BvS Batman v Superman Moves To March 2016

Do you guys think that if Episode 7 weren't coming in Winter 2015, that they would have moved this film to that date instead?

i think so. JJ apparently wanted may 2016 as well which is funny. it's not likely to happen with cap and xmen coming out in may though. even with all the flirting between jj and zack.

Honestly, when they announce the release date for "Justice League", I'm not going to hold my breath on it being the final date since we've already had two of Snyder's DC films move their dates at least once during its production.lol

Good business move by WB's/DCE. BvS: DOJ will have 6 weeks to itself practically before Cap 3 comes out so WB's wants to maximize BO sales and profits.

I don't think it had anything to do with being "afraid" of going to head to head with Cap, because I'm confident a film with both Batman AND Superman with the intros to Wonder Woman and Aquaman would have BEAT Cap at the BO in a head to head release....without a doubt.

They are starting a new DCU brand here and they want to maximize profits and the spotlight on this baby. Plus XMen would take away profits as well 3 weeks later if they stayed in early May along with a new Alice Wonderland film.

Box Office records will broken come March 25th 2016 weekend.

Even though BvS would likely win the box office battle, it would still be reduced going up against another big movie.

Exactly...it would have beat Cap in a head to head battle. WB's/DCE want to establish their NEW DCU BRAND and MAXIMIZE BO gross and profits. A wise move actually. :word:

The Summer months starting in May have become SATURATED.

Domestically speaking:

Alice in Wonderland opened to $116 million on the weekend of March 5th 2010 (Roughly the same as Man of Steel in the summer season last year) and went on to gross $334 million.

The Hunger Games opened to $152 million on the weekend of March 23rd 2012 before going on to gross $408 million.

It's not the month. It's the movie. If you give audiences what is perceived as an event picture, then they'll come.

And it doesn't get much more event than Batman V Superman.

:applaud Yessir!

One really good thing I take away from all this is that WB learned a little something about having their legs cut out from under them by subsequent releases. What happened to MOS is almost unprecedented for a high profile CBM. The worst part is how often it's under stated.

Anyways, a 4-6 week window is a license to print money for a big film like this. Avengers somewhat fell into the circumstance with may of 2012 and a few big winter releases do it occasionally(james cameron in particular). TWS as well. If they play this right, the open weeks of comp are going to drive that total to it's max potential. Being the first big even that year won't hurt either, though it's easy to become yesterday's news(and a bluray release) by mid summer. I assume StarWars will be on it's final legs at that point.

Yup Yup. That 6 week window before Cap is due to come out will be very important for BvS:DOJ to maximize earnings domestically AND overseas.

I also don't understand why some people keep comparing MOS BO to Cap 2's BO? It's like comparing apples to peaches since MOS was an origin reboot to a bad Supes Returns film and Cap 2 was a sequel riding the coattails of Avengers movie. :doh:

Weird....:huh:

That really doesn't matter that much. The Dark World only made as much as Man of Steel and was released closer to The Avengers than The Winter Soldier was. It looks like Guardians of the Galaxy, a bunch of Z-listers, is going to outgross Man of Steel, The Dark World and The Winter Soldier.

It's just that more people wanted to see one more than the other.

That really doesn't matter that much. The Dark World only made as much as Man of Steel and was released closer to The Avengers than The Winter Soldier was. It looks like Guardians of the Galaxy, a bunch of Z-listers, is going to outgross Man of Steel, The Dark World and The Winter Soldier.

It's just that more people wanted to see one more than the other.

Looking at the numbers GOTG is gonna need a lot of help to outgross Man of Steel. As of now it has made $204 million domestically and I just dont think it is going to have the legs to make another $90 million. It has had a pretty steep (but normal) dropoff since opening weekend. ($92 million --> $40 million opening weekend to second weekend thanks to TMNT) In theory it could pass The Winter Soldier though domestically and it is going to safely pass Thor: TDW this weekend.

