Best Superhero Movie of 2013 (out of the 5 released)?

The book that comes with the Target Man of Steel says that the suit is a skin suit that the ships crew could use

The book that comes with the Target Man of Steel says that the suit is a skin suit that the ships crew could use

I read that earlier today, thought it was a pretty cool explanation. The artwork on that page also shows other armor/suits hanging up.

ku-xlarge.jpg

I've only seen MOS and Iron Man 3 so far, and MOS wins that battle by a mile. Still liked IM3 though.

Wow, people's rankings are all over the place.

Very few people have the same top 2 rankings let alone top 5.

Interesting.

I'm not surprised. For the first time in years there isn't a clear number one or even a clear number 2 movie. Four out of the five movies were very well received critically and financially though none of them were groundbreaking movies.

Y

Yeah, because petty *****ebags don't exist in life :funny:

None that cartoony and stupid.

I'm not surprised. For the first time in years there isn't a clear number one or even a clear number 2 movie. Four out of the five movies were very well received critically and financially though none of them were groundbreaking movies.

It is an odd year, I agree. But in defense of that, every year has their division. Last year, Avengers vs TDKR had no clear cut winner in fan vote. Every fan base will always pick their desired horse, or at least most of them will.

I just thought it was a suit that was in the ship which Jor-El made some changes to through the computer. I didnt need to read any book to figure this out, that scene really wasnt an issue for me as there are a few explanations to how it could have been there.

I just thought it was a suit that was in the ship which Jor-El made some changes to through the computer. I didnt need to read any book to figure this out, that scene really wasnt an issue for me as there are a few explanations to how it could have been there.

Like I said earlier, I disagree. Especially given the moment in which it happens. This may not be an issue for everyone, but it was for me. I'm good like that :oldrazz:

To be fair, Iron Man 3 has a similar moment for me (though I thought IM3 was overall better), and that is why doesn't Stark initiate the House Party protocal when his house is being destroyed? Especially given his Mark 42 was a prototype and not combat capable, he should have requested his back-up suits. That and Iron Man 3 has a sloppy ending.

Really, all of them have the 4 movies this year had these type of moments, but MoS I think had the one that bugged me most (which is trying to piece together exactly what Jor-El is trying to do...Yes, save his son and keep the codex away from Zod, but then he later mentions that he wanted the codex released when the races could co-exist. If Kal had no idea he had it, how was this supposed to happen? Was it a literal thing where it would come from him or symbolic in that Krypton lives inside him? It's not clear and somewhat bugs me).

Last edited:
Like I said earlier, I disagree. Especially given the moment in which it happens. This may not be an issue for everyone, but it was for me. I'm good like that :oldrazz:

Yeah I wasnt having a go at you or anything, so sorry if it came across like that, I just think there are plenty of explanations for that moment, it just a non-issue to me. Even on 1st viewing I assumed Jor-El had the ship make it from the suits already in there, we saw bodies in there, they must have had suits in there. There are probably bigger problems with MOS than this, but thats just me :yay:.

To be fair, Iron Man 3 has a similar moment for me (though I thought IM3 was overall better), and that is why doesn't Stark initiate the House Party protocal when his house is being destroyed? Especially given his Marl 42 was a prototype and not combat capable, he should have requested his back-up suits. That and Iron Man 3 has a sloppy ending.

Iron Man 3 had too many problems for me, I still enjoy it, but that enjoyment lowers every time I watch it, because of the problems you mentioned and more.

Really, all of them have the 4 movies this year had these type of moments, but MoS I think had the one that bugged me most (which is trying to piece together exactly what Jor-El is trying to do...Yes, save his son and keep the codex away from Zod, but then he later mentions that he wanted the codex released when the races could co-exist. If Kal had no idea he had it, how was this supposed to happen? Was it a literal thing where it would come from him or symbolic in that Krypton lives inside him? It's not clear and somewhat bugs me).

Well the drive with the S symbol on it contained all of the information he wanted his son to have, similar to the crystals in STM. Jor-El informed Clark of the codex once he entered that drive into the ship. Clark knew then what the codex was. He wanted to save his son but also give Krypton the chance to live again with the codex, but under Kal-El's influence rather than Zods. Its heavily implied that Jor-El knew the scout ship on Earth and thats one of the reasons he chose there for his son to escape too.

This ultimately gave Kal-El the choice to re-build Kryptonian culture and have new Kryptonians co-exist with Earthlings. But Zod arriving on Earth changed all of that, especially because of his plans with the codex and replacing the human race with Kryptonians rather than co-existing. Its why Clark is ultimately given the choice in the movie to either let Zod complete his mission, or say goodbye completely to his old world, in the he chooses Earth and humanity, because "Kyrpton had its chance." Again this didnt confuse me either. How many times have you seen the movie Spidey? I ask because if its just once you may have missed a lot of subtle hints about things in the movie. Even on my 3rd viewing I was noticing new things which explained the story a little.

