Comics Best Decade for Spidey Comics?

80's takes the lead. Roger Stern, Hobgoblin. My intro to Spider-Man.

1990's. Now I know it's not really the best decade for Spidey, but it's the one that means the most for me because it's when I started reading (with 'The Child Within' in 1991). I loved the Harry as Green Goblin stories, the Venom and Carnage stories, yes the Peter's parents stories and yes the Kaine and Ben Reilly stories.

If I grew up in the 80's or 00's my opinion would probably be different. But sentiment means a lot to me and the 90's stories are my classics.
I grew up in the 90s, was never fond of that era, 80s are my favorite, 2000s renewed my love

I never voted because it is hard to choose.

The 60's of course had the classic set-ups of all of Spidey's major villains except Venom. You have his origin and his high school and college days. You have Stan Lee, Steve Ditko, and John Romita. 'Nuff said!

The 70's was, like TMOB & iloveclones, my intro to Spidey comics. My original intro was the 60's Spider-Man cartoon in syndication. But I was Amazed at the level of detail in the art of Gil Kane pencils with Romita's inks. You had the classic deaths of Gwen and Gobby, the original clone saga, and the original development of Pete & MJ's relationship (see my avatar). Spidey even fought Superman! And of course there was the art of Ross Andru!

The 80's were my return to comics when I was in college. The Hobgoblin saga, gang wars, death of Jean DeWolff, Black Cat relationship, return of MJ, the black costume, Venom, and Pete & MJ's wedding. YES THEY WERE MARRIED. And then there was art like Frenz, Romita Jr., and then McFarlane later in the decade.

The 90's still had McFarlane & Eric Larsen at the beginning, but when Pete's "parents" showed up, the series went off the rails. Robo-parents, I am the Spider/Peter No More, Max Carnage, and poster child for the 90's Clone Saga. I admit, I was caught up in the Clone Saga and dug we got a new issue every week. My main gripe was when they tried to tell me the Pete I was reading since 75 was a clone.

My least favorite was 2000's. While I liked some of the JMS/Romita Jr. stuff, I wasn't a big fan of the totem stuff. And this decade was a mess. Reboots, blowing up MJ, separating Pete & MJ, Sins Past, the Other, how many times did Pete turn into a spider?, unmasking. And of course, OMD/BND/OMIT: my absolute WORST era for Spider-Man, ever.

If I had to choose my favorite, it would came from, the 60's, 70's, or 80's. And if we're talking reading first hand and fond memories, it's between the 70's & 80's, too close to call. But I may have to give an edge to the 80's (sorry TMOB).

I love the original 60's doesn't get any better than that. I actually think it was the late 70's- early 80's to be honest. I have my fair share of comics to make an opinion on it.

The 60's and it's not even close.

If I had to choose my favorite, it would came from, the 60's, 70's, or 80's. And if we're talking reading first hand and fond memories, it's between the 70's & 80's, too close to call. But I may have to give an edge to the 80's (sorry TMOB).

No worries... you and I grew up on the same Spider-Boat... :up:

If I look at that magical reading period between ages 8 & 18, I'm in the same 70's/80's split... and then it just comes down to Marv Wolfman stories versus Roger Stern stories, and Marv's beautiful ASM #200 always gives it the nudge; hence, why I always pick the 70's.

:yay:

Mr Ditko, is that you? :oldrazz:

It certainly ain't Stan Lee. :oldrazz:

I do think that Peter was going in one direction before John Romita came along and changed the course of the character by making him more social, romantic and outgoing. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. I think the character had his best uninterrupted run from Lee/Ditko's inception, Lee/Romita's evolution and finally to the Conaway/Kane/Romita's maturing of the character.

After 122 it kind of hit its peak and I don't think the character has ever really reached that height again, but in the late '70s/early '80s or so (Wolfman/Stern), the character found new blood as they were writing him as a growing young adult through the 1980s and into the early 1990s. After that, they kind of hit a wall of not wanting to let him go any further which ultimately has led to BND and an attempt to recycle those early runs all over again.

Oh well.

The Joker;21208743]The 60's and it's not even close.

