Age of Ultron "Because boomerangs" the Hawkeye Thread

Some people are already saying that the reason Whedon left MCU is because he couldn't get creative freedom from Feige, which I don't believe it's true. I think Feige has given Whedon as much leeway as possible, which is why he let Whedon bar Hawkeye from Phase 2 movies in the first place.

I heard that too. It sounds to me, that Fiege is more than willing to give the directors more chances than most studios would, and in the end if they didn't deliver, or are not delivering, that is when he had to step in. I read how people were pissed that Edgar Wright ended up leaving, but you have to give kudos to Fiege, because he gave the guy 6 years to get his crap together, and he was still dragging his feet.

Some people are already saying that the reason Whedon left MCU is because he couldn't get creative freedom from Feige, which I don't believe it's true. I think Feige has given Whedon as much leeway as possible, which is why he let Whedon bar Hawkeye from Phase 2 movies in the first place.

I don't know where this nonsense has suddenly sprung from, but I saw someone say it in the Whedon thread, too.

Hawkeye wasn't in Phase II (specifically TWS) because Renner had a scheduling conflict. It has absolutely nothing to do with Whedon.

I don't know where this nonsense has suddenly sprung from, but I saw someone say it in the Whedon thread, too.

Hawkeye wasn't in Phase II (specifically TWS) because Renner had a scheduling conflict. It has absolutely nothing to do with Whedon.

Uh, it's all over the place. Fiege had some sort of interview, and he said that Whedon asked for two major requests when planning out Phase 2.

For starters, Whedon requested that the characters of Hulk (Mark Ruffalo) and Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) be left out of the movies of Marvel’s Phase Two – this would include Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World, Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy -- because, as Feige recalls, Whedon had "very big plans for the two of those character in [Age of Ultron]."

And second request,
And even though James Gunn was directing Guardians, Whedon had one other crucial suggestion for what he thought should happen in the first Galaxy movie. Whedon said:
The only [change] I could think of was pulling Thanos out of Guardians of the Galaxy. … I thought we needed to thread him in more gently.

After seeing AOU last night, I have to say I was very pleased with Hawkeye's role. The guy knocked it out of the park. Between his family and his one-liners, I expect Renner is much more happy about his depiction here than he was in the first Avengers.

"I don't know what happened. Last time I saw him, Ultron was sitting on him..."

Who said anything about "killing off" his wife and kids? My sugestion is to reveal them as being either Skrulls or Dire Wraiths disguised as humans. Have it be revealed that his wife and kids never existed and were nothing more then aliens in disguise who have created fake identities.

If you can't see how "revealing they never existed" is functionally indistinguishable from "killing them off", I'm not sure what to say. Either way, you just nuked his family.

Who said anything about "killing off" his wife and kids? My sugestion is to reveal them as being either Skrulls or Dire Wraiths disguised as humans. Have it be revealed that his wife and kids never existed and were nothing more then aliens in disguise who have created fake identities.

Why is it blasphemy to have an Avenger with an actual normal family life? Not everything has to be all corrupted with aliens, shadowy creatures, robots, etc. Can't a guy just have a wife and kids without fans crying foul?

Frankly, I found it refreshing to see that Barton had a conventional family. Again as his wife mentioned in the movie, amidst all the craziness and conflict amongst these larger than life individuals, there's something really pure to see one of them be legitimately normal.

It pretty much gave me a much better appreciation for Hawkeye and his role with the team.

Why is it blasphemy to have an Avenger with an actual normal family life? Not everything has to be all corrupted with aliens, shadowy creatures, robots, etc. Can't a guy just have a wife and kids without fans crying foul?

Frankly, I found it refreshing to see that Barton had a conventional family. Again as his wife mentioned in the movie, amidst all the craziness and conflict amongst these larger than life individuals, there's something really pure to see one of them be legitimately normal.

