Best Superhero Movie of 2013 (out of the 5 released)?

I wouldn't call it a bad year, but there's no runaway movie (or in terms of last year, movies) like we had in previous year.

Sadly, I have not seen Thor... So i'll roll with the Wolverine

In terms of overall entertainment value, Iron Man 3 blows past everyone. The twist aside (which I warmed to), I really enjoyed it. The Wolverine comes really close, though.

Man of Steel has some great things about it (the action and Henry Cavill), but not so great (Michael Shannon's overacting, terrible dialogue). Thor: The Dark World is entertaining, but it lacks something. Kick-Ass 2 is the worst movie in the list, by a huge margin.

1.Thor The Dark World
2.The Wolverine
3.Iron Man 3
4.The Lone Ranger
5.Man Of Steel

In terms of overall entertainment value, Iron Man 3 blows past everyone. The twist aside (which I warmed to), I really enjoyed it.

I agree that Iron Man 3 is very entertaining movie, but it isn't what I would call a great superhero movie. I'd probably call it more of a spiritual sequel to Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang.

I agree that Iron Man 3 is very entertaining movie, but it isn't what I would call a great superhero movie. I'd probably call it more of a spiritual sequel to Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang.

That's what I meant. Huge entertainment value in its own right, thanks to RDJ and the snappy dialogue, but yeah -- not a great superhero movie. I would say The Wolverine is sort of in that ballpark too. It's a terrific character piece with some good action and a scene-stealing performance from Rila Fukushima -- but it's not a great superhero movie either.

I would say Man of Steel is the best superhero movie this year... but Snyder should've booted Goyer, brought in a different DP, and got someone competent to do a full rewrite. But when MOS hits those peaks, it really becomes something special. But when it dips, it's noticeable. I don't think Snyder and Goyer are going to improve their game with the followup unless they get one of Affleck's co-writers for a rewrite...

1) The Wolverine - by far one of the biggest surprises I've experienced in the cinema in years. Even more impressive given the change of directors.

2) Man of Steel - A solid and interesting start to a new world. Not quite the phenomenon but no where near as bad as some like to suggest.

3) & 4) Thor 2 & IM3 - You know, I always enjoy what Marvel brings to the table. They are consistent and are impressively stringing together a huge story (unlike the bumbling WB/DC partnership), but I'm starting to think they need to offer more than safe and good films. I suspect they will though with Guardians of the Galaxy.

5) Kick Ass 2 - Didn't do anything wrong and Hit Girl is always a highlight, but I just wasn't ever gripped by what I was watching.

Havent seen Kickass 2 (and not really interested to at this point, havent even see the first one lol), and my ranking is as follows:
1. Thor: The Dark World
2. The Wolverine
3. IM3
4. Man of Steel (the only one i'm truly disappointed by)

Thor is the only one that met my expectations. After re-watching Iron Man 3 and MoS...they're not as bad as I first felt.

3) & 4) Thor 2 & IM3 - You know, I always enjoy what Marvel brings to the table. They are consistent and are impressively stringing together a huge story (unlike the bumbling WB/DC partnership), but I'm starting to think they need to offer more than safe and good films. I suspect they will though with Guardians of the Galaxy.

I feel the same way. I like Marvel, and I have no problem with how they're doing things overall. I have a good, fun time at all their movies and all their characters have been good enough at least carry a movie.

At the same time though, I feel like they do play it too safe at times too. I liked Thor TDW, but it left me wanting more. Iron Man 3 in some ways I felt was progress in terms of risk, but to me other problems hurt the movie for me (not the twist, but more Killian's character).

1. Man of Steel - 9/10
2. Kick-Ass 2 - 8/10
3. The Wolverine - 8/10
4. Iron Man 3 - 7/10
5. Thor: The Dark World - 6/10

I don't even care about Red 2 or R.I.P.D. nor do I remember much about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"