The Dark Knight Rises Ben Mendelsohn as Daggett was Amazing, Burn Gorman as Stryver was too

I like MJW but i didn't like his acting in TDK.The guy who plays The Chechen was great though in such a small role.

Both of them did fine with their roles, they served their purpose. Nothing more, nothing less. But honestly I just did not care for eithers involvement within the plot. So hence my wasted screentime.

Personally i loved them. I always enjoy smaller villains who are overconfident against big time villains. It was similar in previous movies as well.

But the soldier (or something like that) who died immediately after dismissing Blake was a wasted screen time for me. I can see why he is there but still...

I thought Stryver was pretty cool. I couldn't stand Daggett.
His delivery when he was mocking Selina about the "Clean Slate"... It fell pretty flat for me. Blah.

Stryver looked like he could be a member of Batman's rogues gallery. He had such a creepy look to him.

Yeah but he wouldn't have a challenge to Batman at all. He got his freaking ass wimped by Selina and did nothing to fight expect try to use his gun lol. He was so untrained it was embarrassing for the guy lol. I loved the bar scene. And then him being forced onto the ice and falling into it was hilarious. And Daggett was played well by the actor, but pretty weak and annoying villain. And certainly also no challenge to Bruce/Batman other than bankrupting his money. But that was with the help of Bane. And his death scene was disturbing, but also really funny lol.

Bane to Stryver: "Leave us."
Daggett to Stryver: No stay here i'm in charge.
Bane (puts his hand on Dagget's shoulder): "Do you feel in charge?"
Dagget: "I paid you a small fortune."
Bane: "And you think this gives you power over me?"
Daggett: "What are you?"
Bane: "I'am Gotham's reckoning"
Daggett: "Your pure evil."
Bane: "I'm necessary evil"

Bane cracks Daggett's neck (i'm guessing that's what he did) making him scream. And Stryver just looks like he's thinking "Oh ****."

Great thread. Yeah, I really enjoyed these two. I thought the transition from a focus on the mob to a focus on white collar villainous-types made sense and was totally appropriate for the story they were trying to tell.
Indeed, I love the transition from the mobsters as the minor villains to these white collar jerks, since we already got to see fantastic mobsters as minor villains in the first two.

I thought Stryver was pretty cool. I couldn't stand Daggett.
His delivery when he was mocking Selina about the "Clean Slate"... It fell pretty flat for me. Blah.
I love the mocking. The guys was just pushing his luck to the very maximum, I was just waiting for someone to put him in his place.

They both served their purpose to a great extent. They've copped too much flack.

I love the mocking. The guys was just pushing his luck to the very maximum, I was just waiting for someone to put him in his place.

True. I just thought the delivery was a bit off. That's just me though. I see what they were going for but I would've liked someone a bit more charismatic.

Was Treat Williams originally up for the role of Daggett, or was it Foley? Williams plays weasels very well too, but Ben Mendelsohn just oozed sleaze and smarminess.

I liked MJW as Gambol.

What was wrong with that line...?

ok,

so Dagget calls her a dumb ******...
she says no one's ever accused her of being dumb..

haha.... very nice..

then he replies...

"You're dumb...."
and then maybe "for coming here...

the dialogue was weak.
tell me that couldn't have been written better..??

I like her "I want what you owe me....", I love the delivery of the lines etc...

but "him repeating the "You're dumb" ? c'mon man...
anyone of us on this board could have written a better line than that

even "want doesn't get" or whatever he might have said.. was good..
but to repeat the "You're dumb"

I'm sorry, It just doesn't hold up on multiple viewings...
it seems like a weak part in some interesting dialogue...

kind of ruins it for me a little..
I wish that line in particular had been better written...

just my opinion.

Lol you're saying the same thing like five times. The line is "You're dumb for coming here tonight." It doesn't sound bad to me.

ok,

so Dagget calls her a dumb ******...
she says no one's ever accused her of being dumb..

haha.... very nice..

then he replies...

"You're dumb...."
and then maybe "for coming here...

the dialogue was weak.
tell me that couldn't have been written better..??

