Best / Worst of 2009

Best Performance by a TV actor in a Movie Role: Zachary Quinto in Star Trek

Worst Performance by a TV actor in a Movie Role: Michael C. Hall in Gamer, Jon Hamm in The Day the Earth Stood Still, Dylan Walsh in The Stepfather

Best:
Inglourious Basterds
Encounters at the End of the World

Worst:
Watchmen
The Limits of Control

For the life of me, I'll never understand all the hate for Watchmen. I thought it was damn near perfect.

i really hated The Taking of Pelham 123... Worst Remake of 2009

Update...

Best Actor: Jeremy Renner, The Hurt Locker
Worst Actor: still Tatum

Most Underrated Horror Film of the Year: Pandorum
Most Overrated Horror Film of the Year: Drag Me to Hell
This is the equivalent to dividing by zero...No other movie can take that title other than Paranormal Activity :oldrazz:

agreed i thought watchmen was damn near perfect aswell

For the life of me, I'll never understand all the hate for Watchmen. I thought it was damn near perfect.

I hope he hasn't seen Wolverine: Origins, Dragonball or Chun-Li. If he has and he still thinks Watchemn is one of the worst films of 2009...that doesn't really make any sense.

I didn't care much for watchmen the first time i saw it. But after a second viewing i liked it a lot better.

Watchmen was alright, but I can't say I thought it was anywhere close to 'near-perfect'.

I guess I would understand if the people who hated the movie weren't familiar with the graphic novel. I could see a random person, with no prior knowledge of the characters or the story walking into it and thinking "What the hell is this?" Because someone like that would probably be expecting a straight-up, run-of-the-mill superhero film.

What I don't get are the people who DO know the story, who claim that because of some very minor changes here and there, that the film was some sort of bastardization. The story is so massive that no director could fit every single detail into a film. The fact that Snyder was able to get the majority of the points across and hit all of the major plot points is very admirable. But yet, people want to complain about Dr. Manhattan not using enough technical jargon or the "Ernie" dialogue being missing.

I'm sorry, but I think I would understand a fanboy complaining about The Dark Knight more than I understand these gripes over Watchmen.

I am fully aware of the 'graphic novel' and it's story and narrative, and I still feel the movie is okay at best. There's some pretty subpar to outright horrible acting outside a few exceptions, horridly misplaced action/slow-mo scenes that completely derail the tone of the rest of the movie, some of the horrible music sections which did similarly, etc. And, if you want to get to the source material, there was a lot of smaller changes that did hurt it a lot, in my opinion.

Fair enough, but I still think that he got most of it right. And I thought the acting was good from at least the main characters. I think that Ackerman was the only one who was lacking. My only real complaint about the film was how they made Ozy a little too sinister from the get-go.

With Watchmen, it felt like Snyder just missed the point. Nothing expresses this better then the ending where Niteowl beats up Ozymandias to tell the audience "this is what you should think about Ozymandias' actions."

I'll agree that Snyder did about as good a job he could I suppose, but I disagree about the actors. I thought Nite-Owl and Spectre were pretty flat for the most part (I won't say bad, but I thought both seemed out of their range), but I felt the actor who portrayed Ozy was basically awful from the get-go.

I think it was the accent, it seemed off, but Goode was pretty good(no pun intended).

The accent was part of it, but the whole performance was pretty weak. He came off as one of those cheesier Bond villains or something.

With Watchmen, it felt like Snyder just missed the point. Nothing expresses this better then the ending where Niteowl beats up Ozymandias to tell the audience "this is what you should think about Ozymandias' actions."
Yeah. My thing was Snyder was just never the right guy to do the movie. He's an action director only, and Watchmen as material is almost the opposite of his sensibilities. He did the best he could, and it's not a complete disaster, but it wasn't enough.

My list so far.

Best :woot:

1. Avatar - 10/10
  2. Up - 10/10
  3. Ponyo - 10/10
  4. Up in the Air - 9/10
  5. Inglorious Bastards - 9/10
  6. Taken - 9/10
  7. District 9 - 8.5/10
  8. Coraline - 8/10
  9. The Hurt Locker - 8/10
  10. Terminator Salvation - 8/10
  11. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - 7.5/10
  12. Precious - 7.5/10
  13. Watchmen - 7/10
  14. Knowing - 7/10
On the edge :awesome:

1. The Hangover - 6.5/10
  2. Angels and Demons - 6/10
  3. State of Play - 6/10
  4. Monsters Vs. Aliens - 6/10
Worst :o

1. Transformers Revenge of the Fallen -5/10
  2. X-men Origins Wolverine - 5/10
  3. Push - 5/10
  4. A Serious Man - 5/10
  5. Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs - 4/10
  6. The Soloist - 4/10

Funny how opinions differ. I would completely swap around the positions of Avatar and A Serious Man. :p

Best of 2009:
1. Zombieland (10/10)
2. Up (9/10)
3. The Road (9/10)

Worst of 2009:
1. X-men Origins: Wolverine (2/10)
2. New Moon (2/10)
3. GI Joe (3/10)

Most Over-rated: Inglorious Bastards
Most Under-rated: Terminator Salvation
Unrightfully criticized: Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen

Users who are viewing this thread