2. District 9
3. The Hurt Locker
4. Star Trek
5. Inglorious Basterds
6. The Road
7. Watchmen (Ultimate Cut)
8. Up In the Air
9. Sherlock Holmes
10. Avatar (enjoyed it, but I still see it as heavily flawed)

I won't even go into the worst, there were some stinkers, that was for sure.

[A];17959389 said:
I call him Galiniakis. Him and Ed Helms were my favourites :up:

I almost called him Alan Galifianakis. It would've been embarrassing if I'd messed up the easy part of his name. :o

[A];17959343 said:
Worst attempt of a hip, cool, supposedly meaningful rom-com: (500) Days of Summer.

Except that it is hip, cool and meaningful. And it's not really a rom-com.

Indeed. What is so bad about (500) Days? I watched it twice in the last week and it was funnier the second time. It was effective, witty and really, really well directed, edited and acted. Yes, it is not the first movie to do its scenes in a jumbled out of order narrative. But it did it so much better than I'm used to seeing and Levit deserves mucho praise for his performance.

How were the trailers for The Road atrocious? I thought they were pretty effective.

the early promotion completly misrepresented the tone and amount of action in the film, it looked like I am legend, but with viggo.

Except that it is hip, cool and meaningful. And it's not really a rom-com.

Indeed. What is so bad about (500) Days? I watched it twice in the last week and it was funnier the second time. It was effective, witty and really, really well directed, edited and acted. Yes, it is not the first movie to do its scenes in a jumbled out of order narrative. But it did it so much better than I'm used to seeing and Levit deserves mucho praise for his performance.
To each their own, and all that crap -- guess I don't buy everything that Hollywood sells :cwink:

I would hardly call that a Hollywood product, considering it is an indie from a first time director. Iif you bought into everything Hollywood sells you'd think Avatar was the best movie of the year if not ever....;) :oldrazz:

500 Days of Summer is a great movie. And it doesn't hurt that it has one of the most perfect final scenes in the history of ever.

I'll try to rank my favorite movies of 2009:

Sherlock Holmes - Not the best movie on the list but the one I enjoyed the most. I can't wait for the sequel.
Inglourious Basterds - I can't remember the last time I was so tense watching a movie, and Hans Landa was an unforgettable character.
Star Trek
Up
An Education
Watchmen
The Hangover - Zach Galifianakis really made this movie. Not sure they should make a sequel.
GI Joe - Goofy fun, but the ending sucked.
Public Enemies - A hard movie to rate. I didn't dislike it while I was watching it, but it was instantly forgettable. I'm not even interested in seeing it again.
Invictus - Dull first half, but it picks up at the end. I probably shouldnt've read the book first.
X-Men Origins: Wolverine - Not a good movie, but moderately entertaining.
Terminator Salvation - A real disappointment.

I left Invictus and PE out of my original list. I knew I'd forgotten one.

Last edited:
After seeing Up in the Air, I think I can make an official top 10 list...

1. Avatar
2. Inglourious Basterds
3. Star Trek
4. District 9
5. Up in the Air
6. The Hurt Locker
7. Up
8. (500) Days of Summer
9. The Hangover
10. State of Play

the early promotion completly misrepresented the tone and amount of action in the film, it looked like I am legend, but with viggo.

I can see where you're coming from, there. But trailers are a tricky thing. You have to go with what (you think) will bring people in. In the case of The Road, I suppose it didn't work, but I think it may have also been a case of not building enough momentum with the promotion. Aside from those of us who were already familiar with it, I don't think many people knew about the movie until right before it came out. That's usually the recipe for a flop.

But I still wouldn't call it a bad trailer. You want to see a bad trailer? THIS is a bad trailer.

As of right now, my current top 5 (in alphabetical order):

Adventureland
Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Up In The Air

Finally got around to seeing Up and Up in the Air.
They will be added to my Best movies of 2009 category. :)

Haven't seen Moon, but I will now with alot of people's recommendations.

Best movie: District 9. Its one of the few films I'd actually go back and watch the entire film again from start to finish and still enjoy it.

Worst movie: Avatar and Sherlock Homles tied. Watched only 30 minutes of Holmes then walked out. I stayed for Avatar as I already invested 2 hours waiting to actually get in to see it. Figured I should at least stay till the end to see if it would be any different then what I thought it would be after watching the first 10 minutes of the film. It did not and I wound up losing 5 hours of my life that I'll never get back.

I've seen every movie I've wanted to see out of 2009 with the exception of a few. So here it is.

Best Movies of 2009

1. Sherlock Holmes
2. Inglourious Basterds
3. Fantastic Mr. Fox
4. Star Trek
5. District 9
6. Up in the Air
7. (500) Days of Summer
8. Up
9. Public Enemies
10. Drag Me to Hell

Honorable mentions: Avatar, Watchmen, The Hangover, Zombieland, Coraline, Taken

Not a very solid year. I'm hoping next year will be better, this list might change once I seem some of the other films I missed this year (The Road, The Hurt Locker, The Lovely Bones, Invictus)

Worst of 2009

1. Dragonball Evolution
2. Disney's A Christmas Carol
3. Paranormal Activities
4. Halloween II
5. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

I avoided most of the **** this year.

Update!

Best Movies of 2009

1. Sherlock Holmes
2. Inglourious Basterds
3. Fantastic Mr. Fox
4. Star Trek
5. Moon
6. The Hurt Locker
7. District 9
8. Up in the Air
9. (500) Days of Summer
10. Up

Honorable mentions:

11. Public Enemies
12. Drag Me to Hell
13. The Lovely Bones
14. The Imaginorium of Doctor Parnassus
15. Coraline
16. Avatar
17. Watchmen
18. Zombieland
19. The Hangover
20. Taken

Worst of 2009

1. Dragonball Evolution
2. Disney's A Christmas Carol
3. Paranormal Activities
4. Halloween II
5. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Update...

Best Actor: Jeremy Renner, The Hurt Locker
Worst Actor: still Tatum

Most Underrated Horror Film of the Year: Pandorum
Most Overrated Horror Film of the Year: Drag Me to Hell

Haven't seen Moon, but I will now with alot of people's recommendations.

Best movie: District 9. Its one of the few films I'd actually go back and watch the entire film again from start to finish and still enjoy it.

Worst movie: Avatar and Sherlock Homles tied. Watched only 30 minutes of Holmes then walked out. I stayed for Avatar as I already invested 2 hours waiting to actually get in to see it. Figured I should at least stay till the end to see if it would be any different then what I thought it would be after watching the first 10 minutes of the film. It did not and I wound up losing 5 hours of my life that I'll never get back.

wow, what was so wrong with Holmes that you walked out after 30 minutes?

I cant decide wats my top movie of 2009...
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, Star Trek or Avatar

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"