Justice League Ciaran Hinds is Steppenwolf

I actually gave a shirt about Steppy in this cut. Pretty badass that he tried to Game Of Thrones ol’Darkseid. I’m surprised Darkseid didn’t just straight up murder his ash.

Can i just say, this for me personally was the starkest contrast between 2017 cut and 2021. Steppenwolf was a laughably bad cgi cartoon in the 2017 cut and lemme tell you, his scenes in this version are some of my favorite. Every time Steppenwolf was onscreen I was fully engaged. He was a 3 dimensional character, his cgi looked excellent (mostly) and he was f***ing THREAT. The way he wrecked the Amazons had me floored. I absolutely loved Steppenwolf in this movie.

Can i just say, this for me personally was the starkest contrast between 2017 cut and 2021. Steppenwolf was a laughably bad cgi cartoon in the 2017 cut and lemme tell you, his scenes in this version are some of my favorite. Every time Steppenwolf was onscreen I was fully engaged. He was a 3 dimensional character, his cgi looked excellent (mostly) and he was f***ing THREAT. The way he wrecked the Amazons had me floored. I absolutely loved Steppenwolf in this movie.
Totally. I couldn't look away.

Its interesting how better Steppenwolf felt in this compared to Whedons really empty villian.
And he felt a lot more dangerous too, which makes sense considering we knew his motivation and all that, which had a lot more beef to it.

Design wise at times it was way too busy for me, so much that i lost for a second sometimes the feeling where his proportions were.
It was all too shiny and metal and stuff at times.

But im in general one of the few who liked the Whedon version too.
So design wise im either way, i like both...but characterwise Snyders all the way.

I really like that video.

I still have to post the concept art though as that was fantastic. I posted this on the Justice League thread on November 19th but buried so figured this the better place to put it:

Zack Snyder Directing Justice League (The Snyder Cut Edition) See November 19th post:

upload_2020-11-19_1-11-4-png.39693

upload_2020-11-19_1-12-22-png.39696

Wideframe:
29064675_1926972827612761_1818211144498857667_o.jpg

Zoomed In:

upload_2020-11-19_1-9-54-png.39692

upload_2020-11-19_0-58-16-png.39689

upload_2020-11-19_1-11-46-png.39695

Another:
upload_2020-11-19_1-15-52-png.39697

2nd Image Released by Snyder last Summer is interesting to compare:

upload_2020-11-19_1-4-29-png.39690

Last edited:
Overall, I prefer the concept art but feel the finalized version in the movie improved upon the initial images Zach Snyder released somewhat since Steppenwolf was very dynamic visually with the lit eyes at times, different lighting, and variations in his armor.

I still like the H.R. Giger inspired drawings they had originally though. I do wonder why Snyder didn't go for that somewhat...

I'll guess the version we see in the Snyder cut is the version pre-visualized out so doing the concepts wouldn't have been possible is my guess. Still happy with what we got as WAY better than theatrical.

As I can't find a Desaad thread, here's the official head design used in the Snyder Cut. This isn't earlier concept art so is more in-line with what's seen in the film Desaad wise:

upload_2021-3-24_6-13-28.png

upload_2021-3-24_6-12-8.png

upload_2021-3-24_6-12-41.png

upload_2021-3-24_6-13-1.png

I'd love to see some of the earlier concept art with the less subtle versions...

Steppenwolf does actually have a character and motivations here. So that's an improvement. I hate his design and how his CG looks, but he is an improvement in this version. In the theatrical cut, none of what he does makes sense and they removed all connections and relations with Darkseid.

But this role was still better suited for Kalibak. He's Darkseid's actual son and it would've made the plot stronger, plus given Superman and the League a better adversary.

Just out of curiosity but anyone know when exactly DC updated Steppenwolf's look to be more so alien? I still remember the Kenner action figure from the 1980's and he just looked like a normal human and I remember the comics when he kills I believe Wonder Woman he had a somewhat similar look.

Just out of curiosity but anyone know when exactly DC updated Steppenwolf's look to be more so alien? I still remember the Kenner action figure from the 1980's and he just looked like a normal human and I remember the comics when he kills I believe Wonder Woman he had a somewhat similar look.

When Zack Snyder got a hold of him.

When Zack Snyder got a hold of him.

Thanks. It just seemed like maybe there was some added inspiration somewhere.

The dichotomy between him and Cyborg I think is definitely something to think about with the whole human/armor melding thing going on not to mention the motherboxes. Krypton technology, the mother boxes, and all these little nuances make it seem like there's a sourcepool somewhere. There's still so much to showcase.

Last edited:
Three Excalibur cast members ended up as DC villains. Ciaran Hinds as Steppenwolf, Liam Neeson as Ras Al Ghul and Helen Mirren as Hespera in the Shazam sequel.

Hinds is best friends with Neeson. Neeson dated Helen Mirren for a few years in the eighties.

- I've come to enlighten you to the great darkness. I will bathe in your fear.
- Amazons, show him your fear!
- We have no fear!

That moment is pure epicness.

Steppenwolf does actually have a character and motivations here. So that's an improvement. I hate his design and how his CG looks, but he is an improvement in this version. In the theatrical cut, none of what he does makes sense and they removed all connections and relations with Darkseid.

But this role was still better suited for Kalibak. He's Darkseid's actual son and it would've made the plot stronger, plus given Superman and the League a better adversary.

Kalibak is not really a general though. He's more a brute. Steppenwolf was there to carry out a specific plan. That's more tailored to his strengths. Kalibak wants to be something more in order to prove himself to his father, but he just isn't. I'd love to see Kalibak in the third film if there is one though. I want the Furies, I want Kalibak, I want it all, all hands on deck for the final battle.

Seems a Zack thing. Looks like he's making the Apokaliptians an alien race so there are similar features.

Kalibak is not really a general though. He's more a brute. Steppenwolf was there to carry out a specific plan. That's more tailored to his strengths. Kalibak wants to be something more in order to prove himself to his father, but he just isn't. I'd love to see Kalibak in the third film if there is one though. I want the Furies, I want Kalibak, I want it all, all hands on deck for the final battle.

would like to see kalibak if sequels if that ever becomes a thing.

datrinti fan-art:
RSbgjp96nwaSOBbW59nVN6gh-6rN2ddlvbS0kWTyEjc.jpg

Yes!

"Father! Father! We must crush them now!"

"Patience, Kalibak, patience."

"ohhhh [Kalibak pouty face]."

i actually feel sorry for kalibak like how i felt sorry for steppenwolf in this.

its like leslie jones said - everybody issue in this is they're always trying to please their dad. seek therapy! y'all need therapy!

I think they wanted to keep the likes of Kalibak and Gravyen back to use elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"