Best CBM Threequel AFTER CW and TDKR

Well technically he could still escape even without the knee brace, he'd just be more limited. I appreciate any nod to the Dark Knight Returns but I agree it was sloppy.

Heh, I never thought about that before; his knee problem with magically faded away or else they let him keep the knee brace in the pit.

Iron Man 3, easily. I'd put it over TDKR, myself.

Him having the knee brace doesn't stop him from getting handily defeated by Bane though. I think the "past his prime" element was definitely at the forefront of the film. Even though he obviously needs to be able to still be able to kick a reasonable amount of butt for the sake of it being a Batman film, the movie emphasizes him being past his prime enough to make it clear that if he were to continue being Batman with no end in sight, he'd eventually die in the cowl. Also I thought the knee brace was a nice little nod to the arm brace in Dark Knight Returns.

He lost because he was cocky and had allowed his pain to overcome him, as opposed to channeling it as he had previously. All talk of Batman being physically past his prime was just that: talk.

I still maintain a firm belief that Nolan and company didn't really want to make a third Batman movie after Ledger died but didn't want to potentially burn any bridges with WB - which is why TDKR feels so incredibly lazy in writing and acting in spots.

There is literally nothing to support that belief. The whole "Nolan was forced to make TDKR argument is laughable to me.

If Nolan didn't want to make another movie, He wouldn't have made it simple as that.

Thematically Logical? Yes
Interesting? Enjoyable? Logical in the rest of its plot?? Not as much

Disagreed. It was interesting, enjoyable and logical. Great comic book film and much better than all movies on poll.

What would you have preferred than? Another stock Batman vs the Riddler story?

just a movie without so many plotholes and shallow socio-economic subtext
I like that Nolan tried to wrap up the trilogy's themes, I think his execution was just terribly flawed

Disagreed.

And that is your unalienable right
to be unalienable-y wrong
lol... jk

Overall I think TDKR is a very good film that nevertheless suffers from a few too many plotholes and cliches. It's easily better than all of the films in this poll (even Iron Man 3, which is also pretty good) but it doesn't reach the highs attained by its predecessors.

just a movie without so many plotholes and shallow socio-economic subtext

People are still beating the "plot hole" argument seriously?

There are no more "plot holes" than in the previous two.

People are still beating the "plot hole" argument seriously?

There are no more "plot holes" than in the previous two.

yes, but they were significantly more noticeable than in the other films
maybe it's just because Ledger wasn't there to carry the whole thing and distract from whatever plot holes there might be

I don't really care about plot holes, TDKR is just dull. I recently did a trilogy rewatch, still love BB and TDK, but I was bored out of my mind in the middle of TDKR.

It's a huge step down from Begins and especially The Dark Knight. On top of its many well known problems, I feel like its just a weirdly edited movie. Scenes seem to be cut too short and at really awkward times without sound bridges, the audio at times is weird (especially in the opening), all the flashbacks to the other movies that should have been cut, the pacing is all over the place in general. It felt like it needed a lot more runtime to flesh it out, but at the same time it was way too long for how dull it was.

Stuff like this makes me feel like Nolan was sleep-walking during post production.
tumblr_mdlay17Ovg1ruaha0o3_500.gif

I'll never forget watching TDKR in theaters, and several people in the theater including me started chuckling when this happened.

What's more is I'm a fan of Nolan, but he's often criticized for using his characters nothing more than for exposition, and this exchange in TDKR is the worse case of that. Utterly ridiculous

(Taken from TDKR script)

ALFRED
Master Wayne, if you’re considering
going back out there you need to
hear some rumors surrounding Bane.

WAYNE
I’m all ears.

ALFRED
There is a prison. In a more
ancient part of the world. A pit.
Where men are thrown to suffer and
die. But sometimes, a man rises
from the darkness. Sometimes...the
pit sends something back.

WAYNE
Bane.

ALFRED
Born and raised in a hell on earth.

WAYNE
Born in a prison?

ALFRED
No one knows why. Or how he
escaped. But they know who trained
him one he did...R¯a’s al Gh¯ul. Your
mentor.

Wayne takes this in. Shocked.

ALFRED
He plucked Bane from a dark corner
of the earth and trained him in the
blackest disciplines of combat,
deception and endurance. Just like
you.

WAYNE
Bane was a member of the League of
Shadows.

ALFRED
Until he was excommunicated. And a
man considered too extreme for R¯a’s
al Gh¯ul is not to be trifled with.

Please Nolan. Don't do this in your Dunkirk movie.

Last edited:
Too much exposition has always been a perplexing criticism of TDKR.

There's no way that movie has more exposition than Inception (Thats not a knock against either movie)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"