Ben Mendelsohn as Daggett was Amazing, Burn Gorman as Stryver was too

Discussion in 'The Dark Knight Rises' started by Shpati, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Shpati Registered

I did not see any thread about Ben Mendelsohn as Daggett. I wanted to create one for him.

I want to say he was just awesome as a minor villain. He was so fearless. When I was watching him on the screen, I was just thinking "this guy just does not shut up, he keeps going and going, does not know when to stop". And he portrayed it beautifully by not being annoying. I was wondering what will it take for someone to finally put him in his place.

The scene with Daggett and Bane is one of my favorites in the trilogy. It was just great acting. Bane had to place his huge left hand right by his ear to finally get Daggett to shut up. I thought he was going to give him an embarrassing slap across his face in front of his partner (Stryver). Everyone sensed the fear in Stryver's eyes in this scene. Even he knew Daggett was crossing the line.

Stryver was good too. Him and Daggett portrayed a genuine duo.

2. BlackFox Simpbiote

They were a little out of their depth when it came to real villains like Bane and Scarecrow, both got the end they deserved.

Not sure how much love you will find on here for them, so good luck with this!

3. Liam_H Registered

Like Tate/Talia they just wasted screentime. IMO of course.

4. Keyser Soze AW YEEEAH!

I think the scene with Daggett and Bane was great. A lot of people are giving Tom Hardy deserved credit for his understated menace there, but kudos also to Ben Mendelsohn....

From the moment the hand lands on his shoulder, you see the transition from anger to fear, and from there the gradual realisation that he is definitely going to die. Deftly conveyed.

And it was also a treat seeing Burn Gorman in a big US blockbuster, especially a Batman film. I'm familiar with him from his work on British television, particularly his role in the early seasons of Torchwood.

5. aeioulul Eccentric Billionaire

They both acted great IMO.

6. Joined:
    Nov 8, 2011
    Daggett reminded me of Walter Peck from Ghostbusters or Burke from Aliens. Just a great ********.

7. regwec Make Mine Marble

I thought just the same! Daggett was the perfect "white collar" villain for our time. If Ra's al Ghul in BB was an analogue of Osama bin Laden, Daggett could be Fred Goodwyn or Bob Diamond. I don't know whether it is luck or judgement that made Nolan's villains so timely, but the financial crime aspect of TDKR was one of my favourites.

I loved the exchange where Daggett reminded Bane that he had paid him a fortune, and Bane asks, in bemusement, whether that made Daggett feel he had any power over him. It perfectly captured the way that overpaid bean-counters can't understand anything except money.

8. 747 Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Eh, I don't get this at all. It's not like they were meant to be very developed characters or very meaningful. They served the plot and they served other characters (like Selina and Bane), I don't see how they wasted screen-time. it's not like they had several scenes with just them talking about unnecessary stuff or anything.

9. 747 Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Oh and they both did great and I enjoyed their characters, they had some nice moments making both Selina and Bane shine so to speak.

10. Two-Face Harvey Dent

The way Daggott shouts at Bane reminded me of John Malkovich.

11. TheFuture Valar Dohaeris

Yeah BM did a good job, he made me hate Daggett within a short space of time so kudos must be given. He was so smarmy and weasely that I was kinda glad Bane done in him haha

12. craigdbfan Registered

Well said.

That's exactly the same way I felt about the character. He was vile and the punishment and ridicule he received from Bane in his final moments was a sight to behold.

13. The Shape In the shadows

Stryver was also AWESOME. Loved the way he annunciated his words.

"He said, and I quote, they would DIE before talking."

"In fact, I'm counting to ten...right now!"

14. craigdbfan Registered

Both of them delivered, definitely.

15. The Shape In the shadows

One thing thing that people CANNOT argue against TDKR -- it definitely had the best actors in supporting roles and the most convincing extras/secondary characters.

The population in this film come off as real, unlike the cops from TDK or the idiots on the ferries.

16. Street Vendor Registered

Stryver looked like he could be a member of Batman's rogues gallery. He had such a creepy look to him.

17. The Shape In the shadows

Honestly, he looked like he could be the son of Willem Dafoe.

18. craigdbfan Registered

Gormon could have played one heck of a Black Mask.

19. vanson Registered

have to agree, especially mendelsohn stood out from the supporting cast.. i also liked banes right hand.. (knew him from 'no ordinary family', he basically outplayed the whole cast there ...)

20. shauner111 Registered

I loved Mendelsohn , he played it so well, a guy you LOVE to hate.

21. Kansiov Registered

Daggett and Stryver didn't have some unnecessary character development unlike Blake; most of their scenes were used to advance the plot, not exactly wasted screentime.

22. mao Registered

Mendelsohn was terrific as Daggett. Any actor who can make me hate a minor character so much in two scenes deserves kudos. He was just slightly annoying with Miranda, but by the time we see him with Selina ( "hey, can we get some girls here?" said in that nasal wheeze of his), I was ready to see him bite it. I'm sure I wasn't the only one rooting for stiletto marks on his face while they were on the scaffolding. Then, Bane toying with him before he crushes his skull. Just perfect.

Ditto for Stryver as No 2 Weasel.

23. Greens I am Danny DeVito

I loved Daggett and Stryver.

24. batbax Registered

I know this is the dagget/Stryker thread.. Who were great, but had to second this about josh Stewart. I love the part where the army general comes across the bridge thinking he was gonna push Stewart around referring to him as "son".. I love the way Stewart coldly stares him down and mockingly smiles at him.. Gave the impression just how fearless and committed banes men really were.

25. EliteF50 Registered

Agreed. Both did an amazing job.