Civil War Best cinematic Spider-Man suit?

I really hate the Raimi suit. Design wise it's not that different from the ASM 2 suit, but I hate the way the lines of the suit work if that makes sense. The chest is too wide, the belt is too big and too high up, and the red sections on the arms are too wide. I don't think Tobey's physique/muscle suit helped but it gives the whole suit a bloated, puffy look. I loved how the ASM suits used thinner red sections to emphasize Spidey's leanness.

Also I hate the way the arms and chest connect in a point rather than a more round transition, I hate the triangle eyes and I don't even need to mention why I hate the webbing. It's a shame how a few small details can make me hate a suit which is pretty comic accurate especially for the early 2000's.

why-sam-raimi-s-spider-man-films-should-not-be-considered-canon-in-the-mcu-nah-jpeg-260309.jpg

Personally my favourite has to be a tie between ASM 1 and Civil War. Some of the modern tweaks to the ASM costume I could do without, and I would rather have it with the ASM 2 eyes, but I love the look of the material and the colours, and I think the numerous scenes at night really made the suit stand out. I'm liking the classic look of the Civil War suit such as the tick logo, and those eyes are great, but I think the utility belt doesn't fit the rest of the suit and I need to see more of the design.

Last edited:
I actually really liked the first Amazing Spider-Man suit, but this new suit is everything I've wanted from a cinematic Spidey suit since the first Raimi flick. I absolutely love this thing.

Not jet-black:

It's a darker shade of grey but definitely not jet-black like the new suit. And there's so much damn gloss that it can almost pass for the same shade as Raimi's webbing when it's reflected in the light, Poor design choice (like the rest of the suit)

It's a concept I tried explaining earlier, that the webbing is black, but may appear grey due to the lighting reflection. It's exactly the same material as the Spider on the chest (which is black), as the webbing is molded into it. The Spider isn't placed on top of the webbing. It's all black.

Riami's is Grey/Silver. Webbs is black, but would appear grey in different lighting situations. That I'm sure was a design choice, but not poor, because it gives the costume a dynamic look and makes it pop off the screen. Doesn't feel just printed on, like the CW suit. I understand where your coming from I do, but it's the nittiest nitpick I've read out of all of our nitpicks lol.

I honestly care more about the physique of the actor, than the look of the suit. That's why I think the Raimi suit didn't work for me, where the ASM succeeded. I still like them all. Even ASM1 grew on me over time.

My thoughts exactly.

AS2 was my favorite for a while, but lately I've been going back to Raimi's side of the fence.

Yeah, I like the eyes on the ASM2 suit the best out of all the Spidey suits, but the Raimi costumes were the best overall.

I'm honestly a little "meh" on the new suit, but maybe once I see more of it, it will grow on me. Definitely don't care for the tiny little spider logo on the front or the Joe's Crab Shack logo on the back. I honestly feel like the Raimi suits were so good that both Sony and Marvel were racking their brains trying to come up with suits that looked like Spidey but were drastically different from the Raimi version. That's how you get crap like the ASM1 suit. This one looks better than that but it's still a bit lackluster, IMO.

ASM is fantastic.
The new one is great at it's own thing, it's a whole different game.

My only complaints for the ASM1 suit were the eyes, lack of a belt and stripes down the legs. I loved the material and overall pattern. Just give it a belt and the ASM2 eyes and it would have absolutely wonderful.

I'm a simple man. I see comic-book accurate suit, I vote for that suit. Civil War suit wins automatically by not having raised webbings. Insanely comic-booky mask helps too.

1. TASM2
2. Raimi
3. TASM and CW (tied)

TASM and CW made too many changes for the sake of it. I do appreciate the attempt at originality for the two of them but I don't think they come off that well.

My major gripe with the CW suit is that it's too 'flat', and thus looks much too CGI-y. Almost like this:
[YT]WRDEaRBWXWA[/YT]

If they released a pic of Spidey in his practical suit like with Black Panther (even though BP still needs CGI enhancements), then maybe I'd be able to appreciate the suit more, but not with the single CGI shot that we have.

Civil War suit hardly different from the comic version. Only changes are the black stripes, take away those and you have a classic Spidey more accurate than TASM2 because of the animated eyes and tick spider logo. I don't see how it's comparable to TASM1 suit which changed the complete design layout with the leg stripes, blue gloves, silver soles and non-symmetrical webbing. (I love that suit btw)

Civil War suit hardly different from the comic version. Only changes are the black stripes, take away those and you have a classic Spidey more accurate than TASM2 because of the animated eyes and tick spider logo. I don't see how it's comparable to TASM1 suit which changed the complete design layout with the leg stripes, blue gloves, silver soles and non-symmetrical webbing. (I love that suit btw)

My list is subjective and based on personal preference, so TASM1 and CW just so happen to be my least favourite and in no particular order. :oldrazz:

TASM1 felt the least like a Spider-Man suit to me (the web shooters were cool though). The CW suit would probably rank higher for me if they changed that spider symbol (I don't think the 'blockier' emblem fits with the aesthetic you get with the the curved shape of the lenses and it's just much too small).

I don't feel like I can say a great deal about the CW suit just yet though, not without more stills from the movie (although I don't want to see any more footage from the film!).

My list is subjective and based on personal preference, so TASM1 and CW just so happen to be my least favourite and in no particular order. :oldrazz:

TASM1 felt the least like a Spider-Man suit to me (the web shooters were cool though). The CW suit would probably rank higher for me if they changed that spider symbol (I don't think the 'blockier' emblem fits with the aesthetic you get with the the curved shape of the lenses and it's just much too small).