For it goes
The wolverine- had the best story and executed it best
Thor: the dark world- simple story but it was a fun, well made scifi/ fantasy flick with good characters
Man of steel- while the script was great I really enjoyed the rawness to the film, I was emotionally invested when I needed to be and it had the best action.
Iron man 3- I ranks this on the same level as man of steel as each movie accomplished what the other failed at, and vice versa, at least for me. Iron man 3 had a very well thought out story and screenplay with great dialogue (as oppose to the far less polished story of man of steel). However, IM3 was so wrapped up in trying to be a clever subversion of everything that it had to turn every potentially satisfying dramatic beat into throw away joke, which made it difficult to get invested emotionally with what was happening.
Kick ass 2- I had fun watching it but this was a very stupid movie and substantially inferior to the first one in almost every way.

Yeah I wasnt having a go at you or anything, so sorry if it came across like that, I just think there are plenty of explanations for that moment, it just a non-issue to me. Even on 1st viewing I assumed Jor-El had the ship make it from the suits already in there, we saw bodies in there, they must have had suits in there. There are probably bigger problems with MOS than this, but thats just me :yay:.

No worries :up:

They're a high tech society that could prob do something like this, but my problem was the timing. We have this montage going of Kal learning about his past, which is important. The suit just popping up just felt weird to me. I would have liked some form of hint at it prior to it happening, cause the delivery just feels weird.

Iron Man 3 had too many problems for me, I still enjoy it, but that enjoyment lowers every time I watch it, because of the problems you mentioned and more.

IM3 is very entertaining, I agree. But I wish a few subplots got more play in the movie. The shrapnel removal also was woefully underdeveloped, and it makes Stark look lazy for not doing it years ago if it was that simple.

Well the drive with the S symbol on it contained all of the information he wanted his son to have, similar to the crystals in STM. Jor-El informed Clark of the codex once he entered that drive into the ship. Clark knew then what the codex was. He wanted to save his son but also give Krypton the chance to live again with the codex, but under Kal-El's influence rather than Zods. Its heavily implied that Jor-El knew the scout ship on Earth and thats one of the reasons he chose there for his son to escape too.

This ultimately gave Kal-El the choice to re-build Kryptonian culture and have new Kryptonians co-exist with Earthlings. But Zod arriving on Earth changed all of that, especially because of his plans with the codex and replacing the human race with Kryptonians rather than co-existing. Its why Clark is ultimately given the choice in the movie to either let Zod complete his mission, or say goodbye completely to his old world, in the he chooses Earth and humanity, because "Kyrpton had its chance." Again this didnt confuse me either. How many times have you seen the movie Spidey? I ask because if its just once you may have missed a lot of subtle hints about things in the movie. Even on my 3rd viewing I was noticing new things which explained the story a little.

I saw it 3 or 4 times, and this plot point is still somewhat fuzzy to me. I know it was a struggle of co-existing vs conquest, and I understand all those points. But, how Jor-El planned to have it extracted and how he had planned for Kal to go about possible peace (if that was the goal) are somewhat unclear. I actually think all the scenes between Kal and Zod are very strong. It's more how Jor-El was trying to get from point A to B were weird.

Like I said, MoS was a fun movie, but there are few gaps like that in it for me.

I have only seen Iron Man 3, Man of Steel and The Wolverine once. Haven't seen the others. I didn't mind those three, though I'm not exactly sure which one I prefer. I'm finding myself leaning to Iron Man 3.

I'll have to see Thor: The Dark World one of these days.

Here they are according to critics

Iron Man 3 79%
---------------Certified Fresh
The Wolverine 69%
Thor: The Dark World 65%
---------------Rotten
Man Of Steel 56%
Kick-Ass 2 30%

With 2 movies rotten and only 1 movie certified fresh, the year has been okay. According to critics 2 out of the 5 suck and only 3 are good. So I wouldn't say ALL have been well received or anything.

MOS
IM 3
Kickass 2
Thor 2
Wolvie.

Here they are according to critics

Iron Man 3 79%
---------------Certified Fresh
The Wolverine 69%
Thor: The Dark World 65%
---------------Rotten
Man Of Steel 56%
Kick-Ass 2 30%

With 2 movies rotten and only 1 movie certified fresh, the year has been okay. According to critics 2 out of the 5 suck and only 3 are good. So I wouldn't say ALL have been well received or anything.

