Best action sequence in any comic book adaptation!!!!

Ima say best action sequence is when hulk and abomination do battle...Shiz good

They werent wrapped around him as they were trying to grab the building, when Spidey butts Ock, they arent around him then so he could have webbed away.

Got some more pics for ya:

spidey_ock02.jpg

spidey_ock03.jpg

spidey_ock05.jpg

The tents were constantly tangling themselves around Spidey. And even when they momentary move away, they're still a continuous threat. As long as they were in the proximity, they could still grab him. Again, Spidey realized that he had to put Ock down or he'd be in further jeopardy.

If you can stop a speeding train with your bare hands, it doesnt matter how big the guy is.

But it matters if he has mechanical 13 ft tentacles that are at least just as strong.

I see what you are saying, but in the real world Spidey could and should knock Ock out with his punches, even if he does pull them. It would have been better had the tentacles played a larger part in this.

Well, I have yet to see Spidey portrayed in te real world. And if Spidey knocked him out too easily:

1. The fights wouldn't be very exciting.
2. Would raise more arguments of inaccuracy from those who worry over this. Afterall, that isn't what happens in the comics.

Not trying to be rude Dragon but were are you getting this from? I have taken heavy hits in football (soccer if you are in the US) and the hit was that heavy I have been UNABLE to look up, a heavy hit takes time to recover, this is why Doc wasnt looking up, not because he was out. He wouldnt be out anyway because the tentacles took the brunt of the hit. You hear him grunting just before and as he is getting up anyway.

Well, I doubt there has ever been a hit on any football field that connects with being hit by a table weighing hundreds of pounds, being thrown dozens of yards and slamming into a car hard enough to dent it.

And if you're in a car crash, while the car takes the brunt of the hit, it can still be severely damaging to fatal. And Ock's tentacles offer no cushinioning for Ock hitting them.

Again, if Ock were not momentarily out, he'd be looking up. He'd have to, since he didn't know what was coming at him next. And grunting isn't a sign of being awake. People make noises while being unconscious. Again, he isn't out for long, only a second, since as you mention the terntacles likely revive him. But he is out, reflecting that Raimi is showing that he's vulnerable.

I few times in the movie though they tried to grab him and he either blocked or dodged them, they didnt get him every time.

No they didn't. The point is that based on the amount of trouble they were giving him he decidedly on a certain strategy.

As I said earlier though, I still the film and fight scene's, just felt they were a bit flawed. In the 2.1 version there is a scene to strongly suggest the tentacles keep Ock conscious also.

I agree. Sure the fights were flawed. Every fight is flawed in some way. I have yet to see a fight in any of these comic films that's flawless. But the pros far- FAR outweigh the cons in these fights. Bottomline, These fights were excellent, and that's what's most important.

I think it would of been much more interesting to see Spidey battle with the tenticles more. Not land a single punch on Doc Ock, just trying to fight his way past the tenticles to get close enough, just like the comics.

spidey_ock02.jpg

spidey_ock03.jpg

spidey_ock05.jpg

For me, Spider-Man 2 is the highest benchmark for superhero films. And this one of those reasons why: it's the first American film to deliver the Comic Book Fight.

No Hong Kong style.
No anime style.

It's a fight where the characters use their own unique powers in their own way at their best.

Last edited:
One of my favourite fight scenes is the loft fight in The Crow. You know, where Draven walks in and there's about 30 guys sat round the table.

'Well you can't have him.' *sh-- hits the fan*

I mean, there's guns, swords, martial arts... absolutely brilliant. Brandon Lee had some amazing natural talent, combined with movie magic made it absolutely breathtaking. Only downside was that it was about 2/3s through the film, so the final battle, if you can call it that, never really stood a chance in the sense of action so had to rely more on emotive substance.

Great film overall, and a brilliant fight scene.

I would of nominated this scene as well but being as it wasn't adapted from a comic book I assumed it didn't apply to this thread.

Truly awesome scene though!

^what he said...

James O'Barr created The Crow as a comic first and foremost.

spidey_ock02.jpg

spidey_ock03.jpg

spidey_ock05.jpg

The tents were constantly tangling themselves around Spidey. And even when they momentary move away, they're still a continuous threat. As long as they were in the proximity, they could still grab him. Again, Spidey realized that he had to put Ock down or he'd be in further jeopardy.

In the first 2 pics you posted the tentacles dont have hold of Spidey :huh:. Need better pics there sunshine :cwink:.