I like her "I want what you owe me....", I love the delivery of the lines etc...

but "him repeating the "You're dumb" ? c'mon man...
anyone of us on this board could have written a better line than that

even "want doesn't get" or whatever he might have said.. was good..
but to repeat the "You're dumb"

I'm sorry, It just doesn't hold up on multiple viewings...
it seems like a weak part in some interesting dialogue...

kind of ruins it for me a little..
I wish that line in particular had been better written...

just my opinion.

You're overanalyzing it... the line is perfectly fine. I've seen the movie five times in theaters, so it definitely "holds up" on multiple viewings.

The performances were fine, but i felt both of them were very weak villains or antagonist. They were never menacing, they just came off as annoying even though i know they're suppose to. I personally like Carmine Falcone and Maroni a lot more in the first two. I guess it's just that i also like villains that can hold their own in a fight and aren't clearly untrained. Both got owned by Selina/Catwoman, Stryver got rolled over the table and his gun taken away lol. And Daggett probably had the best death scene in the movie, lol.

Being owned by Catwoman is nothing to be ashamed of. She's quite a capable women, ya know. Hell, Bane got owned by her... :funny:

The performances were fine, but i felt both of them were very weak villains or antagonist. They were never menacing, they just came off as annoying even though i know they're suppose to. I personally like Carmine Falcone and Maroni a lot more in the first two. I guess it's just that i also like villains that can hold their own in a fight and aren't clearly untrained. Both got owned by Selina/Catwoman, Stryver got rolled over the table and his gun taken away lol. And Daggett probably had the best death scene in the movie, lol.

Yeah but those are biggest crime bosses in Gotham. These guys were like sneaky like Mr.Earle, Lau etc.

Daggett death scene reminded me Joker vs Gambol death scene because of awesomeness.

Both did a phenomenal job.

Will definitely have to make custom 1/6 scale figures of each of them for my collection :lol

Being owned by Catwoman is nothing to be ashamed of. She's quite a capable women, ya know. Hell, Bane got owned by her... :funny:

LOL yeah yes I agree she's a capable woman and a good fighter. But neither one of them even tried putting up a fight because they were clearly weak and only used words and guns to make them seem tough. She did own Bane, but that was by a gun, can't escape that especially when you're distracted like he was hence why she dosen't have the "no gun" rule. In a one on one fight combat with Bane she would have gotten destroyed hence why she seemed terrified of him and wanted to runaway. Anne Hathaway did pull off the action scenes very well though, she was sexy and it's fun watching her kick ass. Especially since she's from the Princess Diaries and that's who they are getting own by, lol.

Honestly, he looked like he could be the son of Willem Dafoe.
Aw dude I was going to say the same thing, he definitely has those boney cheekbones to play creepy guys.

Both Dagget and Stryver I believed served their purpose in the film just like Chechen and Lau.

R.I.P.
cutoutwallpaperchechen1qe5.jpg

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=311759

They are not as awesome character as The Chechen but the way their deaths were "epic"

I really appreciated how clear it was that Daggett's entire persona, M.O., life goals, and overall philosophy was point blank greed and cash fetish. The guy obviously counts as a powerful enemy in the usual sense of the crime drama thanks to his large resources, but is ill-prepared for any kind of physical confrontation, and is thus incredibly vulnerable once the plot-line shifts to the war movie genre. The way he was played, as this boisterous jerk with a heart of even more jerk, and his over-the-top performance makes me think of a Gordon Gekko wannabe, and I liked that.

I also loved how much contrast there was in Stryver compared to his boss. Daggett was an arrogant loud-mouth and the type of idiot who you know would get over his head. Styver, on the other hand, seemed calm, cool, and very subdued, almost the polar opposite of his boss. You never really fear for Selina against Daggett, since he seems to have no idea what he's doing, but Stryver seems just competent enough to make a dangerous antagonist for her. And he seems to have a much better idea about the actual context of Bane and Daggett's partnership from the get-go, and is very human in his last scenes.

I really want to see more of Gorman in other films now, and it would be cool if he got cast as another Batman bad-guy sometime in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"