Rotten Tomatoes gave the Star Wars prequel trilogy better scores than the movies that came out this year and Sharknado is at 80%, their opinion is no longer valid.

Rotten Tomatoes gave the Star Wars prequel trilogy better scores than the movies that came out this year and Sharknado is at 80%, their opinion is no longer valid.
I think people have a love hate relationship with critics. When critics give good grades to a movie they like, they are like Whoa! Critics are awesome! Look how critically acclaimed this movie is! Woohoo!

And when critics tear apart a movie they love, they go Damn Critics! Monsters! Nazis! They know nothing about cinema! They suck!

Not saying its you but there are many many many people this away, specially in the superehero fandom community. Many Nolanites celebrated when TDK got good reviews but were devastated when the critics tore apart MOS. It is definitely a schizophrenic relationship many fans have with critics.

I think people have a love hate relationship with critics. When critics give good grades to a movie they like, they are like Whoa! Critics are awesome! Look how critically acclaimed this movie is! Woohoo!

And when critics tear apart a movie they love, they go Damn Critics! Monsters! Nazis! They know nothing about cinema! They suck!

Not saying its you but there are many many many people this away, specially in the superehero fandom community. Many Nolanites celebrated when TDK got good reviews but were devastated when the critics tore apart MOS. It is definitely a schizophrenic relationship many fans have with critics.

It's a hit or miss with these people really. I'm glad Snyder won back the fans who lost faith in cinematic Superman after Stalkerman: The Movie though. Step 2 onward will be better.

Interesting results so far. The most any movie has managed is 35%.

I have not seen Thor 2 yet so my vote goes to IM3.

IM3 > Wolverine > Meh of Steel

PS : I didn't really cared for Kick Ass 2 but it was Ok.

No worries :up:

They're a high tech society that could prob do something like this, but my problem was the timing. We have this montage going of Kal learning about his past, which is important. The suit just popping up just felt weird to me. I would have liked some form of hint at it prior to it happening, cause the delivery just feels weird.

But the thing is we see Jor-El wearing the same suit in the same scene, and earlier in movie, and when he is telling Kal about Kryptons past and going out to the stars, the \S/ is shown on the flags they would plant on new worlds. So it either being in the ship already or Jor-El's conscious getting the ship to make it made perfect sense to me in the scene.

IM3 is very entertaining, I agree. But I wish a few subplots got more play in the movie. The shrapnel removal also was woefully underdeveloped, and it makes Stark look lazy for not doing it years ago if it was that simple.

Yeah, so far phase 2 is just a lot of wasted potential for me, its like they have no ambition with these movies beyond making them good. IM3 and especially Thor 2 had the potential to match The Avengers in terms of scale and ambition, but both fell way short.

The shrapnel removal was awful, its makes Iron Man 2 and a lot of what Stark says in The Avengers completely irrelevant. All they had to do was throw in the line from the Extremis comic were Stark mentions technology finally caught up with him and he could have it removed. So lazy and poor.

I saw it 3 or 4 times, and this plot point is still somewhat fuzzy to me. I know it was a struggle of co-existing vs conquest, and I understand all those points. But, how Jor-El planned to have it extracted and how he had planned for Kal to go about possible peace (if that was the goal) are somewhat unclear. I actually think all the scenes between Kal and Zod are very strong. It's more how Jor-El was trying to get from point A to B were weird.

Like I said, MoS was a fun movie, but there are few gaps like that in it for me.

I thought it was obvious Jor-El left it up to Kal about whether he wanted to give re-birth to Kryptonians or not. Jor-El said he was as much a child of Earth now so if he wanted to re-create them he would be the bridge between them that would help them co-exist. Again Zod coming to Earth changed things a lot and Kal ended up having to choose between his birth race or his adopted one.

There is a best "comic book movie" thread on the misc comic films board...and that one also neglects to include several comic book movies that were released this year. At least this thread didn't even pretend and cut straight to "superhero."

I haven't seen The Wolverine or Kick Ass 2, but so far Loki (and some other guy): The Dark Macguffin is my favorite, in a pretty spectacularly bad year for comic book movies.

There is a best "comic book movie" thread on the misc comic films board...and that one also neglects to include several comic book movies that were released this year. At least this thread didn't even pretend and cut straight to "superhero."

I haven't seen The Wolverine or Kick Ass 2, but so far Loki (and some other guy): The Dark Macguffin is my favorite, in a pretty spectacularly bad year for comic book movies.

That was mine, I thought 2 Guns was the only one I missed, but I did put an 'other' option at least.

Man of Steel

Wolverine
Iron Man 3

Haven't seen thor yet

Man of Steel then Thor. Rest is pretty meh. Plus we could count DTV's those were sick this year.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"