It pretty much gave me a much better appreciation for Hawkeye and his role with the team.
Word
Hes like the only character whos death would actually impact his family

I mean cap immediately family passed away half a century ago
Bw couldn't spell family
Hulk still has no she hulk...
Thor's dad is missing, mom is dead brother hates him

Word
Hes like the only character whos death would actually impact his family

I mean cap immediately family passed away half a century ago
Bw couldn't spell family
Hulk still has no she hulk...
Thor's dad is missing, mom is dead brother hates him

Uh, but doesn't he have three very good friends who love him dearly, as well as Jane and Erik? And, I have to wonder if Loki really hates Thor. He may be jealous, but I don't think he deep down hates Thor.

Agree. This is a pretty lame criticism.

I guess they can replace all the boring family scenes with another Hulkbuster fight to satisfy people.

Actually, I didn't care for the Hulkbuster scenes either. Personally, I would have replaced the Hawkeye family with scenes of him trying to save the twins and forming a more stronger bond with them.

Uh, but doesn't he have three very good friends who love him dearly, as well as Jane and Erik? And, I have to wonder if Loki really hates Thor. He may be jealous, but I don't think he deep down hates Thor.

good point,
but dont all the avengers have that
i mean that have each other in a way amirite amirite

Hawkeye being the most well-adjusted member of the team was both unexpected and brilliant on Whedon's part. Not just because 616 Hawkeye is decidedly NOT that, but also because it balances out well with, well pretty much everyone else having complicated/screwed up personal issues. And it explains why he could get through to the Twin's, he's got experience with kids (and the Twin's were kids who never really got to grow up in many ways).

And yes, "heroes have crappy personal lives" is SUCH a boring clichéd at this point. No thanks. One thing that did disappoint me about Hawkeye in this film, well the only thing really, is that it still didn't explain where he was during TWS. Feige said that this movie would explain that, but it didn't.

Well TWS never actually STATES that that's why SHIELD was absent from IM3. I guess that the audience is just supposed to assume that that was the reason or something, I think? Ditto Hawkeye in this movie vs. TWS. Basically, Marvel should stop claiming that future movies will "explain" holes in previous ones if they're not actually going to do so. It just sets the audience up to be disappointed.

Well I assumed it was implied that the reason SHIELD wasn't involved was because this wasn't their fight.

As Rhodey explained to Tony in the bar why he wasn't told about the Mandarin,

"This isn't Superhero business, this is American business."

Sometimes, you gotta let the Govt. handle their ****. Had the situation escalated and gotten outta hand then SHIELD likely would've stepped in...

Well I assumed it was implied that the reason SHIELD wasn't involved was because this wasn't their fight.

As Rhodey explained to Tony in the bar why he wasn't told about the Mandarin,

"This isn't Superhero business, this is American business."

Sometimes, you gotta let the Govt. handle their ****. Had the situation escalated and gotten outta hand then SHIELD likely would've stepped in...
This.

Fury said Avengers that he want to have a team that would fight the battles SHIELD couldn't fight.
So the same logic applies

I don't see why that needed to be spelled out anymore than it was I mean, did you really need them to explain again in TWS why they wearn't involved with the whole Mandarin situation?

When I first saw IM3 and Rhodey said that line, it made it perfectly clear why they had no presence in the movie...at least for me. I didn't need them to bring it up again in another movie. What's the point of rehashing that?

And exactly what purpose would that serve? :huh:

So they promised an explanation, something that would probably be 2-3 lines tops in a script. They didn't do it.

A lot of things get "promised" when filming a movie that end up getting scrapped. It happens.

I've been thinking about Hawkeye in the movie - seeing his home and family. It was something different, and humanised the character. But at the same time, I felt the movie's momentum slowed down and it felt rather dull and TV-ish. That might just be me, though.

It reminded me of the scene from the first TMNT where they had to regroup at the farm.

Personally, I like those kind of scenes. Gives everyone, the audience included, a chance to take a breather from all the chaos.

I find this eager advocacy to kill off his wife and kids more than a little disgusting. "Hey, I don't like the personality a character has, lets slaughter his family!" Never mind that this would defeat his entire point in being, which is "the normal one amidst the insanity".

It's the butt hurt and very bitter Clintasha super stans talking. :loco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"