Part 1 the week before. Then you have Disney's new animated movie at the beginning of the month, but that's more of a leggy long-term thing.

DC has budged. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice has moved from its May 6, 2016 release date and will now open on March (yes, March) 25, 2016.

http://www.slashfilm.com/batman-v-superman-release-date-move/

dang, i cant believe i missed this post :doh: (then again its been a busy few weeks for me). so WB/DC budged first huh? oh well, i was hoping it was the other guy--since WB reserved that date FIRST. but hey March aint so bad, that was roughly the time the first Captain America and Hunger Games movie came out, so it should make a killing since its the only superhero movie on that date (so far)

And right now, the only serious competition against BVS in March is former partner Legendary and Universal's Warcraft (which opens two weeks prior) and then Allegiant - Part 1 the week before. Then you have Disney's new animated movie at the beginning of the month, but that's more of a leggy long-term thing.

we havent seen a thing with Warcraft, so it can go either way (hit or miss or get moved out altogether). im a fan of the Divergent series, but even if they churned the sequels out in Hunger Games type quality, im pretty sure BvS wouldnt have much to worry about. Summit on the other hand, just got nervous methinks :hehe:

dang, i cant believe i missed this post :doh: (then again its been a busy few weeks for me). so WB/DC budged first huh? oh well, i was hoping it was the other guy--since WB reserved that date FIRST. but hey March aint so bad, that was roughly the time the first Captain America and Hunger Games movie came out, so it should make a killing since its the only superhero movie on that date (so far)

Cap 1 came out in July I'm pretty sure. And Marvel had the date first.

I see both sides of this. On one hand we get to see Bats vs Supes sooner than expected. But on the other hand I don't know what DC was afraid of. As great as the last Cap movie was it didn't break 100 million in its opening weekend while past Superman and Batman films break 100 mil with ease. It would have been an interesting news story to see who would have come out on top. Dawn of Justice would have won.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"