Worldwide, unless it has large markets to open in still there is little chance it will outgross any of them. It is at $341 million whereas MOS made $668 million. The Winter Soldier made $714 million and Thor TDW made $644 million.

None of that is a knock against any movie, just the numbers :)

Last edited:
Looking at the numbers GOTG is gonna need a lot of help to outgross Man of Steel. As of now it has made $204 million domestically and I just dont think it is going to have the legs to make another $90 million. It has had a pretty steep (but normal) dropoff since opening weekend. ($92 million --> $40 million opening weekend to second weekend thanks to TMNT) In theory it could pass The Winter Soldier though domestically and it is going to safely pass Thor: TDW this weekend.

Worldwide, unless it has large markets to open in still there is little chance it will outgross any of them. It is at $341 million whereas MOS made $668 million. The Winter Soldier made $714 million and Thor TDW made $644 million.

Maybe you should look up the release date listings before posting. . .

Maybe you should look up the release date listings before posting. . .

Maybe you should dial back the snark buddy there was a reason I worded it as such. I dont much care about release dates i was just going by the numbers.

Looking at whats left I still think it is gonna have a hard time doubling its current total to pass MOS and TDW let alone Winter soldier but we shall see. It wasnt like I was disparaging the film or anything...

Probably best to drop it since the Mods dont like Marvel discussion in this forum :)

Guardians is doing over $20 million more than Winter Soldier had by this point and is still yet to be released worldwide. It's doing great and will continue to do so.

Guardians is doing over $20 million more than Winter Soldier had by this point and is still yet to be released worldwide. It's doing great and will continue to do so.

still it is beaten down by 4 turtles. :D i kid.

I like the move to March 2016. any moving forward is a good sign to me.

btw, do you think BvS shall learn anything from GotG?

if it out-gross CA2, it will be the best selling movie in 2014 domestically!!! :wow:

GOTG is one of those great movies; winning overwhelming praise from critics as well as the audience. It was just a fun movie.

Domestically speaking:

Alice in Wonderland opened to $116 million on the weekend of March 5th 2010 (Roughly the same as Man of Steel in the summer season last year) and went on to gross $334 million.

The Hunger Games opened to $152 million on the weekend of March 23rd 2012 before going on to gross $408 million.

It's not the month. It's the movie. If you give audiences what is perceived as an event picture, then they'll come.

And it doesn't get much more event than Batman V Superman.

Look, not to be a contrarian or anything but I think a little bit of perspective is needed for those films. Alice was coming off the back of Avatar as the first major 3D film, it was essentially riding of its coat tails and was hardly considered an event movie by any standards. With Hunger Games whilst it had a big pre-built book audience it was the quality of the film that got it the box office it did. BvS may be an event film but it's still got to be a good event film, an event film gets you a decent opening weekend only.

Look, not to be a contrarian or anything but I think a little bit of perspective is needed for those films. Alice was coming off the back of Avatar as the first major 3D film, it was essentially riding of its coat tails and was hardly considered an event movie by any standards. With Hunger Games whilst it had a big pre-built book audience it was the quality of the film that got it the box office it did. BvS may be an event film but it's still got to be a good event film, an event film gets you a decent opening weekend only.

Exactly. Like I have said to friends, BvS needs to go over much more successfully with audiences as well as critics. People get very concerned about opening weekend, but that doesnt mean a whole lot when you have huge drops the following weekend (like we witnessed with MOS) and then when the movie doesnt perform nearly as well as hoped. BvS will need all the help it can muster, and for that it will need to tell a good story with solid characterization. Otherwise the new DCU is built on shaky ground.