But it matters if he has mechanical 13 ft tentacles that are at least just as strong.

Not at one point in the movie did were tentacles portrayed as strong as Spidey, he even outmuscled 2 of them in the bank when had hold of his arms in an x shape, if they were as strong, Spidey's arms wouldnt have been able to move.

Well, I have yet to see Spidey portrayed in te real world. And if Spidey knocked him out too easily:

1. The fights wouldn't be very exciting.
2. Would raise more arguments of inaccuracy from those who worry over this. Afterall, that isn't what happens in the comics.

But thats my problem, they went for what was more exciting than what was more logical.

Well, I doubt there has ever been a hit on any football field that connects with being hit by a table weighing hundreds of pounds, being thrown dozens of yards and slamming into a car hard enough to dent it.

And if you're in a car crash, while the car takes the brunt of the hit, it can still be severely damaging to fatal. And Ock's tentacles offer no cushinioning for Ock hitting them.

Again, if Ock were not momentarily out, he'd be looking up. He'd have to, since he didn't know what was coming at him next. And grunting isn't a sign of being awake. People make noises while being unconscious. Again, he isn't out for long, only a second, since as you mention the terntacles likely revive him. But he is out, reflecting that Raimi is showing that he's vulnerable.

I was speaking comparatively, NO evidence you have given me with pictures proves to me that Ock was out just because his head was down, needing a quick breather and being out are 2 totally different things.

No they didn't. The point is that based on the amount of trouble they were giving him he decidedly on a certain strategy.

Despite the fact he had multiple oppurtunities to take out Ock.

I agree. Sure the fights were flawed. Every fight is flawed in some way. I have yet to see a fight in any of these comic films that's flawless. But the pros far- FAR outweigh the cons in these fights. Bottomline, These fights were excellent, and that's what's most important.

I agree, they were excellent, but I have no problem discussing their flaws, at all, and I dont see the problem with others doing it. Arguing with some people you would think they were flawless.

But, alas, I think this brings our debate to a close to be honest, as neither of us has changed ours views, you and Joker (who I am no ignoring, just didnt see the point in practically the same argument twice) have changed mine slightly, but not on my main points.

I think it best we just agree to disagree, I simply dont have the energy, or the time, that I did back in the Hulk boards days :cwink:.

In the first 2 pics you posted the tentacles dont have hold of Spidey :huh:. Need better pics there sunshine :cwink:.

Not at all. note that these are FRAMES. 1/24 of a second. The tentacles are infact in the process of wrapping around him as they tumble.

And like I said, it isn't just when they are physical holding him. Even if they're simply hovering over him they will snag him if he tried to leap past them.

Not at one point in the movie did were tentacles portrayed as strong as Spidey, he even outmuscled 2 of them in the bank when had hold of his arms in an x shape, if they were as strong, Spidey's arms wouldnt have been able to move.

Spidey's arms could move because the tentacles are flexible. If Spidey were actually stronger than the tentacles, he'd simply rip them apart, destroying them, wouldn't he?

But thats my problem, they went for what was more exciting than what was more logical.

No, they went for a balance, as did the comics. They figured out how to make Ock a serious enough threat, but the way by which Spidey would ultimately triumph. Again, it isn't as if the comics were thinking anymore of logic vs. entertainment tha did Raimi.

I was speaking comparatively, NO evidence you have given me with pictures proves to me that Ock was out just because his head was down, needing a quick breather and being out are 2 totally different things.

Well, I've given you logical reasons why Ock should be looking up if he were able. Spidey wasn't giving him a time out. And if you look at the shot, Ock's head isn't moving as one would if they were just stunned.

Again- he does revive quickly. They didn't want to slow the fight down. But they did succeed in showing that Ock can be hurt, which is what I thought your main complaint was.

Despite the fact he had multiple oppurtunities to take out Ock.

If you were placed in that type of situation and someone was viewing you from outside, they might wonder why you stepped this way instead of that way, not understanding that seeing things from a different vantage point means you see different things.

I agree, they were excellent, but I have no problem discussing their flaws, at all, and I dont see the problem with others doing it. Arguing with some people you would think they were flawless.

Well, of course people should discuss them. That's the point of a discussion board. But it may just be that some folks see less flaws than others. As with a certain film I can think of... :bh: :woot:

But, alas, I think this brings our debate to a close to be honest, as neither of us has changed ours views, you and Joker (who I am no ignoring, just didnt see the point in practically the same argument twice) have changed mine slightly, but not on my main points.