I don't feel like I can say a great deal about the CW suit just yet though, not without more stills from the movie (although I don't want to see any more footage from the film!).
Fair enough. :up:

My major gripe with the CW suit is that it's too 'flat', and thus looks much too CGI-y. Almost like this:
[YT]WRDEaRBWXWA[/YT]

If they released a pic of Spidey in his practical suit like with Black Panther (even though BP still needs CGI enhancements), then maybe I'd be able to appreciate the suit more, but not with the single CGI shot that we have.

That was my first thought too. It looked like a cutscene from the Marvel Ultimate Alliance video game lol.

I think TASM1 costume looked great too. I didn't like it at all when we saw the first pic and then the set photos. It looked bad then but it looked awesome in motion in the actual movie.

Andrew_Garfield_-_The_Amazing_Spider-Man_2012_press_stills_002.jpg

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 suit is my favorite. I'll need to see more of the new suit to really make up my mind. The new suit does look great, it'll probably be my second or third favorite Spidey suit. It does look a bit too flat, and the CGI is not done. I wonder if Spidey is just completely CGI or if there is a costume somewhere. I'd like to see the actual costume. I don't like how small the spider symbol on the chest is and I don't like the weird black arrow things.

The Raimi movies still have the best live action Spider-Man costume.

1.Captain America: Civil War
2.(Raimi) Spider-Man
3.Amazing Spider-man
4.Amazing Spider-man 2

The CW suit is ahead by more than I expected. But still nice!

The Raimi suits were fantastic and a real eye opener to many that faithful suits could be successfully used in movies. My only gripe was just didn't think McGuire had the right physique for Spidey. Too broad. Oh and also the belt line looked too high. (minor gripe though)

Garfields first suit wasnt good (imo), the feet and whole design just was a step too far from the comics for me. I don't mind change if it looks good but I wasn't keen (marketing purposes seems to demand a new suit constantly and I guess a new actor meant they wanted a fresh start in as many ways as possible) I liked the eyes alot at the time though.

Garfields second suit was brilliant and his physique made it look fantastic in movement. Might have been my favourite overall to that point.

It's too early for me to comment on the CW suit fully as to where it is in my preference but I am liking what I've seen so far.

I don't mind the chevrons, I love the mechanical eyes and tick on the back. I even really like the front spider (half person half spider.) It's quite clever.
If that is Tom (or a representation of him) I'm liking his shape for Spidey too. All in all I'm impressed but would need to see more. (read that as I'm DESPERATE to see more lol)

I also like the flat webs. They're not exactly flat though as theyre actually lowered which I may prefer to the old raised webs. I know alot of folk don't agree though.

Last edited:
Interesting to see the Civil War and Raimi suits so close together. I figured the TASM2 suit would be higher. I'm leaning Civil War, so that's what I voted. It incorporates so many things from the comics I love and fixes the issues I had with previous suits (raised webbing, giant spider on the front, etc.). I love all the cinematic Spidey suits though. So it's always a tough call for me.

A bit clearer look at all the costumes thus far
2ryqyvb.jpg

I think the MCU suit is pretty damn cool and I love seeing the eyes in motion, but the ASM2 suit is the most classic. I don't like the eyes on the Raimi suits, but I think the poses are the most comic accurate. Even from what little we've seen, I think MCU Spidey will have great comic accurate poses, the humor I like from Peter Parker (they went for it in the ASM movies but fell flat, imo) and a really cool, creative suit that incorporates a lot of the variations we've seen in the comics. Not really a classic Spidey suit, but the mask is totally awesome, I love the logo, and it incorporates some of the suit variants really well (it looks to borrow a bunch from the Ben Reilly Spider suit). Again, back to the articulating eyes, I think that each "setting" will harken to a classic version of the eyes from the comics, so it's really a best of all worlds there.

The ASM1 suit is an abomination. I am all for taking risks, but that was an epic, epic failure.

Last edited:
I think the MCU suit is pretty damn cool and I love seeing the eyes in motion, but the ASM2 suit is the most classic. I don't like the eyes on the Raimi suits, but I think the poses are the most comic accurate. Even from what little we've seen, I think MCU Spidey will have great comic accurate poses, the humor I like from Peter Parker (they went for it in the ASM movies but fell flat, imo) and a really cool, creative suit that incorporates a lot of the variations we've seen in the comics. Not really a classic Spidey suit, but the mask is totally awesome, I love the logo, and it incorporates some of the suit variants really well (it looks to borrow a bunch from the Ben Reilly Spider suit). Again, back to the articulating eyes, I think that each "setting" will harken to a classic version of the eyes from the comics, so it's really a best of all worlds there.

The ASM1 suit is an abomination. I am all for taking risks, but that was an epic, epic failure.

While I really loved the Raimi suits at the time, they haven't aged well for me. The raised silver webbing looks clunky and it's true about Maguire's squat physique not helping the overall look, though that's not the fault of the suit design. Still, while I still think they're cool, the Raimi suits are below the TASM suits and the new CW suit for me. I'll need to see CW to determine where it places among suit designs though. For now:

TASM & TASM2 & CW suits are all tied
SM2
SM3
SM

(I don't know the differences between the Raimi suits, but they look slightly different in the attached images)

But if I had to choose one at this moment, I'd go with the new CW suit, love the classic Romita look.

Last edited:
If you look at all those pictures, the CW suit looks the most Comic Book-esque. It wins for me.

Sam raimi suit is more perfect why not use this, damn marvel, this more like movie version not cartoon or comic version like in cw with bad cgi, marvel more need fix this

Spidey need real suit not cgi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"