Exactly. Like I have said to friends, BvS needs to go over much more successfully with audiences as well as critics. People get very concerned about opening weekend, but that doesnt mean a whole lot when you have huge drops the following weekend (like we witnessed with MOS) and then when the movie doesnt perform nearly as well as hoped. BvS will need all the help it can muster, and for that it will need to tell a good story with solid characterization. Otherwise the new DCU is built on shaky ground.
Then why is critically acclaimed guardians of the galaxy losing to critically panned ninja turtles for two consecutive weeks. It can not be stressed just how much the majority of the general audience doesnt give a crap about critical views. Especially in the overseas market.

Then why is critically acclaimed guardians of the galaxy losing to critically panned ninja turtles for two consecutive weeks. It can not be stressed just how much the majority of the general audience doesnt give a crap about critical views. Especially in the overseas market.

because ninja turtles has the critics's high praise too? :D i kid.

because kids today still love turtles? i guess. :p

"From the makers of Transformers"

That's why. People are expecting the same thing again, and they'll get it, you can want to see something purely for escapism without thinking it's good. Generally speaking critics reviews are similar to audience reviews because generally speaking humans have similar opinions. That's why we have critics.

Anyway, Ninja Turtles opening week was $90 million, Guardians opening week was $135 million. Guardians opened much stronger.

Last edited:
because ninja turtles has the critics's high praise too? :D i kid.

because kids today still love turtles? i guess. :p
Precisely. I think you are right. And surely you would not expect kids to go read reviews in rotten tomatoes and metacritic to decide if its worth watching a movie now would you?
"From the makers of Transformers"

That's why. People are expecting the same thing again, and they'll get it, you can want to see something purely for escapism without thinking it's good. Generally speaking critics reviews are similar to audience reviews because generally speaking humans have similar opinions. That's why we have critics.

Anyway, Ninja Turtles opening week was $90 million, Guardians opening week was $135 million. Guardians opened much stronger.
Critical reviews can never be said to be a reflection of the general audience perception of a film. For example Man of steel had 56% of 288 positive critical reviews with a 6.2/10 score compared to 76% of 429670 of the general audience who liked it and gave a 3.9/5 score. I cant see how critical review and audience reviews are similar just from that.
As for Ninja turtles, yes it opened lower than gotg but am simply trying to dispel the notion that critical revew is the most important element of box office performance. If that were the case gotg should have been the no 1 movie in all 3 weeks not just the one.

>Generally
>lol forget that, I'll cherry pick one example

Why don't you make a sample of hundreds of films, across multiple genres? If you're trying to show critics disagree with the audience?

Also, the reason Ninja Turtles is beating Guardians is because a lot of people have seen Guardians now. Not many people go for repeat viewings of films.

Last edited:
Okay, I feel the reason GotG is doing really well is because it's for all ages and kids (and John Campea) will want to see it 3 or more times, same with TMNT

Okay, I feel the reason GotG is doing really well is because it's for all ages and kids (and John Campea) will want to see it 3 or more times, same with TMNT

Never under-estimate the lure of all-ages appeal. Many successful franchises played that to their advantage, and GOTG is just the latest one as it zooms past $418 million dollars. Still with many markets (big markets) yet to open! That's what I like about this success the most - it sends a clear signal to Hollywood that you can succeed with anything if you craft an excellent movie and dont take yourself too seriously in the process!

Last edited:
I think Hollywood got that message. It's not like "not taking yourself too seriously" is all of a sudden the hidden mystery. It's not. It's simple, really. You can have superhero movies that both have comedic; all-age value like Marvel has done over the years and you can have serious takes on comic book characters that usually did nothing but NOT take themselves seriously in all the decades leading up to this superhero boom period, which is why I like WB/DC's approach to their DCCinematic Universe.

It's easy to get campy and do exactly what Marvel is doing....so let Marvel do it and be your own thing and WB/DC is doing just that when it comes to a more serious take on beloved and usually campy characters. Marvel's doing GREAT for themselves and have their audience, great, but I don't want to see the same thing over and over again. DC is also proof that you don't have to rely on humor and the child demographic at a constant to be successful as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"