I think it best we just agree to disagree, I simply dont have the energy, or the time, that I did back in the Hulk boards days .

Same here.. :cwink:

The scene where Wolverine and Deadpool fight! Wow it was so badass and funny. Just great!!

Not at all. note that these are FRAMES. 1/24 of a second. The tentacles are infact in the process of wrapping around him as they tumble.

And like I said, it isn't just when they are physical holding him. Even if they're simply hovering over him they will snag him if he tried to leap past them.

I dont see how when his reflexes are obviously faster.

Spidey's arms could move because the tentacles are flexible. If Spidey were actually stronger than the tentacles, he'd simply rip them apart, destroying them, wouldn't he?

Flexibility has nothing to do with it, they were pushing against his arms to stop him from doing something like that, he was obviously just too strong for them.

No, they went for a balance, as did the comics. They figured out how to make Ock a serious enough threat, but the way by which Spidey would ultimately triumph. Again, it isn't as if the comics were thinking anymore of logic vs. entertainment tha did Raimi.

But Spidey didnt get as many hits on Ock as he did in the movie.

Well, I've given you logical reasons why Ock should be looking up if he were able. Spidey wasn't giving him a time out. And if you look at the shot, Ock's head isn't moving as one would if they were just stunned.

Again- he does revive quickly. They didn't want to slow the fight down. But they did succeed in showing that Ock can be hurt, which is what I thought your main complaint was.

Again, he took a heavy hit and was down for a quick breather, I see this countless times in sports, and the people arent out, or anywere near it, I have even done it myself when I have taken a heavy hit.

My complaint was never about Ock being hurt, it was about Spidey not being able to hurt him with a punch. Yet Aunt May hits him with an umbrella and nearly knocks him out!

If you were placed in that type of situation and someone was viewing you from outside, they might wonder why you stepped this way instead of that way, not understanding that seeing things from a different vantage point means you see different things.

Well, of course people should discuss them. That's the point of a discussion board. But it may just be that some folks see less flaws than others. As with a certain film I can think of... :bh: :woot:

Same here.. :cwink:

I knew plenty of problems with Hulk, and as you can see in my sig I thought Spidey 2 was better, but Spidey 2 is not exempt from floors, in fact it is full of them.

best action scenes? hmmm...

1. Batman Versus Mobsters in Tokyo (TDK)
2. Batman Versus Ras Al Ghul on the Train (BB)
3. Spidey Versus Doc Ock in the bank... better than the train fight IMO (S-2)
4. Punisher Versus... what, like 200 thugs in "War Zone" (PWZ)
5. Daredevil Versus Bullsye in the cathedral (DD)
6. Iron Man fighting the Ten Rings terrorists and saving the villagers (IM)
7. Wolverine Vs Deathstrike (X2)
8. Wolverine going berserker on the soldiers in the mansion (X2)
9. Ghost Rider fighting/chasing police (GR) no matter yer opinions on GR that scene and the cg rocks.
10. any action scene w/the Silver Surfer (F4: ROTSS)

was there a scene where johnny chased silver surfer into the atmosphere in the comics?

best action scenes? hmmm...

1. Batman Versus Mobsters in Tokyo (TDK)
2. Batman Versus Ras Al Ghul on the Train (BB)
3. Spidey Versus Doc Ock in the bank... better than the train fight IMO (S-2)
4. Punisher Versus... what, like 200 thugs in "War Zone" (PWZ)
5. Daredevil Versus Bullsye in the cathedral (DD)
6. Iron Man fighting the Ten Rings terrorists and saving the villagers (IM)
7. Wolverine Vs Deathstrike (X2)
8. Wolverine going berserker on the soldiers in the mansion (X2)
9. Ghost Rider fighting/chasing police (GR) no matter yer opinions on GR that scene and the cg rocks.
10. any action scene w/the Silver Surfer (F4: ROTSS)

:up:Plus it was very faithful to the comics with the building riding etc.

I must say also the fights in both Hellboy movies were both awesome and very faithful.

For me, Spider-Man 2 is the highest benchmark for superhero films. And this one of those reasons why: it's the first American film to deliver the Comic Book Fight.

No Hong Kong style.
No anime style.

It's a fight where the characters use their own unique powers in their own way at their best.
I second that. :up:

Yea Ghost Rider riding down that building then...BOOOOOM!!! He crashes to the ground. That was bad ass and very comic book accurate. I really don't get the stick that film gets, I found it pretty enjoyable. Cheesy? Yes. Thrilling? YES!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"