I wouldn't say they aren't close, tbh. I think the 60's and 70's should almost be tied (with the 60's still coming in at #1). Such great stories and characters came out of both decades overall. And most of the events such as the Death of Captain Stacy, death of Gwen, death of norman, the ORIGINAL clone saga, etc, happened in those 20 years. I listed mainly the 70's events in this post because I already listed the big events of the 1960's comics in my other post. Anyway, Both decades are just so fantastic.

And the 80's comes in VERY close after the 60/s70's decades, IMO, as I said a few weeks ago. Who could forget Roger Stern's fantastic Hobgoblin arc?

Last edited:
Stern did so much more than just bring back a new angle to the Goblin mythos to Spidey... he gave the Vulture a much long overdue origin, the Juggernaut story, the Roxxon story involving the original Tarantula, Cobra & Mr. Hyde, etc...

The 80s.

When I first started reading Spider-Man comics, my comics were all from the 80s on up to the then-current early 90s.

Hobgoblin arc
Alien Costume
The Relationship with Mary-Jane
Black Cat
Kraven's Last Hunt
Venom
Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut
McFarlane
Michelinie

Stern did so much more than just bring back a new angle to the Goblin mythos to Spidey... he gave the Vulture a much long overdue origin, the Juggernaut story, the Roxxon story involving the original Tarantula, Cobra & Mr. Hyde, etc...
I like Tarantula as a villain, sad thing Stern killed him

Indeed. I was just pointing out just one of his famous stories. My second favorite story of his is Nothing Can Stop The Juggernaut.

Last edited:
i haven't read enough spidey to justify this but all the stuff i own is pretty much from the nineties and early naughties so i will have to go with that.

no, i call them naughties, i did quite a lot of misbehaving back in the day ;)

No worries... you and I grew up on the same Spider-Boat... :up:

If I look at that magical reading period between ages 8 & 18, I'm in the same 70's/80's split... and then it just comes down to Marv Wolfman stories versus Roger Stern stories, and Marv's beautiful ASM #200 always gives it the nudge; hence, why I always pick the 70's.

:yay:

Oddly, I wasn't such a big fan of #200 and it was around the time my interest in Spidey started to wan. It was a combo Andru was gone, MJ was gone, and I was entering high school. And also, didn't you say Marv Wolfman wanted MJ out of the series? To me, that's a strike against him.

However, the art is a major factor in enjoyment of the comic. And for that, Ross Andru could help nudge it to the 70's, as for me growing up such as yourself, this was Spider-Man & Pete! Definitely one of my top Spidey artist!

The 80's was like my return to Spidey. I was going to college, MJ was back, and the Hobgoblin was introduced to carry on the Goblin legacy. Now that I was older, I was more vested in the stories, the gang wars, his relationship with Black Cat, his growing relationship with MJ, death of Jean DeWolff, Secret Wars and the black costume, and the mystery of the Hobgoblin. Going to school in the city, it was fun going to Forbidden Planet to get new issues of Amazing, Spectacular, Team-Up, and Web of. This is why I give it a slight nudge past the 70's.

Plus as a bonus after college, Pete and MJ got MARRIED (yes it happened! :cwink: :woot:), and we got Venom & Todd McFarlane.

In the 2000s defense (as it hasn't a single vote) I will point out that Ultimate Spider-Man was a product of that decade. And USM was not only better than at least half of what was going on in 616 in the same timeframe (I'd say Sins Past-onwards, not to mention the lame Howard Mackie relaunch that kick started the decade), but it was better than much of the '90s stories as well (cough-Clone-Saga-Carnage-craze-and-Final-Chaper-cough). Still, with the 1960s and 1980s, I really don't see how either the '90s or '00s can get many votes and those were the ones I lived through.

^^ Ehhh, personally, I was never all that big on USM. I mean, I enjoyed a lot of aspects, but it just didn't latch onto me and most of the VIllains (aside from Borck's story) were poor, if you ask me. And while the Howard Mackie relaunch was pretty stupid, the JMS/JRJR run was fantastic, if you ask me. I've REALLY been enjoying ASM since BND overall.

Sins Past, The other, Civil War, and OMD were bad.

Last edited:
Wasn't the Mackie relaunch in 1998?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"